Cover Image: Nothing But Blackened Teeth

Nothing But Blackened Teeth

AMAZING quick and beautifully written story for those who want to celebrate spooky season with haunting prose.
The cover of this book let me to believe I would be reading a classic horror story. The book itself just didn’t do it for me. If you decide to read this book please make sure you have a dictionary at your side because you’re going to need it.
Full review on YouTube
Unfortunately, NOTHING BUT BLACKENED TEETH is a DNF for me at 31%. The cover art is fantastic, and the story's premise is horror perfection; however, the execution and characterization felt confusing and off to me.

Though this book didn’t work for me, I look forward to reading what Khaw comes up with next.

Thank you, NetGalley and Macmillan (Tor Nightfire), for providing me with an eBook of NOTHING BUT BLACKENED TEETH at the request of an honest review.
I wanted to like this. I requested the ARC before the mixed reviews came in, and horror isn't my genre, but both Ursula Vernon and Seanan McGuire (two of my favorite authors) liked it, but...I found it to be just okay. It's a quick novella with some creepy visuals, but I'm more disturbed about the rabbit hole of human sacrifice that it led me down online than the book itself.
A haunted house horror novel about five friends staying in a Japanese mansion rumored to be the final resting place of a lonely, jilted bride who longs for company. And only four of them will leave alive. A quick read that's perfect for October.
I really wanted to like this book because the concept sounded really interesting. But I could not get past the extremely poor writing style—especially the handling of the dialogue. I would have just straight DNF-ed after 50 pages if this wasn’t an arc, for which a review is semi-mandatory, but I speedread the whole thing and my feelings were confirmed. The plot did not justify the poor writing style and the characters’ lack of depth and development will keep me from revisiting this book at a later date. This one was definitely not for me.
This one was creepy and quietly clever. The writing was vivid and I could have spent ages longer in the house with the characters. Unfortunately, I did have some trouble with the metaphors/trippy-ness versus actual plot movement/action. It was hard to understand what exactly was happening sometimes.
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with this galley.

I'll be brief since I'm already very late: the premise of this novella was cool the prose didn't endear me to the story. It was at times so florid it obscured meaning and detracted from the storytelling.
Short and "sweet"... if you find creepy enjoyable. Very atmospheric with an interesting setting and characters. There is so much to take in with such a small page count, but it keeps you reading.
This was such a creepy read. A haunted house with secrets and friends with animosity and secrets as well.
Two friends that hate each other because of a guy, and one is getting married to him, so they meet at a house with other friends in their group to celebrate the two. But instead the house has a different agenda. The legend of a bride buried waiting for her husband and taking the soul of others to keep her comfort till her husband comes.
Really good storytelling!
This was a really interesting read. One of the aspects of it that I enjoyed most was the character dynamics. In this novella, we get a glimpse into their lives and what brought them to this venue.  I was invested in how each of them would act in this situation and their motivations. I like when characters are knowledgeable of horror and its tropes. Due to this, the dialogue was self-aware and at times even meta. The commentary provided on queer characters in horror was great. The monster was creepy, but not terrifying. I had fun reading it and would recommend it to readers who want to read queer horror or horror set outside of the US.
The concept and the lore were absolutely fabulous. The problem was that I wanted more. More backstory, just more. The writing was beautiful and I absolutely devoured the book.
Yikes. I really didn't like this book. There was some creepy imagery, but the characters were so unlikeable that I just couldn't wait to be done with the book.
This one didn't fully do it for me and I'm still not quite sure why? I listened to it on audiobook and just felt myself zoning out at times. The story was interesting too, so I think I need to put the blame on the writing style which wasn't pulling me in the same way that it needed to. With such a short book and a punchy premise, you would think that I would speed right through it but zoning out like I did meant that I couldn't pay attention and therefore have the great connection to it that I wanted to.
This read was a quick, spooky novella. It was a little predictable, and a little more literary than what I was hoping for when I picked it up.
But I do love the cultural elements and the setting. I was hoping for something a little darker and a little scarier. Overall, this is a nice appetizer.
While I found the overall premise and writing of the book very interesting and well done, I really felt like it could have been longer. We're told (and only told) over and over that these characters are friends and have been through a lot of drama with one another - but we're shown almost none of it and even the "telling" doesn't really give us enough information for the characters to seem fleshed out and real. The descriptions of the ghosts and the haunted house itself are incredibly well done, but for what's supposed to seem like a character-driven story, it just feels unfinished.
A fun, but underwhelming horror story.

I wanted to be scared, I mean - wouldn't you expect to have chills running down your spine with a cover like this? There was so much build up to the characters that the scary story at the center of this haunting took a backseat and stayed there way beyond its final destination. The MC was internally struggling throughout, referencing the horror genre and her place in it, while the ghost bride hovered in the background, taking possession of the only other female character, but ... not doing much other than descriptively looking terrifying.

The ending was unsatisfying with an inkling of the past lingering within the MC, which sure is cool and expected BUT doesn't really leave a lasting impression.
I've only had the pleasure of reading Cassandra Khaw's short stories before now, and while I loved those too, I now consider myself irrevocably hooked. Whatever Cassandra writes, I don't think I'll need a premise or a blurb; I'm sold on the way their dark and twisted prose has dug deep into my mind and won't leave.

Nothing But Blackened Teeth starts off with a refreshing twist on a favorite trope: a group of slightly estranged friends escaping off to a secluded spot for a reunion (in this case, a wedding). This is one of my favorite horror setups, but Khaw makes it shiny and new (or, should I say, moldy and decaying) by setting it in a legendary, decrepit manor in rural Japan. Our cast of characters are all immensely flawed, some downright unbearable whether due to cruelty or cowardice, but the protagonist had my heart from page one (a fellow chronically depressed bi person, how could I not love Cat?).

The atmosphere is palpable; every moment, I felt as though I could turn around and find myself in one of these rotting rooms. The scares are unique, bizarre, and unsettling in the sense that the spirits' motives feel at times entirely unhinged. There's an element of brutality that had me in awe, and a suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat. Truly, I adored everything about Khaw's storytelling and I know this is a book I'm going to be recommending to anyone who will listen for a long time to come.
I received an advanced copy from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

This was all right, the horror parts were entertaining and good and creepy. The relationships between the characters was odd and never entirely flushed out, I guess they had all been together with each other at one point or another. Parts of this novel were far too detailed in areas that it didn't make sense and other parts (like the horror bits) seemed a bit rushed. However, quick read and if it had been any longer than it was, I likely would not have finished it.
I was really excited to start this, but it was not such a good book when I started reading it. It had so much potential as a horror book in the synopsis, everything was there, but it was NOT at all what I was expecting.