Cover Image: Counting Down with You

Counting Down with You

Overall, Counting Down With You was a cute novel! I loved Karina as a main character. Unfortunately, the love story between Ace and Karina was cute, but I have read other relationships similar to it.
YA books and I just don’t get along anymore. I’ve tried and tried to get back in to them but I’m finding the YA romances to be absolutely horrendous lately. Not my thing.
I loved this book! It was really great to see this kind of rep in a novel, and I'm considering adding it to the curriculum for the YA class I teach at my university for this coming year!
I really enjoyed this book, the characters were really likeable and fleshed out. The grandmother was especially adorable and it was nice to see her stand-up to her son. All in all I highly recommend this book to romance/forbidden romance books!
This book simply made it to my favourites shelf!! I loved the story. Karina is someone I could relate the most with. Her struggles felt mine and the way she tackled them all were so inspiring. Her relationship with her brother, fake boyfriend, friends and her grandmother was so so beautiful!! I savoured this book the way it deserved!
Thanks NetGalley for the preview!

Karina was a lovely main character and Ace is a total dreamboat!  Loved how anxiety was  written and how Karina was unashamed to seek help when needed. Her parents were very harsh and I did not like their comments but thank goodness for the grandma.  I couldn’t put the book down!
I enjoyed this book as much as I expected to. I felt seen by the anxiety representation and while some people may say it hit too hard, that’s how anxiety is sometimes. I wish the fake dating would have been a stronger storyline because that’s my favorite trope. Overall cute and a quick read.
it was kind of nice, the writing style was smooth and enjoyable. But to me it was just another basic highschool story though this time about a Muslim girl who falls for the basic white boy with zero personality, I didn’t really see the appeal. However, it boosted the desi rep we need in all sorts of genre.
“𝒀𝒐𝒖’𝒓𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝑨𝒄𝒆 𝑪𝒍𝒚𝒅𝒆? 𝑰𝒏 𝒆𝒙𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒃𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒔?”

Fake dating, friends to lovers, good boy with the bad girl, only soft for her, AHHHH!!!! Ace & Karina are the trope filled romance of my dreams & they’re sure to grab your heart. Karina is a Bangladeshi American super student who is adorable, kind, funny, family oriented, loves books & struggles with anxiety. I adored her & related so hard to the pressures of perfection & expectation. Ace is a bad, rich boy that has a disarming sweetness that makes you go “d’awww.” You’ll fall in love as Karina does, & find yourself on a journey of a whole slew of emotions.
Counting Down With You wasn't what I expected to find but that's because I have a tendancy to not read the synopsis before diving in. However this wasn't a bad surprise as I enjoyed the book overall. In it, you will follow a muslim girl as she struggles with anxiety. She also struggles with what her parents wants her to be (a doctor) and what she actually wants to study. In addition to that, you can add a cute romance with the local badboy who needs tutoring. This was a cute, quick read and I'm glad I finally read it!

(Thank you for letting me read and review an ARC via Netgalley)
Counting Down with You was easily one of my most highly anticipated YA contemporaries of 2021…and for good reason. Tashie Bhuiyan is an absolute delight and a must-watch, up-and-coming writer in the genre, and I can’t wait for more of her stories to be released.

First off, Counting Down with You was just so much fun and perfectly indulgent. I will say that at times the writing does come off as simple, and several lines and moments are cliche…but I still ate it all up. Much of the writing reminds me of my early reader days on Wattpad reading bad boy romance stories, and I would say I found a lot of similar vibes here.

The story itself isn’t perfect or anything drastically new or life-changing to the Young Adult market. However, I found it just as satisfying and fun. I was getting the vibes that Ace was inspired by Harry Styles…LOLOL but once you get over that fact, the story becomes a lot more enjoyable.

My biggest grievance with the story was the generic and stereotype of Karina’s parents who wanted her to pursue a career in STEM, namely medicine, when she herself strives to become a writer. Of course, I understand that this is a reflection of the author’s own experiences as well as many others in the Asian diaspora, but for me personally, I was just tired of reading this trope of tiger parents.

One of my favorite parts of this story was Karina’s relationship with her grandma. I find that most YA contemporaries rarely explore relationships with grandparents, especially in Asian households. If they’re present, the grandparent is usually portrayed as a stiff elder figure, and while that may be the case for some households, it was so refreshing to see a grandmother who wholeheartedly loved her granddaughter and came to acknowledge some of the wrongs of their upbringing.

Overall, Counting Down with You was an entertaining read, and I’m excited for Tashie’s sophomore novel coming out in 2022!
I love this adorable teen rom com. It’s captures all the cultural nuances so well. Emotional and yet also lighthearted, this book is one I will definitely be recommending.
I am disappointed with this book. I was expecting one thing and received another. It had potential but it was not well written.
Let’s talk diverse YA romance reads.  Honestly so many great ones have been coming out in the last year and I wanted to take a few minutes to should this one out!  We read diverse stories to open our eyes to how others see and move about in the world.  I grew up with strict parents but no where near the family dynamics that Karina does.

Her goal was to make it through the rest of school with her head down.  Not making any wave, not drawing anyones attention.  Instead she meets Ace.  He opens her eyes to so many possibilities and they end up in a little fake dating situation.  (You know I love that!)

When her parents go out of town she gets to live the life she has never been able to experience.  She gets to have a normal school life.  But there is a definite end date on her freedom.

I loved this.  A unique story told from a different perspective than mine that made me expand my view of the world.  What more can you ask for in a great ya read.  It was longer than it needed to be would be my only complaint.

Thank you Inkyard and @NetGalley for this year. Yes I’m super behind in reviews. So sorry!
Counting Down with You deserves all the RomCom hype! The story follows Karina Ahmed. She lives heavily under her parents rules and dreams of breaking free and pursuing the life she really wants. Karina plans on making her way through school with good grades and attending the after school Med Club that her parents want her to be apart of. Karina is roped into tutoring the school's resident bad boy, Ace Clyde. While Karina's parents are out of the country visiting family, Karina takes tutoring Ace seriously. Even though Ace would rather do anything else but study. The more time they spend together, the more Karina realizes that maybe Ace's rep was skewed and he isn't so bad. And then the rumors start of them dating and Ace plays right into them. This book has great fake dating troupe, humor, diversity and swoon worthy chemistry between the leads. Cannot wait for Tashie's next book! Thank you Netgalley and Inkyard Press for a review copy in exchange for an honest review.
Received a digital arc from NetGalley. A cute story about a Bangladesh teen in the US who wants to study English instead of becoming a doctor like her parents wish. She also happens to fall for a white boy.

Not sure how relevant "bone apple teeth" still is for todays teens. I got a chuckle because it was a joke during my college years. I got the feels for 10 Things I Hate About You during the poetry presentation scene. So, points for that.

Some parts were slow, some unrealistic, but overall it was a good story where the teen gets everything she wants after dealing with all the hardships thrown at her.

This was a great sweet teen romance that honestly explored the divide some teens face between the strict traditionalist cultures of their immigrant parents and their desires to forge their own American dream. The story and characters are cute and fun, but there’s lots of good room for discussion and depth here as well. I really appreciated the way the author strove to give deference to the idea that even within a single culture or ethnic background, not every family’s experiences, beliefs, and practices are identical. I think this is an important point that is often neglected in the name of easier storytelling.

And plus, who doesn’t love a good “tutoring the school bad boy” storyline? ;)

Content-wise, there’s nothing crazy. My 8th grade English team is adopting this as one of our  book club options for students, and we’re excited to share it with them!
Counting Down With You was exactly the romantic pick-me-up I needed, complete with the bad boy/good girl trope, bookishness galore, a supportive friend group, and #OwnVoices Bangladeshi representation.

That being said, as I am not Bangladeshi, I cannot speak for the representation, and I would highly recommend checking out some #OwnVoices reviews (especially since some of them that I have read are mixed!).

Overall, though, if you are looking for a soft, emotionally-packed YA romance, I would definitely recommend Counting Down With You!
This book was utterly delightful! I loved the sweet, romantic chemistry Karina and Ace have between each other. This book is swoony, candid, thought-provoking, funny, and will leave you grinning like a fool by the end. Here’s to Karina and Ace, who deserve the opportunity to chase their dreams.
I loved this story so much. It's a beautiful story of so many things: finding love, boundaries, what it's like to live with anxiety, learning to love yourself, and learning to take a stand on what you desperately want. I'll definitely be looking forward to Tashie Bhuiyan's next book.