Cover Image: The Girl on the Platform

The Girl on the Platform

Warning - do not start this book if you do not have time to finish in a single sitting. Also, finishing it right before bed... maybe not the best idea either because WOW.
Serious 'Girl on the Train' and 'Gone Girl' vibes, but still uniquely captivating.
Bridget Carlson is rushing home as she does every weeknight, to her husband Tom and their 7-month-old daughter Grace. They live in a small flat and it takes Bridget a couple of hours every day to go to work and back. She has a well-paid job as a Senior Manager at a London research agency, and Tom works from home as he takes care of Grace whilst writing a book. Tom is a very caring father but Bridget is exhausted every day as her work demands long hours. Bridget is unhappy and is taking an anti-depressant as she suffered from postnatal depression. Her mum helps out and takes care of Grace one day a week though she and Tom don't always get on. Bridget's sister Gillian, also offers assistance. Half asleep on the train, Bridget awakens to see a child being taken from a station platform. Panicked, she calls the police to explain what happened but they don't believe her and neither does Tom.

The Girl on the Platform is an intense and riveting story. As the reader is party to Bridget's suffering her nightmares, her past, and her feelings all manifest including a massive secret. As the twists kept bombarding me, everything eventually came together in this harrowing tale. A nuanced sophisticated and fascinating mystery.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Avon Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
A brilliant debut thriller.
When Bridget see’s a young girl being abducted from the platform.
No one believes her and no young girl has been reported missing.
So Bridget decides to find this girl but will doing this cost her her own family.
This book was brilliant will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Thanks NetGalley
What an amazing book I just finished. I might fall short of words in order to express my feelings for this book. At times, I had to spot myself from reading it because I could not believe what I was reading. I highly recommend this to other readers. The story remained in my mind for like end number of times.
Bridget and her husband Tom live in a small apartment with their 8 month old daughter Grace.
Although on medication for post natal depression its decided Bridget will return to work and Tom stay home to care for Grace.
She works long hours and has a lengthy commute home from London.
One evening as the train is passing through a station Bridget sees a young girl being kidnapped from the platform.
Can she really be the only one to see?
Of course she informs the police but as no one has reported their child as missing no one believes her.
She just can`t let this go, she has to find the missing girl.
Her obsession puts her marriage her daughter even her own life at risk.
A brilliant plot, great characters so many twists and turns.
The tension build up to the shocking ending, absolutely loved this book.
Thanks to Netgalley and Avon books for the chance to read this.
I had no idea what to expect and this was my first book by this author. I really got involved in the story and the ending was brilliant.  As someone who, I now realise was suffering from post natal depression, this was really well thought out and explained.  I do love how she put the economic consequences of decisions and that was very helpful.

I will investigate more by this author - and please do yourself a favour and read this.

I was given an advance copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own.
Bridget collapses into her seat on her train home at the end of a long work day. She leans against the window, dozing on and off, until a sight shocks her awake. Two man are dragging a little girl into a white van. She has just witnessed a kidnapping. As the train speeds on, she asks other train riders if they saw the little girl. They didn’t. She reports it to the police but no child has been reported missing. Where is the little girl? Why is Bridget the only one who cares?

This psychological thriller will keep you up until you read the whole story.
Postpartum depression was being exploited by a kidnapper of young children, but nobody to include Bridgets husband would believe that she seen a child being abducted from a train station platform while she was on the train.
She was exhausted and on depression medication, but she knows what she saw.

This is a book that is more driven to the mystery side rather than suspense until the end, but you have it figured out,so it’s not really suspenseful. For me the author lost me in several chapters that didn’t seem to work diligently with the storyline. I had to keep putting down the book and coming back to it because it was a sharp consistent flow. I think the storyline was interesting and I loved Bridgets character, but the overall other ones just needed some work to make me want to read it.

I received a free advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.
This was such a compelling read - I could feel Bridget's tensions and fears and felt anxious while I was reading it. I had my suspicions as to where the plot was leading quite early in the story but it did not lessen the tension or spoil the plot in any way.
Having finished the book and found that the author has experienced mental health problems and postnatal depression explained why the story was so very convincing.
Many thanks to Netgalley/Bryony Pearce/Avon Books for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own.
I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it as it kept me guessing until the end, Perfect for fans of the girl on the train.
The Girl on the Platform is quite a hard book for me to review. On the one hand I guessed fairly early on where the book was headed. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

It was compulsively readable, and I found myself reading it any moment I could snatch.

Bridget is an exhausted new mum travelling home on her daily commute when she sees a young girl kidnapped from a station platform.

None of the other passengers see anything and the police are dubious at best.

Bridget can’t let it go though and as her search becomes increasingly obsessive even the reader begins to doubt if she actually saw anything.

“My eyes blur.

A white van is parked by the platform, no markings, the paintwork a flag against the darkness from a weathered concrete post, a single light glows, illuminating a little girl. She sits on a case outside the shuttered coffee booth, kicking her heels against the leather. She can’t be more than six. Where’s her mum?...

I blink. And then men are there, two of them. They lift the squirming girl to her feet, haul her towards the van.”

The tension builds and builds throughout the book and I almost wanted to skip ahead because the waiting for the ending was unbearable.
The Girl on the Platform
by Bryony Pearce
Avon Books UK
Avon
 General Fiction (Adult)  |  Mystery & Thrillers  |  True Crime
Pub Date 15 Apr 2021

I am watching The Girl on the Platform through Avon Books UK and Netgalley:

New Mother Bridget catches her train home from London one day, when she witnesses something terrible.  A young girl is kidnapped from the platform right before her eyes.

No one but Bridget knows the little girl is missing.  When Bridget tells others she’s written off as an attention seeker because no one has reported the little girl as missing.  Not even her own husband believes Bridget.

Bridget knows what she saw and becomes consumed with finding the little girl. Only she can save the child’s life… but could delving into the mystery cost Bridget her life?

I give The Girl on the Platform five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
Wow 😯 what a read ! I found it a little slow at the beginning but once it got going it was a real page turner. Lots of twists and turns along the way , I did guess the outcome quite early on but was interesting to see how the author brought it all together. Will definitely read more by this author.
This was a brilliant psycho thriller! I had an idea what might be going on quite early into the story but I wasn’t 100% sure so I just had to keep reading until the end.

Bridget, a new mom, is on her way home from work, half asleep on the train when she witnesses a kidnapping. It seems she is the only one that saw it and not everyone believes her. Many think she was dreaming or hallucinating. Then strange things start happening when Bridget won’t leave this kidnapping alone.

The chapters switch between being about Bridget and then about a little kidnapped girl.

I really liked Bridget and her husband Tom, but sometimes found it hard to understand Bridget’s actions and way of handling things, but then again I have never suffered from postnatal depression so I wouldn’t know if it is possible for a mother to act or think the way Bridget did. I had a strong dislike for Bridget’s mother right from the start. She seemed so controlling an manipulative that I was really rooting for Bridget and Tom to move away to start a peaceful village life away from Bridget’s mother.

The characters were well rounded and the story telling was really good and exciting.

I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Good book easy to read great plot loved the characters felt I know them very good plot loved the depth I'm the plot keep me hooked read in  day very good
A truly gripping intense thriller that will keep you hooked to every page.

Bridget is traveling on the train, home from work, when she sees a child abduction take place at a station they pass.  No-one else on the train saw the child or the abduction and no-one has reported a child missing.  Bridget is sure of what she saw but everyone begins to doubt her.  Did she imagine it ? Dream it ? Or as some are suggesting is it a way to draw attention to herself ?

Determined to find the truth on her own, Bridget starts to investigate past child abductions to try and find the girl.  She finds a pattern to past abductions but will anyone believe her ?  And will she ever find the truth about the little girl ?

This is a great thriller where you have no idea what to believe.  I really liked Bridget but although I was hoping she would uncover the truth I was also having my doubts about her reliability.  If you love thrillers that keep you on your toes, you will love this.

Thank you to Avon Books UK and Netgalley for a digital copy of this book.
Bridget , the tired mom of an 8 month old, with post partum depression takes her seat on the train.  She nods on and off with her head against the window and then she sees a child being abducted from the train platform.  No one else see this and no one believes her since she has been having a difficult time.  Since no one believes her, she does her own investigation.

This is a great read but it is pretty easy to see where the story is headed.  That doesn't take away from the enjoyment of reading this book.  The writing style makes it such a joy to spend time with.  It was a quick read for me at less than a day.
I have to admit I skim read this book for a good seventy five percent of it. I always find reading dream sequences and descriptions of dreams a complete turn off. I like reality more and no matter how awful and regular a dream is it’s still only a dream.
A gripping captivating read from the first page, where Bridget spots a young girl being kidnapped from a train platform - but noone else sees it happening. Bridget ends up carrying out her own investigation - all against a background of her own post partum depression, so as readers we are left to ask whether what we are reading is actually happening, or more in Bridget's head
WOW!   This book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.  A storyline full of intrigue and mystery with a good mix of a psychological thriller made for a fabulous read. Some amazing twists and a fabulous main character who I so wanted to step in and help.  I couldn’t put the book down !   This is one of the best physiological thrillers I have read in a long time.

I did figure things out but that did nothing to take away from the story.  The author created an intense story with excellent character development which makes an all round exciting book.

Thank you to Netgalley and Avon Books UK for the opportunity to read this amazing book.