Cover Image: The Girl on the Platform

The Girl on the Platform

I found The Girl on the Platform to be a slow burner that gradually builds in intensity and you find yourself getting totally absorbed into the novel. There are a number of twists and turns in this plot that add depth to the story and although I did guess the ending, it was still most enjoyable. Thank you to NetGalley, Avon Books UK and the author for the chance to review.
I love books that make me feel uncomfortable and send shivers over my skin.

The Girl on The Platform manages to do this, and more! Highly addictive read
Trigger Warning: Gaslighting / Child Abduction

What's scarier than witnessing a young child get snatched from a train platform when their parent isn't looking? Having the police not believe you. The very people who are meant to protect us and investigate such things won't follow it up no matter how much you plead.

Bridget's story is a relatable one, new mother, lack of sleep, general fear that something bad will happen to this tiny human baby you are now responsible for. Lack of sleep and post-natal depression can do some very strange things to the brain.
When looking out of the train window, on her way home, Bridget sees a child snatched from a platform and bundled in to the back of a white van. No one else on the train saw anything of the sort, even the police questioned if she really had seen anything.

Bridget wraps herself up in trying to help this young girl, frustrated and consumed by it and driven to distraction to try and figure out how to help. Exhausted with no one believing her, she really does her best to forget about it.

So many things could be written off as co-incidence, a white van following Bridget's car (there are countless white vans out there), forgetting things or feeling groggy could be chalked up to lack of sleep rather than being drugged.

Without wanting to spoil things, the story only ramps up from there. Gaslighting doesn't even come close to the deception and subterfuge as the truth is gradually unveiled.
Incredibly well written, terror inducing almost (in a good way!) and you can't turn the pages fast enough to find out what happens.

My only complaint is that it was a little slow to get going for my taste, but I can absolutely say the resulting turmoil and ending was very much worth struggling through that 'slow' period at the start. The groundwork it lays is important.
Bridget sees a child being snatched from a railway station but the train is going too fast for her to see clearly.
It appears no one is investigating so takes it upon herself to do so.
I thought the characters were well portrayed and was really involved with them. A slightly disappointing ending but well worth reading nonetheless
A wonderful thriller with a lot of unexpected twists and turns that really kept me entertained throughout.

It also touched on themes of mental health, and how that can affect us including the wider reaches of how it can affect family's.  I really felt there with Bridget at times as the descriptions of how she was feeling were so detailed and true to life.

Really enjoyed and read in a couple of settings.
I received a copy of this e-arc thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books.

The copy I received had, what I assume to be, the editors notes written throughout it. It was interesting to read an arc that hasn’t had its final edit.

This seemed like a typical thriller; the main character witnesses something and decides to conduct their own investigation. This was the case until about 3/4 of the way through when the story took a whole different turn. Completely unexpected! It was a brilliant twist to the story, different to what you’d be expecting. It then started to clear up some details from earlier, which wouldn’t have been seen as suspicious as it was easily explained away. I didn’t think it a heart-pumping, gripping read but I found it very interesting and clever.
I was completely engrossed in this book that I read it in one day!

When a woman sees a kidnapping on a train station, she does all she can to find out what's happened to her.

But is it all it seems?

Very well written and even though I did guess what was going on, I still throughly enjoyed it

Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for ARC
This book started off slowly but developed into a very good read. I did guess some of the twists but that didn't spoil it at all. A very good 4* story
This book is brilliant. You totally experience and feel Bridget’s anxiety as a first time mum as she is trying to balance her life, being a new mum, depression and working life. Alongside this Bridget has become obsessed with the kidnapping of a young girl she saw being kidnapped from a train platform as no one will listen to her and take it seriously.  This is a really great and dark psychological thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat, sometimes hiding behind your hands, and at other times silently shouting warnings Bridget, it will definitely keep you hooked until the end.
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story is about Bridget. Bridget is happily married and has not long returned to work after giving birth to her daughter Grace. Her husband stays home to look after Grace. One night whilst coming home on the train Bridget witnesses a girl being kidnapped. The problem is that nobody else witnesses it and she has a hard time getting anybody to believe her.

I really enjoyed this book. I must admit at the beginning I just had no idea how the author was going to be able to make the story interesting. I need not have questioned it. This was a fast paced story with some twists and turns along the way. I managed quite early on in the book to figure out what was actually happening. This could have been a five star book but I felt towards the end a few things just didn’t make much sense.
What a good book – I really enjoyed it from start to finish.  It is about a lady called Bridget who is married to Tom and they have a young daughter called Grace.  Bridget’s upbringing left a lot to be desired, her mother being a complete control freak.  Tom is out of work but Bridget has a very good job in London which is a daily commute.  On a return journey home she is convinced she sees a kidnapping which she reports causing drama on the train as everyone is questioned.  She is seen by the police at home.  Everyone including her husband and mother decide she was seeing things and this did not happen but Bridget cannot let it go and starts her own investigation which causes a lot of trouble for her and her family.  Everyone decides she is suffering from postnatal depression and whatever she finds out or says they all ignore her.  Eventually everything spirals out of control.  The story moves along with Bridget and culminates is a story line which I did not expect which was surprising and a very good plot.  Really liked this  book
Great thriller. Could see where it was going but keeps you interested.
Worth a read.

Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.
It's no secret that 'mystery and thrillers' are my genres of choice and The Girl on the Platform didn't disappoint.

Although I guessed the twist fairly early on, I don't think it's super obvious and I enjoyed the suspense as I read on, waiting to see if I was right.

Thanks to Avon Books and Netgalley for a copy of the ARC in return for an honest review.
Great thriller! Some of the twists I could see coming but I am an avid thriller reader. But the book still got me hooked with the second half being much more gripping and fast paced.
This was a good addictive heart pounding read! Not going to lie I think the first few chapters were a struggle for me. I thought it was a little slow. But I pushed through and I'm happy I did. Because it got crazy after!
New mum Bridget has returned to work after having 8 month old Grace, whilst husband Tony stays at home looking after the baby. Late one evening, Bridget catches her train home from work only to witnesses something terrible as her train speeds through a station she notices a young girl standing on the platform is bundled into the back of a white van. Immediately Bridget asks her fellow commuters if they saw it and frantically she calls the police who meets the train at the next station. However, Bridget was the only witness and also no child has been reported missing, so she is written off as an attention seeker.  Bridget becomes somewhat obsessed with what she saw and is consumed with finding the little girl, but will trying to save one life cost her her marriage and own family?

WOW! WOW! WOW! This is the fastest book I have ever read in my life – in parts, my mouth went dry, my heart was hammering out of my chest, and I was rooted to the spot!!

Half way through the book the author leaves a heavy hint as to what is happening, which you may or may not get at time but if you do, don’t worry as you will then become completely invested in how it all pans out, and there are still endless twists and turns, and you won’t believe anyone is telling the truth! To me every character was a suspect at one point or another!!

I was exhausted and emotionally drained at the end, but I absolutely loved it – a brilliant read and I can just hope that Netflix have bought the rights, as it would make a wonderful six part drama.
Bridget is hurrying home as she does every weeknight. Home, to her husband Tom and their 7 month old daughter Grace. They are living in a small apartment in the commuter belt, and it takes Bridget a couple of hours every day to go to work and back. She does this because she has a very interesting and well-paid job, whereas Tom doesn’t. So, they decided that he would take care of Grace while trying to write a book, and Bridget would go back to the office.
But life isn’t easy. Tom is a very caring father and he takes care of the household nicely, but Bridget is nothing but exhausted every day. She still carries extra weight after her pregnancy, her breasts hurt all the time because she is still nursing Grace, and work demands long hours. Above all, she is very unhappy with herself. She is taking an anti-depressant because early after the birth of Grace, she suffered from postnatal depression.
So we meet this woman who is doing her utmost to try and make something out of this life that should be such a happy one. Even Bridget’s mum comes around often to help, even though she is already taking care of Grace one day a week, and although she and Tom are not always seeing eye to eye. Bridget’s mum is of the type ‘mum knows best’ and she, together with her sister Gillian, do everything they can to ‘help’ Bridget and Tom. With mixed success, because she doesn’t listen to Bridget and Tom and feeds Grace sugary snacks all the time.
As Bridget is almost asleep on the train, she suddenly awakes to see they are passing a small station and then Bridget sees, in a flash, how two grown man take a little girl with them. She was sitting on a suitcase and bundled inside a white van. Bridget panics, calls the authorities and the next few hours are filled with trying to explain to the police what happened. She comes home in the middle of the night and finally falls asleep, but then the nightmares begin.
The start of a very, very intense story. I had to stop reading several times to think about what I’ve just read. During the entire book we see how Bridget is suffering, we hear about her nightmares, her past, her feelings for Tom, the big secret she is carrying with her since childhood… It all comes together and it is all very harrowing, to say the least. Bridget is determined to find out why she was the only person seeing the kidnapping and so she goes on a mission on her own, armed with her skills in finding patterns in statistics. In doing this, she has to lie. Lie to Tom, lie to her mother, and lie to herself – till eventually the truth comes out in a very unexpected way.
This book doesn’t let you go. It stays with you for a long time. I’m impressed, very much impressed, with the way Bryony Pearce brings her characters to life.
I think it must be me - subconsciously requesting books where the primary character is female, in late 20s or 30s with psychological problems that deteriorate as the story progresses.
The Girl On The platform definitely fills this description and in fact more of the book is about Bridget's worsening actions than the actual story.
BUT .....  This is my problem with having read so many of these types of book and it should not put you off.  The story is excellent and is well told.  The book does not use the common approach of 1 chapter for each of 2 or 3 characters with switching timelines.  There are a few paragraphs ending most chapters in italics about a little girl held captive. There are some clever twists and turns and the ending is very good.
So for this genre it is a very good book that I am sure will be enjoyed by many, many readers
Gripping thriller! Could see the twist coming but still had me hooked. The second half of the novel is specially gripping
Warning - do not start this book if you do not have time to finish in a single sitting. Also, finishing it right before bed... maybe not the best idea either because WOW.
Serious 'Girl on the Train' and 'Gone Girl' vibes, but still uniquely captivating.

Bridget has a beautiful 9month old baby daughter, and a wonderfully supportive husband, but just because things seem perfect, doesn't mean that they are. Post Partum is very much real, and is very much a medical condition that needs to be attended to. So, Bridget does. She goes on meds and they help - they clear her mind and help calm her, going beyond what they were intended to do. They start to clear her mind of her past traumas that were repressed, erased.

She knows what she saw. She knows there was a girl on the platform wearing a school blazer sitting on an old-style suitcase. he knows she saw two men in dark clothing take the girl, who clearly did not want to go, and put her in a white van.

And she knows now that she has seen and reported the kidnapping, that she is being followed by an unmarked white van. But they already think she made it up, that it was a dream - so who would believe her if she said anything?

Unable to let it go, she goes and does what she does best - she looks at the data and what she uncovers is more than she bargained for (cannot wait for book2  - if there isn't already one in the works there should be!) but how much is she willing to risk to prove that she isn't crazy?