Cover Image: Middle Ageish

Middle Ageish

I didn't hate this book neither did I love it - it was just meh in my opinion

Too many dates and not enough action, I found myself bored & just skimming pages
Shirley Goldberg is a new author to me and I really enjoyed her story and her writing style! I will be reading more by her in the future.

I voluntarily reviewed this book.
I enjoyed this book immensely! After years of emotional neglect, Sunny finally cuts ties with her emotionally distant French husband (who’d already let his own ties wither long ago), leaves her Parisian friends and chien behind, and returns to Connecticut—a huge change in lifestyle, financial status, and mindset. She and a friend agree to plunge into online dating. Each will meet twenty-five men in six months. Of course, things don’t go to plan—the friend meets a keeper right away, whereas Sunny entertains dud after dud, along with a few promising prospects—all while earning her teaching degree, searching for a job as a French teacher, and negotiating a divorce settlement with her unavailable ex.
Goldberg’s humor and voice separate Middle Age-ish from the many, many humorous books about online dating in midlife. While the book touches some emotional lows with poignancy and authenticity, the overall tone is light and the humor delightful. More humorous women’s fiction than romance, there’s still a lovely HEA at the end—or at least an HFN (happy for now). Highly recommend!
Despite all the high star ratings for this book, this one was not for me.  While Sunny’s trials and tribulations into the world of modern dating was entertaining, I got bored with the continual introspection.  I actually had a difficult time sympathizing with Sunny as I found her a bit on the whiny side.  Note:  Some readers likened Sunny to Bridget Jones.  Maybe that should have been a clue since I was not a fan of Bridget Jones.  In my defense, I signed up for the ARC before reviews were published.  DNF.
Middle Age-ish is a sweet and comical trip thru the crazy that is midlife on-line dating – what could go wrong?  Our practical middle age heroine Sunny ends a 23 year marriage and life in Paris then heads back to the states to start her newly single life.  She takes on the adventure of an on-line dating warrior.  I love that she has great girlfriends that add support and encouragement along with their on-line dating strategies.   I was getting a more mature “Sex in the City” vibe with her friendships which was super fun for the midlife ladies.

Sunny agrees to a challenge of 25 meetups.  Her co-challenger is a newly divorced girlfriend as well – who ends up with a first meet winner.  Sunny’s various dates are categorized and summed up in numbers.  “You’ve reduced your meets to numbers?” “What’s the point in names? I’m not seeing any of these guys again, and you just get confused.”  There are a few of these guys that we get to know:  Frank, Donald, Noah, and Luke all have various meetup connections and relationship ups and downs.

We get a comical look at the dating obstacle course that is finding the perfect midlife connection.  Sunny works thru her divorce, completion of her teaching degree and buying a new home all while navigating these dating difficulties.  She falls in “infatuation” for one guy and it ends badly – sending her to therapy on the advice of one of her early meetup candidates.  Sunny eventually finds her “one” and comfortably settles down with her happily ever after.

This book starts off a little “stiff” in terms of Sunny and her ex’s reasons for divorce.  It almost turned me off from the book – but hang in there!  I am so glad that I continued to finish the story.  After having completed the book – I appreciate that we did not get dragged thru a nasty divorce and Ms. Goldberg spent more time on all the hi-jinks of midlife dating apps.  Middle Ageish is an entertaining romantic comedy with lots of charm and lovely characters that we need in our midlife world.

I received a free copy of this book from the author thru Netgalley in return for an honest review.
If you like books featuring strong female characters who take control of their lives, this is a great choice.  Even better, I think, for having an older protagonist with life experience and the confidence to speak up.  Sunny is a great character - funny, brave, sensitive - and the author gives her dialogue which perfectly suits her.  The story itself is funny and well paced but I suspect Sunny will be the big appeal for many readers.
Sunny Chanel appears to have it all.  A handsome French husband Laurent, a beautiful home in a coveted area of Paris, a great job and plenty of friends. But in her heart, she knows that all isn't as rosy as it seems.  She's tired of the way Laurent has grown so cold and uncaring, even forgetting their 23rd wedding anniversary.  So she's only mildly surprised when he tells her that they should spend some time apart for a while. He would like to reassess his life.

Sunny decides to move back to her parents' home in Connecticut and start a new life. But when she' calls her parents to give them the news, they excitedly tell her that they sold the house and are moving to Florida. They are tired of the cold winters.

Undaunted, she moves back and leases an apartment with three other girls who are looking for a roommate. And she goes back to school, hoping to become a certified French language teacher.  Both of those changes in themselves are challenging for any age, but especially for 50-something Sunny.

With her friend Isabelle's encouragement, she decides to try online dating.  Goldberg does an excellent job of putting us in Sunny's shoes  and giving us a taste of dating in the 50s.  And as the old adage goes, you need to kiss many frogs before you find your prince.  So Sunny dates all types of men, many of them having their own baggage.  But through those experiences she grows and becomes a better version of herself.  Then one of the first men she dated comes back into her life, after ghosting her for months after their first date. They immediately have the same connection, but Sunny fears he will disappear again.

This is an entertaining book that  had me thinking about life in the 50s.  We think we will have it all figured out and settled by the time we're in our 50s. We think we will be confident and self assured, but this book shows that even in middle age, we are hardly settled and we certainly have more to learn about ourselves and our lives.  I think this is a great book, especially for anyone in their 50s who is wondering if there is more to life.

Thank you to Netgalley and The Wild Rose Press for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an unbiased review.
A great middle age romance!

A wonderful perspective of romance after a mid-life crisis. A completely fresh perspective on online dating. I enjoyed the mixture of good wit and romance.
I loved it.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   All opinions are my own.

I loved the premise of this book --  a middle aged woman starting over in the world of online dating.     There were some very funny moments in this book and the descriptions of the food were drool-worthy.    However,  I found that the main character didn't act./think like a 50 year old which was very disappointing.   The book also dragged quite a bit and I was anxious to something (anything!) to happen.   I also found some of the sub-plots didn't add to the story and were underdeveloped and/or unresolved.   So, overall the book had some issues for me, but it also had a lot of good points.
DNF. I found myself forcing to continue to read. I couldn’t finish the book.

****************************I received an ARC from NetGalley**************************************************
Sunny Chanel lives in Paris. She's fifty years old and just when she tells her french husband the "we need to talk" old request, he delivers the "I want a separation" infamous answer.
After doing some brief thinking, she moves back to New Haven, trying to get some of her old life back but  only with a few upgrades. One of them being getting her teaching degree.
It's then when she agrees trying online dating on a bet, and life starts moving on. But moving on can, along with some happiness, bring a lot of frustration as well.
I liked the premise of this book, and it didn't disappoint me once I read it. Somehow, Sunny turns out to be a very well developed character. The pace is good and the author worked the epilogue nicely.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I found this book funny and was so pleased that I got to read this book.

It tells the story of Sunny who has been married to her husband for 25 years in Paris when they decide to separate so she come back to the USA and get her degree so she can teach.

It about her and her friend Dana who decide to do online dating and the first one who gets to 25 dates will be treated to a trip to New York by the loser.

It tells you what men she meets wondering if she will find the one, I won't spoil it for people they need to read this for themselves.

I would recommend reading this book and would I read it again yes I would.
It took emotional strength for Sunny to emerge from her stagnated marriage with Laurent and reinvent herself in New Haven. She relied on friends for support during the transition but most importantly, she started listening to what she wanted and deserved. Dating that many men is tough as each are bringing baggage as well as different personalities but at the end, she found her person. A man completely besotted with her.
Sunny Chanel's marriage is crumbling down around her shoulders and the last straw is her husband forgetting their anniversary. She calls it quits and leaves Paris for New Haven. She finds a cheap room to rent and decides to complete her degree. Her husband promises to take care of her financially but when her bank accounts dwindle down to nothing, she seeks a divorce lawyer's advice. With the nudging of her friends, she dives into online dating. Dating is more like negotiating world treaties than fun. Her friends encourage her to keep trying and to write down her experiences. The more dates she goes on, Sunny wonders if finding love is worth all the humiliation. Will Sunny be able to navigate her new life as a divorcee or will she be single forever?

Middle Ageish is a compelling look at seasoned dating and all the pitfalls that happen. Shirley Goldberg creates a modern-day Bridget Jones heroine who finds life a little too overwhelming. Sunny does have an overall positive attitude which carries the plot. The plot, on the other hand, confused me. The beginning was emotional and moved at a good pace but when it reached the middle of the story, it slowed to a crawl. Even the characters stagnated. The ending was a little surprising and not what I expected. I'm not 100% sure what the point of this book is. My honest opinion is it would've worked better as a nonfiction dating book. Fans of Cadance Bushnell, Helen Fielding and Sophia Kinsella will love this romantic women's fiction.

My Rating: 4 stars
I took a step outside of my usual genres because I'd heard about and was intrigued by this book. Thank goodness I've been happily married for 26 years. I fear I wouldn't survive today's online dating. That said, I have someone close to me who has been through this. Let me tell you, this story may be fiction, but knowing what I do through this person, it can all be true.
Middle Ageish is at times funny, at times poignant, at times heart-wrenching, but at all times interesting and entertaining. I love Sunny. She is smart, funny, strong, yet vulnerable. Even when her sometimes snarky mind is mean (she is a bit judgy with weight), you can't help rooting for her.
The men she meets you think can't be for real, but they are. The situations far fetched? Nope. Ms. Goldberg seems to know what she's talking about.
I love the world-building and the food descriptions will have your mouth watering.
When she finally gives sweet Luke a second chance, you'll be rooting for both of them.
A  light read that started off with a lot of promise but fizzled out toward the end. There were a lot of secondary storylines that went nowhere.  I wouldn’t purchase this book but would get from the library.
Sunny’s marriage is over.  She leaves Paris and moves back to New Have, Connecticut.  Her friends talk her into online dating to get over her husband. She goes on many bad dates.  Parts of the book made me cringe especially how some of the men acted and talked.  I didn’t like on how Sunny had no self worth especially because of her age.  I thought I would enjoy the book but the middle of the book dragged on.  Thank you to NetGalley and Wild Rose Press, Inc. for the E-ARC.  This is my own opinion.
Sunny Chanel is definitely what her name depicts! A vibrant woman who craves for more from her staid and stuffy French husband of 23 years! Life has become complacent and she realizes that she needs and deserves something more in her life. He agrees on a Separation, but she is going for a complete break and wants a divorce and is moving back to the United States.
After returning to the states her friends introduce her into the world of online dating and does her world suddenly become a jumble of emotions and characters that she would never have believed ever coming across in her life!

This zany ride of hers is about to take some major twists and turns and even some new life choices for a 50 ish woman to decide what to embark on!
The author does a great job with the quips and quirky characters,but at times the story slows down. I do like the growth of Sunny, but I thought her friend Isabels advice was always spot on and she at times had more strength.
I would recommend this book to my friends to read because it was well written and had quirkiness!

Thank you to the authors and publishers who work diligently for us the readers.

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.
Thank you Netgalley and Wild Rose Press for access to this book.

After a good start, this book sank into one bad date after another. Bad dates with men I knew wouldn't end up with Sunny the heroine so it all began to feel like a waste of time especially as Sunny didn't seem to change or learn. However what soured me first was the fat shaming of one of her dates. Honestly, the only reason she gives not to see him again was his weight. The story dragged and dragged until I'd lost all interest by the 1/2 mark. DNF