Cover Image: The Low-FODMAP IBS Solution Plan and Cookbook

The Low-FODMAP IBS Solution Plan and Cookbook

This book provides details on how to set-up your own Low-FODMAP diet at home with a four week meal plan to help you take control of IBS.

It provides details of the food groups that are most likely to cause problems plus other non-food factors such as inadequate sleep and stress.

The book provides a list of foods to purchase for the four week meal plan, though some of the brands I don't recognise.  There are 3 meals a day, plus 2 snacks.

The recipes split into
- breakfasts
- starters & sides
- fish & shellfish
- meat & poultry
- vegan & vegetarian
- snacks & treats
- stocks, sauces, dressings & dips

The recipes are in both metric and imperial measurements, include serving sizes, preparation and cooking times.  Only a few of the recipes have colour photographs to accompany them.  There are keys to show if it is Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free, and Dairy Free, but nothing to indicate whether there are nuts or not.  There are also variations to the meals, say for example you don't want as much lemon in your muffins, you can replace it with low FODMAP milk.

Not overly impressed that you need to refer to a website or to purchase an App so you can read the food labels and see which foods contain high and low FODMAPs.  Whilst I appreciate their maybe lots of different foods doing different things,  I would have hoped this would be in the book to some degree, rather than saying get rid of certain foods.  Also whilst it talks about eliminating foods, it doesn't go into much details on the reintroduction of foods to see what you can tolerate.

I received this book from Netgalley in return for a honest review.
This year, I was finally diagnosed with IBS after tons of tests and years of pain. It has been a big adjustment, one of which being my diet and the things I eat. I have had to adopt the FODMAP diet, which can be confusing at some times when it comes to knowing what you can and can’t eat. This cookbook helped make this transition so much easier. Not only did it give plenty of recipes for delicious meals that are safe for those with GI issues, but it also explained more about what the FODMAP diet is and what it entails. I really enjoyed learning more about how I can eat that benefits my health the most.
As someone who has IBS, I was quite turned-off by the sheer number of recipes that contain dairy products. According to WebMD, 1 out of 3 people with IBS feel unwell after consuming dairy products. Therefore, this book should not be marketed towards this demographic or it should include substitutions/dairy-free recipes.
This book will be helpful for patrons at the library looking for recipes and information on this diet.
Many thanks to the author, publishers and Netgalley for a free ARC of this ebook.
This is an excellent book for a yo e who sufferers from IBS and is looking for a guide  to what may really help. FODMAP is an innovative approach to managing this unpleasant condition, and this book explores FODMAP, and gives some very appetising recipes and meal ideas.
Highly recommended.
I've had to deal with IBS for the last 8 years. I've read countless blogs, cookbooks, articles and more of peoples accounts, how they deal with IBS, and recipes galore. Rachel Pauls cookbook, The Low-FODMAP IBS Solution Plan and Cookbook, gave me so many new recipe ideas that helped with my lack of inspiration lately. I've already made a few of the recipes and found them delicious! I would highly recommend to anyone who was just staring out with the low FODMAP diet, but also to those like me who just need a some inspiration.
Attractively illustrated and thoughtfully presented cookbook with recipes designed to improve IBS symptoms.  Appealing-sounding dishes with thorough instructions.

Many thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
As someone who suffers from both IBS and Crohns Disease, with both having an impact on my digestive health, I was eager to pick this up; anything that can ease the symptoms is worth a try to me. Dr Rachel Pauls is an expert in IBS and also has the condition herself and has found that a low-FODMAP, (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols), diet is more effective in treating IBS symptoms than costly medications.

Most people with digestive conditions will already know and understand what FODMAP is; I know my doctor told me about it years ago during a consultation and even gave me a list of the foods and food groups to avoid and I must admit, for a while, I ignored it. For those who don't know FODMAPs are foods that trigger Gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms, such as cramping and bloating, and should be purged from your diet as much as possible if you suffer from GI conditions.

This is a superb cookbook. The first 31 pages are dedicated to explaining exactly what IBS is, what FODMAP is and a four-week plan is set out for you to follow if you wish. It's split into eight chapters: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and the IBS Solution; Easy Breakfasts For Home or on the Road; Simple Starters and Sides; Healthy Fish and Shellfish; Delicious Meat and Poultry; Superfood Vegan and Vegetarian Meals; Mouthwatering Snacks and Treats; and Amazing Stocks, Sauces, Dressings and Dips.

Each recipe is easy to follow and having tried some of them I can attest that they are very tasty. They are set out well and the ingredients are those you can find at the supermarket or in your cupboard. The photographs complement the recipes beautifully and give you an idea of how the finished product should look. This is an excellent cookbook which is an indispensable source of help for those with GI issues.
Paul also has a website: rachelpaulsfood.com, which is full of information and recipes, you can visit for more information. Many thanks to Fair Winds Press for an ARC.
I requested a review copy of this book because I am a mess, y'all. I have some food issues, and had a reaction to something (ingredients changed in a product I've had before) this summer, and I haven't quite recovered. I'm going through all the crazy tests, and I've been told to follow a low-FODMAP diet.

The first dietician my doctor found for me to work with would be great for anyone trying to lose weight, but she had no clue about this diet. The low-FODMAP diet is quite complicated and very counter-intuitive. If you've been trying to eat healthy but you feel terrible, this might be the one for you. Some examples: you can have strawberries but not apples, real maple syrup but not honey, rice and potatoes but not cauliflower, onions or garlic.

This book briefly and succinctly describes the diet, gives you a four-week meal plan, and then recipes. There are some great tips throughout. (My tip is get out every measuring utensil you have, plus the kitchen scale, cause you're gonna need them.)

The weakness of this book is that there are different reasons people need a diet like this, and for many people, this should be a very temporary diet. I felt her version relied more on sweet (maple syrup) and fat for flavor. My particular situation requires lower fat and lower sugar, so I will have to omit or reduce much of the sweetener. However, the recipes look reasonable and won't feel like "diet" food. You may also need to talk to your health team about whether MMC (migrating motor complex) protocol is needed--it requires 4 hours between caloric intake (meals must be four hour apart and not right before bedtime) that doesn't allow me to have 3 meals and 2 snacks per day.

Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the review copy. I may buy this for myself or someone I know who struggles with this prescribed diet. Expected publication October 20, 2020.

Additional Resources:
Monash University, considered THE experts. They have an app (paid) that helps with specific ingredients but IMO is not a standalone resource.
Gourmend has good explanations of FODMAPs and substitutions. They currently offer chicken broth (no garlic or onion) and a garlic substitute called Garlicscape.
I love garlic in everything, so what's a girl to do? Fody offers garlic infused olive oil, pasta sauces, salsa, and more. Much of their product line has ingredients I can't have, but the products I've tried are worth the money. (unless you have the time and energy to make it ALL from scratch.)
I appreciated the wide variety of recipes included given the restrictive nature of this diet. Of course this cookbook isn't for everyone but I highly recommend it to anyone just starting the FODMAP diet as it also includes a shopping list and weekly meal plan to help ease you into the lifestyle. It also includes vegan + vegetarian recipes AND meal prep recipes so you don't have to worry about cooking specialized meals all the time!
A great book that had so many helpful recipes! This had lots of accesibles recipes that don't feel like your missing out foods as can happen with FODMAP.
Thank you to the publishers and netgalley for providing me with an arc for an honest review.
A great introductory book to Fodmap. Having had problems with digestion most of my life within a few weeks of cutting out the Fodmaps I feel so much better. The recipes are easy to follow and the early pages about exactly what to avoid are so helpful. I will def be buying a copy and recommending it to my library to purchase.
This is a really comprehensive book. It does a great job breaking down the basics of IBS/FODMAPS and I really like that the author is a medical doctor. Highly recommend this book!
A well laid out book.
Very informative and some great recipes to try.
Nice and colourful also.
I requested this before finding out I have to follow a dairy free diet but will certainly be trying out the recipes I can.
Thanks Netgalley for a arc in return for an honest review.
This book is a great resource for those who are suffering from IBS. The book begins with plenty of information on IBS and what a FODMAP diet is. On top of that, this book has very good-looking recipes and great photos to go along with those recipes. I will be trying them for sure.
I picked this up because I was interested in what exactly "Low-FODMAP" means. This was somewhat helpful in answering that question, though the information provided was pretty high-level. Many of the recipes looked pretty good, though because I am on an AIP-style diet, I can't eat many of them as they still contain sugar, nightshades and cheese.
Thank you for publishing an easy to understand IBS Book.  I now understand the FODMAP diet and have a shopping list and menu’s to use.
Thank you Netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was an informative cookbook with a clear explanation on what IBS is and how a low Fodmap diet helps with the symptoms.  I will be trying the yummy recipes. It includes breakfast,  lunch, snacks,  dinner and marinades. A must buy if you are trying to tackle the fodmap diet.
This is a really neat book that I hope is able to help the people in my family who suffer from gastro issues. I love having recipes that follow the low-FODMAP diet since it can sometimes be tricky to figure out what to make for dinner. This book helps with that!
The Low-FODMAP IBS Solution Plan and Cookbook is so much more than a recipe book.  It provides detailed information about IBS and gives a full plan for eating and managing the condition.  It is very reassuring that the author is a doctor and has suffered from the condition herself.  The recipes are realistic and can easily fit into feeding a whole family.  There are lots of recipes I would be happy to try and the format of the book is very appealing.  It is obvious that the author is very knowledgeable on the condition and has a genuine desire to share this knowledge and help others.