Cover Image: Win

Win

Ok so this was my first Harlan Coben novel! I know, I know… but at least I finally got to it. Being a read-now on @netgalley I knew it was now or never. Thanks NG!

Anyhow let me tell you that I was impressed by the writing style and the compelling story! You can tell he is a seasoned author who knows how to write. It almost felt like reading a screenplay up be honest. Very visual!

So I was introduced to Win, or rather Windsor Horne Lockwood III, hot unapologetic and someone you don’t want to piss off. Those of you who read Coben will probably know him from his earlier series with Myron Bolitar.

In my head I pictured him as Ryan Gosling, cool, elegant and deadly.
But I digress…. the story revolves around the Jane Street Six, six youngsters who did something stupid 40 years ago that resulted in the deaths of several people.

At present day a man is found dead in an apartment. It turns out he’s Ry Strauss, one of the infamous Jane Street six members, who went into hiding.
When Win is called in for questioning, it quickly becomes clear that Ry must also have been involved in the murder of Win's uncle and the kidnapping and rape of his cousin.
That night, two paintings were stolen, one of which is now hanging in Ry Strauss' flat.

This was a bit complicated to follow, especially if you haven’t read the previous series with Win, because the author introduces a number of characters and it’s hard to keep track of who everyone is.

Thank goodness I buddy read this with my lovely friends Natasa who has read the previous books and helped me understand so many things.

We put our heads together and managed to solve part of the mystery.
But definitely worth reading. I can't wait to read more books by this author.
I always like Harlan Coben’s books and this one is no different. A good book from start to end and very easy to read. Definitely recommend and can’t wait to read more from Coben in the future.
Love Harlan Coben as a rule but did not realise it was part of a series so put it down and intend to read the others first.
Its been a while since I've read anything by Harlan Coben and now I'm a bit annoyed with myself for missing out.
'Win' is a superb, excellently constructed thriller with many facets, all of which tie up beautifully at the end.
I don't think we are supposed to like the protagonist (In the opening pages, we read that he is committing an act of severe violence for a start) but I loved him.
Obviously unapologetically wealthy with no real compassion but an amazing mind, Win is my sort of guy.
Looking forward to reading the next in the series already.
I read a lot of Harlen Coben books about 10 years ago and always enjoyed them. In recent years I have enjoyed the netflix adaptations so I decided to dip in to his latest offering. I will admit the first few pages didn't win my over because the protagonist's voice took some getting used to but when I did I thoroughly enjoyed this compelling read.
Win, the much loved side character from the Myron series, now has his own spin off series. I feel like I got a different view of Win from these books, and that he has aged really well.

Long hidden family secrets, an intriguing mystery and Win's cynical humour all added up to a great read for me. It's Harlan Coben, so it goes without saying the twists were mind-blowing, and jokes were old school, and the pace was faster than light.

Win was a winner for me. And I'm eagerly awaiting book 2.
Loved this book and excited to see more! A thrilling, fast paced story which really pulls you in and leaves you unsure where things stand throughout but in the best way. On the surface the character of Win should be wholly unlikeable yet he endears himself to the reader in my eyes and you really gun for him with all you have.
Tell No One is one of my favourite thrillers. In fact, I can say it was probably one of the first ones I read that really made me love the genre.
This one didn't reach the same heights for me.
Win was a pretty unlikeable character, and his arrogance oozed from each page, which was pretty off-putting. Not sure I really even want to read the next one, as it's apparently the first in a series about him.
The pacing was flat a few times and was pretty forgettable in my opinion.
Win is a great character and I am so glas he finally has his own books.

It's been years since I've read Harlan Coben and I'm greatful to be reintroduced to his writing with win.

A good thriller detective gone rogue vibe, we learn about his family past and follow the repercussions of him carrying out justice.

He has a fun relaxed view of his family riches. He knows he can get away with a lot because of that money which gives a good bit of entertainment

If you don't know Cobens writing but want to try it this is a good one to start with without having to catch up on previous books.
Although a thriller, the subject of this story was a little bit out of my comfort zone, but as a big fan of Harlan Coben I decided to give it a go and I wasn’t disappointed. I found it to be a very interesting and thrilling read.
A fantastic thriller which takes you on a ride with Win.

We learn about Win seeking justice his own way to protect others. The way he seeks justice rattles others cages and has repercussions for him and his family.

We learn about the Jane Street Six and how the story isn’t as straight forward and takes many twists and turns with Win getting to the bottom of the truth and taking him to places he didn’t expect to find himself and uncovering many family secrets for him.

An enjoying read for Harlan Coben fans!
Harlen Coben is a writer that needs reading. He mixes action with adventure and mystery and his books leave an impression long after they've been read.

Win is a spin-off character from his better known  Myron Bolitar series.  I had a totally different mental impression of that Win to this, although as soon as I got a feel for this Win, I could not picture my previous image of him, so good is Mr Coben at enthralling the reader.

A good whodunnit with plenty of character development with the potential for lots more to come.

I can't wait@
Win, sure had me glued to the pages. The crime/mystery was intense, creepy, and intriguing. Win was a fascinating character, whom I am not familiar with, having not read any of the Myron Bolitar books. Certain plot elements do make me keen to revisit the Mickey Bolitar series (Myron's nephew) and also read 'Home'. But you don't have to have read any of those to follow, or enjoy this one, although there are minor spoilers regarding characters and relationships.
Harlan Coben is by no means a rookie author and even a crime-novel-laywoman like myself is familiar with his name and the sheer volume of his novels (also, recently visited one of the few English bookstores in Poland, Coben and Jo Nesbo made up the vast majority of the crime section). So, was I thrilled to get a chance to read and review his new book? Absolutely.

To make things more clear, among many other genres, I do enjoy reading crime novels, however, I try to sample different authors, because I've noticed that after a couple of books, I usually start getting the writer's pattern and then the charm gets lost.

This was, therefore, my first Harlan Coben. Unfortunately, it will be my last one, as well.

The reason most people read crime books is because of the juicy intrigue and the attempts at solving crimes from the couch (also the reason why true crime programmes and podcasts are exploding nowadays). If this is the biggest pull of this particular book as well then let's start from there: the plot/case was interesting. I was scrolling furiously in order to ultimately reach the conclusion, and it was very satisfactory, too! I can definitely say that the ending was not as predictable as many other crime novels I've read in the past. My two stars are based entirely on this, plot only.

Now, five stars would indicate a masterpiece on my scale, so that's very difficult to achieve (only one book made it this year), but there were still two readily available stars up for grabs: what went wrong?

Well, nice of you to ask. Win did. As in Win, the main character. Let's start from the end here. Upon finishing the book, I checked the other reviews to see if everyone hated Win as much as I did (I do sometimes have some controversial opinions, but I was expecting a unanimous vote here) - and they did not. Many people seemed to be raving about how incredible he is. I looked further, and finally got it - Win was a supporting character from another series who only now got his own books. And while some of us had just stumbled into his world, others had been waiting for this for years and years. Those, too, were the people who are crazy about Win.

I can totally see myself going bananas over a favourite supporting character of mine getting his own series, no matter how despicable the character, so I am not judging, friends.

But having to have read a whole other series of books in order to like the character speaks volumes.

Win is just the most annoying, stuck up, ridiculously pompous prick you can imagine. That his inner monologue reveals that he realizes his face is punchable is just great. Because I don't remember the last time I read about such a punchable character. Win comes of as the sort of guy who would pleasure himself while looking at a mirror. He is all talk about how tough he is, how rich he is, how handsome he is, how he doesn't care about anyone and anything, how he's above it all, he's got everyone figured out. It's incredibly annoying and makes it so very difficult to care about him at all. I haven't met anyone as rich as Win, but I have met people with Win attitudes and first of all, more often than not, they would be all wrong about the conclusions they had from observing everyone who they think they've totally figured out, and second of all, they would always, without fail, make everyone in the general vicinity roll their eyes and try to run away from the annoying person. So in the real world Win would not be hot and adored by the masses, everyone would avoid him like a leper just so they don't have to hear the "You all are basic bitches, I'm so much better than this" crap. P.S. No idea how Subway is in the US, but in Europe it's incredibly good, so stuff it, Win.
We follow the story of Win Lockwood – He is a billionaire from old money. He has been asked to come to a crime scene where a someone has been found murdered, police have found something that belongs to his family - a painting stolen years ago. Win sets out to discover why this man had the artwork and finds other interesting things about the family. I don’t want to give away too much of the story.

This is my first Harlan Coben book. I will be honest I did struggle a little with this book, I listened to it as an audio book while I was working from home. The book had scandals and twists and turns. It did keep me intrigued to get to the end of the story.

Thank you Random House UK, Cornerstone and Netgalley for the copy for an honest book review.
This is a great thriller with superb twists, an elegant narrative and great structure.

I couldn't warm to the central protagonist, he's cold and he's meant to be that way. Some may enjoy this sociopath treatment, others won't. But don't let that get in the way, if you're plot motivated rather than character empathetic you'll really enjoy the novel.
This book really wasn’t me even though I continued reading until the end. It was exciting and thrilling with a convoluted plot and interesting twists. I read it because I wanted to find out what happened- but I didn’t feel involved or invested with any of the characters. There was too much bravado and machismo and too little empathy. I’m sure it’s a great book for fans of Harlan Coben.
Niles Crane as a loveable psychopath. I like Coben when he's letting his sense of humour show, and that was evident here, along with a great plot.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Harlan never disappoints he's such a fabulous author. Thus book was no exception. Well written. Suspenseful, great characters. Recommended.
This book started quite well, but I felt like I got a bit lost towards the end. From reading other reviews, I seem to be in the minority though.
I read this book as a standalone, not realising that the main character is from another series, and I think without the background of the character,  I lost some perhaps useful information.
I would still go back and read the series, then perhaps this standalone,  and see if that helped.