Cover Image: Your Life for Mine

Your Life for Mine

I liked this book a lot. It originally appealed to me because the cover art is beautiful but the writing kept me there. I will definitely recommend and keep choosing this author.
Really well plotted thriller! I put my life on hold for a day so I could finish this! At every turn the author kept me guessing who was the culprit! I was pleasantly surprised that I guessed incorrectly about who was trying to kill the main character. Many red herrings but it was reflective of the character as well since she kept trying to guess who among those close to her was trying to get their revenge. I did not like this character at times but I felt like she was well aware of her negative tendencies. I’m also glad that the author didn’t rely on overdone tropes like having a child disappear to advance the plot. definitely would recommend this book if you’re looking for a well written fast paced thriller.
Karen Clarke has come up with a compelling and addictive tale that held me in its grasp right from the short and sweet prologue. The first chapters immediately set the tone of the book and I was totally engrossed in the story. Told from the perspective of the main character, Beth Turner, this book crackles with tension. The cleverly crafted and intriguing plot follows Beth who the reader gets to meet when she receives a threatening text whilst journeying from London to her own birthday party, organised by her boyfriend, Vic. Beth has a beautiful house and a wonderful daughter but her past has not been all sweetness and light, and her life plummets into a nightmare when her past catches up with her.

I was wowed by the easy-to-read, emotive and extremely suspenseful style of Karen Clarke in this standalone tale of psychological suspense. The writing flowed effortlessly and the narrative was very well structured. Your Life for Mine was a story that was packed with suspicion and twists as it spiralled its way to the surprise denouement. It is a must-read for fans of the psychological thriller genre. I look forward to reading many more books from Karen Clarke. I read Your Life for Mine with relish and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Overall, an enjoyable and tension-filled domestic thriller. 😊

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from HQ Digital via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I received this arc through net galley and the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

This book chilled me but also made me want Beth to come out the victor and find out who wanted her dead.

I would highly recommend this book and will be looking for more books by Karen Clarke.
Oh wow this book was brilliant even though I guessed halfway through who was threatening the main character it didn’t spoil things for me at all. This book was so good I just couldn’t stop reading it. What a fantastic book to end what has been an awful year. I highly recommend this book to people who like a physiological read. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
I really liked the premise of this book and the author executed it perfectly.  I suspected various characters as the story progressed and was surprised when the villain was revealed in a climactic, well written scene ,where  Beth is left to drown in the sea.

The main character, Beth, had almost drowed aged 7 and the man who saved her, tragically died as a result. She has always felt guilty about this and it seems someone is out for revenge. When we learn the backstory of  her new boyfriend, her ex husband, her brother, friends and clients, there are so many possibilities and th athor really does a great job of making the reader suspect them.

I felt engaged with the main character and  invted in her story, so found it hard to put this book down without reading one more chapter. I will definitely be keen to read more by Karen Clarke.
Meet Beth Turner. From the outside she looks like any other thirty-three-year-old woman, with a gorgeous house and beautiful daughter. But when Beth receives a threatening text message from an anonymous number on the way to her surprise birthday party, she knows her time is up. Beth has a secret that has haunted her past for as long as she can remember. A secret that only those closest to her know. A stranger died once because of Beth. As she arrives at her house, there’s only one thing she knows for certain, someone at the party wants her to pay.

So this was an okay read. On paper I really liked the plot, in translation, the plot was decent but nothing spectacular. Clarke throws in a lot of red herrings throughout this read which I did enjoy, however it all led to a fairly obvious reveal at the end which I did find disappointing. I would not say I was gripped by the plot but there was something about it that kept me reading.

The characters on the other hand are really good. I felt a connection in some way to all of them. Beth in particular is really interesting and I enjoyed learning about her and her past and how this has impacted the Beth we then read about. The other characters in this are interesting as well and all play an intriguing role in Beth's life. At some point during this read, most of them are suspects which adds some excitement to the read and did lead to me questioning them and their motives. The characters are definitely the strength of this read.

'Your Life For Mine' is okay but not electrifying. Clarke does portray emotions well and features a lot of them too. For me, this needed something else to transform it into a gripping read.

Thank you to NetGalley and HQ for an advance copy.
It’s Beth Turner’s 33rd birthday, on her way home to celebrate with her loved ones she receives an anonymous text message, “Enjoy your birthday Beth. It’ll be your last.”.
Beth has a secret that has haunted her and her family for as long as she can remember, a stranger died once… because of Beth. So begins a series of events that will force Beth to face the past and try to uncover the truth about who is taunting her, who wants her dead. But will she find out before it’s too late?

Karen Clarke has created a gripping suspense novel, full of well imagined characters and likely suspects. Like Beth, I suspected just about everyone at some point, going in circles and jumping between suspects. Beth is always looking over her shoulder, we never know who she can trust. I truly did not anticipate the eventual ending.

Beth’s desperation was at times palpable and her anguish and confusion relatable. She is a layered but needy protagonist, who leads the reader into her innermost fears and thoughts. The dynamics of Beth’s family added to the intrigue, the supporting characters were interesting and their individual traits reinforced the suspicions hinted at throughout the storyline.

Undoubtedly the final chapters of the book were the most gripping, I absolutely zoomed through and could not stop reading until I knew who wanted Beth dead!

Thank you to the Author, HQ Digital and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Your Life for Mine begins with a woman receiving a text saying this will be her last birthday she celebrates — which was gripping and intriguing and had me wanting to know more.

While it was an intriguing premises and a page tuner, unfortunately the rest of it did not compare to the beginning.
Thanks to HQ Digital and NetGalley for the review copy.
Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy to review on netgalley. Ive not read any of her previous books and this is her debut psychological thriller.

I raced through this and it had me hooked. There were parts i thought i knew where it was heading but i was proved wrong!

Packed with suspense and tension this is a great thrilling read.

When the past comes back to haunt you can you really live in the present?

This is an addictive page turner and unpredictable.

Published 14th October and i look forward to reading more from Karen.
Aged 7 Beth nearly drowned. A man who attempted to rescue her did drown, 27 years later she is getting threats that she won't see her next birthday. She is anxious and nervy and suspects everyone. I found her one-dimensional and unlikeable and the story far fetched but it was tense and kept me interested until the end.
Your Life for Mine opens well: a text to a woman, on her birthday, saying this was the last birthday she would ever be alive to celebrate.

Alas, the rest of the book does not quite live up to the promise of this opening. There are likely spoilers galore here.

Beth, the birthday girl and recipient of the message, is a walking ball of anxiety. Her boyfriend therapist is annoying when she relays the message to him. She wonders if this has anything to do with "what happened to her" when she was a child - and that "something" isn't laid out until we're a third of the way into the book.

I found this book VERY annoying, mainly because of Beth, who seemed to need intensive therapy, and because the author holds back the good details until halfway through the book and then in the last 20-ish pages. No one acts like a real person would act, and the impetus behind the would-be murder is not credible at all. Nor is the end, for the would-be murderer.

Didn't like it, wouldn't recommend it unless you had nothing else at all to read. The only good thing about this book is that it is a fast, fast read: 80 minutes for me, even without skipping Beth spiraling into yet another meltdown about something like a spoiled child.

Two out of five stars: one for writing and another for there at least being some cohesiveness in the story, despite the ridiculous motives.

Thanks to HQ Digital and NetGalley for the review copy.
Your Life for Mine is a book that keeps you guessing. Karen Clarke makes you suspect so many people in this thriller that it compels you to keep turning the page to find out how it all ends.
In Your Life for Mine someone blames a woman in her 30s for almost drowning when she was a very small child.  And to pay her back for being a very small child, they start threatening to kill her. On her birthday.  I guess this could have worked as a premise, but for me it did not.  Most characters seemed to be there so the main character could think it was them for a few pages before she moved on to someone else.  Yes, a man who tried to save her did die.  A grown man who could swim but drowned after going out to save her.  Someone who was an adult and made choices (most of which she finally finds out in the last quarter of the book)  I couldn't get past how ridiculous it was that anyone would want to kill someone for almost dying as a child.  I would have tried to like it for other reasons but the main character was unlikable, her child was one a flat and stereotypical, her boyfriend was boring, and her ex was there to try to add some drama about their marriage (which seemed to end because she told him it wasn't working so he left....and then she got mad that he left).  I didn't actively hate this book, but I didn't like it.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.  Unfortunately this one was not for me and not for the want for trying I simply could not get in to it. I gave up reading half way through
Sorry this story was overlong and silly.
Beth had nearly drowned as a child, and a man tried to rescue her, in doing so he drowned, and another man rescued Beth.
She had always been terrified of water since then,
Beth started receiving notes threatening her life, and was terrified someone was out to kill her, but why.
It then went on and on through all friends and family trying to find out who wanted to kill her.
Sorry this book was not for me.
What a great read - I loved this thriller and there were so many suspects in the mix that it had me guessing up until the reveal at the end - A fantastic read, very well written.
Author # Karen Clarke has a new novel #' Your Life for Mine'. A novel of suspense that will keep you guessing. Because Beth has a secret that has haunted her. A stranger died once because of her. Times up....
#Netgalley, # Karen Clarke, and # H.Q. Digital for the advanced copy
This is a really good, keep you guessing kind of read. It is well paced that makes you want to keep reading until the end. Thinking I knew early on was a big mistake in my eyes, you won't be prepared to find out who it actually is. Everyone is actually suspiciously and everyone is a suspect but who is it really? I was gripped from the first page and was shocked by the ending to this chilly and tense story.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was the perfect jumpy, fast paced thriller full of twists and turns.