Cover Image: Constellation of the Deep

Constellation of the Deep

This cute, whimsical story will sure to delight. The colourful illustrations make the sea interesting and engaging for readers. The story is easy to follow and provides a sense of wonder along with much imagination. Readers are brought along on Fox's adventure under the sea. My little nieces squealed in delight when Fox rescued Whale.  A nice feature of this book is the identification pages provided throughout. Little readers can learn the names and spellings of various items found along the under sea adventure.  The placement of words is nice as well as easy to read for emergent readers. This is a story that I will be buying for my little nieces on publication day: June 8th 2021. Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the e-ARC.
In this gorgeous follow-up to ‘The Golden Glow’, we follow Fox - and his cousin, Wolf - in search of the ‘constellation of the deep’: an amazing plant they’re told grows on the bottom of the ocean and even glows in the dark! Fox sets out on an expedition that turns into an unexpectedly beautiful visual exploration of the ocean, but does Fox ever get to see it? Take a deep-dive as he searches for the elusive plant, but finds so much more than he thought he would: including a whole lot of seaweed, lots of colorful coral, and even a new friend - plus a little miraculous magic along the way. I absolutely love Flouw’s stunningly illustrated, color-filled, underwater world! So beautiful, and just nonsensical enough.
A beautifully illustrated story about Fox, who goes on an adventure to find the constellation of the deep - a bioluminescent sea plant located at the bottom of the ocean.  This book is excellent for young children who love stories about the ocean and conservation and includes diagrams of diving gear, various sea plants, and corals. Unfortunately, a book about the ocean is not complete without mention of the catastrophe of trash that can harm or kill sea animals; this book shows Fox helping a whale caught in netting and trash.  A great story and adventure tale. Sure to generate interest in the deep.
This book follows the journey of a fox through the ocean as he sees different wildlife and plants. The illustrations for this book are quite beautiful. I especially love the pages that highlight all the different species that are found at each part of the ocean. The plot was a little  choppy at times but the illustrations carry it. I do wish the main characters were people, but the Fox and Wolf work okay. I would recommend for a class who is studying the ocean and different wildlife.
I love the illustrations of this book.  The story however, feels like it goes nowhere.  Fox does accomplish his mission of taking a picture of the glowing plant at the bottom of the sea, but there seemed to be so many missed opportunities where Fox could impart a lesson that seemed to be missed.
Sometimes our adventures don't go exactly as we plan but that's not always a bad thing. I enjoyed this story and illustrations. I liked learing about different sea life while Fox goes exploring. The illustrations are bright and vibrant.
Adventures don't always turn out the way we plan, and the same goes for this fox's scuba dive to find the constellation of the deep. The pacing of the story was excellent, especially considering how smoothly the learning opportunities to discover and identify different underwater species was worked into the narrative. Moments like that will be great for keeping children's attention, in addition to the unique art style! The only way this book could have been better is if it had dug deeper into the ocean pollution discussion that the whale presented to the story. That moment felt glazed over because the fox found his camera, which was actually part of the pollution problem the whale was wrapped up in. Other than that, this was a lovely read!
This is a cute book about a fox in search of a phosphorescent plant on the ocean floor. Though the illustrations are quite engaging, I think the book could be improved with labels on some of the pictures.  I was a science teacher for many years and I still could not identify all of the corals, plants and algae.
This book is full of beautiful illustrations of Fox’s adventure in the ocean. He comes across many sea creatures and plants as he searches for the underwater constellation. This would make a great bedtime story!
With beautifully bright and colourful illustrations, this picture book takes readers on an adventure under the sea with Fox to learn about the creatures under the waves all while seeking out the constellation of the sea. Fantastic read!

5 stars
I read this book to my four and six year old. We all loved it and they thought the pictures were “like a shining star”. Love how it teaches the words for the items fox found from his diving equipment to the animals. I also like how it mentions the garbage in the ocean without ignoring it or breaking from the story. All in all I’m glad we read it together.
The artwork is beautiful, colourful, and captivating while offering a glimpse into marine life beneath the ocean's surface. Otherwise, Constellation of the Deep doesn't have a great storyline for readers to follow.
Cute story about a fox going in search of a special glowing ocean plant. Along the way he meets some friends that lend a helping hand, or rather a fin. A great fit for a child who wants to explore the ocean!
This book is great for kids who love the ocean. It's a good quick read with beautiful artwork and factual information. There's a beautiful story about enjoying the journey and helping the ocean.
Constellation of the Deep is a fun hybrid story. It is mixing a fictional story of Fox diving into the deep to explore the ocean. In the midst of the fictional story, readers will run into a ton of nonfiction information that is utilized to teach them about the ocean. The illustrations and labels are great for young readers that are interested in the plant and animal life of the ocean.
This will be a great addition to my classroom library.  I love that it highlights exploration and adventure and the wonder of nature.  It is well crafted, with beautiful illustrations.  This will be one of my go to books for discussions about getting outside and the experiences we can have with nature.
Created by Benjamin Flouw, a French animator turned author-illustrator, Constellation of the Deep follows Fox on his quest to find an elusive, glowing, undersea plant.  Along the way, Fox talks to and identifies various animals and strange plants.  And he even manages to find his sought-after constellation—sort of.

This informational text is an engaging mix of narrative and nonfiction.  Every few pages include drawings of the gear, plants, and animals that Fox sees and uses on his voyage.  With bright, engaging colors, Flouw’s illustrations are visually stunning and informationally rich all at once, full of bright, engaging colors and subtle details.  His text is equally rich as it describes the world both above and below the water.

I particularly enjoyed the connection of helping others and the environment to Fox’s success.  A good lesson told without moralization of didacticism can be hard to accomplish, yet Flouw does so flawlessly.  His is an eye-catching picture book with an equally beautiful message.
While beautifully illustrated,, this story is an unusual mix of realism and fantasy that I did not respond to.
This is the tale of Fox, largely anthropomorphized, who goes diving in the ocean to find a plant called the constellation of the deep.
In his dive, Fox sees a myriad of plants and animals that are realistically identified and rendered with beautiful drawings. Fox is able to communicate with other animals and has a great day in the ocean.
Children may relate to this book in a more positive way than I did.
Fox loves nature, particularly interesting and unusual plant life.  So when Seagull tells him about the a special plant call the Constellation of the Deep, Fox knows he must see it for himself.  But although he discovers many wonders in his journey, this special treasure remains elusive.  Will Fox really find the Constellation of the Deep?

This beautifully illustrated book is whimsical and fun, while still sharing relevant information about plant life and nature study.  The names of coral, seaweed and underwater life is taught without feeling heavy and overwhelming.  And the adventurous story delighted both my children and myself.  It would make a sweet addition to bedtime or an ocean unit in homeschool.

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. This one was fun and had great illustrations. My new reader and I took turns reading the pages and he enjoyed Fox’s adventures in the deep.  The content was well thought out and made for an educational read as well. Thinking we will definitely add this to our bookshelf.