Cover Image: 'Til I Want No More

'Til I Want No More

‘Til I Want No More by Robin Pearson

Robin’s latest book focuses on a family facing a time of reckoning. The daughter, Maxine is engaged and writes about the wedding planning.  As she navigates the challenges of planning for a new life with her fiancé Teddy, she must confront her past.  Of course, like in real life, the confrontation gets messy.

What I liked about this book is that it features a family of color, which seems to be under-represented in Christian fiction that I have read.  I also enjoyed the appearance of characters from her previous book. I also found that the  author’s message of second chances and forgiveness was healing.  I think that there are readers who will identify with Maxine and gain courage from her experience.

Robin creates a world that a reader can readily step into and feel like the characters are family.  She creates characters that are likeable, ordinary and yes, flawed.  If you enjoy a visit to family, this book will take you there.  I am grateful to the publisher for a free copy for this, my honest review.
Great character development coupled with finding your self-worth makes this a must read for 2021!

Maxine has had her ups and downs in life, but she finally thinks that she has things in order.  She writes a column for a faith publication and is engaged to a young headmaster that oversees a local school.  Things seem to be going in the right direction.  But when they begin their year of premarital classes, things from Maxine’s past she has tried to put behind her begin to work their way back.  When the man that she fell in love with back in high school returns to town, even more skeletons emerge from the closet.  She’s trying to convince everyone that she is fine, but no one close to her believes it.  As they move closer to the wedding date, Maxine realizes that the secrets that she has been holding from everyone have to become known, which could alter her future.  She must look and learn what it means to be truly known and loved by the one who wonderfully and fearfully made her.

To put this book in context, it is geared toward Maxine’s character development, which puts it at a little bit slower pace than reading for action or suspense.  The focus is on her life and what she has gone through to get where she is and how she is not quite where she really needs to be with herself or with God.  I love that Pearson used some of the same characters from her previous book to help Maxine in her progression.  It’s always fun when a reader gets to visit characters from a previous novel to see how they are moving in their journey as well, almost like catching up with an old friend.  It’s very easy to form an emotional connection with Maxine and even get pulled down when she finds herself in despair.  As a reader, you just want the truth to come out for her so that she can finally begin to heal and stop spiraling downward.  This book just goes to show that even people who appear like they have it all together can be just a depressed as anyone else.

I’m not going to give anything away in this book, but just when you think you have something figured out about Maxine, the truth comes out and it throws you for a loop.  This happened multiple times.  I also liked the twist at the end that showed the one person she tried to keep in the dark already knew and that was causing more of a strain than anything else.  Great story to kick off the new year! I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher.  The views and opinions expressed within are my own.
This author masterfully creates a heart-felt story with a depth and richness of character I enjoyed and couldn’t put down. The family dynamics are real and relatable. I felt part of this community and adored the small-town setting. Things do not play out the way I thought they would. I loved that! I also liked how the characters evolve, along with the story and their situation.

I read a recent interview with the author who shared her inspiration for this story, she says, “I tend to cling to the past and my mistakes like they are life rafts, when in reality, they’re dragging me under and away from God’s saving grace. ’Til I Want No More is both a confession and an admonition: When Jesus says in Luke 6:37, “Forgive, and you will be forgiven,” it includes forgiving Robin. I must trust what God says about me and not let anything or anyone—my husband, children, parents, friends, enemies, work, success, or failure—tell me who I am.”

I appreciated how the author dealt with this revelation and relevant topics in a non-preachy way. She says, “Maxine’s story puts faith into practice by highlighting current, real-life topics. These topics include the dynamics of mother-daughter relationships, “parenting” adult children, nontraditional families, premarital counseling, and the emotional effects of losing a parent. I think it is important for believers to see that our Bible isn’t a history book; it serves as our authority on current events.”

This author recently earned a Christy Award for her first novel, A Long Time Comin’.  I was deeply moved by that story, the characters, and their situation. I know that both novels would work well for your next book club pick. If you haven’t read this author’s novels, I highly recommend them. This book is a must read and this author is one to watch.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I have received a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network blog www.bookfun.org
TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES!

Robin W. Pearson has written a perfect example of Southern Fiction! It is a story that is told slowly, as one would share with a best friend while sipping a glass of sweet tea in the front porch swing. Pearson has created a relatable cast of characters and a family unit that makes you feel immediately as if you are more of a participant in the story than just a reader. Because of that, the reader may find it easier to invest in the slower pace of the story. Maxine has found herself in a big, ole mess. Unfortunately, she has no one to blame but herself for the mess. The question is what is she going to do about it? She is engaged to the man of her dreams, Theodore Charles. She has been keeping a very important piece of information from him. The kind of information that could change everything. When her old High School boyfriend, JD, moves back to town, suddenly her carefully planned out life begins to unravel. Maxine finds an unlikely ally in Theodore’s Pastor’s wife and she will be a mentor as well as a true and faithful friend. It is a story about truth and consequences. Love can conquer all. All families are complicated, some just much more so than others! Mainly, this is a beautiful story of forgiveness and redemption!

I was provided a complimentary copy of this novel by Tyndale House Publishers and NetGalley. The opinions expressed here are completely my own and without influence.
Robin W. Pearson has written a poignant story of forgiveness and redemption in 'Til I Want No More. This novel is definitely character-driven and moves at a slower pace, but that is part of its Southern charm. Maxine is a compelling heroine - although at times you want to say, “What were you thinking?," her fears, dreams, and inner musings make her so relatable. The whole cast of characters - Maxine's parents and grandparents, her friend Evelyn, and Pastor Atwater and his wife all added richness and depth to the story as they helped Maxine face her past.

This book is a powerful look at how the secrets we keep can have such an impact on everyone around us - but it’s never too late to tell the truth and be set free. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to fans of Lauren K. Denton, Beth Vogt, and Ashley Clark!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This is my first book by Robin Pearson and I enjoyed her writing and the community of characters she created. I have mixed reviews because I enjoyed her writing and the authentic dialogue but I just couldn't connect with the plot  and the main character Maxine. I felt like Celeste was more mature than her (spoiler alert) own mother.. The elements of faith were powerful and this book was definitely a work of fiction with a wonderful purpose and message.
Southern Fiction as only Southern Fiction should be, a well told story. Pearson has the gift of inviting a reader in and joining the family. She serves up her stories with a glass of ice tea and a seat on the porch.
Maxine's past and present are colliding. A decision she made when she is 17 is coming back to haunt her. Will her high school self, ruin her adult plans?
A sequel to A Long Time Comin', but your do not need to read one to read the other. You just get to visit with old friends if you do.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review. This was another request strictly because of the cover and I can't say I liked it as much as I was hoping to. The cover made me feel much more than the actual book did...It wasn't a BAD book but it was much slower than I thought it might be and not a whole lot actually happened, in my opinion. The main character is Maxine, a woman who is going through premarital counseling and having to confront some past issues at the same time. She loves Teddy and wants to marry him but her ex boyfriend/husband comes back into town and makes her confront her past...one item being the fact that the girl who was raised as her sister is actually her daughter. I think my main issue with the book was the fact I did not connect with any of the characters...also no matter what I read, I can't see that this book would be as religious as it actually was. I have no problem with religion but if a book is going to have so much, I kind of like to prepare for that so my head can get in the proper place.
This was a little difficult for me to get into the story.  Loved the columns written by the character more than the story line.
An enjoyable book by Robin W. Pearson.  I struggled a bit with the slower pace of the novel, but it was a well written storyline.  Fans of women's fiction should check this book out!

I received a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are mine.
'TIL I WANT NO MORE by ROBIN W. PEARSON is a beautifully written book, with a strong Christian message and a story that will really speak to your heart.
Maxine Owens is engaged to Theodore Charles and, in the very popular weekly column she writes for a magazine, she shares how this change in her life is affecting her. She has a wonderful way with words as does her stepfather, who she calls "First John".
Although she writes with ease, she has a problem with telling the truth about her past and is eaten up with guilt, in spite of her baptism and conversion to Christ. Her engagement to Teddy, their pre-marital counselling with the Atwaters, and the return of J.D. to the area, make it imperative for her to tell the truth before it leaks out.
I like the way the author shows what Maxine is going through, with not only her written words, but with the strange dreams that plague her. I like the way we are also given insight into the feelings of the other characters, and also the very real interaction between the family members. There is also a strong sense of wanting to feel worthy of belonging, and of letting go of feelings of rejection.
It is a story about forgiveness, redemption, second chances, and about speaking the truth about the past in
order to be set free from it.
'Til I Want No More is a worthwhile read and one I can highly recommend.
I was given an ARC copy of the book by Tyndale House Publishers from NetGalley. The opinions in this review are completely my own.