Cover Image: THE SYNDICATE SIX MURDER

THE SYNDICATE SIX MURDER

Police procedurals are a great way to distract yourself from stress and this one was very well written.  Tense, atmospheric, well plotted, and memorable.
Firstly, I have to say that this novel reads like a traditional, old-school, murder mystery novel reminiscent of Christie, Sayers, and the like.

Unique in its setting, the real-life, world renowned police college in Hampshire called Bramshill, the murder investigation is almost solely comprised of police officers and their families.

I enjoyed the moral dilemma that Blade was experiencing with his wife and son clearly suspects in the murder. Other professional allegiances were tested as well.

The plot was well-paced and the writing polished. The final reveal, like all traditional mystery stories took place with all of the suspects gathered together in one room.

This police procedural murder mystery covered themes of ambition and blackmail. I enjoyed the read and I’m curious as to why this is the first in a prospective series featuring DI Dorothy Fraser and not Detective Superintendent Ralph Blade who was clearly the protagonist…
A police procedural involving the murder of a high ranking officer Detective Harold Ashington whose body is found in a chest at Bramshill, the world famous Police Staff College. Detective Superintendent Ralph Blade is put in charge of the investigation. Harold was known as a bully and a blackmailer while he and Ralph have a history as well involving Ralph's wife Julie and their son and their time together at MET. It seems that Harold had pushed too many buttons the wrong way and the list of who would have liked to end his existence is pretty long. It is upto to DS Ralph and his new second in command Detective Dorothy Fraser to solve this case before things get heated up for DS Ralph.

This was a fast paced police procedural and a short one in length but it was anticlimactic for me in terms of who the real culprits turn out to be....it seems even DS Ralph manages to figure it out halfway through the book who the culprits are but only reveals it in the end.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Joffe Books and the author for the e-Arc of the book. The book was published on 30th October 2020. I had read this book in December but am sharing my review now.

Rating:⭐⭐⭐💫
An enjoyable read with interesting characters. The plot was well thought out and came together nicely at the end.
This was my first introduction to this author and I will definitely be reading more in the future. Focussing on a police college, those investigating must tread treacherous waters as they end up investigating their own people, trying to find out exactly who is the culprit.

I really liked the characters - especially the newly married couple John and Becky, both keen to impress those older and more experienced than them.

The story slowed a little in places but picked up pace and whilst I had an inkling about who the culprit/culprits would be and found it to be correct, there are many twists and turns along the way.
Excellent mystery which I thoroughly enjoyed.  There were many twists and turns which kept you guessing.
The background to the main event was well explained and laid the ground for you as the reader to have lots of questions in your head as the story progressed.
Good clearly defined characters and a well written plot.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this copy in exchnage for an honest review.
An excellent mystery that kept me guessing and hooked till the last page.
A gripping plot, full of twists and turns, excellent characters and a solid mystery.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
What a freaking page turner. Book had me guessing from page to page and I never wanted to put it down. Literally did not see the end coming. At all.  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Great book I really loved it! I was hooked from the start, thank you so much for providing me a copy of this book to read. This is something I would love to purchase.
It was an okay read. Everything was okay in this book. The plot was okay. It had mystery but just enough so I finish reading it. I wasn't hooked as such. The characters were okay. Few elements were harsh and it just didn't feel right.

Mysteries lovers could very well read it as it has a different setting from most usual ones and it might bode well for others.
I really liked the beginning of this book where the author discusses the reasoning behind this book and the truths - it was fascinating!

They made a lot of noise around the ghosts but I feel like this could have been explored a bit further.

It really annoyed me that Dorothy was referred to by her personal name not surname but the two men, one who she outranked,  was referred to by their second name. This needs to be sorted before publication. Either everyone is called by their last name or their first otherwise it stinks of misogyny. She even tells her junior that her last name will do for now so is very odd that the men are called by their surname but not her.

It was a very easy, gentle, obvious Read but thats what a cosy murder mystery is about. Overall I'd give it 3 stars but knock one off for the annoying use of poor Dorothy's disrespectful first name use!
Geoffrey Osborne is a new author to the brilliant Joffe Books so I was intrigued to find out what he had to offer.  I wasn't disappointed this is a very intriguing mystery that kept me intrigued all the way through.

A body is found in a chest and Ralph Blade is called to the scene.  He knows the victim and so does Blade's wife. As the story unfolds Blade, his wife and son find themselves all suspecting each other but apart from the family suspicions there are many other suspects.  The victim was not well liked and many would be pleased to have him off the scene.  The investigation hasn't progressed very far when another body turns up that of one of the suspects Blade was eager to speak to and so the story progresses and becomes more intriguing as the pages turn.

The characters are realistic and the author sets the scenes very well to enable the reader to envisage them effectively.  The story moves along at a steady pace allowing the reader to get into the nitty gritty slog of detective work.

A very engaging read I am hoping for more in this series.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and found the subject matter fascinating, having been to a similar place before. Definitely recommended to those readers who enjoy reading this type of book.
A well-written strong murder story amongst the police themselves. Quite short which was no bad thing. Plenty of cooks to stir pots, often not in helpful ways - it is a Police Training College after all. Bit too much personal angst for me  with relationships that I didn't feel it really added to the story. Thanks to NetGalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
A murder mystery set in a police training academy where all the suspects are police officers! When the killer is an officer of law, they would know better than to leave behind any evidence.

The mystery behind the murder was really good. The digging for clues was impressive too. Having said that, the investigators jumping into conclusions is something I did not expect to read this in a murder mystery. I did not like it, either. The investigators seemed so 'sure' of the fact that they were right in their assumptions.

Also, the character portrayal was too mushy for my taste. A glimpse into the characters' personal lives does make the story better but in this case, we see a whole lot of cooing and emotional outbursts.
First, I would like to say a big thank you to Netgalley and Joffe Books for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for my honest review!

Detective Blade gets called to the local police academy to investigate the murder of Ashington - a man he has no warm feelings towards. From the start, the list of suspects is not short; however, Blade and his family could be implemented.

This is a quasi locked-room mystery - who could have killed Ashington and managed to dump his body in the middle of a busy police academy? The plot thickens as suspects are ruled out but more potential murderers come to light.
A strangely weird story line involving police, murdering police and those connected to the Brams Hill police college. A story interwoven with police bullying lower rank officers, not an easy read but enough to make you read to the end.
Wow. I think this book is very realistic and I felt the drama and tension! Of course, I love a good crime book, but this one just felt different. A good different. Can't wait to read more from this author!

Thank you for allowing me to read this and give my honest opinion.
A murder, you say? A body found in an antique chest in at the world famous Police College? Ok, sure, I’ll check it out.
Turns out more than one murder and oodles and I mean oodles of people to solve it. So many cooks are stirring this pot, it gets too busy in the kitchen. In fact, lots of them and some of their families knew the victim and had perfectly good reasons to do away with him. So a proper mess and it’s down to the excellently named detective Ralph Blade and his intrepid team to figure this out. Which they do and in pretty reasonable time, all things considered.
Police procedurals are some of my least favorite types of murder mysteries, but when done right, they are perfectly palatable. This one was done…well, kind of right. It’s very British, which is always nice. It’s decently written. It has a lot of leads and clues and all that to confuse the readers away from the real culprit. And it’s short, which is just excellent, because succinctness can be really admirable in a genre often prone to overwriting.
On the other side, I didn’t love the characters, found their involvement with each other to be overwhelmingly tangled and their love lives all too intricately convoluted. And the overall tone was very…mild, somehow, despite the, you know, dead bodies.
This isn’t a cozy mystery by any means, but the thrills here are measured and it’s easy to picture an elderly British gentleman of staid bearing and tweedy attire retiring to his respectably sedate study to smoke a pipe while reading it.
Perfectly decent, if not especially memorable or exciting, quick read. Thanks Netgalley.
Murder mystery set in a Police Training College where the victim, the suspects, and the investigators are police officers. What could possibly go wrong!

Though by (my) normal standards this is a short book at only 164 pages, it feels much longer. The chapters are not overly long, as we follow DS Ralph Blade and his team as they investigate the murder of a man for whom many will not shed a tear, and as such, there is an abundance of suspects and motives that need to be investigated.

I enjoyed the storyline and the fact that the author used a real location and object in which to set his crime.