Cover Image: The Jade Tiger

The Jade Tiger

I enjoyed the twists and turn of this book. The Jade Tiger is a story of the dark edges of society — jealousy, murder and crime — as well as the best parts of society — love, friendship and entertainment. I enjoyed Penelope and Thom and their love story. I hope they get a better chance for happiness. The mystery was good and the villains were despicable. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher.
I felt in the dark from the outset of the book. There are multiple backstories referred to throughout, with tidbits of information dropped here and there regarding the main characters. And while it is all revealed in the end, it was quite distracting. Why did Penelope turn away from here career in opera? How did she and her entire family end up in Shanghai? It was as if this were the second, not the first,

That being said, I still enjoyed the characters and the complex relationships. The author also did very well in giving the reader a good sense of the era—Prohibition, speakeasies, gangsters, etc., and weaving it all into what was really quite a complex mystery.
I do hope that there will be more in this series in the future.

Source - Review copy (Dog Press via NetGalley
<i>*I received an eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*</i>

Penelope Harris, opera singer and former casino owner, has come back to NYC to escape the questions being asked following the murder of her husband in Shanghai in this quick historical mystery.

I thought this was entertaining and well paced. I liked the almost dual-mystery aspect as we are trying to figure out what exactly happened to Penelope's husband before the story's start, as well as solve the murder of Penelope's blackmailer/rival in the present day. Personally, I was more invested in the husband's murder as I figured out the "present day" case fairly quickly.

I thought the characters were over the top, but in a way that fit well with the story. Initially, when I realized the cast was all white, I was a little hesitant to continue as a large portion of the story relates to the characters' time spent in China; however, I think the author did a good job conveying the Western worldview of "the Orient" in the 1920s as an "exotic" place where they can pretty much do what they want with no consequences.

The story had a <i>Gatsby</i>/Roaring Twenties/soap opera vibe crossed with the plot of a fast-moving 1940s noir pocket mystery, and overall I was quite entertained.
The first Penelope Harris Mystery is a delightful throwback in time to the Forbidden Hollywood pre-code era movies of the late 20s early 30s America when inhibitions were easily thrown to the wind and bad behaviors were genderless. A delicious  Prohibition Era merry-go-round redolent with the scents of unbridled sexual passion, financial greed, venomous jealousies and murderous grudges, a compelling whodunit blessed with a cast of unforgettable characters and mouthwatering dialogues. Don't expect me to spill the beans and talk about the plot because you guys need to hurry and get onboard this sleek and utterly compelling fictional journey full of gutsy and sexy dames, brainless thugs, double crossing chippies and slicked-back hair and tuxedo wearing bucks. An action packed and thrilling ride reminiscent of the best Mae West, George Raft and Barbara Stanwyck performances just to name a few......A fabulous new series that should be enjoyed without any moderation!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Ink Dog for the ARC.
This book was so fun! I love the premise of a historical mystery. I appreciated Penelope’s strong female presence and I was absolutely surprised by the ending! This was definitely very reminiscent of Agatha Christie and I’m looking forward to more!
4 stars

Greed, revenge, & scandal all collide against the backdrop of jazz age NYC, with many of the story’s players running from sordid expat lives in Shanghai. This murder mystery was fun, despite having its share of tragedy & despair bubbling close to the surface. It packs quite a punch for 200 pages.

[What I liked:]

•There are some great scenes, with such heightened drama that never becomes melodramatic (like the opera scene, & the warehouse scene). The prose is simple where it needs to be, but has flourishes of humor & vivid descriptions along the way.

•Thom is a great MC. I felt for him, then wondered about him, but was always intrigued by him. James & Charles & Gott & Penny’s mum were also great side characters, keeping things spicy & funny.

•Wow, the story packed so much emotion & doubt & suspense & deep dark secrets into one book—but fortunately I never felt derailed or lost by the plot. Things all fit together.

[What I didn’t like as much:]

•Something about the police detectives’ role felt awkward. Halfway through they suddenly show up, nearly becoming MC’s themselves, with lots of backstory & drama & narration from their POVs’. I think it would have felt more balanced if they either showed up sooner, or weren’t quite so prominent in the later parts.

•Renee’s character felt a bit flat. I get it, she’s evil, but that’s all we really see of her. Pretty one dimensional.

CW: murder, domestic violence, police brutality

[I received an ARC ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Thank you for the book!]
I loved this book! The Jade Tiger is a gripping mystery - not just because of the murder that takes place in New York City during the story, there is also so much mystery surrounding several key players connected past in Singapore. Penelope Harris and Thom Lund are such interesting characters with many layers to be explored, both individually and as a couple. The plot is very well done! Thank you to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read #TheJadeTiger.
This was a little like reading a book that was written to become an episode in a television series, At the opening, I felt I had been dropped into the middle of the story, with questions about all the references to Shanghai and what had happened there. Penelope, the main character, has an entire story of singing, gambling club ownership, a bad marriage, and a love affair that are referred to throughout the book, but in bits and pieces that don't really provide a clear enough picture to feel like this book should be read without having first read  a book leading up to this one. Unfortunately, there isn't one, so the sense of having joined the story late never really recedes.

There are some interesting characters, particularly the former detective sergeant who is now a patrolman. I would have liked to read more with him as the focus, and with some respect for him. The corruption of the police was an unpleasant note, for me. I also liked Eleanor, Penelope's mother, and would like to read more with her dispensing wisdom and calm.

The premise of bad relationships between Penelope and the victim, Renee, almost went over the line of fiction into caricature writing. It was slightly difficult to completely buy into the book's main premise. The basic plot was a good one; but I would have liked it better if it hadn't worked so hard to look like a hard boiled novel filled with all the negatives of the prohibition era, i.e. speakeasies, corrupt police, glittering wealthy vs. poverty others, etc. My thanks to Ink Dog Press and NetGalley for providing me with a electronic copy for review.
A quick who-done-it with many characters.  The Jade Tiger is the first in the Penelope Harris Mysteries.  The story begins in high society New York City in 1928 after recently relocating from Shanghai Penelope is trying to start her life over.  But, can she, after  her worthless husband is murdered and her father’s death?  No spoilers here.

Thank you #NetGalley, #InkDogPress and #E.W.Cooper for the advance readers copy for my honest review.
It took me a bit to get "into" this book, but I found the story to be engaging.  I liked the characters and it gave me a little more insight into a culture I'm not that familiar with.  Thank you for the chance to read it.
The Jade Tiger is a mystery story where the main character, Penelope Harris, is trying to start her life over again; Penelope was a former opera singer who owned the Jade Tiger in Shanghai and came to New York to start her life over again after her husband was murdered.  Her father was gone and she returned to the city to be with her mother and start her life over again.

Penelope quickly encounters a cast of characters, including a competing singer who is a blackmailer - who is murdered - at a party, and Penelope’s love interest, Thom Lund, is accused of the murder.

And so we have the stage set for a very enjoyable murder mystery. a number of possibilities quickly present themselves: Is it Penelope’s mother, her cousin or was it Thom? You have to read the book for yourself to see how this mystery plays out.

What is as enjoyable as the murder mystery in and of itself, is the portrayal of New York City in the late 1920s where we have a great picture of prohibition, the wealthy - of which Penelope's family is part of, and the bootleggers.

While I found the going slow at first my litmus test is if we can get engaged with the characters and the plot by 30% through the book, then I am doing well. I found the Jade tiger met this test - I really enjoyed the book on two parts: I love a good mystery and secondly, the historical portrayal of the late twenties.

I was a little disappointed to see this labeled as book 1 of 1, hoping to see that this might have been book one of what is a longer series involving the central figures of Penelope and Thom (NB: Today I checked and I see this is Book 1 of 2!).

l want to thank Ink Dog Press and NetGalley for a copy of this book. I am voluntarily leaving this review.
This book was well-written and very entertaining. I love that it is part of a series because that means there will be more to read with these characters!
A mystery thriller set in 1928. Fast paced with plenty of suspects. Our novel focuses on Penelope Harris who has returned to New York after living in Shanghai. Suddenly her past starts to catch up to her and before she knows it, herself and her loved ones are suspects.
Some parts I did find a bit choppy with some of the dialogue and sentences written as there were quite a few points where someone would say something and repeat themselves which did not further the plot line. As well as some parts that were over described.
It was an interesting view point from the 1920’s where it covers the impact of the tabloids, the alcohol prohibition as well as the law enforcement of that time.
It was a good read though I am unsure if I would be rushing out to buy a second in the series.
Thank you to #NetGallery for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
A feel good, old-fashioned murder mystery that had me racing through the pages in anticipation and in nostalgia. The 1930 USA is a delight to read about. Loved the writing and the pace which keeps the readers completely hooked. The suspense is held well till the end. I can’t wait to read more from the series now!
Loved getting to know what happens to Penelope, Renee, and Lund in this book. It was engaging up until the end of the book. Kept me reading on and wanting to know more of who had really done it and why? Would definitely re-read again!
I knew from the blurb that I was going to enjoy The Jade Tiger by E.W. Cooper. 1928, the roaring twenties, New York, jazz clubs, Shanghai casinos, mystery, blackmail, deceit and murder. What’s not to like?

The story follows Penelope, a former Opera singer and casino owner, recently arrived in NYC after the death of her husband in Shanghai and the scandal that followed. When her blackmailer - the treacherous Renee is murdered and Penelope’s old flame, Thom is accused of the crime she must run against time to prove his innocence and capture the real murderer.

The Jade Tiger was a fun, whodunit romp of a read with enjoyable characters and a great atmospheric feel. Hoping this is just the first installment. Looking forward to Penelope’s next adventure.

Thank you NetGalley for this ebook copy.
I received a copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review
This was not what I thought it was going to be at all. The mystery of it was very lacking for me and I felt like it didn't stick to one certain theme within the mystery genre which created the lackluster appeal.
This was an intriguing mystery for me.  The writing is very atmospheric of 1928 New York and I appreciate the research that went into the crafting of the plot. There are elements of mystery, romance, and murder. It is fast paced and entertaining. I’m looking forward to reading more about Penelope.
Many thanks to Ink Dog Press and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Excellent book! This book kept me reading and I was intrigued by all the layers of the story as they unfolded and came together to a very intense ending. I really like the characters! The author's storytelling is engrossing, interesting and keeps you wondering.
When Penelope ran away to marry Kincaid little did she know how much her privileged life would change.  Her life in Shanghai was thought to be adventurous with her loving husband but she had no idea the trouble and women he would be involved with.
After his tragic death Penelope returns to New York hoping for peace but she is confronted by her nemesis Renee.
This book will keep you intrigued and wanting to the end.