Cover Image: The Bookshop of Second Chances

The Bookshop of Second Chances

This was an enjoyable, escapism read to the Scottish Lowlands. I like the character, Thea, a mature woman who finds herself at a loss when her husband no longer wants to be married and has slept with her best friend. A second chance comes about when she learns a distant great-uncle left her a large collection of books and a house. She meets two brothers and some locals and she soon finds a job in a bookshop. The title of the book grabbed my attention, and I was soon engrossed in this book. I enjoyed immersing myself in Thea's new life while reading this entertaining story. Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

Thea's husband of 20 years is caught in an affair with a woman she considered a friend around the same time she is made redundant at her job.  Her losses leave her devastated and floundering.

Then, out of the blue, a letter from a solicitor arrives letting her know that she inherited a country estate from a great uncle.   The timing is fortunate, and Thea leaves to settle the estate and take a break from her problems.

The break leads to unimagined second chances.

The novel is somewhat predictable, but the characters are fabulously flawed and real.  I love the book,.
Thea escapes to an estate she’s inherited in Scotland after finding out her husband has been cheating on her with a friend. Armed with her best friend Xanthe, Thea meets locals and lands a job at a bookstore owned by Edward. Over the months she develops her sense of self along with some friendships, and eventually into a relationship. The first third of the book meandered a bit for me, but as Thea settled in her life I got more settled in reading about her life. This book is great for a cozy weekend read while enjoying a cuppa.
Thea Mottram's life has turned upside down and she's not sure of her next steps. Sadly, her uncle died. He had no other family and Thea reminded him so much of himself, he left her everything he owns. She regrets not spending more time with her uncle and is happy to visit his town and take care of his belongings. She began new relationships in Scotland and forged great friendships. But, she never expects to fall for Edward Maltravers and stay in Scotland indefinitely.  This is a sweet easy read and fun to learn what will happen next.
This book was like cozying up under a warm blanket. I loved the story of second chances and finding not just love, but also yourself after heartbreak. I also appreciated how the author focused on the protagonist's self-deprecation, making sure to show off her flaws and insecurity...but not too much. It was a very enjoyable book and one I looked forward to picking up every day.
I really, truly tried to like The Bookshop of Second Chances. I did. The beginning was lovely, Thea was strong and plucky, and her decision to move 6 hours away from her (cliche) cheating husband was the right one. I just found that about half-way through I didn't care about her anymore. The intended love interest, while also an intriguing character, just didn't seem to fit with Thea. As friends yes, but not as a couple; they were missing the spark that made it all believable.

Two stars because I just didn't care enough.
Thank you NetGalley for this advance copy of The Bookshop of Second Chances, by Jackie Fraser. I enjoyed this book, a nice story set in a lovely place. I could almost hear the Scottish accents. It is nice to have the main characters in their 40s vs romantic life seemingly to open happen to the young. I felt the author did a great job of creating rich characters (albeit ones that are good looking and fortunate enough to have means) whom you bond with throughout the story. I, for one, love any story set in a bookstore and this one did deliver. I could imagine the coziness of the shop and the villagers who frequented it. I thought the main character had a lot of moxy and was wondering if I would have been able to move on in the same way. Again, it is lucky for her that a dead relative's inheritance allowed her a place to lick her wounds and have a place to remove herself too.
Overall I liked this book and enjoyed meeting all the characters. 4 stars because it was a pleasant story, well written, not because it was earth shattering in any way.
Who doesn't love a book set in a bookstore? Thea moves to a Scottish town when she inherits a house from a distant relative and must decide whether to sell or stay. She's already disillusioned as her marriage recently ended when her husband slept with her friend. So she is wary of men, especially the gruff Edward whose long-standing feud with his brother is a point of contention in their dealings. Can she find happiness? I enjoyed this but got a little bogged down in the middle as there are so many meet-ups that end in both of them not knowing what  each other is really thinking. Overall, it was a lovely story and I would read more from this author.
A story about getting away and starting over in a new place? Yes, please.

After the breakup of her marriage, Thea learns she's inherited her great-uncle's home in Scotland. She decides to take some time to go through his house and get away from her home where her husband is currently living with one of her former good friends. She decides to stay awhile and wrangles a job at a local bookshop, despite the curmudgeonly owner's "no girls" rule.

There is a slow burn romance with said curmudgeonly owner (which shouldn't be a surprise given his no-girls rule.) It's also emotional and heartwarming. The dialogue was snappy and the characters were well-drawn, Thea was very relatable, and her pain felt real. This really is a story of healing, too.

This is a wonderful book about grasping onto opportunities, taking chances, and starting over. It's also a great choice for those who love UK romances, stories set in bookshops, and strong female characters - and for anyone who dreams of starting over.
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Ballatine books for the arc.

I kept thinking about the story told in "The Book Charmer".  Any book that deals with strong female characters that love books work for me. I'm not always the biggest fan of romance, but this one didn't bother me at all.  In fact, I kindof looked forward to it!
Thea Mottram, devastated by the worst kind of betrayal in her marriage and a redundancy at work, discovers that she has inherited a Scottish "lodge" from her great uncle.  Thinking that a change of scene will help her move on with her life, she goes north with a friend to check it out and see what do with the house and the library of rare and valuable books inside.  This novel might be considered a romance or women's fiction, but its depth of understanding of grief following major life catastrophes and then how well that is portrayed through the first person narration (really, a conversation), kind of defies categorization.  It feels so authentic and Thea is such a believable and quirky character that the plot is really compelling.  I highly recommend this story of a middle aged woman, told in a mature voice, who, through fits and starts, creates a new life for herself.
This was a really cute and cozy forray into UK romance! I definitely enjoyed the warm atmosphere and always love a story that involves a bookshop!
Thea's husband destroyed their marriage by having an affair with one of her friends.  Bereft and at a loss, her sudden inheritance of her great uncle's stately home has her fleeing to Scotland.  A trip that is supposed to be temporary turns more permanent as she makes new friends and finds a job at a used bookstore owned by a grumpy ex-aristocrat.  I loved Thea and found her funny and full of common sense.  She deserved to have a happy ending and while Edward didn't seem very worthy at times, I ended up rooting for them in the end.  I received a digital ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
What better way to get over a humiliating divorce than to inherit a house in a remote part of Scotland that is replete with antiquarian books? While Thea Mottram bemoans her all-too-cliched fate (husband fell in love with her good friend),  she does a nice job swimming to the surface when she checks out the inheritance from a great-uncle she had only met four times previously (he liked her because she preferred reading to talking — our kind of girl!).  While intending to stay just long enough to decide what to do with the house, she ends up working at the local bookstore owned by the curmudgeonly (but naturally also quite hunky) man of aristocratic origins, Edward Maltravers.

A thoroughly enjoyable read.  While the bones are pure “women’s fiction,” the frills include Scotland, a bookstore selling both new and antiquarian books, and a few twists on the standard chick-lit plot. Good, humorous, writing and a strong, though self-deprecating, heroine that I would be happy to call a friend.  My only complaint is that there wasn’t really enough discussion about the cool books!  Her contributions to the book talk are denigrations of various classics with toss-off comments about how she doesn’t really care for it for some (to me stupid) reason.

A happy book and I learned a new (to me) phrase:  Fourth Wave Feminism — a phase of feminism that began around 2012 and is characterized by a focus on the empowerment of women and the use of internet tools, and is centered on intersectionality.
A book centered around a bookshop in a sleepy, coastal Scottish town? Yes please! I enjoyed this story about a middle-aged woman who decided to take a leap of faith while trying to rediscover herself and maybe even find love again.
I really liked the characters in this book and I loved the setting.  I would recommend it to fans of The Bookish Life of Nina Hill and the Book Charmer.
I’m a sucker for books about books, and books set in the UK, so I was excited to try this one. The protagonist is a 40-something recent divorcée who inherits land in Scotland and travels there for a bit of a refresh. This was a VERY slow burn. While there was some cheeky banter, I wanted so much more, and am not sure I bought the relationship Thea eventually finds. You also have to wade through some very boring stuff to get there.

I did love the setting, but was hoping for something like How to Find Love in a Bookshop. Ultimately, it was not nearly as enjoyable and I felt bored much of the book 😬.

𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘰𝘧
⋒ books set in the UK
⋒ slow burn chick lit
⋒ books about books
I yhought this book was a cute romance. I takes place in Scotland with Thea whose life has been turned upside down. Then she meets Edward at his bookshop and things go in a new direction.  Highly recommend.
The Bookshop of Second Chances follows follows the life of Thea, whose husband of 20 years leaves her after having an affair with one of her friends. She inherits a house in Scotland from a long lost uncle and goes there to heal her broken heart. There she meets a cast of characters including a pair of wealthy brothers - one becomes her boss and one wants to buy her property. Thea creates a new life for herself in this small Scottish town as she learns what is really important to her.  The dialogue at times was stilted which slowed the pace of the novel Overall a good read.   Thanks to Random House and NetGalley for an opportunity to read and review the book.
Thank you Netgalley for the eARC. I usually like to mix in some Women’s Lit/Romance when I’m reading things with heavier themes and this didn’t disappoint. I was actually surprised because it was a slow build romance, and when I say slow, I mean sloooow, but it worked and I liked it. If you’re wanting something steamier and fast-paced, this ain’t it. As someone who is closer to 40 than 20, I liked having an older character and seeing what starting over looked like from that POV. I also have an affinity for British/Scottish writers when it comes to romance - they tend to be a bit wittier and the dialogue is more realistic whereas most American romance writing can be saccharine and exaggerative (not to yuck anyone’s yum, just my personal prefs). (less)