Cover Image: You Had Me at Hockey

You Had Me at Hockey

Q: How do I like my sports?
A: In my romance novels.

While this wasn't my favorite of hers I'll never say no to a Kelly Jamieson hockey romance.

I like that H/h support each other while also pushing each other to grow.

After a traumatic event in his past Josh understandably became a bit of a control freak. Spending time with Sara forces him to loosen up a bit and lose some of his rigidity.

Sara has used her quirky, fun yet still vulnerable personality to become a quite popular social media influencer. When pressured to change her image Josh is there to support her and remind her why she makes her videos in the first place.
4.5 stars — This book actually delighted me in quite a few ways.  And I’m giving it a half star bump for great hockey depiction.  I’m not an expert, but as someone who watches hockey quite a bit, it rang truer than most hockey books do.

I was surprised by all that was lying in Josh’s psyche, if that makes sense.  It was weird, because finally understanding a bit of what made him up and had dominated his thoughts since the accident made me dislike him a bit…and yet, we find it out around the same time as he finally accepts it for himself and starts to turn things around, so yay?  So I definitely had conflicting feelings for that boy.

On the other hand, I loved the quirkiness of Sara.  Not just quirky, but strangely vulnerable too.  I read a lot of heroines with self-esteem issues, and sometimes it gets to be a bit much even as I can connect with that.  I kind of appreciated the way hers was depicted…it was definitely there, but I guess I felt I got her inside her head, and it was nice that it was balanced by these other moments of self-confidence.

They kind of had an adorable romance in so many ways.  They were so hesitant, but they couldn’t help but be drawn together.  I could have done without quite so many thoughts from Josh of how he shouldn’t be with her, because they didn’t always fit the story for me (sometimes they did, sometimes it felt forced).  But wow, their chemistry was unbelievable.  Not *just* the steamy chemistry, but also, holy wow *definitely* the steamy chemistry.  I think I just also loved how they connected on so many other levels as well — friendship, fun, support, understanding.

This book made me laugh in quite a few moments, and Sara definitely belongs on the girl crush list.  And now I want to read about Lilly and Easton as well.

I will admit that as a born and raised Saskatchewan girl, and Swift Current in particular, this one hit a bit close to home with the accident.  I know the author was inspired by Humboldt, but I wonder if she knew about the Swifty one in the 80s — I was just a kid, but I definitely remember it, and the use of SC as the town felt…well, it was hard.

So yeah.  This was just what I was needing in the moment — something fun and quirky, but with depth.
Great story. When two completely opposite people meet while talking on a podcast, get ready to watch sparks fly.

Josh Heller's life is hockey. After an accident changed his whole life when he was 17 years old, he became a completely different person. He became afraid of everything, so the only way to control that fear was to plan everything and stick to that schedule. When he finds himself traded to another team in the league, the last thing he wants to do is move to NYC.

Sara Carrington knows she's different and she owns it. She's now a popular You Tuber who is her true self. She talks about her pimples on camera, she's honest about her problems with depression, and now she's at the top of her game. She owns her own apartment in NY, launching a new podcast, and has big brands wanting to have her represent them. The only thing she never had time for was dating.

So when Sara and Josh meet each other for the first time at her podcast recording, they are both pleasantly surprised with each other. She's beautiful and makes him laugh. He's hot and has her hoping he will help her get rid of her V-card.

Sara makes Josh laugh like he used to and slowly stop freaking out when plans change. Josh makes Sara feel that it's okay to be herself no matter what she says. Both are good for each other.

But when an old friend of Josh's is on his new team, Josh must learn to live with his resentment and feelings of betrayal from the accident. But when Sara pushes him to talk to the player about it, it blows up in her face.

A must read!!
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book! The title and this beautiful cover drew me in and i was excited to read this book! I will be recommending this book to others for readers advisory
I just love this author’s hockey romances! The men are just a little damaged but strong and kind.  The women vary, some are athletic, some are scatter brained, some are logical and nerdy.  But all in all, they are fantastic characters and the love stories are yummy sexy and super entertaining.

In this case, we have a pro hockey player who went through a tragic accident when he was playing junior hockey.  His dreams of going pro were in danger, but after one year of hard physical rehabilitation, he made it.  The accident and the repercussions from it changed Josh into a somber guy.  He needs structure in his life, everything has to be planned and he needs to be in control of all that is happening.  In other words, spontaneity is a bad word for him.

When he was drafted to the New York Bears team, he was thrown in a loop because, of course, things were out of his control.  Even more, in the New York team was one of his friends from the junior hockey team and he resented that his so-called friend abandoned him after the accident.  And on top of it all, he’s forced to do a radio podcast with a social media influencer he hadn’t heard of before.

Enter Sara, widely known for her podcasts and YouTubes featuring whatever she finds interesting in life. She’s bright, smart, honest and wildly spontaneous.  She has a passion for what she does and has a strong dedication to her craft, but she also changes directions and plans at the drop of a hat.  Josh and Sara are complete opposites, and yet they worked together.

“I like her. What I don’t like is unpredictability. And it seems Sara brings that with her everywhere—spontaneous lunches, bumper cars, and allergic reactions.”

I loved how they each learned and compromised in their relation, first as friends and later as lovers.  Poor Josh had to survive bumper cars and poetry readings, but he dealt like a champ.

Apart from an entertaining read, I loved the other themes touched on, like depression, the after effects of a tragic event, rifts between friends, communication and compromise.  This story was heartwarming and so full of fun. Sara was enchanting, Josh was a good sport, and some of the scenes were so funny they had me in tears.
Cute story and interesting protagonist with easily relatable characters. The author perfectly captures the life of an inherently cheery person who also struggles with clinical depression.
Sara and Josh were on fire from the moment they met.  Josh has a lot of emotional depth and issues he needs to work out. Sara is the life of the party and people love to be around her. Put these two people together and you get a romance that tells itself with great world-building and emotional depth.
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Did I commit a reading crime? Probably. Why? Well, I dove into book 2 without reading the first one. Oops? Oh my! Ha - it happens but after reading You Had Me at Hockey I have a feeling that I will probably dive into the first book soon.

In this, you will meet Josh and Sara. He is a hockey player who was just traded from Dallas to New York. She is currently launching a podcast. So they are both winners in my book right now. These two were pretty cute and had awesome banter. Seriously. They bantered so much throughout this book and it was giving me so much joy. Plus, they really seemed to challenge one another and that made them a pretty addicting couple in my eyes.

Other than that, I liked how this also dipped it's toes into some serious topics like anxiety, depression, and trauma. The way Josh had anxiety definitely made him a more relatable person. I don't personally have anxiety but I know a lot of people who do. So it made me think of them and that made my heart happy and then my brain goes '..maybe you should text them?'

In the end, this was a pretty cute book that flew by for me.
This was an okay book. It was the 1st book that I read from this author book it was okay. I do not generally enjoy 1st person point of view but I think that if you are looking for a small cute hockey book this will be for you.
This book is so refreshing. It was refreshing to see that the two main characters work in different industries and were so different from each other, but could really relate to each other. Usually, the heroine is always tangentially related to the sport in some way (publicist, trainer, physical therapist, etc.), but Sara was totally outside of his world. I read a lot of sports romance and this one is really unique.
I loved the characters and the storyline development of this book. It was absolutely one of my favorites so far and I can't wait to delve in to the next one that this author writes. The storyline was simple, enjoyable, and entertaining.
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately I couldn't get into this sport romance. Neither character had the sort of spark that makes you want to turn the next page to see what they would do or say next. Their conversation borderd on the mundane and the pace felt slow. Just not what I was expecting.
I just want to say that I love hockey romances, and this book hit allllll the right spots! Josh and Sara had such good chemistry, and I loved Sara’s personality! Such a great storyline that I enjoyed :)
First, I want to thank NetGalley & Random House Publishing for allowing me to read & review this ARC.

Being a HUGE hockey fan, I was excited for this one. So right off the bat, it was getting a good rating from me. And then came Josh. SWOON. I loved the banter between Sara & Josh and their relationship. I also love how this book touched on the topic of mental health and how it effects everyone differently and how trauma stays with you over time.

Definitely grab the tissues for this one! Overall, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️!
I thought that this was a standalone but apparently it was the second book in a series! I've never read a book with a vlogger as the main character but I do love sports romance. This book was a cute romance but with some depth, a cheery character with clinical depression, and a leading male who is very cautious, selfless and selfish at the same time since a near death experience. There are some trigger warnings going into this book  fatal car accident, pediatric cancer, clinical depression, online bullying.
Opposites attract big time in Kelly Jamieson’s You Had Me at Hockey and I loved this fun, quirky, and sexy story.

Josh Heller (and yes, if you’ve read some of Ms. Jamieson’s other work Josh is part of that famous Hockey family) finds he’s been traded to the New York Bears and he feels like his world has been turned upside down again. Surviving a bus crash that killed several of his teammates and coaches, not knowing if he’d ever recover enough to play again, and having his two best friends pretty much ditch him after they walked away from the crash Josh had a lot of resentment and anger from that time in his life even though he remembers very little of the immediate aftermath. The accident left him fearful and with a need to always have a plan and follow a schedule, being traded wasn’t in his plan, and neither was meeting a vlogger/influencer who turns his neat and tidy little world upside down.

Sara Carrington knows she’s lucky to make a living doing something she truly enjoys even if it was a fluke that got her to where she is today. She’s not a typical vlogger/influencer because Sara believes in being herself even when it isn’t pretty. Body positivity, being yourself, and being truthful about her life is key to Sara’s brand and she plans on keeping it that way despite her publicist’s recommendation that she become more polished, but she does agree to do a podcast with the newest hockey player in town which changes her life in more ways that she can imagine.

While it took me a little while to warm up to Josh, I could totally understand his hesitancy and his need for control in his life. When he meets Sara, we immediately see a different Josh and the chemistry between them oozes off the page. Their crazy banter, the jokes, and laughter drew me in and I was mesmerized by them.  I liked that they kind of fell into a relationship, neither one was really looking for anything but it happened out of the blue and in the best of ways.

My one complaint is that while we learned quite a bit about Josh’s background, what made him into the person he is today we really didn’t get that with Sara. Both these characters came with some baggage but despite that, the angst level was low (thank goodness) and their communication skills with each other were good which I always appreciate.

You Had Me at Hockey is a feel good, sexy romance that I couldn’t put down. I loved this couple!
reat story with fabulous characters.

I’ve been looking forward to reading You Had me At Hockey by Kelly Jamieson after having devoured the first book, Must Love Dogs… And Hockey. We heard a little bit about Josh during Easton’s story, enough to more than pique my interest.
Josh and Easton had once been classmates and friends, but an accident when they were teenagers  split them apart. They have avoided each other ever since.
Now, Easton is joining Josh’s hockey team. Can they ever become friends again?
Maybe with Sara’s help Josh can learn to let go of his rigid way of life. Sara is spontaneous where Josh plans everything down to the last second. He needs to know exactly what’s going on around him.
Even though they were complete opposites, Josh and Sara messed at an elemental level. Their chemistry was scorching hot and the banter made me smile a lot. Josh is a tough cookie but sexy with it.
Sara has a very interesting job as a vlogger, one she enjoys tremendously. She’s not afraid of life and what it will bring, despite having a past of her own.
These two were definitely made for each other and their story is one for the holidays.
One-Click your copy today.
I became a fan of Kelly Jamieson through the Wynn series and her books are consistently good, with likable characters that are easy to root for. You Had Me at Hockey lives up to the expectation that I have now when I pick up her books. Sarah and Josh are great characters and even though this book used a common trope (the virginity one) that can sometimes feel tired and just too much, Jamieson did it in a way that Sarah didn't appear like a cartoonish wide eyed good girl, but a real person with realistic circumstances.

I received an ARC in exchange for  an honest review.
This was an adorable and fast read. It was just what I needed after a heavy with buffing fantasy series to help prevent a book slump!
I love the author's writing. I love this story.  Two people who have overcome personal challenges and are not at a place in their lives where they are looking for love, find it anyway.  Lots of fun banter and a new group  of hockey players to get to know. This is the kind of romance that we all wish for ourselves, for our children and everyone else that we care about.

Professional hockey player, Josh Holler, was in a serious accident  while in his teens. The team bus flipped over, injuring many, killing a few and some miraculously walked away unscathed.  Josh was one of those severally injured and feared he would never play hockey again, but did recover, leaving him with some coping mechanisms like ALWAY planning in advance.  He does not like surprises.  He definitely did not like suddenly being told that he was traded to the NY Bears and had to immediately leave Dallas for NYC.

Once he is in NY, one of his duties is to start meeting the people of NYC and he is told he has been booked to do a Podcast with Sara Carrington, a popular YouTuber.  Sara is quirky, often unfiltered and has fought depression since she was a teen. She started making YouTube videos with the help of her BBF while a teen to help with the depression and it grew into a full time career. The two have great chemistry from the start on the air and then off.

I read an ARC from supplied by NetGalley.com. This is my unbiased and voluntary review.