Cover Image: The Deep, Deep Snow

The Deep, Deep Snow

"The Deep, Deep Snow", at its core, is a kidnapping thriller. But it's also so much more than that. When a local 10 year old goes missing in small town Everywhere, everyone comes out to help search. With no solid leads and no luck finding the boy, the Sheriff and his staff, which includes his daughter Shelby Lake, soon see their town overrun by the media and their case overtaken by the FBI.
When something like this happens in a close knit community like the one in Brian Freeman's novel, the waves can feel like a tsunami crashing down on top of you. Freeman pulls back the curtain on the town's dirty little secrets and lets us into the lives of those closest to the case. We also get to see the unity, pride, and hope that can come from a tragedy like this one.
Come for the thriller, but stay for the small moments in between; like a father and his daughter's relationship as they face a tough situation in their personal lives as the case unfolds. Or like the town deputy, who is so young and successful, but feels like he has never been able to make his mother proud. Or the little girl, whose best friend is the missing boy and who privately blames herself for his disappearance.
I devoured this book and I think you will too. The characters are vividly drawn and are people that you want to get to know and that will grown to love. It's a thrilling tale, told over 10 years, with heartbreak and hope and it's a place I would love to go back in visit again if Mr. Freeman ever decides to take us.

Thank you NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for an advance reader's copy of this book.
4.5. Rounded up. I have read Brian Freeman’s Jonathan Stride series and enjoyed it. This is a new series with Deputy Shelby Lake. It starts with her backstory and then the crime 10 years previously. We move ahead 10 years and the case is still open. Shelby Lake is an interesting character and her father is the Sheriff but also suffering from early dementia. You won’t see the ending coming. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I was given a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.
First of all, Brian Freeman's Johnathan Stride series is one of the best around!  Followed closely by his Frost Easton and Cab Bolton series'. I am apprehensive when an author veers off from a beloved character, as I often feel like it's a missed opportunity to further their story. Not to worry with The Deep, Deep Snow (or Brian Freeman, for that matter). Shelby Lake is a very likeable and interesting character with a great story of her own. She was abandoned as a baby and adopted by the local sheriff. She is now an adult and a deputy on the case of a missing boy. I enjoyed this and am now ready for a new Frost Easton!  Hint, hint......

Thank you to Brian Freeman, NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for this ARC.
If you’re not a big fan of thrillers with a lot of faith behind them, you’ll probably respond to this book like I did. It’s actually really hard to rate because the thriller/mystery aspects weren’t bad (I guessed one of the answers but was surprised by the other one). On the other hand, the author relied too heavily on religion and the symbolism of owls. Also, the male author wrote that a man bashing a woman while drinking “didn’t know what he was saying” but two pages later said that people say their truth while drunk. So yeah, this story was good in parts, but annoying in others.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing an ARC. This review contains my honest, unbiased opinion.
What a book!!!!  I have read his other books and they just keep getting better and better!  A white knuckle, edge of your seat, up all night read!!
This was an enthralling, intense read. Set over two time periods it kept me guessing throughout. I enjoyed seeing how the mystery slowly unfolded. It was an atmospheric read.
I have read almost all of Brian Freeman's books.  I have loved them all and this latest novel was no exception.  Fantastic story that kept me turning the pages! Thank you to NetGalley and the publsiher for the advanced copy and a great read!
This was my third Brian Freeman book and it did not disappoint! ‘The Deep, Deep Snow’ takes place during two time periods and tackles multiple mysteries in a remote town in the northern part of the United States. The story’s narrator is Shelby Lake, a young police officer. The first half of the book covers ten years ago, when a local boy has gone missing. The case is remains unsolved. The second half picks up ten years later when a clue is discovered. I both read the e-book and listened to the audiobook. January LaVoy’s audiobook narration was flawless. I couldn’t stop reading and I desperately wanted to know what happened. I didn’t solve the mysteries, but all of the answers seemed organic and loose ends were tied up well. Too often these days, mysteries rely on shocking twists that don’t make sense. ‘The Deep, Deep Snow’ was another well-written and well-plotted story by Brian Freeman.

Thank you Blackstone Publishing and NetGalley for providing this ARC.
Thank you to NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

A twisty, turny mystery that ended up somewhere I didn’t see coming. I always love it when a mystery is actually a mystery and I can’t figure out all the pieces until the end, and that’s exactly what I got here. Shelby Lake, daughter of the sheriff, takes us through an investigation of a missing 10-year-old boy, Jeremiah, that spans over a decade. And because it’s a small town, the threads weaving everyone together make the investigation complex. Grab a cup of tea (or coffee or cocoa) and settle in because once you start reading you’ll want to just keep going so you can find out what happened in the small town of Everywhere.
I have come late to the Brian Freeman fan club but am now a fully dedicated reader of his library of excellent work.  Whether series or stand alone, his stories feature a "visual" feel that has the reader joining the characters as the story unwinds slowly building to a tense reveal.  His characters are human, we all can picture someone we know as the face of each.  Their journey through the investigation of crimes or something a little more personal have the emotional feel that keeps us turning pages quickly as we look for clues.  A first rate author.

Shelby Lake is a small town deputy trying very hard to be all things to her family and friends while she struggles to solve the unusual crimes that have come to her town.  She must interact with those who would love to see her fail while her father, the sheriff, continues to decline.  The reveal will have you turning back pages to see how you could have missed the clues as the surprise fades.  Another great read from Brian Freeman.  I have not found a bad one yet.
Now this to me is what a true mystery/suspense book should be! I connected so much to the author's storytelling that I actually felt I was there and it was happening around me. The ability to actually wrap several mysteries into one and unveil each one at just the right time, connecting them all is just pure genius. I will be recommending this one for sure and have already purchased more books from Brian Freeman.
This is one of those books where I was drawn into the story right from the beginning and couldn't do anything else without completing it. The story, the characters, the prose, the suspense, the intertwined plots everything is perfect. I could connect with the characters and empathise with them. The narrative of two parts, the past and the present to show how the events affected the individuals is expertly written. I hope this is continued as a series. The protagonist Shelby Lake reminds me of Dugoni's Tracy Crosswhite and would stay with me. 5 stars is not enough
Something's very wrong in Shelby Lake's small town.  She knows it but she doesn't know what to do about it.  Abandoned as an infant and adopted by Tom, the Sheriff, she's now a deputy and a liaison to the FBI on a case involving a missing boy.  This moves between two important time frames- when Jeremiah went missing and ten years later when a shuttlecock he owned is found in the woods.  Shelby has some hard truths to uncover even as she deals with Tom's early inset dementia (and helping to protect him).  No spoilers from me but this is a well crafted and twisty one.  The characters are good and the setting well rendered.  Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.  Freeman's always a good read and this is no exception.
Shelby Lake was left on the doorstep of the home of the local sheriff in an Easter basket when she was a baby.  He kept her and raised her and she grew up to become a deputy in the same rural town.  She feels it is her mission in life to rescue children.  So when Jeremiah Sloan goes missing, she is determined, even as the case goes cold, that she will solve his disappearance and bring him home.
I am usually a huge fan of this author's books, but this one seemed to drag a little bit for me.  I never really felt invested in any of the characters.  It did have a good mystery to it though, and a surprise towards the end as well.  So I think if you are a fan of mysteries then you would probably enjoy it.
Brian Freeman is a master story-teller and I always want him to write the next best noveI.  I enjoyed reading this Shelby Lake story and thought about alternative endings.  Ultimately, he fooled me again and I concluded that he did, in fact, nail it!

My favorite phrase from the story:
“Sooner or later, we all become orphans”

I know stand-alone releases are probably easier to market but I prefer both his Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series books the most.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this opportunity in exchange for an honest review!
Originally an Audible Original, it was so popular it is now coming out in paperback.  Full disclosure, I was offered a kindle version of this book for an honest review.  A solid offering by Brian Freeman. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the Jonathan Stride series, but still a good listen.

A ten year old boy has gone missing on a road in a state forest. No one can find him. The local sheriff, his deputies, and the FBI are on the look out for him. Meanwhile there is an unsolved murder from last fall that comes back into the spotlight during the investigation. The Sheriff is suffering from early onset dementia while his daughter, Deputy Shelby Lake, has ties to the husband who’s wife was murdered.

The story is told through the voice of Shelby Lake. I found her to be a likable character, and as I read the book, I really felt like I got to know her. This book has a lot of detail and intricate storylines that make it an excellent read. Mr. Freeman does a good job tying them all together. I found the person behind the missing child was very guessable, but I did not have the motive correct. As in all of Mr. Freeman’s books, there is a huge twist that you can’t figure out before it happens.  It seems to be his trademark, and this twist is worthy of Mr. Freeman’s skills. If you are looking for a good thriller, look no further than The Deep, Deep Snow.
Whoah. This book was everything a thriller should be. Great energy, a propulsive and twisty plot, and an ending that gave me all the feels. It was truly unputdownable. This was a five star read for me. Well done, Brian Freeman!

Thank you to NetGalley, author, and publisher for the egalley of this book. The opinions in this review are entirely my own.
In The Deep, Deep Snow, Brian Freeman creates a small town where the characters are not cutouts, but drawn deeply enough to have characteristics that justify their actions throughout the novel. The leads are wonderful. Shelby Lake is a sheriff's deputy trying to rescue a small boy. The town's secrets keep getting in the way, but Shelby perseveres with the help of her father, the sheriff. The writing is superb. Although slated for an October release, there are reviews of the novel going back to 2019, so I am confused.
Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC.
Although it took me a little bit to get into this book, it was worth sticking with it to finish it!  The beginning was a bit slow but fast forward 10 years and a whole lot of secrets, and you have a whirlwind finish leaving you gasping and saying HOLY SH...er CRAP!!!  HOW DID THAT HAPPEN AND WHY?

January LaVoy is hands down one of my ultimate favorite narrator's, so when I saw that she narrated this book, it was a hands down, I have to read that!  She surely did not disappoint, which is the usual case!  I feel like she really brings something extra special to the books that she narrates!

There will be characters that you love and there will be characters that you will hate, and at the end you will feel justified in those feelings!

The ending will leave you with all sorts of different emotions, but mainly anger!  That ending made me FURIOUS!  And I will just leave it at that!

Overall, another great book from Brian Freeman!
Everything comes in a full circle, especially in a small town where everyone is connected in some way. No matter how far one travels, everyone has to come home. Every character has a sprinkle of their past here and there, this style of writing makes the characters seem complete. Perhaps it also helped that the story was written in a very well descriptive way, especially when it comes to the characters' emotions. The ending was wrapped up in a nice bow, which was too generic for such a wonderful mystery.

Thank you to Blackstone Publishing and NetGalley for letting me read this wonderful ARC in exchange for an honest review.