Cover Image: The Forgotten Gift

The Forgotten Gift

Another wonderful read from the author and she is fasting becoming one of my favourites. Great characters and love the dual time setting.
A lovely dual timeline book of family sagas in the past and present.   Cassie and George were both good characters and I really enjoyed the storyline with the family secrets being uncovered.  Perfect book for curling up in front of the fire and losing yourself in
A beautiful story of double narrative across time that Kathleen McGurl can write so well! Did feel the stakes weren't as high in this one (my first read of hers was The Secret of the Chateau which I found absolutely riveting!) but the weave of family ties and adoption and the true meaning of where one belongs - that was the tapestry of this one. So less 'stakes' and way more 'feels'. Which is not a problem at all. Just makes for a compelling read but without so much of the shock factor, so this is the perfect one to curl up with an enjoy for a good, peaceful time
Really enjoyed this dual century read! Loved the characters and the whole theme of the story as well as the family tree research element!

An easy read that brings the past into the present. Well recommended.

Thank you HQ and Netgalley.
This is another wonderful time slip novel from Kath McGurl that kept me turning the pages and reading till the early hours of the morning. It’s an emotional and gripping read, dealing with parent/child relationships of all kinds. These things are not always straightforward and as this story shows, relationships come from the heart and not just by blood. Especially felt for the hero in the historical part of the book – honest, courageous and so deserving of a happy ending. I loved it and couldn’t put it down!
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book for an honest review.

Easy to read, duel time-line historical fiction story.  Loved the historical sections with George but found both he and Cassie a little naive.  Would recommend for an easy, enjoyable, quick read.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a chance to read this book and give an honest review. This author is new to me and the book has a magnificent dual timeline set in the mid to late 19th century and present day. Strands of both timelines are well executed and the story flows seamlessly.
I found this dual timeline story well written, if a little bit slow in parts. The characters are well drawn and believable.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
I am already a fan of Kathleen McGurl and this book does not disappoint.  I preferred the modern part of the story as opposed to the section set in the past.  The two story lines do complement each other and this book is an entertaining read.
This book contains a two time line story, Cassie’s in the present day and George’s in the past, there is a constant flicking backward and forward time wise which was sometimes difficult but the story also contains some intriguing twists and turn to keep you enthralled, overall a good story I would recommend to others.
Light and lively.
An easy, escapist read. Two timelines, one poor George an earnest and innocent young man and Cassie an outwardly happy woman working as a leisure centre assistant.
Their stories are interwoven as Cassie researches 'her Fathers genealogy and comes up with Georges imprisonment for murder in the 1800s , the details of his life are easy for us to follow as he keeps a journal which explains his innocence and circumstances. Cassie meanwhile is distracted by being contacted by the baby she gave up for adoption at birth.
A story of love, loss innocence and happy endings
Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for an early review copy.

This book, for me was a real page turner, it’s a fabulous story with a dual timeline which is set in the mid to late 19th century and to the present day.

So, it’s 1861 and a young George starts a journal of his life, he also falls in love with Lucy, but their future is far from being a happy one.

Now years later, Cassie is decides to research her father's family tree. During this, discoveries are made of hidden secrets from the past, surprises also crop up in her current life.

I felt that both past and present are so beautifully interwoven with unexpected links.

A book that was hard to put down. Recommend it.
This was a fascinating story that has many twists and turns that keeps you involved from the beginning right through until the end. Definitely recommended to those readers who enjoy reading this type of book.
I very much enjoyed this book. It was easy to get straight into the story and it moved along at a good pace. It consists really of 2 stories - one present day and one in the 1860’s.
It focusses on family relationships and cleverly interlinks similarities between the two storylines.
I would happily recommend this book and gave it a strong 4 stars.
As usual a great read from Ms Mcgurl you know where you are with one if her novels. They are like a lovely warm hug from your best friend .
Great for fans of Judith lennox and Lucinda Riley.
I made the mistake/not mistake of reading some reviews before I ever started the book, simply because I was curious. In a way, it gave me some negative feelings going into it, but in the end, I was thankful because this book was unexpectedly better than I expected.

while I did lean in more to Cassie's story, George's was none the less as compelling. Both timelines were intriguing and sewn together in such a perfect flow. I was a bit thrown because at times it was fast-paced at others, a bit slow, however it didn't diminish the storyline and flowed well.
​
We've added this to the list of must reads for reading clubs this year!

Thanks to the author and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
The Forgotten Gift is an enthralling duel time novel about the true meaning of family.
Cassie is a genealogy enthusiast and he’s tracing her family tree. She is stunned when her 18-year-old daughter Bethany gets in contact after she gave her up for adoption while at university. While researching her own family tree she discovers one of her ancestors was in prison for murder.
In the 1800’s. George Britten falls in love with a housemaid employed by his mother, but his life is irrevocably changed when she is murdered. After serving a short time in prison, he is released but Cassie is desperate to find out why.
This is an honest account of what a modern family really is and the story is told in a sensitive and engaging way. A great read.
A brilliant, well thought-out book that brings together the consequences of the past into the light of the present and future!
I loved how the chapters skipped and kept you hanging from one to the next as you found out about George Bitten's life and why he decided to risk his own life to over the murdering family member. I felt so sorry for George when he obviously didn't receive any love from his 'mother' during his upbringing, and with that in mind, still went and covered for her during the investigation of the house maid's death. Following this, we the readers, then follow his life in prison, as well as what occurs when he is released. The journeys this character made is full of heartbreak, determination and ambition, and is documented to us, through diary entries.
At the same time as learning all of this with George's life, we learn about Cassie, who has just been reunited with her daughter whom she adopted, and also has some hard life lessons to go through herself.
Overall, the story was well paced and had so many twists that I didn't honestly know how the book would end. A fantastic read, that I would recommend to family and friends.
I really enjoyed this book.  Although it appeared to be fairly "ordinary" in the beginning, it soon gathered pace and I couldn't put it down!  The dual time lines worked really well, going between the two stories and the characters were really well portrayed.  I loved all the relationships (of which there were plenty, but that didn't make it difficult to follow) and I thought it was very well written.

There were plenty of surprises along the way, both with regards to George and his life in the 1800's but also with Cassie in the present day.  Each played out well and I was really happy with how they both concluded - don't you just hate those books you've spent hours reading only to not have an appropriate ending!  This was not the case with this story - both for George and for Cassie.

I would thoroughly recommend this story.  Thank you to Net Galley and the publishers for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review, which is what I have given.
The Forgotten Gift is a dual POV book. I really enjoy these types of books and how the two time frames end up linked.

This book was a quick easy ready that was enjoyable. I preferred reading the historic parts from George's pov but Cassie is still a likeable character.

Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this story.