Cover Image: The Apocalypse Seven

The Apocalypse Seven

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for an eARC.

I suppose this wasn't for me, I lost interest half way through but it was a very easy read. The beginning was very promising and started off quite well then it just went completely down hill with an anti-climactic ending. The characters had a lack of development and the world/atmosphere building was poor.
This book was fun, and I had a really great time reading it. While it isn’t anything ground-breaking and doesn’t necessarily venture anywhere new within the genre, it was still enough to keep me interested. While certain threads of the novel are laid out a little too heavy handed for my reading preference, the author does a great job at leading up to an ending that is quite unpredictable.

The Apocalypse Seven gave me major Under the Dome vibes as I was reading it, which was a novel I thoroughly enjoyed, but this one left me missing the fully formed characters that novel has. But that is one of the areas where King excels most, so it can be hard to hold a candle to his characters. These characters were interesting to follow throughout the course of the novel, but they all just felt a little too juvenile. Even the characters that were supposed to be the adults of the group came off feeling more like teenagers in the way they were written. There was one character who takes on a specific role within the group, that I never felt their journey into this role was earned or believable.

The author excels at keeping the reader engaged throughout the course of the novel, and moving the story along at a Goldilocks pace, in that it is “just right”. I definitely recommend this one if you are a fan of a good apocalypse tale that doesn’t necessarily have to break the mould.
Robbie wakes up and can't believe he's already late for class on his first day of his freshman year at Harvard. He's surprised when he can't find his backpack, and when the dorm appears to be mostly empty...aside from Carol. Carol is also a freshman, and is blind. She is in a panic because she can't find her seeing eye dog. But both of them are in for a surprise when they reach the outside of the building. There are no cars or people to be found. The grass, trees, plants, and ivy all seem to have grown... a lot... overnight. Cell phones and electricity don't seem to be working. Did they sleep through the apocalypse?? Slowly, Robbie and Carol come across others who are experiencing the same confusion they are. Working together, will they figure out what happened?

I looooved this book so very much. Apocalypse/dystopian novels often take themselves pretty seriously, but this one definitely doesn't. My favorite example is Touré, the gamer/coder who views the situation as if it was a video game, even going so far as to refer to his plans as "quests." There is humor along with the engrossing storyline as the characters experience their "new normal" and attempt to put together the puzzle of what happened. Each of the characters are quirky in his or her own way, and incredibly likable. My only complaint is that I feel the ending wrapped up a little too quickly (I was at about 84% and convinced Doucette was paving the way for a sequel, but it doesn't appear that there will be). I am likely going to check out some of his other books to find characters as lovable as these were :)
Who knew the end of civilization could be so funny? Apparently Gene Doucette did. This is the first time I've read his work, and I enjoyed it immensely. I kept shouting out random theories about what was happening, much to the annoyance of my husband, but it turned out that all my speculation was wrong. I truly had no clue what was happening. In The Apocalypse 7, we start meeting individuals who, apparently, have slept through the end of the world. Robbie and Carol, both Harvard freshman, find each other on campus. From there, the book introduces each new cast member, and gives us a good idea of their character, from how they handle learning they are, essentially, alone in the world. Some other reviewers thought this part dragged, but I never lost interest. I was keenly invested in each person's backstory and journey, and to see how they ultimately fit in with the rest of the misfit survivors. Once all seven are together in Cambridge, they decide it's time to find some answers, but they have no idea what mayhem those answers will bring.

This book was just so much fun for me! I was very attached to the characters, and I wanted them to not only survive, but thrive. The mystery of what exactly happened was a driving force, one that kept the pages turning long past bedtime. I did think perhaps more could have been squeezed out of the extreme weather and the animals gone wild aspects, though both were used effectively. I guess I just didn't ever feel that the characters were in real peril, but I definitely still wanted to know what was happening. The best surprise and my favorite thing about this book was the humor. It's dry and dark, and I loved it. The Apocalypse 7 is a journey through an unpopulated world, with the least likely band of heroes ever. It will keep you guessing, and thinking, and laughing. Thank you to Mariner Books and Netgalley for the chance to review this advance copy.
The premise of this book intrigued me, and having enjoyed one of the comp titles (WANDERERS), I was excited to read this one. However, I found both the writing style and the main character to be unengaging, and I couldn't keep with it. Also - the introduction of and the main character's interaction with a disabled POC character just in chapter 1 was disappointing - it was awkward and tactless and offputting and completely disconnected me from the story. DNF.
I LOVED the world-building in this world. The opening was a little slow for me and I put it down a couple of times, but it picks up the pace once you get past the first 50 pages. That being said, I enjoyed this book tremendously. Post-apocalyptic stories are some of my favorites, it's all about the "what ifs" for me. What I love the most is that all of the characters are likable, and even though it was a post-apocalyptic story I laughed a lot. It was also thought-provoking and I appreciate that. Nature is in full force and it's scary to think about, especially in today's climate. I highly recommend it!
This just wasn’t for me, I really couldn’t click with any of the story and it was over all just bleh. The writing wasn’t really my style either, I tried and it didn’t work for me.
What would happen if the apocalypse happened and you somehow missed it? This is the central premise driving The Apocalypse Seven, and what I found to be a unique and different take on the end of the world trope.

It starts out by introducing you to the “apocalypse seven” and drawing you in to their individual experiences and collective discovery that something strange happened. I found the characters to be rich and interestingly diverse.  Their introduction can be slow, but stick around.

Once this book gets going it was downright spooky at times. I genuinely did not know what to expect, and the ending did not disappoint. It left me with a barrage of emotions I won’t detail so as to not ruin the surprise. But suffice to say you won’t be disappointed with this excellent thriller.
This wasn’t a big hit with me like it was for other reviewers. I’m glad other people enjoyed it, but I never connected with any of the characters or the story. I did a lot of putting down and picking up with this one, never really being grabbed by the events in the story. Towards the end m, with the big reveal, I was left just kind of with a bored bland dumb feeling. I wish this book good success with other readers.
Entertaining end of the world tale.  Liked the different roles the different characters filled.  The ultimate explanation for what was happening was interesting but rushed a bit.
This was okay for me but not really what I was expecting. Good for fans of books like READY PLAYER ONE and other books with that kind of voice. I just don’t think I am particularly into the POV of college aged boys.
Overall: +6/10

It was a good sci-fi book to cleanse my palate that was overwhelmingly fantasy in recent months.

Writing/Plot/Pace: +6/10

Seven people in New England area wake up to find that they are only survivors of some kind of event (which they end up calling whateverpocalypse because they have no idea whatever happened!) and there are no other humans. The world is runover by mutated version of animals.

The first half of the book is all about the characters, their backgrounds and initial reactions to waking up here and how they end up meeting each other. I'd say this takes initial 60% of the book. The second part is they trying to piece together whatever happened and what steps next. The finale is where we get to the hard sci-fi part with explanations.

the explanations felt a bit rushed and imo (humble and ignorant) opinion, the science parts were glossed over too quickly and rational explanation to the events were very minimal. Wish the author had spent more time on this.

Characters: +6/10

I have conflicting thoughts on the series, but at the end was left with a positive impression. The characters are all done very well and are unique. Though I felt they behave lot more rationally that many when put in this situation, which felt a bit off. Anandha is a male name too, which stood out quite awkwardly!
What if you slept through the apocalypse? That's what 7 people think when they wake up to find themselves completely alone, the world in ruins and no sign of what happened. Robbie and Carol are two Harvard freshman who find themselves in the dorms, not in the correct rooms, completely alone, with dusty hallways, animals roaming the streets, plant life overrunning the city in what they think is one night. They soon run into Toure, another 20-something who thought he was alone in the world. With bizarre weather, new survivors also happen upon the three - Paul, a wild preacher, Win and her horse, Bethany, a 13-year-old, and Ananada an astrophysics who has her own ideas as to what happened. And something seems to be watching them. Can the 7 find out what really happened to humanity?

There is definitely a twist to this apocalypse story - its not what is generally thought of, and the characters are all well written and believable. The true answers aren't until basically the very end of the book, so don't expect to know what's going on until the very last page.
Well that was... Interesting.

This was a kind of Wanderers meets a reverse The Leftovers.

Carol and Robbie wake up in their dorm rooms at Harvard to discover that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is gone.  After a little exploration, they also realize that there are wild animals everywhere and that all of Harvard is extremely overgrown with vegetation.  They run into Toure, and then Bethany, and come to grips that they're in the middle of an apocalypse, or whateverpocalypse as Toure names it.

The focus on survival is next as there's no food on the shelves except some kind of tasteless blocks of packaged energy bars.

The books switches POV to Paul and Win, both in the country side who also experience their own versions of waking up to no one left in their worlds.

Ananda is the seventh and she's a scientist at Harvard who helps to unravel some of the truth of their new world.

I love apocalyptic tales.  The Apocalypse Seven was exactly what I love about these types of stories.  This one had a unique twist and seven interesting characters, none of which drove me crazy and I liked them all.  And there are some extremely strange twists as the answers are revealed.

This was a fun apocalyptic story and I really enjoyed the read.

*Thanks so much to John Joseph Adams/Mariner Books and NetGalley for the advance copy!*
This is an end of the world story.  The problem is the seven individuals who come together in the Boston area have no idea how the apocalypse happened or for that matter, when it happened.

Although well written, it did not appeal to me.  The pacing was uneven and the plot was not interesting.  I felt there was very little character development.
The Apocalypse Seven by Gene Doucette is full of mystery and eerie excitement. The story follow random strangers who wake to find that the world is not the same as they last remembered. Each chapter is experienced through each of the strangers. They quickly find that the world seems deserted. As if that wasn't startling enough, vegetation and animals seem to have covered the city. How long have they been asleep?

In their search for answers and survival, the strangers slowly meet each other in their journey. How do you trust a complete stranger? In an effort to survive, you have to give a little trust and hope that the new people are trustworthy as well.

I enjoyed this book so much. I love starting things off with the odd and mysterious, without explaining any of the why. Stange enough to get you hooked and set with a cast of great characters that you want join them in this crazy story to find out how the heck will they survive while trying to find out what the heck happend. Yes, I was a fan of the TV show Lost for this reason. This book is Lost without going to strange and without the frustrations. Plus, I think folks will enjoy this ending.

I want to thank Gene Doucette, John Joseph Adams/Mariner Books, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley for providing my an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I enjoyed this one, it was intriguing with a good sense of place. The author made it easy to visualise the city devoid of people and over run with wildlife. I was a little worried it would be too YA but I found I liked the characters and their interaction with each other, and I enjoyed the flashes of humour. At times I got frustrated at their poor attempts at getting organised, and failure to discuss anything properly, aaargh just talk to each other already! The book is something of a slow burn most of the way, but then the ending felt a bit too rushed, almost as if there was something missing. I would definitely like to read more from this author, 3.5 stars rounded up (the extra half star is for Elton the horse, my favourite character, I loved him ☺️). Thanks Netgalley.
disclaimer: i received a copy of this book via Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - John Joseph Adams/Mariner Books in return for an honest review.

from the beginning, my only thought was 'wait. what? what the @#%& is happening?' and i consider that an excellent way to start a book. there was a sense of mystery to it, a feeling like you could figure it all out if you just had the time... and maybe one or two clues.

it's good that the mystery was compelling, though, because for the first 1/3 or so of book, the characters were really just there to provide momentum & exposition. they didn't engender empathy or concern, but were instead strident, hollow caricatures of basic archetypes. there was no sense of being invested in their individual journeys or even that it might be necessary.

the mystery here was good - very good. but the events didn't do anything to help develop the characters, they only further enforced and expanded the mystery. i was definitely in it for the story, the mystery, but in the long term, story needs to sustain the characters, to assist in their growth and development - good or bad. 'what the @#%& is happening?' is an amazingly audacious way to start a story but it cannot be the entirety of the story.

two out of five stars
I’ll admit that it took me quite a while to finish the book.  The exposition and setup for each of the seven characters took quite a long time and once I met all of them, I wasn’t sure I wanted to keep reading.  Their backstories were interesting but I wasn’t sure where the book was going.  The world building was interesting because, as a reader, you are constantly asking questions about what is important and what details needed to be remembered.  There is a very long build up to the resolution or explanation for what is happening.  It took longer to set up the plot twist than to explain it and I was left wanting a little more.  Everything was wrapped up very quickly and I honestly would have like to hear more about that, what happens after the reveal.  That’s really vague because I am trying to avoid spoilers.

I did appreciate the different chapters focusing on the characters.  The dialogue felt natural.  The writing was excellent because I could imagine exactly what was happening and where the characters were at.  It didn’t quite feel apocalyptic in the sense that the setting was desolate or hopeless.  The absence of humanity is definitely a key element of the setting.  The book hints at cosmic questions about existence, life, and after-life, but it was very surface level.  There are mentions of philosophers and scientific theories that are very casual but might have a tremendous impact on how the readers understands that is happening.

This review may sound wary or negative, but that had nothing to do with the quality of the writing,  The plot just didn’t catch my attention and others might really enjoy it.

An ARC was provided by #NetGalley for an honest review.
Apocalypse 7: A Monotone Metronome.

Flighty
Almost too cheesy, but a bit too flat to allow for that.  Not sure the distinction matters, as both aren't ideal and I'd have probably felt the same disappointment either way.
Lack of connection.
Lack of drama.
Lack of excitement.
Not an ideal description when referring to a post apocalyptic fiction novel.

There are apocalyptic dangers specific to extreme and unpredictable weather that occur outside of the 4 seasons the survivors have always known. A blizzard one day, a tornado days later. In addition, the animal population has expanded and taken over all previously human occupied areas. Including the species that are the biggest threat to humans, bears, wolves, cougars, etc.

That sounds like it should be exciting, right? However, it ultimately... lacked soul? Now that sounds super cheesy. But it's true. There's no uptick in the heart beat. I had high hopes for this one. So realistically, I may feel more let down as a result.

I'm not sure if it was meant to be a probing philosophical approach about humanity and whether they will try to survive when faced with the most impossible circumstances. Or if it was about how will they choose to do that; will they give up or hold onto their principles prior to the apocalypse? Will those who believe in God question their faith?  All these topics are somewhat involved. Unfortunately, I must stress they're only touched upon very lightly, and enclosed in a YA level. With the lightened approach, it lacked the influencing quality to make me really think on it. It was too weak an attempt to create a spark, and I mostly didn't bother putting any brain power towards it, as the book itself never bothered to push my brain.

*Thank you to Gene Doucette for the advanced digital copy.