Cover Image: The Girl on the Platform

The Girl on the Platform

I had no idea what to expect and this was my first book by this author. I really got involved in the story and the ending was brilliant.  As someone who, I now realise was suffering from post natal depression, this was really well thought out and explained.  I do love how she put the economic consequences of decisions and that was very helpful.

I will investigate more by this author - and please do yourself a favour and read this.

I was given an advance copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own.
Bridget collapses into her seat on her train home at the end of a long work day. She leans against the window, dozing on and off, until a sight shocks her awake. Two man are dragging a little girl into a white van. She has just witnessed a kidnapping. As the train speeds on, she asks other train riders if they saw the little girl. They didn’t. She reports it to the police but no child has been reported missing. Where is the little girl? Why is Bridget the only one who cares?

This psychological thriller will keep you up until you read the whole story.
Postpartum depression was being exploited by a kidnapper of young children, but nobody to include Bridgets husband would believe that she seen a child being abducted from a train station platform while she was on the train.
She was exhausted and on depression medication, but she knows what she saw.

This is a book that is more driven to the mystery side rather than suspense until the end, but you have it figured out,so it’s not really suspenseful. For me the author lost me in several chapters that didn’t seem to work diligently with the storyline. I had to keep putting down the book and coming back to it because it was a sharp consistent flow. I think the storyline was interesting and I loved Bridgets character, but the overall other ones just needed some work to make me want to read it.

I received a free advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.
This was such a compelling read - I could feel Bridget's tensions and fears and felt anxious while I was reading it. I had my suspicions as to where the plot was leading quite early in the story but it did not lessen the tension or spoil the plot in any way.
Having finished the book and found that the author has experienced mental health problems and postnatal depression explained why the story was so very convincing.
Many thanks to Netgalley/Bryony Pearce/Avon Books for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own.
I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it as it kept me guessing until the end, Perfect for fans of the girl on the train.
The Girl on the Platform is quite a hard book for me to review. On the one hand I guessed fairly early on where the book was headed. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

It was compulsively readable, and I found myself reading it any moment I could snatch.

Bridget is an exhausted new mum travelling home on her daily commute when she sees a young girl kidnapped from a station platform.

None of the other passengers see anything and the police are dubious at best.

Bridget can’t let it go though and as her search becomes increasingly obsessive even the reader begins to doubt if she actually saw anything.

“My eyes blur.

A white van is parked by the platform, no markings, the paintwork a flag against the darkness from a weathered concrete post, a single light glows, illuminating a little girl. She sits on a case outside the shuttered coffee booth, kicking her heels against the leather. She can’t be more than six. Where’s her mum?...

I blink. And then men are there, two of them. They lift the squirming girl to her feet, haul her towards the van.”

The tension builds and builds throughout the book and I almost wanted to skip ahead because the waiting for the ending was unbearable.
The Girl on the Platform
by Bryony Pearce
Avon Books UK
Avon
 General Fiction (Adult)  |  Mystery & Thrillers  |  True Crime
Pub Date 15 Apr 2021

I am watching The Girl on the Platform through Avon Books UK and Netgalley:

New Mother Bridget catches her train home from London one day, when she witnesses something terrible.  A young girl is kidnapped from the platform right before her eyes.

No one but Bridget knows the little girl is missing.  When Bridget tells others she’s written off as an attention seeker because no one has reported the little girl as missing.  Not even her own husband believes Bridget.

Bridget knows what she saw and becomes consumed with finding the little girl. Only she can save the child’s life… but could delving into the mystery cost Bridget her life?

I give The Girl on the Platform five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
Wow 😯 what a read ! I found it a little slow at the beginning but once it got going it was a real page turner. Lots of twists and turns along the way , I did guess the outcome quite early on but was interesting to see how the author brought it all together. Will definitely read more by this author.
This was a brilliant psycho thriller! I had an idea what might be going on quite early into the story but I wasn’t 100% sure so I just had to keep reading until the end.

Bridget, a new mom, is on her way home from work, half asleep on the train when she witnesses a kidnapping. It seems she is the only one that saw it and not everyone believes her. Many think she was dreaming or hallucinating. Then strange things start happening when Bridget won’t leave this kidnapping alone.

The chapters switch between being about Bridget and then about a little kidnapped girl.

I really liked Bridget and her husband Tom, but sometimes found it hard to understand Bridget’s actions and way of handling things, but then again I have never suffered from postnatal depression so I wouldn’t know if it is possible for a mother to act or think the way Bridget did. I had a strong dislike for Bridget’s mother right from the start. She seemed so controlling an manipulative that I was really rooting for Bridget and Tom to move away to start a peaceful village life away from Bridget’s mother.

The characters were well rounded and the story telling was really good and exciting.

I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Good book easy to read great plot loved the characters felt I know them very good plot loved the depth I'm the plot keep me hooked read in  day very good
A truly gripping intense thriller that will keep you hooked to every page.

Bridget is traveling on the train, home from work, when she sees a child abduction take place at a station they pass.  No-one else on the train saw the child or the abduction and no-one has reported a child missing.  Bridget is sure of what she saw but everyone begins to doubt her.  Did she imagine it ? Dream it ? Or as some are suggesting is it a way to draw attention to herself ?

Determined to find the truth on her own, Bridget starts to investigate past child abductions to try and find the girl.  She finds a pattern to past abductions but will anyone believe her ?  And will she ever find the truth about the little girl ?

This is a great thriller where you have no idea what to believe.  I really liked Bridget but although I was hoping she would uncover the truth I was also having my doubts about her reliability.  If you love thrillers that keep you on your toes, you will love this.

Thank you to Avon Books UK and Netgalley for a digital copy of this book.
Bridget , the tired mom of an 8 month old, with post partum depression takes her seat on the train.  She nods on and off with her head against the window and then she sees a child being abducted from the train platform.  No one else see this and no one believes her since she has been having a difficult time.  Since no one believes her, she does her own investigation.

This is a great read but it is pretty easy to see where the story is headed.  That doesn't take away from the enjoyment of reading this book.  The writing style makes it such a joy to spend time with.  It was a quick read for me at less than a day.
I have to admit I skim read this book for a good seventy five percent of it. I always find reading dream sequences and descriptions of dreams a complete turn off. I like reality more and no matter how awful and regular a dream is it’s still only a dream.
A gripping captivating read from the first page, where Bridget spots a young girl being kidnapped from a train platform - but noone else sees it happening. Bridget ends up carrying out her own investigation - all against a background of her own post partum depression, so as readers we are left to ask whether what we are reading is actually happening, or more in Bridget's head
WOW!   This book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.  A storyline full of intrigue and mystery with a good mix of a psychological thriller made for a fabulous read. Some amazing twists and a fabulous main character who I so wanted to step in and help.  I couldn’t put the book down !   This is one of the best physiological thrillers I have read in a long time.

I did figure things out but that did nothing to take away from the story.  The author created an intense story with excellent character development which makes an all round exciting book.

Thank you to Netgalley and Avon Books UK for the opportunity to read this amazing book.
A gripping, dark psychological thriller Bridget witnesses a child being abducted from her train window but noone else sees. At times an emotional read, Bridget is suffering with post natal depression, the feelings of being an exhausted new mum very relatable. With noone believing her she starts her own investigation. I really didn't know who to trust, or what was going on. I had to keep turning the pages to find out.

Thank you to Netgalley and Avon books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review
Exhausted new mother Bridget is on her way home from work late one night on the train when she sees something shocking; a little girl being grabbed off the platform of a station her train is speeding through and thrown into a white van. Nobody else sees it, though, and since Bridget is suffering from post-natal depression and on a strong medication with possible hallucinatory side effects, it soon becomes apparent that the police don’t quite believe her.

Which doesn’t explain the white van which starts following Bridget around. Or the incredible detail she can recall, right down to the logo of the rose on the little girl’s blazer pocket. A specialist in data analysis, Bridget starts doing what she does best; investigate the data. All the data on children who vanished without trace, over the last twenty years, with particular focus on those missing from railway stations. One case, twenty years old, strikes a strange chord, and when Bridget finds herself in the small Northern town a little girl called Frances vanished from, something starts stirring in her memory. Something impossible.

The twist here is actually telegraphed really early, even though it’s not explicitly spelled out, but the reader has to wait for Bridget to discover it and to uncover all the details about why. There are still some threads left open - why therapist Gillian was so loyal to Bridget’s mother didn’t really add up for me, and what about all that data Bridget analysed? Because she really did find a pattern, one which makes me wonder if there might be a second book here where Bridget helps the police find more missing children. I’d love to read it, if so. Bridget’s past would provide a major impetus for her to get involved in such cases and she has the skillset to do it.

It’s unusual to read a character with mental illness, depicted with clear and unflinching detail, as the heroine rather than the villain in a mystery thriller. PND is very real and can be crippling, and although it’s eventually revealed that Bridget’s issues are both deeper and at least partially induced by external forces, her struggles as a working mother to a young baby (with dietary issues, no less) and her desperate desire to do the right thing by her daughter are painful to read. This is gut-wrenching in parts, I think especially to anyone who has children and has felt that crippling fear they’re failing as a parent, and the contrast between that and the shocking emotional betrayals of the eventual villain are extreme.

I honestly couldn’t put this down once I’d got into it, which didn’t take long at all; I was hooked by the end of the first chapter. Five stars for a terrific read and I’ll definitely be looking for more books from this author.
First let’s talk about Grace. What a “real” character she is. She just had a baby 7 months ago. She is suffering from postpartum. She is the breadwinner while her husband is a stay at home dad and her commute is killing her, she is tired, her mom is kind driving her nuts with all the ways Grace isn’t doing things right for the baby and, as a mom, I completely got it. Guilt for working and guilt if she didn’t work. Happy her hubby can stay home and also jealous.

Then she sees a young girl get kidnapped on a platform on the way home. But no one else saw it. Why not? Do the police even believe her? Can she trust her own tired brain?

And then the nightmares start. WOW! What a story is told through her nightmares and through her thoughts.

I wanted to read the book and then needed to stop at times to process what was going on with Grace.

This is a really good story. It keeps you wanting to read one more page and then another. There is so much going on and yet none of it is overwhelming. Really recommend anyone who enjoys suspenseful reads and wants to keep your mind guessing.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to the publisher, Bryony Pearce and Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book for my honest opinion.

In this story we meet Bridget, who I loved to read about, she is a mother to her daughter and married.  She is on the train when she sees what appears to be a young girl being kidnapped. She alerts the relevant people but it seems like there is no evidence to suggest the kidnapping takes place. Bridget starts investigating the kidnapping and lots of questions are asked.

I found this book very intriguing but also quite upsetting to read at times.  I read this book quicker than I what I thought as it pulled me in and kept me captivated until the end.  I will be reading other books by Bryony Pearce as I loved her style of writing.

The many twists and turns in this novel really does make for a great read.
Enjoyable read! Kept my interest the whole way through! Though I have to admit I figured out the plot twist fairly early on.... still I enjoyed reading and I grew to love bridget and graces characters and needed to know what happened in the end....

Thabk you to netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book!