Cover Image: The Man In Milan

The Man In Milan

When a former Italian Air force pilot gets bumped off in New York, detectives Paul (Paolo) Rossi and Hamilton P. Turner get drawn into a series of murders that will eventually lead them to Italy where they get entangled in a more than 40 years old aviation crime, the "strage di Ustica". The crash of a commercial airplane with 81 people on board above the coast of a small island called Ustica that already forms a mystery for 40 years has never completely been solved.

While in Italy (Rome, Sicily, Ustica and  Milano) they get involved in the rather cloak and dagger developments between various Police forces and Gladio, Italy’s powerful, shadowy political cabal, that is said to be responsible  for several attacks during the 80's in Italy. That is to say, either them or the Brigate Rosse (Red Brigades). In this confusion of factions it is very hard to know whom to trust, as  they find  out to their detriment.

I'm a bit at two mind about the book, I rather liked the overall story and some parts were really exciting and full of suspense while I found other parts rather dull and difficult to read. Maybe this was because of a lot of American slang, although normally this doesn't bother me much.

Still and interesting read that I would recommend for a nice read at the pool or the beach, or on  a plane to Italy.

a big 3 stars
I want to thank Netgalley, the author and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
When a man is found shot to death on the streets in New York Detective Paul Rossi and his partner Hamilton P. Turner are called in to investigate.

The victim is identified as Gaetano Muro a diplomat who works at the Italian consulate.
Days later, Muro’s estranged wife’s house is ransacked, and shortly after she’s killed.

As the police investigate they discover that Muro had approached a reporter earlier trying to sell some kind of story to him. Now it’s up to the police to find the connection between their deaths.

Overall an interesting read. Would recommend.

Thank you to Vito Racanelli, NetGalley, and Polis Books for the ARC of this book.
An excellent thriller that kept me hooked till the end.
It's interesting how it deals with a historical fact, Ustica, and develops a complex and gripping plot.
It's highly entertaining and the plot is tightly knitted.
The characters are interesting and it was a lot of fun trying to understand who the bad guys are.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
terrorism, conspiracy, international-crime-and-mystery, thriller, suspense, corruption, Italy, NYC, humor, organized-crime, situational-humor, verbal-humor*****

The story is based on real-world events of an aviation disaster, the ‘Ustica Massacre:’ The 40-Year-Old Aviation Mystery Almost exactly 40 years ago, in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, civil aviation experienced what would become one of the most mysterious accidents of its history.
Rossi and Turner, partner NYPD detectives start with the body that turns out to belong to an Italian national married to a daughter of a very wealthy New Yorker ad the due diligence takes them to reporters, hit men, a Carabinieri officer, and a whole lot more. Fun guys who do things like sitting in an obvious unmarked police car with opera blasting out the windows. A really great read!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Polis Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
NYPD detectives Paul Rossi and Hamilton P. Turner begin investigating the murder of an Italian air force pilot which leads them to discover a potential cover-up of the Ustica massacre, the most horrific aviation crime in Italian history. Along the way they come across a few corrupt people who will stop at nothing to stop them revealing the truth. The investigate takes them from New York to Italy.

I throughly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend to read.

Paul and Hamilton are well written characters. They are entertaining as a team and gel well together in the book. They each have there vices and faults but that makes the characters more realistic as they aren’t perfect.

The author leads up to suspect many people in the book behind the crimes. Half the fun in this book is guessing who the bad people are. I did have a feeling about one of them.

The book is fast paced action all the way and it never lets up. The actual case is interesting as well which has a few twists in.

I hoping we get to see Paul and Hamilton in the future in another book.

I received a ARC from Netgalley and Polis Books for an objection review
Oh my gosh. One of my favorite authors is Daniel Silva and if you enjoy his books please consider reading this one. This author sets the bar high with a tale of international political intrigue. If you are looking for a new author to start reading you need to check this one out. Fast paced, well written and exciting are all aspects of this book. I am looking forward to reading many more from this author in the future.
SYNOPSIS:
When NYPD detectives Paul Rossi and Hamilton P. Turner begin investigating the Sutton Place murder of an Italian air force pilot, the last thing they expect is that they will and find themselves sucked into the potential cover-up of the Ustica massacre, the most horrific aviation crime in Italian history, in which all 81 souls on board perished.

REVIEW: Debut novelist Vito Racanelli takes you from the streets of NYC to the cobblestone paths of Italy to uncover the truth about a 20yr old tragedy and it's subsequent, and on-going, cover-up. A murder in the US leads two NYC detectives onto a trail of international intruige, political corruption, organized crime, chases, shoot-outs, references to italian art. You'll never know who to trust, but believe that there will be deceit in this fast-paced, international crime thriller. Definitely worth the read and might there be more to come?

Thanks to Polis Books & NetGalley for the advance copy of The Man in Milan in exchange for this review.
The Man in Milan by Vito Racanelli – 5 Stars
Publisher: N/A
ISBN: 9781951709112

Very good plot and story. I really enjoyed Rossi and Turner, partner NYPD detectives, whose conversations were not only intelligent, but witty. They were a perfect team and both totally committed to resolving not only their initial mystery of discovering the murderer of an Italian man, but also an answer to the real downing of an Italian passenger plane crash, known as the Ustica Massacre, that killed 81 people that the first murder led them to pursue. This novel was enjoyable and captivating throughout. The author did not disguise the events too much and continually led you to question certain suspects involved in the investigations. I knew immediately that this would end the way it did confirming any doubts that a series is obviously in the making. T this was excellent standalone novel and a great tease for follow-on. I certainly will be waiting for the next episode with Rossi and Turner pitted against the mischievous elites in Italy. Although the next assignment has already been decided, one can almost expect this unsolved items from this novel will come up again.

Reviewer: Rich
The Man in Milan reads like a cross between Dan Brown and David Baldacci. The story is based on real-world events of an aviation disaster. The characters are rich, and the story is engaging. I love the atmosphere of the story and the descriptions of the locations. The story goes from Italy to New York and details the powerful political entities. The story is fast-paced and has good twists and turns.

I read this in one sitting!  The Man in Milan is a good debut novel by Vito Racanelli.

#TheManInMilan #NetGalley