Cover Image: Dead in THAT Beach House

Dead in THAT Beach House

The storyline is impressive but I did not like the character portrayal. While the elderly sleuths decide to solve a murder case, their driver makes a plan of his own - to save/help the sleuths when the time is right. I couldn't connect with the characters or the story.
Even if it features a long list of tropes I liked in a mystery the story didn't keep my attention and fell flat.
Not my cup of tea.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This is my first Senior Sleuth Mystery. This story begins when Dora and Dick's son Jake and his girlfriend Lily ask for their help after Lily's Aunt and Uncle are found shot. They had just inherited That Beach House. As their only surviving relative That Beach House becomes Lily's and her life is suddenly in danger. Lily's family have lots of shady secrets and a group are so desperate to own That Beach House they won't stop until it is theirs. Dora and Dick have to enlist help from their friends to save the day.
I tried a number of times to get into this story but just couldn't.  The dialog was stilted and I really didn't embrace the characters.
Posted on Goodreads.  This was a short, fast read, more like a short story or novella.  This take on Nick & Nora from The Thin Man series was cute, but there were a few problems.  At the end of each very short chapter the author felt the need for asides that hinted at what would happen next.  That might have been fun and interesting a couple of times, but at the end of each chapter it was overkill.  In many was this was a barely fleshed out outline.  The characters were sketches and the plot, action and general narrative were pretty bare bones.  While I like the concept and the author’s rationale for writing, I do think a writing group and a bit more writing would benefit both author and reader.
The very real concern in the story was about elder abuse, which is reprehensible.  In many cultures older people are revered for their life experiences and wisdom, but it seems in the U.S. that we love the concept of a youth culture, even if it doesn’t really exist.  My definition of old has become a moving target as I get older; it’s amusing to listen to my 83 year old father complain about all of the old people in his lifelong learning society classes.  I hope that older people start standing up for themselves and that the remaining Baby Boomers might actually change something for the better.
Overall I liked the story but some parts were told as if by a narrator rather than experienced by the characters and I’m not a fan of that style. I also felt that the author got preachy on the subject of elder abuse. I do realize that it’s a serious  issue that the author wanted to discuss but I felt that it took over the story.
Wow, I had a great time reading this book!
I immediately loved Dick & Dora, along with Frankie and Zero.
This is a fast paced, fun cozy mystery. It has everything I look for in a good, solid cozy mystery book. Great characters, fun, exciting mystery, and a perfect reveal! I had NO idea who was behind the murders, I was completely gobsmacked.
This is the first book I’ve read by this author, but it certainly won’t be the last.
If you haven’t read this series, you’re definitely missing out on a great reading experience.
#DeadinTHATBeachHouse #NetGalley