Cover Image: Call Me Elizabeth Lark

Call Me Elizabeth Lark

This book was the perfect escape. It was lovely and fun. It was my first book by this author and I will definitely be on the look out for more!!
Elizabeth Lark is on the run from an abusive husband. The Innkeeper where she is hiding is sure that Elizabeth is her missing daughter from 20 years back. Elizabeth's life is a mess, is she going to fix it or make it worse?
Thank you Netgalley for this read.
I was hooked from the first page! The author's use of words is just wonderful. I got more and more invested the more I read. The building tension, the twists and turns, it is such an exciting read!

The narration is so great, with three different characters. Each one with a fascinating back story. The author handles the intricacies of personality so well: a mother who lost her daughter many years ago, then a sister who is suffering, then a woman fleeing her abusive husband with her young child.
Such deep feelings, so much there to empathize with.

The setting at an inn on the Oregon Coast is perfect for this story. The setting is gorgeous and the author really places you there with the characters. The descriptions are so spot on, you really feel as if you are right there with the characters.

This is such a satisfying read because it has the right balance of letting the reader rightfully guess some of the twists, but also shocks the reader with some very unexpected turns! I was floored! I just loved the surprise twists! It was magnificent!

I really loved this book. It was a deeply enjoyable read and I was totally immersed in the world the author created. I highly recommend this book and it completely deserves all the stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest opinions.
Imagine that your young daughter disappears one night. You’ve spent years trying to come to terms with her being missing, and have convinced yourself you’ve spotted her on more than one occasion...only to be wrong in the end. 20 years later, your missing daughter walks into the inn you own.

That’s what happens to Myra Barkley. She watches as her missing daughter, Charlotte, comes in through the door.

Only, it’s not Charlotte. The woman’s name is Elizabeth Lark. She is with her son, Theo, and they are escaping her violent husband who has held her captive for years.

Elizabeth goes with it, in the interest of keeping her son safe and giving him a warm place to stay. However, danger is still present...because the culprit involved in Charlotte’s disappearance is unknown, and someone knows Elizabeth isn’t who Myra thinks she is.

Intriguing premise. I enjoyed it enough through the first half, but it wasn’t gripping me in the intense ways I’ve come to expect in thrillers. The last section becomes convoluted, and I found myself feeling less engaged as one OTT scenario occurred on top of another. I’m also not a fan of what I consider bad dialogue, and I found some of that here.

There are some promising parts throughout, and while I can’t say I’d recommend this one, I would be interested in seeing what debut author Melissa Colasanti comes out with in the future.

2.5 stars.

This was a fun buddy read with Jayme. We enjoyed putting on our detective hats and discussing our theories...many of which we got right! We’ll be on the hunt for our next case, but check out her fantastic review in the meantime.

This review is also posted at: https://bonkersforthebooks.wordpress.com

Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
#CallMeElizabethLark #NetGalley

Special thanks to NetGalley and Crooked lane Books for providing me with ARC.

This book is so boring and the most worse reading i ever had. I am very disappointed
2.5 ⭐️

Myra and Herb Barkley are still running the Barkley Inn, twenty years after their daughter Charlotte disappeared from the Rocky Beach across from the B and B, which is situated on the rainy, Oregon Coast.

The Police think the eight year old, drowned, when her older sister Gwen, who was baby sitting, lost track of her, but Myra has always believed that Charlotte was abducted and would return home one day, so she keeps Vigil from the front desk.

And, then it happens.
 Elizabeth Lark arrives with her young son, and they are clearly “on the run”.
She has Charlotte’s distinctive eyes, and is wearing one half of a coin necklace with the initials CB.
Myra is convinced this young woman is her daughter, despite the fact that she has been wrong before.

Elizabeth knows she isn’t the Barkley’s daughter.
But, perhaps she can find safety if she pretends to be.

The book starts out well, and although we know from the beginning that Elizabeth is not Charlotte, we have the mysteries of who Elizabeth really is AND what really happened to Charlotte, to solve, so Michael David, and I, put on our 🕵🏻🕵🏼‍♂️ Detective caps for another buddy read.

The story alternates between the perspectives of Myra, Gwen and Elizabeth as each woman tries to make sense of Elizabeth’s arrival into their lives, and this half of the book held my interest although the reactions of Herb and son Jimi should’ve been explored in more detail.

Unfortunately though, the second half fell apart.

We Figured out MOST of what was to come.
Until it became so IMPLAUSIBLE that you couldn’t POSSIBLY figure out the rest.

The motives for the things that Elizabeth had to endure, I could not “buy into” at all.
And, the rest, including Charlotte’s fate is TOLD rather than SHOWN, by the “guilty party” in the last 20%.

For these reasons, this is not a book that I will be recommending.

Be sure to check out Michael David’s review as well.
They are always amazing!

Thank you to the Publisher for my gifted copy.
It was my pleasure to provide a candid review!

Available March 9, 2021
Charlotte disappears as a young child while in the care of her big sister.  The Mom never gives up hope that Charlotte will reappear.  This book spent a lot time developing the characters but the only likable character (in my opinion) is Elizabeth's 5 year old son Theo.  I never mind long books but this had alot of unnecessary fluff for lack of a better word.  I could feel the paranoia from the older sister coming out of the book so the author can write.  This book just missed the mark for me.
Probably one of the worst written, worst executed books I have ever read.  Nonsensical plot, characters too crazy to be believed, and dialogue that goes on and on and on.......   Pass on this one.
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of CALL ME ELIZABETH LARK by Melissa Colasanti in exchange for my honest review.***

3.5 STARS

Eight-year-old Charlotte disappears while in the custody of older sister Gwen. Twenty years later, their mother Myrna is certain Charlotte has returned  when Elizabeth Lark walks into her B&B fleeing from her abusive husband.

Oh what a tangled web Melissa Colasanti has woven in her debut novel. CALL ME ELIZABETH LARK is full of twists and turns, secrets and lies and the learning the truth might prove deadly for one or more of the women Elizabeth, Gwen and Myrna or their loved ones.

I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, but I will say this isn’t a resolution readers will guess before reading. Told from the third person points of view of the three women, I never latched on to any of the narrator’s or felt immersed in her point of view though the plot interested me very much. As a mystery, I wondered what happened next but never really thought, “I hope nothing happens to” this one or that one. When I finished, I didn’t wand to immediately reread to see what clues I missed, although I did enjoy the story.

CALL ME ELIZABETH LARK is a mystery that will keep readers guessing.
After 20 years, Myra Barkley is sure that the woman who just walked into their inn is he missing daughter Charlotte.  Going buy the name of Elizabeth Lark with an eight year old son in tow, Elizabeth has escaped an abusive husband after killing him and fleeing  the cabin in the woods in which she has been held captive.  Elizabeth is not Charlotte, but she cannot bear to break Myra’s heart.  She also has a mystery of her own she is trying to solve..  Her presence is a danger to the Barkley family.  Someone is out there stalking and terrorizing  them..  Someone who doe not want the truth to be known.
Call Me Elizabeth Lark is a compelling suspense novel with twists that you don't see coming.  The writing is beautifully descriptive and brings you to the rugged Oregon coast in which the story is set.
There was just too much going on in this book, and the ending was a little too over-the-top unbelievable for me. None of the female characters were all that likable; the strongest and most resilient character was Theo, a five year old.  This book had a lot of potential, but fell flat with all the erroneous plot points and craziness.
This had a bit of a slow start, but not enough to make me stop reading.    What I found fascinating was how the mystery was structured.  The big question was answered early on - or so you thought.  The story added layers and layers of mystery.  I really enjoyed this book.

I want to thank the publisher, the author and #netgalley for an advance copy of this book, which did not impact my review.
I enjoyed reading this book. I thought telling the story from different points of view helped move the story along and kept the tension as everyone's secrets were revealed.
When I started reading this one, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it.  It was kind of a slow build up of secrets and lies and I’m more of a things-go-boom reader.

But, before I knew it, I was completely entrenched in our little family full of big secrets.

The reveal is…unexpected.  But it’s a good one and it definitely surprised me.  In fact, the book surprised me in all sorts of really good ways.

Definitely a recommended read for those who love suspense and family drama!

*ARC Provided via Net Galley
this was a really unique mystery read, I liked the story and thought it was a scary concept. I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to more from the author.
From the synopsis alone I knew I would love this. It has intrigue, complex characters, and drama. The writing style was great and the way the author writes the characters makes you feel for them. I recommend going in not knowing anything about this novel because it will blow you away. Can't wait to see what the author comes out with next.
Experience Elizabeth's whirlwind, from prisoner of her own house to.... This is a fantastic read for any of you wanting a novel full of emotion and suspense.
Ooo y'all I was so so excited to read this book and it literally only took my three days to read! Excellent writing and the plot was fantastic... it sucked me in straight away and I could not let go. Go and read it now!
Trigger warning for this novel: Domestic violence, mental illness
Thanks to Crooked lane and Netgalley for an ARC of this novel. This novel keeps you the edge and is filled with suspense. There are so many different layers that till the last chapter you keep guessing. Definitely recommend. 4 stars
Oh my. I love the cover of this book, seems almost glamorous. The book is not. It’s in the snow, the mountains. I would’ve given this book a 3 but it has a great ending. The first three quarters seems almost disjointed but if you hang in, it begins to make sense. This is not a favorite of mine but it’s a fair read with a stunning end. And there is ample mystery & terror.