Cover Image: FIZZ

FIZZ

I’m a major DIYer when and where I can.  With the price of some of the beverages at the grocery stores, this book really interested me.  Why not learn to make my own fermented drinks?  What I like best is being knowing what is in that bottle and giving my body some good stuff!

This book lays it all out and is easy to understand and follow.  Get your own Kombucha on and you’ll feel even better, knowing you’re taking great care of yourself!
To be honest I didn't know what fermented drinks and food were before reading Fizz. I mean I knew about kefir, because my friend was lactose intolerance and he only drank kefir. But when I tried kefir for the first time I loved the taste. So to read a book that is based on these bacteria was really new to me. I liked very much all the information about fermented drinks an books. Also I did like very much the non-alcoholic aspect of these drinks. The images/ drawings were awesome!
A good beginners guide to fermented drinks. The book balances the various aspects of the subject matter well (history, recipes, variations, ideas etc).
The authors enthusiasm is obvious but the conversational tone comes off as a touch patronising to me
This book is a very informative starting guid on fermenting drinks. I've made Kombucha a few years ago, but never really learned much about the theory behind it. This book gives a great head start to anyone wanting to start with fermenting. It gives clear instructions on what fermentation is, what you'll need and how to ferment safely. Aside from the usual suspects such as kombucha, (water & milk) kefir and ginger beer, the book also gives information about bread and whey kvass, a drink made in Slavic countries, mead and tepache, again including clear instructions, a basic starting recipe and some variations you can try once you've got the hang of it. The book closes off with a few (alcoholic) cocktails.

Aside from the clear instructions & basic recipes, the book is beautifully illustrated and a lot of fun to read. If you've been putting off starting with fermentation, this is definitely a book for you. It will give you all the tools, instructions & confidence you need.
Helpful book for new fermented drinks!  Nice that additions and ways to alter the original base drinks are included as well as a short description and history of the drinks.  Nice drawings as well.
Great resource chock-full of helpful tips for beginners (like me) who want to venture into the wide world of home-fermented non-alcoholic beverage like kombucha and kefir. I loved the beautiful illustrations throughout - they really made the book feel special and fun. The instruction are straight-forward and detailed enough to be helpful, without being overwhelming. I particularly liked how for each recipe, the author provided first a base recipe, and then explained how that base version can be adapted or adjusted with additional ingredients for different flavors and versions.

I could tell that this author is really enthusiastic about this topic and has spent a lot of time researching the varieties and histories. They even included a section on bread kvass, which is not something you typically see in these cookbooks. Speaking of history, I loved getting to learn a little about the history of each different sort of beverage.

I debated between 4 and 5 stars, because personally I would have loved this book to be even longer and get more in-depth with more science, history, and advanced recipes. BUT I recognize that this is my personal choice, and probably most people will appreciate that the book is just long enough to include all the important stuff without becoming a 500-page tome on home beverage fermentation. (Author, are you reading this? Please write that 500-page tome and I will buy it!)

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book is great if you are new to fermentation.  It is written in a very easy way to learn style.  It explains a lot about fermentation and how to do it yourself. It provides receipes.  I do wish it was less cartoon like in its illustrations and had photos instead.  This would have given a different feel to the book. It is like someone has written it at home and drawn the drawings themselves.  That being said it is a good book for the beginner to learn the basics.
I was interested in fermentation and so I decided to get this book a try. I found it this book to the great job and explaining the fermentation process. The book includes images and step-by-step processes on the fermentation process. The book also includes recipes for readers to try to get an idea of fermentation as well. The author did a great job with explaining fermentation. I recommend giving this book a try.
I enjoyed the mixture of history of each drink and the recipe it self. I found the font size of the book a little too big. I would have preferred a more condensed down booklet sized book than a fat but big font book. I did enjoy the beautiful illustrations
This a great introductory cookbook for people who want to learn how to make fermented drinks from scratch. It has a lot of interesting information about different kinds of fermented beverages.
What a fun book!  Easy to read, lovely pictures, and lots of easy recipes to make your fermented drinks at home. This book introduced me to some fermented drinks I had never heard of, like milk kefir, and some I had heard of, like kombucha.

I think this book is definitely one to read if you are looking to try your hand at home fermenting!

Thank you #netgalley for the ARC!
As someone with little to no experience with fermentation, I found this very helpful. The instructions were simple and the book itself is gorgeous. The artwork is great. This is a good introductory guide to fermentation, I love Kombucha and ginger beer, and I’m excited to try this out. Could be a great money saver considering how much it costs to buy in stores!
This printing is supremely beautiful – the art, typeface, quick and concise histories and directions... I want a copy of this book and would buy it for anyone interested in fermentation.
Yeah did not know what I would be in store for when I picked up Fizz but I’m so glad I did. I love fermented foods and used to make tepache all the time but we wanted to try our hand at kombucha but it all seemed so daunting. Fizz definitely provides you with the tips needed to feel confident in your skills, even if it’s your first time. I also can’t wait to try the other recipes in this book! My summer will be filled with fizzy drinks!
This was quite interesting and I am currently in the process of trying a couple of the things. So I guess this makes the book a resounding success. Easy instructions and although I have not got any results yet, I am fairly confident that this will work.
This nifty book about fermentation from different parts of the globe is a good read most especially for those who want to try their luck at fermenting different drinks.
I was interested in this book because many friends have made kombucha for me, but mostly I saw that it had a recipe for ginger beer which is a drink I use often when making cocktails. If I cans save money on my mixers I'd be very happy and to boot I can now tell my friends that their drink is partially homemade. I thought this book was gorgeous! There are so many illustrations throughout that are just pretty to look at but they also give you a visual for the directions too. The author includes tips which I found interesting because they said if you leave your kombucha brewing for too long that you should just use it as a vinaigrette. I will say though that the tips for each recipe are organized a little weird. Instead of bullet points it is a bunch of down arrows but hey to each their own. I was able to still read it very well. This is a great introductory book to brewing that won't feel like you are just reading a manual.

I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange of an honest opinion.
I really like non-alcoholic fermented drinks such as kombucha and buy them at farmers markets and organic stores.  Too often these drinks have added products that reduce/remove the benefits and you can really tell the difference in taste between homemade and store bought. For quite a while now I've thought about making my own fermented drinks but I've put it off as maintaining a scoby seems daunting to me and prone to failure.  Provides clear and concise instructions and recipes for fermented drinks such as kefir, kombucha, ginger beer and kvass.  I haven't tried to make any yet as the task felt daunting to date, but I feel equipped to take on the task with this helpful accompaniment.  This book is for beginners, and explains the fermentation process and health benefits. It sets out the tools that you need (glass jars, funnel, sieve etc) and gives clear direction on hygiene and ideal conditions to avoid spoiling.  Good illustrations throughout and I look forward to making my first kombucha :)  Thanks to Net Galley and Laurence King Publishing for an advance copy of this book.
Love this recipe book for fermented drinks.
It goes into the history of some drinks which is nice too.
It supplies some delicious recipes for fermented drinks and really goes into how to ferment them. In a simple informative way with some nice pictures also.
We know how good fermented drinks can be for us. But also how expensive they are to buy! So why not do them at home?

I would recommend.
An ideal guide to fermenting non-alcoholic drinks (including kefir and kombucha and others I hadn't heard of). It explains the history behind each drink, and provides easy-to-follow recipes (methods). The fermentation process is demystified and alternative ingredients are proposed. Offering plenty of opportunity for the reader to experiment with flavours and build their knowledge as they become more comfortable with the brewing process. The authors enthusiasm for brewing shone through but I'm not entirely convinced with some of the illustrations - it lent a quirky charm but in some instances were superfluous.