Cover Image: Remina

Remina

Another Junji Ito! This one was so much better than the last one I read. I loved this concept and the more sci - fi elements of the space aspect of the story.
A typical Junji Ito. It is a wacky premise and a bit sillier than some of his other stories. Any fans of Ito will certainly enjoy it.
There are many ways to start a story, but you’ve got to start with a hook for the most part. Since this story’s title is simply a name, some attachment must be formed between the reader and the name very early on. That’s precisely what Junji Ito does in the first few pages of this sci-fi thriller. Simultaneously, the images are just so wild and extraordinary, and you’re left with no choice but to keep flipping through the pages to figure out what is going on.

A good sci-fi thriller keeps an air of mystery about itself. Throughout the beginning, as we are introduced to the titular character, there’s always an unsettling feeling within the panels of this story that made me sort of anxious for what could happen. It was that anxiety, I think, that kept me dug in until the very end. Remina is the daughter of a famous astronomer who has discovered a peculiar planet traveling through the cosmos. He names the planet after his daughter since the planet arrived in their universe on Remina’s 16th birthday. It is also 16 light-years away from the planet earth. With such a huge discovery, Remina becomes an instant sensation with her own fan club, sponsor, and tv deals. There are many eyes on her for what seems to be an arbitrary reason… nonetheless- the world loves Remina.

It’s that love that drives the story forward and thrusts the innocent young girl into a living nightmare. I mean that in both a literal and figurative sense. I haven’t indulged in much H.P. Lovecraft material but seeing Planet Remina as we progress through the story gave me chills.  Also, it honestly made me feel very small- if not helpless. I can only speak for myself in saying that at a certain point, I had to accept that I was a bit uncomfortable with how I was empathizing with the human population in their desperation. Would I act the same way? If I had lost all hope- would my hopelessness turn into vindictive anger? Perhaps, Junji Ito wanted us to ask this question of ourselves- to feel what his fictional world was feeling because even though all the darkness that Remina endures, there are at least a few characters that allow us to see the best in humanity even at its absolute worst. Those little specks of light allowed me to be hopeful and made a race to the conclusion that more important to me and that much more satisfying.

Junji Ito’s illustrations in Remina are incredible and terrifying- The imagination this man possesses and then able to translate that to pen and paper is what really breathes life into an already interesting plot. There are definitely moments where the rough lines and blots of ink make it hard to determine things like perspective and distance. However, overall I think shock value in art weighs more than realism in his work. Scale played a huge part in making this story as convincing as it was. He tells a story from the human perspective, i.e., ground level earth, what is happening outside of earth, and how ground-level earth is affected. It’s a massive under taking, and as such, it made me step back a couple of times on a panel to take a moment to see what was actually happening. As much as Remina is a sci-fi thriller, it is very psychological, as with many of his works. Underneath the brutality and Lovecraftian prose and imagery is a quiet, perhaps shy commentary of the human condition. It’s a commentary that speaks to our best selves by showing us our ugliest selves. I encourage others to face this dark tale to see what Remina shows to them. I will say that this single volume is a bit tamer than previous works. There is certainly less gore if any. And while that kind of stuff certainly delivers a strong shock value, there are other ways to accomplish that. Remina is a testament to Junji Ito’s ability to strike fear into his reader’s hearts.
Okay, so, first things first: this isn't one of Ito's best. The thing is, a "not his best" from Junji Ito is still pretty freakin' good, y'know?
The basic story is a planet comes through a wormhole, and the scientist that discovers it names it Remina, after his teenage daughter. The two become instantly famous, and everyone loves them until it becomes clear that the planet is heading toward Earth in a hurry, eating (as in actually ingesting) any planet that gets in its way. The frightened public needs someone to blame, and they come after Remina and her father, thinking if they kill the two, the killer planet will disappear, because humans really are dumb creatures. I won't go into detail, but things get really real, and there's all kinds of violence and hate and general dark side of humanity stuff going on. As the planet Remina gets closer to Earth, things get intense, and Ito brings the dread hard and heavy. While the plot does require a fair amount of disbelief suspending, the cosmic horror of the Earth being destroyed with no way to stop it or to escape it does make for a good story. The art is well done, with lots of action and chase scenes, lots of darkness, suspense, and creeptastic images to make us shiver. However....
The characters leave a lot to be desired. They're one-dimensional and flat, with some being caricaturish. Remina herself is such a milquetoast that her only real purpose seems to be to provide a name for the planet. I wasn't invested in any of the characters. Well, except maybe the planet Remina. The planet is the best character in the story, it gave me the heebie-jeebies! Even with these issues, I'd still recommend this book to fans, new or old; just go in knowing there are some flaws.

#Remina #NetGalley.
Junji Ito never ceases to amaze me with his art and stories. He knows how to draw horror and bring it to life, it’s like watching a movie. This story is odd and out there( I mean what junji ito book isn’t) but I was very happy with the ending and I can’t wait to pick up a physically copy to add to my collection.
I received an eARC of this title through NetGalley in return for an honest review.

I found this book horrifying in a realistic way. Honestly, if something similar happened to our world, I believe this is how all the people would act. This book is a bit tame for Junji Ito, at least from what I have read of his titles. I felt it was more science fiction mixed with a bit of thriller and horror. The art, as always, is fantastic. Junji Ito really knows how to capture a scene and human facial expressions.

I think this is a great starting point for anyone who might be interested in reading Junji Ito, but who may not be sure how they feel about the horror aspect of his works.
Another weird and spooky, artful story from Junji Ito! I'm always worried he'll run out of stories to illustrate and tell, and they'll start growing old or boring, but he continues to surprise me every time! I appreciate his continued use of putting the lead up on one page and a spread of horror on the next to instill anxiety and suspense.

Definitely worth a read if you are a fan of horror, manga, or Junji Ito.
This is my first Junji Ito title that I've ever read. While I quite like horror graphic novels and comics, this one verged a little too on the religious zealotry end of the spectrum for my personal tastes. The art was great. And it really did a great job of giving those unnerving feelings that we all read horror titles for. I would check out other titles, but this one was just a little too intense for me.
I enjoyed this graphic novel, I have read some of Mr. Ito's work before and enjoy his psychological horror. I look forward to seeing more of his translated work here in America. Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.
This is a translation from spanish of my Goodread's review:

Score: 4.8 Stars

What the heck did I just read?! I think this expression can perfectly describe how I'm feeling right now.
This is my first time reading a book by Junji Ito and I'm stunned, I needed a reminder to close my mouth every five minutes. I've heard about Junji Ito's disturbing stories and illustrations before but I have to admit that I wasn´t expecting what I found here.

In Remina, Ito presents an apocalyptic story in which the Earth will live its last days because a recently discovered and destructive planet is heading our way. And, of course, people goes madly crazy about it. This planet has been discovered by a scientist who has decided to name it after his daughter, Remina, which makes her a celebrity in Japan since this has been one of the most outstanding scientific discoveries of recent history.

Evidently everything changes when Remina starts heading to the Earth, provoking chaos within the human kind. This is a tough, strong, and raw story that also entertains and shocks the reader. I'm totally amazed with the content of this book and, without any doubt, I want to read more from this author.

Thanks Viz Media for this e-galley!
When people talk about Ito's work, they generally describe his out there premises, the bloody psychological horror, and the artistry of his deranged facial expressions.  This volume had all of those tied to the story of the mass breakdown of society due to the arrival in the solar system of a plant-eating malevolent entity.  But this focuses more on the derangement of people who look for any and all coincidental explanations to stave off bad events, no matter how unlikely or insane.  There are some great set pieces (the round the world chase in lower gravity is really interesting) and while the characters are a bit cardboard and the plot a tad predictable, the sheer overwhelmingness of the art and plot beats makes this a very compelling and disturbing read.
Another seriously weird title from Junji Ito! I really enjoy his work and I think that his distinct art style helps emphasize the creep factor in all of his work - he is always drawing disgusting men and deeply beautiful (but maybe dangerous) women, which is great. I like this story because it hinges on hysteria in the face of a natural disaster and human hibris - also the fact that sometimes people make horrible, selfish choices because they can't handle their own feelings is a great addition.
Remina marks an interesting new convergence of Junji Ito's realm of horror with speculative fiction.  The volume begins with the inauguration of a new planet named Remina for the daughter of the scientist who discovered it.  The media and public's interest in the human Remina propels her into the entertainment industry where she finds success as a celebrity. Yet, this success coincides with the planet Remina itself propelling closer and closer to the planet Earth.  As fear of a collision of both planets takes over Earthlings a prophecy insisting that sacrificing the human Remina will save Earth finds ground.  The volume follows her as she attempts to evade death and fight to survive.

As per usual, Ito's art is exceptional.  There are some moments of body horror that really chill and inspire awe. However, I found the story and even more so, the character development in this volume a little lacking. There are some obvious allusion in the imagery here that point to the story being more allegorical than character-driven but that it was so on the nose almost hindered my willingness to accept the flaws of this story.  That said, I think it's worth the read for any Ito completionist and I'd be happy to see more sci-fi work from him published in English.
Another horrifying classic from the undisputed king of Japanese horror manga, Junji Ito.

Ito's grotesque imagery may be what puts him on many people's radar to begin with, but personally I keep coming back for his strange and unique plotlines. I don't know how he manages to come up with the ideas for this stories, but I love it.
I am a huge fan of Junji Ito, and "Remina" is a great addition to the Ito-verse! I love how Ito uses female characters to bring about some kind of destruction of humanity, and often these characters are seemingly "weak" and beautiful sorts of girls. Our heroine, whose namesake is this graphic novel, Remina, never asked for the newly discovered planet to be named after her. She didn't ask for a fan club of zealots. Nevertheless, she is blamed for the murderous planet's tirade against Earth and becomes the hunted. As always, the art is amazing; the landscape of Remina as well as the facial depictions found in the planet's surface really drive the terror home. "Remina" is everything I hoped it would be, and my only gripe would have been that I wanted more of an ending, or an epilogue, but I am not surprised that Ito left it open-ended. Perhaps we will get a sequel. Thanks to NetGalley for ARC!
This was my first Junji Ito book, and I have to say that I found it quite underwhelming.

I think my big issue with this book is that Remina has absolutely no agency and doesn't do anything except cry -- I'm not even exaggerating. I like my characters -- female or otherwise -- to actually DO things. The story is really interesting and I loved the exploration of mass hysteria and mob mentality, but I couldn't get behind this one. Having now read more of his work, I know Ito can do much, much better than this.
An incredible new book from Junji Ito that once again explores the unsettling aspects of Science Fiction universes. I like this cosmic horror title that really bends the edge of its characters' sanity. It is both uncomfortable and incredible at the same time. It is a literal cases of worlds colliding. In this case, the planet of destruction is coming to give humans in a way that mixes body horror, mass hysteria/psychosis around apocalypses, and grotesque parodies of reality.

In a timely reflection of our contemporary millionaire space race, the rich who "escape" get their just desserts in classic horror comic fashion. The layers of social commentary on idol culture paired with the underbelly of sexual assault/abuse present in Japan. The horrible things that happen are not specifically caused by the evils of space and the unknown, but the known world of man and its sins (from greed to lust).
Thank you for the review copy.

Remina is another true Junji Ito. You'll find the same beautiful, creepy, impressive, disgusting art. The plot is absolutely rocambolesque, taking you from fear and horror to laughter when some elements kinda become so absurd they're nonsensical and hilarious.

I did not really connect with the characters, because they were too close to being caricatures, but I think it's probably kinda intentional from the author. It makes the story more universal and more focused on the plot. Hence why the rythm of the story, that doesn't stop to analyze human interactions, is absolutely frenetic.

However, I did disliked the way women are portraid in the book. Except for Remina, every woman has a minor role, like an after thought. And Remina had no will of her own. She'd rather just let herself die than take control. Even though she's in almost every scenes, she spends all of the book being dragged or unconscious. I just wish we had better female representation.

In the end, I thought Remina was the right amount of horror. It was really creepy, but it also didn't turn my stomach like other Junji Ito has in the past (thinking of Gyo). I think that if I have a line of what is "too far", it wasn't crossed and you can see me happy about that !
In true Junji Ito style, this was definitely full of the dark and twisted. It really delved into the side of human nature most people would prefer to believe didn't exist.
Even though it was set against a futuristic back drop, you still saw the same mob mentality to the people and how quickly they formed a shared obsession.
Was also quite a quick read and I thought the ending fit the tone of the overall story. Bleak as that might be.
Thank you to NetGalley and Viz for the ARC of Remina by Junji Ito.

This manga is about a killer planet / alien / living planet comes through a wormhole. The planet gets named ‘Remina’ after the names young daughter, and when the planet is discovered as hostile, mankind direct their blame on the little girl who is the planet’s namesake.
The people of earth believe that the little girl brings to planet through the wormhole, so they try to kill her.
This was a bit ridiculous to me. I don’t feel like humankind would do that kind of culty thing now, let along]e in a future where we have discovered and understand wormholes.

I also unfortunately wasn’t a fan of the illustrations. I’m not sure if it was just the copy given to me, but the black and white was inverted which just resulted in a headache when viewing it on the screen.