Cover Image: Hana Khan Carries On

Hana Khan Carries On

Hana Khan Carries On is Uzma Jalaluddin’s sophomore novel. Set in Toronto, this book is sweet, fun, and tackles the hard topic of racism. Jalaluddin also does a fabulous job of depicting the differences between many of the South Asian cultures.

In this You’ve Got Mail modern retelling, Hana Khan is a 24 year old Muslim women. As the child to immigrants, she’s was born and raised in Toronto and has dreams of being a radio host, not for the fame but to tell stories. Working on getting her career launched, she’s interning at a radio station and working in her family’s Indian-Canadian fusion restaurant. *Forewarned this book will make your mouth water. *

This is a cute story. It very much follows the tradition of a rom-com and has a few predictable outcomes. However, what really sets this story apart is the way Jalaluddin is able to both keep the story light while also tackling some harder topics, such as racism specifically towards the Muslim community. We see Hana exposed to multiple forms of racism. Some is simply blind hate but others come in the form of ‘well wishers’ trying to be inclusive but missing the key components. I really enjoyed the way Hana stuck to her morals throughout the story, and didn’t ‘sell out’ for lack of a better way to say that.

Jalaluddin, also does a wonderful job of conveying the difference between the South Asian cultures, and highlights that there are so many different cultures that make up the term ‘South Asian’. I don’t think this gets highlighted enough, and so I thoroughly enjoyed that portion of the story. I also think that food is something that can really bring cultures and people together, and I loved that Jalaluddin based the story around a restaurant.

This book is also a great reminder that all families, no matter where you come from, have secrets.

If you’re looking for an own voices romcom, look no future than Hana Khan Carries On. This book is out now and I can’t wait to see what’s next for Jalaluddin.

Hana Khan Carries On is out now.  Thank you to Berkley Books for my advanced copy for my honest review. If you liked this review please let me know either by commenting below or by visiting my instagram @speakingof_books.
Hana Khan is juggling her burgeoning media career with helping run her family’s halal restaurant ‘Three Sisters Biryani Poutine’. The bad news is that the restaurant is in serious financial trouble and the radio station she interns for is asking her to make content that challenges her morals. Add to that the pressure of the new trendy halal restaurant opening in competition down the road and her attraction to its young but ruthless owner and Hana is reeling. An unprovoked racially motivated attack then threatens everything that Hana holds dear.

I had no idea what to expect from this book and read it completely blind except for the blurb. I have to say, that I really enjoyed it. Who can fail to love a classic enemies to lovers tale combined with a bit of Pride and Prejudice character misunderstandings. The ‘will they won’t they’ element unfolded nicely and the other aspects of the story moved along at a good pace to keep me interested. However, the best part of this book for me was the cast of supporting characters. They were so diverse and plentiful that each character not only added to the storyline but also bought a totally necessary dynamic to the whole thing. This may sound like a typical romance story but the insight into the lives of an immigrant community and the wider issue of race and integration were handled beautifully with humanity and heart. At the end of the day, this was a tale about human love, fear, family and change, things we can all identify with.

After finishing Hana Khan Carries On, my new goal in life is to have a meet cute involving biryani. I am officially waiting for a cute brown man to heroically save my plate of biryani from falling 💁🏽‍♀️

Hana Khan aspires to tell stories on public radio and she hopes that her internship at the city radio station will eventually lead to a permanent job. In the meantime, Hana helps out her mother at their struggling family restaurant, Three Sisters Biryani Poutine, the only halal restaurant in the Golden Crescent neighbourhood. Hana also runs an anonymous podcast called "Ana's Brown Girl Rambles," where she develops an online friendship with her most avid listener. When a new upscale halal restaurant is about to open in the neighbourhood, Hana is faced with the possibility of Three Sisters Biryani Poutine closing down. And Hana is ready to do whatever it takes to help her family restaurant stay open, despite feeling an attraction to Aydin, the owner of the new rival restaurant.

There's a lot going on for Hana. She is navigating the perilous waters of public radio at her workplace, where she is subjected to various levels of microagressions from her coworker and her boss. We also get to witness the harmful impact of Islamophobia, xenophobia, and racism on Hana and her neighbourhood community. I'm not going to lie: these scenes were incredibly triggering and hard to read. Hana's experience at work, in particular, echoes a lot of my own personal experiences in the workplace. On top of all of that, Hana has to welcome and accommodate her aunt and her cousin during their surprise visit to Canada. And the cherry on top? A You've Got Mail rivalry romance set in two competing halal restaurants.

Reading Uzma Jalaluddin's books feels like coming home. I was thoroughly immersed in Hana's life and her loveable tight-knit community on Golden Crescent. Hana's journey of self-discovery and growth is the heart of this book. Yes, Hana is naive when it comes to accepting the fate of her family restaurant. Yes, some of Hana's actions are wrong and come across as immature. But that's kind of the whole point of the story. Hana grows and learns from her mistakes and strives to better herself through her words and actions. She makes amends and she finally comes out of her shell and stands up for her principles. Throughout that journey, Hana has the support of her friends, family, and neighbours, who altogether make up an incredible cast of supporting characters.

The romance between Aydin and Hana is sweet and full of pining and tension. Neither Aydin nor Hana is perfect, but they grow throughout the story and their attraction simmers with every confrontation. The ice cream shop scene now lives rent free in my head. And the banter? Oh, the banter was perfection! I was invested in their budding romance from the very beginning because of the banter. I was so into these two as a couple that I often found myself waiting for their next interaction. As much as I enjoyed Aydin and Hana, I would say that Kawkab Khala is hands down my favourite character in this book. And cousin Rashid made me laugh so hard at multiple points in the story. Hana's interaction with her friends, family, and neighbours makes her story a lot more enriching and exciting to read.

Ultimately, this is a story of growth, identity, and family ties and it is brought to life by the vibrant cast of characters. The neighbourhood drama, the family drama, the secret family histories — I loved everything. The sweet and pining romance is an added bonus that made my romance reader heart happy. Hana's passion for family histories, especially the secret ones, has motivated me to seek out stories of my own family. I want to find a way to preserve the stories my parents told me and I want to be more proactive in asking my family members about their story.

My only complaint about this book is the rushed ending. I wanted to spend more time with Aydin as he processed an important change in his life. I think the last chapter should have been longer for that very reason. Aydin's arc suffers a bit because this book is only told from Hana's POV. Aydin is a well-written character for sure, but his story needed to be fleshed out a bit more, especially toward the end. That being said, I think the podcast transcript worked really well as an epilogue of sorts. Honestly, I'm so attached to these characters and I wouldn't mind if the author decided to write a sequel. It's really hard to say goodbye to Hana, Aydin, Rashid, and Kawkab Khala 🥺
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate this cover? Another fantastic job by the team at Harper.

Jalaluddin has a gift for writing engaging dialogue. Her writing is clever, charming, and sprinkled with humour—at the launch for Hana Khan Carries On, Uzma mentioned how it is important to show that Muslims can be funny too.

This charming rom-com has a fascinating cast of characters. Our heroine, Hana, is feisty and impulsive. She's also tender yet witty with her sharp tongue. Some of Jalaluddin's best writing is the banter between Hana and Ayden.

Toronto was (again) the perfect setting and I enjoyed learning more about our tight-knit Muslim communities. Jalaluddin deftly guides the readers though the complex duality that her characters face; they are trying to honour their beliefs and culture without being conformed by the society they are trying to assimilate. Hana, Rashid, Yusuf, Ayden, and Zulfa are paving their own way separate from their family—their stumbles and growth are what makes for some incredible moments.
Congratulations, Uzma! I was utterly enchanted.
I adore retellings and this nod to The Littlest Shop on the Corner is simply lovely. I love the setting (Toronto), the cast in its entirety, and the rich culture.
Hana is living in a bubble full of love and support from her family. She's going through the paces and leaning into doing her due diligence as an intern to make it big in broadcasting. Unfortunately, life for Hana becomes more than little rocky when everything suddenly turns upside down and twists her safe cocoon into knots. Her biggest problem is the man who is out to put her mom's restaurant out of business with new - and shiny - competition.
Uzma's storytelling is entertaining and beautifully poignant. I love that she addresses cultural issues in a way that brings the hardships to light with an eye to coexisting peacefully without hiding - that anger or compromising one's self is not the solution.
I highly recomemend this novel and Uzma is now one of my auto-buy authors. I haven't yet read Ayesha at Last and I'm so excited to see what she did with her debut.
Thank you to Berkley and NetGalley for the advanced copy. All thoughts in this review are my own.
An exceptionally engaging romcom! Loved every minute I spent with Hana Khan! Hana is an aspiring radio broadcaster/podcaster. Her family owns a struggling Halalal restaurant that Hana is determined to save. The story is a modern multicultural version of You’ve Got Mail.

Hana was a smart, sweet, savvy, sometimes stubborn character. Aydin is opening a competing Halal restaurant in the same neighborhood as Hana‘s family restaurant. Hana and her lively cousin start plotting ways to sabotage the opening of Aydin’s restaurant.  Neanwhile Hana and Aydin start forming a friendship and fighting attraction. Aydin was a great guy and I loved how well his personality complemented Hana’s.My favorite characters however were probably the cousin and the aunt, they just added so much humor and whimsy to the story. There is also a serious part to the story that dealt with racism towards the Muslim community. I thought this was handled so well, it was so timely, and gave me things to think about. I think it is important that own voice Authors can use their platform to show how regular people deal with hatred on a daily basis simply based on the color of their skin or their religious beliefs. It is unfortunate however that this is still an issue in 2021.

If you are a fan of romcoms with fantastic storylines and filled with fabulous characters  then this is a can’t miss!

*** Big thank you to Berkley for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***
Hana Khan works at her mother’s restaurant, Three Sisters Biryani Poutine, in Toronto. She also has an unpaid internship at a Toronto radio station. But what she wants to do is tell her story on the radio. She hosts an anonymous podcast, where she has made a friend out of one of her listeners. Her mother’s restaurant is failing. With her pregnant sister no longer able to work there and a competing restaurant opening on the same street, Hana has to figure out how to save their restaurant. On top of that Hana has to deal with racist attacks and potentially falling for the owner of the rival restaurant. Hana has to learn to use her voice and follow her dreams.

This was a fabulous story set in my hometown, Toronto. Hana was part of a tight knit community in the east end of the city. All of the businesses had a strong relationship with each other, and they felt threatened when the rival restaurant was opening. There were some shocking twists at the end of the story that I didn’t expect. Hana’s family had some secrets that were hinted at throughout the story, but one secret that was revealed close to the end really surprised me. I love it when a story has a shocking reveal that I didn’t predict.

This story addressed anti-Islamic racism. There were multiple attacks, one personally against Hana and another on her community. Hana also had to deal with discrimination at her internship. These racist moments were so upsetting to read because they are things that happen in real life. This is a reality for many people in their daily lives, even in a diverse city like Toronto. I hope that one day stories that have racist events like this will be part of the past and no longer be relevant.

I really enjoyed this story!

Thank you HarperCollins Canada and Berkley Romance for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I can not express more on how I like stories with a woman as its lead character or protagonist. It is just it gives me a different perspective and vibe that I really enjoy imagining.
Hana Khan is working in a restaurant that her mother owns. It is named Three Sisters Biryani Poutine. Sales are bad even though they are just the only halal restaurant around. They are not quick to admit it themselves but blame it to others as a new joint is going to open near them. A restaurant that serves Halal Burger. Its owner is Aydin and his father. Aydin and Hana somewhat knew each other but both don’t know this. Hana`s dream revolves around her being in front of a mic telling stories. she is also an intern in their local radio station and if she really wants to land a job where she needs to outshine her co-intern but she doubts that and pours all of her energy and dreams into making a podcast. She has a great relationship with her listeners especially with the one whose alias is StanleyP at the same time she can`t help but admire Aydin but they are rivals on having their own restaurants. So Hana chooses to make rumors against Aydin`s new joint. Aydin has a pure heart and develops a liking for Hana. Eventually, Hana knew about how good Aydin`s intentions are and now questions her decisions and perspective about life.
All of these were told from Hana`s perspective but they were all vivid as if it was narrated by each character. I like how it is not just a romantic-comedy duo but it was also about life that will take us on a journey where we do not know. An up and down situation that you can only manage to do by trusting yourself and just being who you really are. This is a fun read. Characters were not just your typical ones they are smart, witty, and brave. A very promising book you can never go wrong recommending.
Dreaming of a career in radio broadcasting, Hana Kahn and a fellow intern compete for a permanent job at Radio Toronto while she devotes her creative energy to an anonymous podcast. At the same time, she works for her mother’s restaurant, Three Sisters Biryani Poutine, the only halal restaurant in the Golden Crescent neighborhood of Toronto.

When her pregnant sister, chef at the restaurant, is put on bed rest, Hana’s mother summons help from India, bringing her lively, well-meaning, but impetuous cousin, and her elegant and mysterious aunt to the neighborhood. The struggling restaurant needs assistance, especially since another halal restaurant, more modern, is opening nearby.

Unfortunately, Hana has a growing attraction to Aydin, the restaurant’s owner. Even worse, Hana is the target of a racially-motivated attack that goes viral. Not only does it bring unwanted attention to the neighborhood, Hana’s boss wants to exploit it for a story. Hana has to decide how to use her voice—to achieve her personal goals or to help the community—and if she can love the man who might put her mother’s restaurant out of business.

𝘏𝘢𝘯𝘢 𝘒𝘢𝘩𝘯 𝘊𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘖𝘯 by Uzma Jalaluddin is a great read. At first, I thought it was going to be a lighter romance but was pleased to see that it sensitively delved into topics of prejudice, both overt racism and microaggressions. I also loved the community and the relationships among the shopkeepers.

At times, Hana drove me crazy. To compete with the new restaurant, she did some things that were very unethical, and while she backed away a little, the damage was done. (I taught business ethics so am fairly humorless about her behavior.)

She also assumed she knew what was best for others without listening to them when they communicated clearly otherwise. I will give her credit for growing over the course of the novel!

Perfect for those wanting to read a romance that addresses social issues and that has a strong sense of place—and who love a serving of descriptive food in their novels!
As a POC living in in the suburbs around Toronto, I found this book extremely relatable. The romance is fairly minimal, and the true strength of this story are its characters, who are all well developed, unique and memorable. Even though I correctly predicted two of the big "twists" pretty early on, I didn't lose interest. Instead, I wanted to read faster to see how it would play out (and I wasn't disappointed). I'd recommend this book to anyone who may be curious -- it's not something I'd normally read, but I'm glad I did!

As a side-note, I'm slightly tempted to try biryani poutine...
Hana’s struggle between who she is as a young Muslim woman and who she wants to be a broadcaster who tells stories of her world from her own unique perspective is challenged by radio managers who are trying to tell her story for her. I loved how this part of the story was handled because it really told the struggle that she felt in a way that I a middle aged white woman could feel.

Hana’s love interest is the very handsome young owner of the competitive restaurant. I found it a little hard to identify with him at first but as his story moved forward I understood him more and grew to like him. However this book really revolves around Hana and this romance was not the most important part of the story. It did end up being kind of a sweet one though.

Hana was fascinating. She was the dutiful daughter, the strong independent woman, and a Muslim woman. With Aydin she showed a different character. First as antagonist, then as surly friend, then as young woman in love. There were so many aspects to this character I never got bored. In fact I sped through this novel. Her world was both beautiful and scary. How Hana reacted to all of these changes didn’t change the core person she was and that was the person I was most interested in reading about.

If you are trying to widen your world view pick up this novel. Also pick up this authors previous novel Ayesha at Last, which was also a very good story. Each separate story line in this novel could have stood on its own and together created a really well fleshed out character and novel. I enjoyed this one very much!

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley and the publishers for my honest review and it was honest.
Wow! I loved this one! Hana captured me from the first page and I never wanted to stop reading.

I loved learning about Hana, her family, and their lives. I really enjoyed the snapshots of her podcast and especially her interactions between her and Stanley P. I'd heard it was a modern You've Got Mail so I knew who Stanley P was, but I still loved every moment of this story.

My heart broke for Hana, Rashid, and Aydin when they encountered such racist treatment in the city, in their neighborhood and at the festival. I appreciate authors sharing with us how much work we have to do even if it's hard to read.

I loved the relationship that Aydin and Hana developed. Enemies to lovers is one of my favorite tropes and this as extremely well done.

I really enjoyed Rashid and Hana's aunt. They were great supporting characters and I'd love to learn more about them.

I can't wait to read more books by Uzma Jalaluddin!
Hana is twenty-four years old, and she wants to bring her vision of Muslim experiences to life in her own radio show. For now, she interns at a local radio station, and stokes the fuel for her dreams by podcasting in her off time, developing a rapport with her podcast audience. Beyond that, she helps out at her family's Indian-Canadian fusion restaurant, Three Sisters Biryani Poutine. Even though it's the only halal restaurant in the area, business is slow, and unless it picks up, life could get complicated for Hana's family. To make matters worse, a fancy halal restaurant may soon open up nearby, which could spell death for the smaller, family-run restaurant. Despite the need to compete with this new threat, Hana finds herself drawn to Aydin, who is part of the competition. Mixed in with Hana's hopes, goals, and personal challenges are hateful attacks on the local Muslim community, and family secrets that threaten family cohesion at its most critical moments. Hana's choice is how and where to use her voice to help her family, her community, and herself, to carry on.

I knew I had to read this one, not only because of the interesting fusion restaurant idea, but also because I loved this author's previous book, Ayesha At Last. This book  reminds me of one of my favorite movies, You've Got Mail! Hana is a busy young woman, juggling helping her family with interning for the real job she wants, and moonlighting for extra practice with her podcast. She's ambitious, and I like that about her. Her family that comes to help all the way from India are both fun and interesting characters. I especially liked Rashid, who works with Hana to combat the new upscale halal restaurant threat. Hana's podcasts were full of great humor and wonderful insightful moments, and I liked how they were also relevant to the events unfolding within the rest of the story. Hana Khan Carries On is the story of a young woman dealing with family trouble, trying to chase her dreams, and finding perhaps a little bit more along the way. Recommended for anybody who likes You've Got Mail (or other movies like it), wants to know more about Indian-Canadian fusion cuisine, or is interested in what it might be like to be a young Indian Muslim woman living in Canada. Carry on!
Hana Khan Carries On is a modern day “You’ve Got Mail” with a podcast, halal restaurants, and Indian culture. This story grabbed my attention from the first page. Hana runs an anonymous podcast. Her first follower has become her friend but they don’t know each other’s true identities. Hana’s family owns the only halal restaurant in town until another halal restaurant opens across the street. Hana will do anything to save her family’s restaurant even though her true passion is with her podcast and radio internship. Aydin is the new restaurant owner’s son who is pushing Aydin to be a ruthless business owner. Aydin develops a friendship with Hana’s cousin and tries to be friends with Hana. I loved the perspective of the Indian Canadian culture in the novel. Family secrets are revealed and Hana must find her voice and figure out what she wants to do. Some parts of the story were hard to read because of the hate toward Indians, but it is an important perspective to hear. Hana Khan Carries On is an interesting and impactful story of rival restaurant owners.

Thank you Berkley Romance for Hana Khan Carries On.
Oooo I loved this one so much! Will be including it in my April recommended reads newsletter. I loved that family played such a big part in the story. Also I got major 'You've Got Mail' vibes and loved it! I thought it was a solid effort to include a look at diversity and discrimination/racism in various ways and found it particularly interesting how different characters had different reactions, definitely realistic as we all don't respond in the same way. Overall, I loved this book and can't wait to read more from Uzma!
Thank you to Berkley Romance for a gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

First of all, let's talk about a gorgeous cover! I loved the cover of Jalaluddin's last book Ayesha At Last and this one is even more beautiful! Besides an amazing cover, this book was so relatable to my own immigrant story. I don't often highlight/tab fiction novels but so many of this book's messages spoke to me so I had to mark them for future reference. There's romance in this novel but it wasn't the focus and that was totally okay by me. Instead, it focused on racism, microaggression, Islamaphobia, and hate crimes.

What I loved:
- The fun dialogue between Hana and her mysterious internet friend.
- The use of a podcast and transcript to ask the reader to dig deeper and consider the author's message. I thought that was clever
- Well developed side characters that contributed different perspectives. Cousin Rashid is hilarious!

What I didn't love:
- The way Hana handled her conflicts - it was a bit immature for my taste.

If you enjoyed Tweet Cute, I think you would like this one.
This was such a good read! I really enjoyed the storyline of this one. I loved Hana Khan's character and quickly fell in love with her. The supporting characters in this one were all great! There were characters to love and characters to hate, which always makes for a good read! I appreciated the family drama aspect of this one and absolutely loved learning new things about the culture and religion. This one definitely made me hungry while reading, so maybe have a snack close by while reading this one! Overall this was a solid, enjoyable read and gets 4 stars!
I think it's quite safe to say I will read anything Uzma Jalaluddin writes now because I adored Ayesha at Last and Hana Khan Carries On definitely did not disappoint. The romance is adorable, sure, and everything I wanted from the book, but as with Ayesha at Last, I really appreciated how this book was about racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and microaggressions while also balancing quality enemies-to-lovers banter and swoon-worthy content.

The characters were each so well-written and they were tangibly authentic and easy to relate to. Hana's persistence in fighting for what is right and flawed decision-making was something I personally identified with. I also loved Aydin and Kawkab Khala so much because the former is everything I want from a love interest and the latter is quite simply legendary!

Also, wow, this book not only made me feel all the feels, it also made me feel super hungry, and that is the best compliment I can give any food-related books because I am not very adventurous with food and I was basically ready to try everything that was described here.
Have you ever read a book that made you crave a particular cuisine so much?? That’s Hana Khan Carries On by Uzma Jalaluddin for me!!! I spent days craving for Indian food after I finished reading it so I finally gave in, hence the picture!

Hana is a brown Muslim girl and a second-generation immigrant living in Toronto. She’s currently an intern at a radio station hoping to get hired full time while also working as part-time waitress at Three Sisters Biryani Poutine, her family’s halal restaurant. Her dream is to tell her own stories, so while waiting for it to come true, she pours her throughts into her podcasts. She develops a relationship with one of her listeners, who became her no. 1 support system especially as a rival restaurant is set to open in their street, threatening to close down Three Sisters. It doesn’t help that the owner, Aydin, is a gorgeous hunk. Will Hana be able to save Three Sisters and fulfill her dreams of being heard?

What I love:
🧕🏽This book has my favorite romantic trope: enemies to lovers! I just love the angst and witty banters between Hana and Aydin!!!
🧕🏽I also love the DMs between Ana and StanlyP! Their sense of humor is so spot on!
🧕🏽Reading this made me crave Indian food! Biryani + Poutine? Bring it on!
🧕🏽There’s so much heart in the story. The family dynamics of the Khan family and the close knit community of Golden Crescent are so heartwarming. I really love how they rallied and supported one other, especially upon the threat of gentrification.
🧕🏽The issue of racial discrimination was written with sensitivity but also didn’t shy away from the truth. The author showed us the different ways people would handle the situation in real life.
🧕🏽The character development of Hana from somebody searching for her identity into a self-assured woman who  isn’t afraid to stand up for her beliefs is interesting to witness.
🧕🏽Cousin Rashid’s so hilarious! He provided the comic relief in the book. His thought were actually very insightful.

What I didn’t love:
🧕🏽Honesly? Nothing.

Another 5/5 book!!!! Thanks to @berkleypub @netgalley and the author for providing me an eARC of this book. All opinions are mine.
Thank you, #NetGalley @BerkleyPub #BerkleyWritesStrongWomen #BerkleyBuddyReads for a complimentary e ARC of #HanaKhanCarriesOn upon my request. All opinions are my own.

Hana Khan is an energetic, hard-working, and loyal young adult living with her family in a suburb of Toronto,  Canada. She has a big dream to make it in broadcasting. Hana takes on a lot of responsibility by working part-time in her family’s struggling halal restaurant, holds down an internship in a local radio station where she has conflicting views about cultural content with her boss, and produces her own podcast (anonymously). She strikes up a virtual friendship with one of her listeners and they both use fake names. This virtual friendship becomes one of her main sources of support. Meanwhile, her family’s small restaurant is struggling to survive financially. It doesn’t help when a new corporate halal restaurant is planning to open just down the street. Will her family’s restaurant be able to withstand the competition? Will Hana be able to come up with strategies to face the competition and help her family with everything else she has going on? Will Hana ever be on friendly terms with the restaurant’s new (and attractive) owner? How will Hana use her voice?

I love stories from other cultures and I appreciate this story from a perspective that’s not my own as it increases my awareness of cultural traditions, stereotypes, Islamaphobia, microaggressions, and hate crimes.

You will see this engaging book promoted as a rom-com inspired by You’ve Got Mail. I also think the story has definite Tweet Cute vibes. However, it’s so much more than a rom-com. There’s a lot going on in this story as the author addresses some serious, compelling, and relevant issues.

Our main character Hana is mostly likable, but she’s also impulsive and immature in the way she handles some of the conflicts. One of her actions could be considered mean and borders on revenge instead of healthy competition. The redeeming factor is that she changes and matures throughout the story. The supporting characters are engaging and unique personalities that add to the enjoyment and complexity of the story.

Thoughtful themes in Hana Khan include family loyalty and support, devotion, obligations, and expectations; finding your voice and direction in life; dealing with and speaking up against prejudice and microaggressions; handling hate crimes; as well as intolerance, the spirit of competition, accepting change, friendship, family secrets, betrayal, telling your story, and romance. Lots of substance packed into this story!

Recommended: Written with warmth and humor, Hana Khan Carries On is recommended for fans of retellings (You’ve Got Mail) and enemies to lovers romance, for readers looking for more diverse reads, for those who love complicated family drama and thoughtful themes, and for book clubs (great discussion possibilities).