Cover Image: No Way, They Were Gay?

No Way, They Were Gay?

I read a preview of the chapter about Gandhi.  I had never heard anything about even the possibility of him being LGTBQ+, so I was fascinated by this chapter.  It was interesting to read the letters that he wrote to his ”friend”.  I liked that there were little thought bubbles that explained the context of certain parts.  Sources were included at the end of the chapter.

Books like this are so important so that LGTBQ+ people can find representation throughout history. But also so that non-LGTBQ+ people can see this representation and to realize that this is not a new phenomenon.

It would have been nice to have received at least two chapters to see how different stories were told.  It's hard to give a complete review of just one chapter.  But I will definitely be looking for this book when it comes out.
I found this short extract very illuminating - as we all know, LGBT+ history (as well as the history of other minority groups) is often sidelined, and LGBT+ people are often "straightwashed".
I particularly appreciated the letters evidencing Gandhi's relationship, which preemptively quash any knee-jerk denial of Gandhi's queerness.
I thought the front cover very appealing and eye-catching, but the interior graphics felt a bit retro.
Overall, I'd recommend this book to students I teach, and would consider adding it to the school library, subject to seeing a full copy.
This book is very cool. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but this was cool. I'd totally recommend it.
Current Rating: 3.5/5
Synopsis: History sounds really official. Like it's all fact. Like it's definitely what happened. But that's not necessarily true. History was crafted by the people who recorded it. And sometimes, those historians were biased against, didn't see, or couldn't even imagine anyone different from themselves. That means that history has often left out stories of LGBTQIA+ people.

I'd like to start off by saying that the ARC I received is only a sample chapter, and not the entire book so my review is only based on what I read in the Mahatma Gandhi chapter. My review could become higher if I read the whole book, because the chapter I read seemed well researched with all sources attached at the end of the chapter.
That being said, (this chapter at least) felt like an episode of a paranormal history channel show, where they present information on what may or may not be haunted hotels and at the end of the segment say "So what do you think? Do you think the ghost haunts this room?" This chapter felt like they plucked circumstantial evidence and after reading all of the information presented, you may or may not think that Gandhi was homosexual/bisexual by the end of it.
Overall, it's hard to give a review on just one chapter. I don't know every historical figure that will feature in this book, so I don't entirely know what to expect from the book as a whole. I think the concept is promising and it is a book I'd be interested in looking into further.

(For Goodreads: This chapter was sent to me as a free ARC copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)
A great concept! Queer history has been significantly erased, often to preserve public image and so, I like the idea behind this book! It can be nice for LGBTQ people to look back on history through this perspective for a variety of reasons.

However, I wish the book would have also focused on people who themselves had come out as LGBTQ. I think it would be interesting to explore how the history of openly queer people has been written. To me, it seems strange reading the letters of other people, even if they lived years ago but I think that’s a personal preference.

Overall, there’s just something that is missing, thought I can’t place my finger on it. This book just doesn’t draw me in and I need to summon more willpower than normal to read it.
This was a really interesting chapter about Gandhi and I can't wait to read the full book to learn about more historical figures.
I've been saying a book like this needs to exist for a long time, and I'm so glad it finally will. This is going to be a great way for people, especially young LGBTQ people, to expand their knowledge and learn more about those who came before them. Being queer is nothing new, but it's often presented as something that is by people who seek to suppress equality. We're just becoming more and more accepting as a society, though we still have a long way to go. I can't wait for this book to get out there into the world.
The chapter released is really interesting and informative.
We are taught in schools of so many historical figures, but very rarely is theie home life mentioned. and when it is, it's redacted or edited to fit the narrative.
It's fascinating to see how much History books leave out or untold, in order to keep there 'normal' narrative.
If the book continues anything like this chapter, it will be a instant addition to my education and book shelf. I look forward to reading more and being enlightened.
I really enjoyed reading this, even if it was only a chapter!

The writing was interesting and simple, almost to the point where it felt like the narrator was giving you an incredibly interesting and detailed history lesson. I loved that there were graphics included, and that the writing didn't feel like a textbook.

There was a bit of an emphasis put on the fact that queer people have always existed, and I really liked that, as well. It is up to those who write the history books to include such important details about these famous people, but even if they aren't, it doesn't change the fact and what was true. (I had never known that about Gandhi before reading this, and it made me sad.)

Overall, I really like what this book is trying to accomplish, and would definitely love to read more than a single chapter!
I saw the cover of this book and immediately thought, “Are they really saying Gandhi was gay?” After reading the chapter, I know it’s more likely that he is bisexual. It was very well researched, and I’m very interested in reading the other chapters. I’m part of the LGBTQ+ community and out of the folks that are listed as being discussed in the book, I had only heard the rumors about Eleanor Roosevelt. I’m curious to see more than just the one chapter.
The chapter that was made available really interested me. It's fascinating to see how History books leave parts of History figures' lives untold in order to keep the heteronormative narrative. If the book continues like the chapter made available, I'm sure it will be a book I will not want to miss!

Preview received in exchange for review by Netgalley.
As the mother of a queer kid, I love the premise of this book.

While my kid has enjoyed finding various anecdotal evidence on the internet about historical figures being not as heteronormative as history assumes by default, having primary source material along with context will be a good lesson in assessing the reliability of information.
I think it's fair to say that this sneak-peak really left me surprised. I was not expecting that, to be honest. But it was interesting to know. Ghandi is such an impressive figure, even now, so I think it's also great for the LGBTQIA-community to know that he was not just fighting for freedom, also a part of us as well. I am hoping to be able to find out more about the other characters this book is featuring soon!

Preview received in exchange for review by Netgalley.
Beware. This is only a chapter. Unfortunately the author nor editors state this. Should be labeled as a sample. It gives just enough of a glimpse to get you interested.
This is a preview, so I only got to read about Gandhi.  I think if the rest of the book is like this,  I would enjoy it very much.