Cover Image: My Husband's Daughter

My Husband's Daughter

Favorite Quotes:

… she was so tired of people like Linda preaching on about the wonders of motherhood. It was like a cult. She had nothing against children. She’d even been one once… Somehow, no one judged a man who wasn’t bothered about having children. But when a woman said it, she was either an unnatural witch or a deluded soul headed for a life of lonely regret.

Money can’t buy happiness, but it sometimes has a damn good try.

My Review:

The premise and plotting of this tale were expertly paced and executed and posed quite a quandary for all the characters with a few unexpected twists that made it even better.  The storylines were thoughtfully written with extraordinary insights on both sides of the issue.  I felt for them all as each character became increasingly endearing as the story thundered toward the climax.  This was my first exposure to Emma Robinson’s poignant style and I found to easy to follow yet heart-squeezing and perceptively penned.
I found this book so sad and such a compelling read.  What would you do in a situation when a woman turns up with a daughter which she says your husband is the father.   You fall in love with the child and suddenly everything changes.   A box of tissues and a quiet place for this book.   Thank you NetGalley for my arc.  Will defiantly look for more of Emma Robinson’s books.
Emma Robinson has written this straight from the heart. I was held in suspense at the start but as the story unfolded the tears started. It was written with compassion and sensitivity. I absolutely loved it. Thanks for allowing me to read this Arc.
I loved this book. It is an emotional story (requiring tissues) but one I will remember for a long time. I will be looking for more books from this author. Highly recommended
“Sometimes it’s the stuff you don’t plan for that brings you the most happiness.”

Rebecca and her husband made a conscious decision not to have children. One night an ex girlfriend knocks on their door with a four year old child. They need a place to stay. Would you give them a roof over their heads?

This is a well written, emotional book about motherhood, trust, empathy and selflessness. It is an easy read with well drawn characters and I would recommend it to readers who enjoy books by authors such as Amanda Prowse, Tammy Robinson and Jojo Moyes. Just make sure you have a packet of tissues to hand!

Thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and Emma Robinson for ARC in return for an honest review.
❤ B L O G T O U R ❤

I was very much looking forward to reading this book, as domestic drama is my favourite genre. On the surface it seems an easy genre to dabble in – you take a situation from real life that is emotional or devastating, and describe it. However, I think it is very difficult to do this genre justice.

Emma Robinson is certainly a rising star of this genre. This book is well structured, and I particularly loved being able to see things from the points of view of the different characters.

The characters are real, raw and brave and the storyline is heartbreaking. There were many times I choked up with tears, and there were clever twists I didn’t see coming!

Rebecca goes on a real journey from a corporate, organised woman to a life of complete chaos when a little girl literally turns up on her doorstep. However, Rebecca faces the challenges with resilience, love and bravery, and it was lovely to see her journey.

I look forward to reading more by this author, and would definitely consider this a top read of 2020!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book appealed to me as a  childless stepmother and I was impressed with the characterisations of the two very different women. The writing is excellent and the author does an amazing job of showing both sides of the coin.

An emotional read and real page turner, I felt deeply invested in the story and the lives of the characters. Sophie is a loveable child, Rebecca is admirable in her choices. I disliked Cara from the beginning and despite her redeeming qualities, I couldn't bring myself to like her even at the end. This is a very personal thing for me and I'm sure others will find her character progression realistic and refreshing. Jack was mostly in the background and I found this difficult because really, he's at the centre of it all.

The whole book was very motherhood-centric and parts were a bit too fluffy and 'happily ever after' for my tastes, but a brilliant book if that's the sort of thing you enjoy.
This was a very sweet book that I read very quickly. It was tender and emotional. I really enjoy Emma Robinson’s writing style. My heart ached for each and every character. I do know what it’s like to love my own children and my greatest fear is them losing me. And I also know what it’s like to love someone else’s children as my own. I really recommend reading My Husband’s Daughter if you like having your heartstrings tugged!

Thank you so much to Bookouture and NetGalley for allowing me the privilege of reading this book.
This is a story of how Rebecca and Jack’s life was upended one day when Jack’s former girlfriend showed up on their doorstep with Jack’s supposed 4 year old daughter.

The premise of the book is very interesting for me that’s why I requested it on netgalley. Fortunately, I was approved.😄

Reading this book felt like a roller coaster of emotions for me. This book made me smile, laugh and teary eyed. This book had a few twists on it that made my reading exciting. The writing was easy to get into and I felt connected with the characters.

I love how strong maternal love was portrayed on the book. I love the interactions of the characters and even the irritating things they do makes sense.😅

Just one thing that I’m not a fan of. Sometimes a chapter was ended on a high note but brushed off on the next chapter via a mini time skip. This makes the chapter feels disjointed to me. Like I’m about to cry but then the next chapter would start with something like ‘the next day’ or anything that will indicate a passage of time.

But all in all, it was an engaging and emotional read. I like it.👍❤

***Thanks to Bookouture for granting me access of this book via Netgalley for an honest review.***
Rebecca and Jack Faulkner have been married for a year and have decided that they do not want children.  Both of them have great jobs  and like their lifestyle.  Rebecca gets irritated with people who try to pressure them to change their minds.

Late one evening, Cara Miller and her 4-year-old daughter, Sophie, stop by Rebecca and Jack’s house.  Cara tells them that Jack is Sophie’s father.  Jack admits that he once dated Cara but when they broke up, she wasn’t expecting.  They realize that Sophie is blonde like Jack, but is she truly his daughter?  If so, can they share their lives with a child?

Without giving away more of the plot, suffice to say that this story is heartbreaking and pulls at your heartstrings.  I was suspicious of Cara at first and thought that Rebecca seemed too rigid, but as the truth opens up, we see how people can change.  Very sad, but hopefully readers will gain a sense of compassion that the author portrays in her characters.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Book Description:

Cara took a deep breath and let it out slowly. ‘She’s not just my daughter,’ she said as she turned in her seat to face Jack. This man she had once loved, but who she hadn’t seen for nearly five years. ‘Sophie is your daughter too.’

It is just past ten o’clock on a cold Friday evening when Rebecca and her husband Jack’s doorbell rings. Outside is a woman who introduces herself as Jack’s ex-girlfriend Cara. And she’s holding the hand of a shivering, blue-eyed, four-year-old girl. Who she claims is Jack’s daughter.

Rebecca is shocked to discover he has a child from his last relationship – even one he hadn’t known about. Because becoming parents isn’t part of their life plan. They like children, but they also love their freedom and spending time together uninterrupted; the way that, if they wanted to, they could travel the world at a moment’s notice.

But Cara needs them. Because Cara has a devastating secret that she can’t tell anyone yet. Not even her daughter. A secret with the power to change all of their lives.

A secret that will ultimately mean Rebecca has to ask herself – could she find it in herself to welcome her husband’s child into her home, and into her heart?

A heartbreaking and powerful emotional women’s fiction novel about love, friendship and what it truly means to be a parent, perfect for fans of Jojo Moyes, Jodi Picoult and Kate Hewitt.

BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'My Husband's Daughter' by Emma Robinson.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 13th October 2020

This is the first book that I have read by this author. It most definitely will not be my last!!

I was originally drawn to this book by  its intriguing colourful cover and interesting sounding blurb. The fact that it states on Amazon that the book is perfect for fans of Jodi Picoult and Jojo Moyes also drew me in as I'm a HUGE fan of both of their books. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue, 47 chapters and an epilogue. The chapters are medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is written in third person perspective with the two main protagonists being Rebecca and Cara. I enjoy books written in third person with several protagonists as it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters. I love the fact that there are 2 main protagonists as you get to see the storyline from both of their view points.

Wow!!! Where to even begin?? Mind you it's hard enough to write this with blurry eyes through tears!! Oh yes, that emotional even I she'd tears!!!

I  start by saying that Emma Robinson is a very talented author and I cannot wait to get dug into more of her books. She is definitely on par with several of my favourite authors including Jodi Picoult, Jojo Moyes and Nicholas Sparks and has been added to this list so well done there!!!

The book itself is written so well that it reads so smoothly from chapter to chapter with brilliant descriptions and settings perfect for the scene. I really dragged me deep into the story until I came out the other end with tears streaming down my face.

The storyline is absolutely heartbreaking and a real tear jerker. It is also an absolutely beautiful story of love and family!! The fact that it goes from how Rebecca feels and is doing to Cara's side is a perfect layout for this type of book as you get to really feel what each 'side' is going through. It was an absolute roller-coaster ride of emotions.

The characters are all realistic and described so well I really felt that I got to know them all. I loved that they were a mix and I enjoyed watching the relationships between each grow and develop. I admired Clara's strength and Rebecca's dedication and loyalty and honestly just everything about them and the storyline was perfect. I would LOVE to see this turned into a movie!!!!

Overall an absolute page turning, tear jerking beautiful story of love and family.

Genres covered include Literary Fiction.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Nicholas Sparks, Jojo Moyes, Jodi Picoult and just anyone looking for a beautiful read.

288 pages.

This book is £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon or free on kindle unlimited which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED  it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#MyHusbandsDaughter #EmmaRobinson #Bookouture  #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@EmmaRobinson @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Author Bio:

Emma Robinson thinks of herself as one of the ‘Bridget Jones generation’ – who are now grown up and having children – and writes novels for women who feel the same.

She also has a blog, Motherhood for Slackers, which takes a humorous look at parenthood, and includes poems such as ‘Dear Teacher’ about her son starting school which has been shared around the world. Emma is an English teacher and lives in Essex with a patient husband and two children who are an endless source of material.

Buy Links:
Amazon: https://bit.ly/2SxDT5C
Apple: https://apple.co/2AxcM5o
Kobo: https://bit.ly/2BGix1e
Google: https://bit.ly/3iAx2UQ
First, I want to thank Emma Robinson,  Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

Oh I knew Emma Robinson was going to pull on my heart strings with her latest novel The Husband’s Daughter just by the book cover! (Kudos to the graphic designer who created this cover! Beautiful job!) OMG WOW! Right from the prologue my heart melted!! It was beautifully written! I knew right there and then I better have some tissues ready. Oh boy did I need them!!

Emma has a gift for writing incredibly emotionally driven books that capture your heart! In her latest The Husband’s Daughter is one of those must read books that will stay close to your heart even after you finish the book. I even ugly cried during this book!!

WOW!!! As I was reading the first chapter I felt the whole scene was coming from a prime time soap! The drama, the characters you wanted to slap for annoying you, the shock visitor at such a late hour (seriously, who comes over uninvited at 11pm at night?!) and oh the bombshell of the revelation that came out! I knew right there and then that this book was going to be GOOD!! Emma never disappoints me!

Emma took the opportunity in this book to focus on a very important woman’s health issue and bring awareness to Ovarian Cancer. She tugged hard really hard at my heart strings with this storyline. Emma showed not told all the emotions and feelings that went behind how this character was diagnosed up until present day. It was a very powerful and emotionally part of the story to read. I found myself tearing up at parts of it. She wrote some very beautiful moments in these scenes.

Sweet Sophie touched my heart so much!!  Oh how much I adored her and how my heart ached for her in so many ways!! She is too cute for words!

There was a saying that made me think but also made me laugh in the book. “Money can’t buy happiness, but it sometimes has a damn good try.

Emma mentions in the ending of the book that as a writer she needs to push past her comfort zone in her writing. In this book she wrote about her deepest fear in not seeing her own child grow up. I pray she never has to see that happen!

I have read many of Emma’s books since reviewing for Bookouture. None of them have affected me so deeply as The Husband’s Daughter. If you have not read any of her books I highly suggest you start with this one. This book I could feel her passion for the characters and the situation behind the story. It is a must read book and her best book ever written! Not to mention a completely shocking twist of events at the end that left me with mixed emotions!
I can’t begin to imagine what Rebecca felt when a woman, Cara, rolled up to her house with a child who she claimed was her husband’s daughter! For someone who had her life all figured out and was practical and organized to a fault, this was an earth-shattering moment. It makes her question her husband, wonder if Cara is telling the truth or is a con and turns her whole world upside down.

Jack and Rebecca were certain they didn’t want children and now here was a child who would be part of their lives. How would they handle co-parenting with Cara? Rebecca, always one to do the right thing, starts to take charge of caring for Sophie and pushing Jack to get more involved with Sophie.

She realizes that something is amiss with Cara. Is she on drugs? Is she trying to con them? When is she going to move out of their home? Is is working at all? All these doubts occur because more and more she’s left to look after Sophie. However, nothing quite prepares her and Jack for the truth.

This is a heartbreaking, yet beautiful story of a how one needn’t give birth to a child to start to be a parent to her! And how a mother learns to share her child with another woman. Told from the perspective of the two women, both strong and independent characters, the story is ultimately one of learning to expand our hearts to loving, giving and receiving. The author writes with a lot of emotion, creating very believable characters and weaving a beautiful story.
Thank you to #NetGalley and #Bookouture for giving me an ARC of #MyHusbandsDaughter by #EmmaRobinson in exchange for my honest review.

Rebecca and Jack are perfectly fine on their own, they have no desire to have children. They enjoy the freedom of being able do what they want when they want.  Their world is about to be turned upside down when their doorbell rings late one night and Cara, Jack’s ex-girlfriend, is stood on their doorstep with a child in tow. Cara claims that this child is Jack’s.

Rebecca and Jack are shocked, they have no wish to have a child, but Cara is hiding a devastating secret and she needs then to fall as in love with her daughter as she is.

5 Stars - 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Wow! This book made me laugh and it made me cry. It is my top read of the  year so far! This book, for me, really represents a mother’s love and the lengths that you will go to to ensure that your child is looked after and happy. It is written from the perspectives of Cara and Rebecca which works really well as you get to see point of view of both women.

The characters and plot are wonderfully written with plenty of surprises that I didn’t guess. It is a book that will truly tug on your heartstrings and I defy anyone not to fall in love with Sophie (the wonderful daughter who this story really is all about).
Thank you NetGalley,  Bookouture and Emma Robinson for the ARC of My Husband’s Daughter. This is my personal review.
Rebecca and Jake are a happy married couple who have everything they want and things they don’t want in their lives. They were both very successful in their jobs and enjoyed being able to do whatever they wanted to do at the drop of a hat- this was easy because they both knew they did not want any children to slow or change their lives.
Their lives changed with a ring of their doorbell one day. Nothing could prepare them for the changes they were going to have in their lives once they opened the door. Standing there was Cara and a small girl.
This story has every emotion you can feel while reading a book.
A story of disbelief, love, success, family, friendships and how all these pieces fit together to make a wonderful story.
This is heartbreaking.  Rebecca and Jack are successful and content in their lives, and childless.  A state they have no wish to change.

But Cara knocks on their door with Sophie, who is Jack’s child and Cara is down on her luck and wants Jack (and Rebecca’s) assistance.

I was not sure how this story was going to go.  Either Cara was a scary psycho stalker, the child was the child from hell, or there was something going on in Cara’s life and she needed Sophie to be looked after by someone she could trust.

What unfolded was a beautiful story of friendship, choices and realizations.  I was not sure of the theme and the outcome though.  It leaves a lot of morality questions for me   I could imagine it would make a good book group discussion – where the adults right in the choices that they made? What if it had gone wrong – and Sophie had been psycho child?

Didn’t stop my enjoyment of the novel or the food for thought afterwards.
Having read another Emma Robinson novel, I had some idea what to expect from this one My Husband's Daughter, and I wasn't wrong as, from the outset, it was a wonderful read for me.

About the Book:

It is past ten o’clock on a cold Friday night when Rebecca and her husband Jack’s doorbell rings. Outside is a woman who introduces herself as Jack’s ex-girlfriend Cara. And she’s holding the hand of a shivering, blue-eyed, four-year-old girl. Who she claims is Jack’s daughter.

My Thoughts:
My Husband's Daughter is told from Cara's and Rebecca’s viewpoints. I loved the way secrets were slowly unveiled and the way that Rebecca responded to the situation in which she unwittingly found herself. In this poignant and refreshing novel, Emma Robinson writes so well about relationships and I soon found myself completely immersed in the lives of these people. This is a heart-warming and emotional read with real depth, elegance and maturity in the writing. There is so much to keep the reader turning the pages and it was a riveting read right through to the fulfilling ending.

My Husband's Daughter is a must for anyone who is partial to a compelling tale about loss, relationships, love, faith in humanity, and life's vagaries.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from Bookouture via NetGalley at my request, and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
My Husband's Daughter is very fast paced and I was able to finish it in two sittings. I was unable to relate to the main characters Rebecca and Cara. The story also didn't really go into a lot of detail, so it was even harder to connect to the characters. However, I was interested in the story and how everything would develop, so the author was able to intrigue me until the end of the story. Even though I didn't really like the characters I appreciated the growth they all went through.

This book was very emotional and I cried my eyes out the last half of the book. This story really pulled at my heartstrings and eventually I got really invested in the story. This book shows that even if you plan your whole life it can still go a different route. The characters in this book, especially Rebecca, really showed growth after being faced with life-changing events. I think I would've rated this book higher if it was longer and went into more detail.
Will you be good enough?
What if someone knocks on your door and unexpectedly announces he/she is your child from a previous relationship?
Wonder no more as Emma Robinson has put this question on the front burner to sizzle like never before and boy oh boy is it a harrowing, deeply emotion, and loving heart-tugging read!
Imagine if you will your ex-girlfriend or boyfriend arrives with a 4 year old claiming it's yours while in a relationship with another individual?
Could you open your heart, mind, and soul and simply alter the trajectory of everyone's lives by becoming a parent on a whim?
Cara is this ex-girlfriend with a personal story to tell that disturbs the entire set-up.
She's holding the hand of 4 yo daughter Sophie when she arrives at Jack and Rebecca's home.
His girlfriend Rebecca was shocked that he'd not known all this time but equally perplexed as to how to handle this as grown adults.
Rebecca ultimately decided to take the high road in fashion!
Cara meanwhile announces she has a ill fated course in life and it requires all hands on deck.
My word, this is a Kleenex moment like you've never seen.
Believe it or not, I had a similar occurrence with my ex-spouse in which he was a womanizer and had multiple affairs bringing two women to seek alternatives to parenting including but not limited to adoption of these 'love children.'
Subsequently, upon divorcing I've learned that one of the two is still actively engaged with him nearly 30 yrs later even while a new 'married' woman is residing in our former home.
It's quite an interesting tale to behold but one in which I'd never want to partake in again as I'm simply not able to handle this type of truth knowing he walked out and left his own three biological kids homeless, bankrupt, and their mom (me) LT unemployed without income, assets, or credit or for that matter having to had give up a career for 20 yrs of child rearing now unable to re-enter the workforce successfully (10 year job search with a dual masters plus 20 yrs volunteering to fill the gap) and Points of Light Awardee by 41st President of USA.
I'm not Rebecca but I'm also not in Cara's shoes not fully as I do have similar conditions that are progressively worsening but not yet fatal.
NOT YET...is key as it's a fatal blood disorder (HUS) that I now possess and yes, my own former spouse has been slightly more helpful in that regard.
Thank you to Emma, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley, Bookouture  and Emma Robinson for this ARC in return for my honest review.  A well written, emotional read that tugs on the heartstrings.  A story of friendship, love and how family can be found in surprising places.