Cover Image: Remina

Remina

My thanks to NetGalley and Viz Media for an advanced copy of this graphic novel.

A rare sci-fi outing for the artist Junji Ito, Remina is a mix of great artwork, but a story that seems very familiar, and not new. A unknown planet emerges from a wormhole, the scientist who spotted it first calls it Remina after his daughter. Soon the planet has picked up speed and wiping out planets and stars on the way to Earth.
The art is very good, the story not so much. However it is unsettling and there are some legitimate scary scenes. Fans of Junji Ito should enjoy it, new fans might have a harder time, but is still worth the read.
Remina is the tale of a star on course to destroy earth, and the girl who's its namesake. Is she the true cause of the destruction? Ito's distinctive style and nihilism blend well with body horror and cosmic agony to make a page-turning, stomach-churning story. Not to be missed by Ito fans.
Remina finds Junji Ito stretching (and stretching) a plot that honestly should have been half the length. I love Junji Ito but it was just too long for the premise. Suitably bizarre, it does capture the fear that a cosmic-type horror would unleash on the world. I just wish it was shorter. I'll still recommend it at my library and still enjoyed reading it because of the dynamic artwork.
Junji Ito is a phenomenal and compelling artist. "Remina" I feel is one of his more concentrated stories with a different sense of itself, as in it moves within Junji Ito rules of decent into a spiralling wildness but is motivated by a more interstellar commotion, cosmic force outside of earthly textures and tales. It's always fun to see a story he writes that maintains that terrifying body horror, that excited anxiety of hyperfixations pulled by anomalous connections. Ito pulls you into his narration with the way he moves the beings in and out of focus and the objectification of a force projected onto a singular person and intity not necessarily connected by crossed by imagination and the sudden happenings. Its all kind of abrupt too.  One minute a person is just living their life the next they are an unrequated and imparted diety then they still that diety but now they must die for something out of their control.
ARC from Netgalley.
OH WOW.... Ito strikes the fear button again.

Playing on the insanity of fake news, mob mentality, and hysterical fear, Remina is apocalyptic in nature. The twist is that the apocalyptic device (in this case the arrival of the planet killing planetoid named Remina) is less terrifying then the way the humans react to it. Ito assumes that the human race would come to the conclusion that the death of both the scientist who discovered it AND the daughter he named it after, would drive it away... and he's right. People will do anything to avoid destruction, right or wrong though it may be.

Another masterpiece from the manga horror master who, when reading these books past the insanity of the surface of them, helps us realize that the true horrors might just be us.

Recommend.
If you like a good horror movie then this would be a great book for you to check out.

A unknown planet emerges from a wormhole and the first person to discover it is Dr. Oguro. He decides to name the new planet after his daughter, Remina. While watching the new orbit that the planet is taking, things start to go... badly. Will all of the planets and stars in her path be obliterated? You'll have to read it and find out for yourself!
This isn't Ito's strongest work, but it's still great especially if you're a big fan of his. Interplanetary Junji Ito this time? We'll take it!
So, so creepy.

It always amazes me at just how far and limitless Junji Ito takes these stories. There seems to be no limit, no... end to the limit and I just love it.

If you like creepy, dark anime or manga, this is a must have, especially if you're a long-time fan of Junju Ito.
A new planet that quickly triggers the end of the earth.

Remina's father, Dr. Oguro, discovers a new planet and names it after his daughter. However, this simple nod to his only child rises her to fame along with the excitement of the new planet in the solar system. However, when things take a negative turn, both Remina the plant and the girl are condemned by society.

In classic Junji Ito style, this story goes from 0 to 100 rapidly. Readers know to expect the worst but are looped into hoping for the best. However, the level of worst in this story is unexpected and disturbing. There are humor and graphic detail to the illustrations. The use of shading and expressive emotions add to the context of scenes. The story is wild and entertaining but not for everyone.
A huge thank you to Netgalley and Viz Media for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!

As someone who is definitely NOT a fan of horror, I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. I like the open ending and the hope it leaves you with. Some of the story I didn't get, like the BBEG reveal. Some of the drawings were also very textured and hard to read. This was my first Junji Ito story, and now I really see why he's an acclaimed horror writer despite my own personal hang-ups. The plot was well-constructed and stayed true to the horror genre. Not my favorite kind of story, but it is definitely well-written.
This is a killer book. To say anything further would diminish the reading experience. What I will say is that the pages turn themselves--much to your own horror.
This is a cosmic, Lovecraftian inspired horror fantasy story.
Pick up a copy if you want to read something like you've never read before.
Junji Ito is a renowned mangaka in the horror genre. What’s amazing about his reputation is that even non-manga fans know of his name. He has a certain signature that allows his readers to recognize his works at a glance. Junji Ito’s works are known for being thrilling and horrifying. Interestingly enough, however, it’s difficult to drop any Junji Ito title after picking it up. It’s grotesque, but there’s a certain charm to it that captivates the reader into finishing the entire story. And before they know it, they’re already having nightmares about Junji Ito’s works.
With artwork is stunning and odd and an interesting premise, I was eager to read this one. Not as solid story telling as pervious works by the author, but fans will surly enjoy it.
Remina starts out as hard sci-fi ... a planet is found coming out of a wormhole by scientist. This premise might scare away more casual sci-fi or nonfans of sci-fi. But stick with it, because the story gets personal and more to the horror genre very quickly. Remina is both the name of the scientist's daughter and the planet. Both Reminas become world-famous. That is until the planet Remina begins an unholy orbit towards earth, which faces a mass extinction event. Of course, this being a Junji Ito manga, that means that there are going to be twists, and it turns out that Remina may not be a planet after all. The illustrations are great, but the story, after a great setup, kind of goes off the rails. As a feminist, I had some issues with the explanation about the "planet" and that is why I can't give it more than three stars. This had potential, but in the end, it was just OK.
Remina is an excellent title by famed author Junji Ito. Like his other works, Junji Ito's art enhances the story's tension. The story itself is about a scientist and his daughter who becomes the namesake of a newly discovered planet. While at first shy to her newfound celebrity status, admiration turns to obsession and later fanatical fervor as planet Remina turns out to be more than the world bargained for. Suspense and mania builds to hysteria throughout the work and never seems to let up.
I was given an e-book ARC of Je unji Ito's Remina by Netbgalley. The story contains a nice suspenseful build with more than enough shocking events to keeps the reader turning pages. there is a surprising 'chero. is very realistic. Thoreywas something ab.at it that reminds me of Stephen King's Children
I give this book 4 out of S.
In classic Junji Ito form, this story starts crazy and just continues to escalate in insanity from there. The fast approach of mysterious planet Remina, as it swallows stars and planets alike in its path to earth, actually filled me with a deep sense of dread. The fever and paranoia of the people nearing doomsday was thrilling and unnerving. I was terrified for Remina (the girl) and for what was ultimately going to happen to the planet.

As far as artwork goes, the story isn't as horrifying as some of Ito's other work, but it's certainly bizarre. Actually "bizarre" as a descriptor works pretty well for most of the chapters. Like, there's a moment when the hell planet is licking earth so hard it's spinning and the characters begin to float as gravity disappears. Bizarre.

It actually reminded me a little of Uzumaki in how the events are affecting so many people and how the story turns into people bounding miles through the air towards the end haha. Uzumaki is hands down a better story overall though. This one felt a little too short and falls a little flat in some areas.  Too many questions go unanswered/unexplained. But even being one of the lesser works of Ito that I've read (so far) it is still very much worth your time reading.

3.5 stars, rounded up for the rating system. Thanks to Netgalley for the copy in exchange for an honest review!
This was TERRIFYING! I knew that Junji Ito was graphic and intense, but I had never read anything from this author before so I definitely jumped in blind. The art style is STUNNING. It's not my personal style, but I can appreciate the artistry in it. It was true art!
I once saw a quote attributed to Matthew M. Bartlett, in which he tries to define cosmic horror:

"For me, cosmic horror is about not only man’s insignificance, but his fragility, both physical and mental. Except for the fact that man is haunted by the vast gulf of nonexistence before his lifespan and its fast-returning resumption, he is in a fundamental way not terribly different from a newborn who dies within minutes of his birth. There’s an awakening into incomprehensible chaos, bright and loud and terrifying, and then it’s all gone. Forever. In our moment of chaos, we witness abjection, corruption, violence, and a ubiquitous instability of all systems—a general sense that we are at all times unsafe. And while there are beautiful things here for some of us–love, comfort, entertainments, the company of friends, and of animals–we fear that those good things exist only to mock us. In the end, we face the ultimate forgetting. All of that, and then there are the monsters."

While I'm not sure I fully agree, I find it the closest to defining cosmic horror in the sense of how it makes me personally feel. Cosmic horror is, and I say this on a personal level, the most terrifying of all horror sub-genres, because it's the one that makes me feel dread less because of the monsters, but because of the ideas it presents about the world and how insignificant people are.

Well, that was depressing... Still with me? This is Junji Ito doing cosmic horror.

Yes. Yes it is as terrifying as that sounds.

This is a hard one to review without spoilers. The plot follows the arrival of a mysterious new (or in the classic nature of cosmic horror, very, VERY OLD) planet that appears from a wormhole, lightyears away from Earth. The planet is named Remina after the daughter of the doctor who discovered it. Remina-mania occurs and the girl becomes something of a celebrity in her own regard because of this.

When things go bad, and boy do they ever go bad, people need to blame someone.

This is Ito fully embracing cosmic horror. That definition I posted above... it could practically have been written to describe this book. It shows horror in everything. Celebrity? Horrifying. Science? Terrifying. Hope? Don't make me laugh.

I do not personally believe this is Ito's greatest work. (that is Uzumaki and likely always will be).. but honestly? I think it's his most terrifying. I'm sure it may depend on one's view of cosmic horror, but even if you don't find it the most terrifying sub-genre, if you're an Ito fan, it's well worth a look. A full 5/5 stars
A mix of horror and science fiction, the art in REMINA called to me like a siren. The story & illustrations were fantastical, horrific, and chilling - a combination that kept me turning the pages. Honestly, I'm a fan of most things Junji Ito puts out, and while there were times REMINA felt a little lacking, as if something was missing or the story wasn't quite complete, I still felt myself drawn into it. It was terrifyingly enjoyable.