Cover Image: Spellmaker

Spellmaker

Confession time: I made the common mistake of requesting this book without realising there was a book prior to this. Not-so-quick fix: I binged read the first book. Immediately upon finishing the book, I started the eARC of this book and devoured it. I discovered two things: the good and the bad. The good: loved it. The bad: I was so sleep deprived.

๐†๐”๐’๐‡:
โ€ข love the premise
โ€ข MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE TROPE YES! YES!
โ€ข loved the characters and their dynamics

Note: this was more focused on the romantic aspect which I enjoyed, so if you're a fan of the characters or romance you may enjoy this

๐‘๐ž๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ: fans of historic fiction, the marriage of convenience trope,

Thank you to @NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ๐Œ๐ฒ ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฏ๐ข๐ž๐ฐ ๐œ๐š๐ง ๐›๐ž ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐จ๐ง ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐›๐ฅ๐จ๐ : ๐›๐จ๐จ๐ค๐ฌ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก๐ฃ๐จ๐ฒ.๐œ๐จ๐ฆ
Full review to be posted soonish.

I would like to thank the publisher and netgalley for providing me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Another fun read from Charlie N. Holmberg. She wraps up this story fantastically with a duology. Her stories always have just the right amount of tension for me. The stakes are high, but the story still feels fairly light. The pacing is wonderful and I flew right through my read. It doesn't hurt that her writing is always just right for what I need.

I love her characters. She always manages to give the female characters in her novel a bit of subverted power that gives them a bit of something extra for the day and age they live in. I love that slight bit of feminism that comes across without being overly heavy handed. She also had some diversity in this duology that I felt was handled subtly, but nicely. She presented the topic of racism without making it the primary focus of her work, something I think that can be tricky to do without having it simply feel like an afterthought. The romance element was also nicely handled. Not too much of an instalove and not too much of a heavy-handed enemies-to-lovers trope. It all felt pretty natural

The magic system in this series was also a lot of fun. Her worlds always feel tangible and the atmosphere in this series definitely gives off a feeling of darkness in the Moors. I was totally a sucker for it.

I am sad that there won't be more in this series, but it really did work out well to be a 2-book series. I have said it before and I will say it again. I will read anything Charlie N. Holmberg decides to publish.

* Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher
What a great duopoly. I usually like trilogies better and feel hat a story can't be as well fleshed out in only two books but Charlie Holmberg has written 2 excellent books. If you like murder, mystery, and a fast paced fantasy read this is the book for you1
Holmberg does it again! I'll admit when I saw Spellbreaker on as a Kindle First book, I snatched it right up when I saw it was written by the author of the Paper Magician series. But, with a female protagonist, set in a Victorian time period, with magic as its main focus, would it be too much like The Paper Magician??

It was not, and I eagerly jumped into Spellmaker with open arms. The magic system continued to be interesting, though I will say, I felt this book moved away from magic and more into the mystery. I did not mind it, but we really didn't that much  more depth into the world and "science" of the magic.

Bacchus continues tom be dashing, and he and Elsie's romance was sweet and at times, quite swoon-worthy.

A lovely light read, and if you love historical fiction, romance, and magic, this fantasy duology is perfect.
Spellmaker picks up where the events of Spellbreaker left off. I highly recommend reading Spellbreaker first before picking up this book to get the backstory.

Elsie Camden is an unregistered spellbreaker who is in prison for wrongful doings from events in the first book. Bacchus comes to her rescue with a deal - they must be married. While the intent was for this to be a marriage of convenience, the chemistry between the two of them may have other plans. In the meantime, Elsie comes under the tutelage of a registered spellbreaker. Being a self-taught spellbreaker, Elsie finds these lessons to be tedious and spends her time distracting herself with thoughts of how she can catch the evil doer from the first book. The evil doer with their bag of stolen spells hatches a plot to get Elsie to come to the dark side. Through all this conflict, Elsie finds she can unlock new abilities. Overall, this was a reasonably good follow-up to the first book. I always appreciate Ms. Holmberg's creative licensing when it comes to the world building in the complex magic system in a reimagined Victorian England.
Since I've read the first book I just knew I had the read the second. This one was much better. The characters are established and complex. The plot is moving along smoothly and there is a little romance going on. Everything I can ask for.
Spellmaker is the magical second book in the Spellbreaker Duology.

This book continues the mystery of the missing opuses, spellbooks left behind when a spellmaker dies that contains all of the spells they absorbed.

Elsie Camden is a spellbreaker invesigating the thefts with Bacchus Kelsey, the spellmaker who has Elsie daydreaming about their time together.

This story is wonderful focusing as much on the magical world and magic system as the romance, which is refreshing. Sometimes the magic is just a small part to extend the romance. That is not the case here.

You will find yourself rooting for Elsie to get the happy ending she deserves while protecting her strength and determination.

Thank you to NetGalley and the author for an advanced review copy in exchange of an honest review.
Despite not reading book one, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was a little lost, but once I went and read a detailed review of book one, I felt at home with Spellmaker and am dying to read book one just for the atmosphere.  One book I would recommend to those who enjoy fantasy. It flowed beautifully, I loved the characters and the story moved quickly with just the right amount romance!
This story felt very rushed. Like it was missing critical details that would have really developed the story. I didn't feel a connection to the characters, and everything felt off. This one didn't live up to the first one, but it was an okay story. I would still recommend readers grab the first one and read both books, but the second one didn't work as well as the first.
*Thank you to NetGalley for approving my request to read and review Spellmaker".

After the events in the first book, Spellmaker, readers are immediately thrown into action with Elsie and Bacchus. The pacing of this book is just right, raising my anticipation level the notch. Some of the questions that were in the first book are answered in this sequel. More dark secrets are being revealed and to my surprise, new characters are introduced. This made me think if this is a duology or the author is planning to expand it into series or creating a spin-off.

Overall, I recommend this book to those who are fond of Harry Potter. I described this as the wizarding world co-exist with the Muggles (with a set of rules and regulations, of course). If you are looking for a romance between Elsie and Bacchus, well, I have to say that it took a backseat. The author focuses on Elsie's issues in dealing with her untrained powers and people around her (those whom she trust). Her growing feelings towards Bacchus were mentioned but did not play a major role in the story. That is refreshing compared to some of the fantasy books that I have read before.

3.75 out of 5 stars.
After finishing the Spellbreaker series, I realise that what I now need to do is to get hold of Charlie Holmberg's other books and read them as soon as possible.
Spellmaker by Charlie N.Holmberg is available now and a great book that Iโ€™ve devoured in a few hours.
The second novel in the duet is available now, and Iโ€™m very grateful to the publisher for my review copy through NetGalley.ย

I loved it even more than the first one. It picks up exactly where the first book left and while we already know half of the conclusion; it develops much more regarding the overall view of the world build around the magic and cruelties done by the enemies. It also bounds Elsie and Ogden, they have to go with a plan for unveiling the truth and keep them safe.ย

I loved the historical romance part with all the banter and suspense, twisted moments and whimsical elements.ย

Iโ€™m not a big fan of fantasy books, but this one was one of my favourites and will recommend the duet on any occasion
Do I dare say it?! I dare โ€ฆ I enjoyed Spellmaker more than Spellbreaker. There I said it. And I didnโ€™t think it was possible.

What I loved about this book can be summed into 4 points.

1)	The magical fueled fights. The scenes are written so well. Theyโ€™re intense, Iโ€™m immersed, and the dynamic between the Spellmakers and the Spellbreakers have you routing for the whole team.
2)	The characters. Elsie, who has been struggling to come to terms that sheโ€™s got no family, learns that she does in fact have a family. Friends who support her, care about her well-being, and are willing to fight beside her.
3)	Elise is still healing from Alfred, who we learn about in book 1. The man we hate for hurting her and breaking her heart but in book 2, the second love teaches you to believe in love again and itโ€™s beautiful.
4)	Which leads me to the last thing, the romance. Chapter 10 had me screaming, OMG FINALLY!

Iโ€™m sad that I wonโ€™t be in Elise and Bacchusโ€™s world anymore but Iโ€™m satisfied with how it ended. I canโ€™t wait to read what Charlie is going to come out with next!

Thank you to NetGalley and 47North for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This duology was quite enjoyable. I was intrigued by the unique twist on magic, spellbreakers and spellmakers. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy.
This book was received as an ARC from 47North in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was so mesmerized by the plot of this book. It's like my eyes were glued and didn't come unstuck until the book ended. This book is the ultimate mystery and sci-fi smashed into one. I have read Spellbreaker and really loved the book and I believe Spellmaker was even better and I could not be more happy about that. We have been looking to grow our Sci-Fi collection and this book will be the perfect fit. I can see a following for this series and I hope another installment is in the works. I can imagine being Elsie and discovering powers I never knew existed and meeting someone who tells you you're in danger and not knowing why is a scary thought. The imagery was so brilliant that I was along for the ride with Elsie and felt such a rush when I finished the book.

We will consider adding this title to our Sci-Fi collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
This is book two in the Spellbreaker duology and it picks up right where book one ended. If you haven't read book one yet I highly recommend reading it first so you won't be lost. For me this one had quite a bit more action than the first book which did an amazing job of building the world and characters. I honestly couldn't put this one down once I started it. I was so happy to see Elsie and Bacchus's relationship grow as well as get to know some of the other characters like Ogden better. We really get to see how much they all mean to each other and consider each other family. I felt that the ending to the duology was perfect and everything was wrapped up very nicely. I'm definitely going to go back and read more from this author, I love her writing style and the worlds and characters she creates.
Thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for an Advance Reader Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I just finished the first book in this series and rushed to read the second, Spellmaker as I could not wait to find out what happened next.

The world that this author has created is really intricate, set in 1800's England.  In this world, magic is performed by registered Spellmakers who can specialise in different types of magic.  There are also Spellbreakers who can break spells with training.  Not as highly sought out as Spellmakers but still important in the grand scheme of things.

There are also those who are unregistered, such as the female protagonist of this book, Elsie.  If a person is unregistered, they can suffer dire punishment, even the death penalty.  The story picks up when Elsie, her protector Ogden and her one-time antagonist, now attractive friend, Bacchus, are hot on the trail of a Spellmaker who is murdering other magicians for ultimate power.  However, Elsie's unregistered status lands her in jail and it is up to her friends to get her out so they can continue their hunt for the killer.

Elsie has to get over some abandonment issues, find her family and get married before all can be well again.  This is an unexpectedly moving and entertaining series which I thoroughly enjoyed, even though it was a little predictable.  If you like a historical mystery wrapped up with a bit of romance and humour, then this is the book for you.  Rounded up from 4.5 stars.
A fun sequel to Spellbreaker! It has just the right amount of magic, adventure and of course, romance. Extremely fun series that I would recommend to others!
I received this ARC through NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you!

Spellmaker by Charlie N. Holmberg is the conclusion of the duology Spellbreaker and is the continuation of Elsie and Bacchus's story.

In this book, Elsie's secret was exposed and she is thrown to jail and Bacchus is trying to find a way to save her from jail. Bacchus finds a way to help her but for Elsie to be truly free, they must marry. They weren't sure of their feelings for each other, but after they spent time together and worked together they fell in love and were happy that they would get married.

While they were planning their wedding, they worked to find the killer and they found more things about Elsie's family and Bacchus had to resolve a problem with his family.

"I love you more than Barbados, more than magic, more than myself. You are all I think about. And now you are mine. I love you, Elsie."

Spellmaker was a wonderful conclusion to the duology of Spellbreaker. I loved the relationship between Bacchus and Elsie. I loved that Elsie becomes more confident in herself and the people around her. I loved the magic system in this book and the world build by this author. I'm glad that I decided to read this duology and I recommend this duology to all fantasy lovers.

Blog review: 3/29/2021