Cover Image: The Soulmate Equation

The Soulmate Equation

If you're a big fan of The One on Netflix, you'll love the Soulmate Equation, which is a (less dark, more cute) spin on the DNA matching story!
The Soulmate Equation was everything I love in a book. It had some romance, some really interesting sci-fi elements, strong female characters, and great pacing.

If there was a Soulmate equation for reading this book would be a high match for me!

Christina Lauren writes stories that never leave me disappointed and The Soulmate Equation is no exception.

Thank you Gallery Books and #NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
This was just not for me. I didn’t finish. It was t horrible, but I just didn’t care about the relationship.
Single mom Jess Davis is a data and statistics wizard, but no amount of number crunching can convince her to step back into the dating world. Jess has been left behind too often to feel comfortable letting anyone in. But then Jess hears about GeneticAlly, a buzzy new DNA-based matchmaking company that's predicted to change dating forever. When her test results show an unheard-of 98% compatibility with the one person she never would have guessed. But GeneticAlly has a proposition: Get to know him and we'll pay you. Jess is in no position to turn it down, despite her skepticism about the project and her dislike for her match. As the pair are dragged from one event to the next as the "Diamond" pairing that could make GeneticAlly a mint in stock prices, Jess begins to realize that there might be more to the scientist--and the science behind a soulmate--than she thought. review: The past few books by Christina Lauren have been very hit or miss for me. Some I find myself devouring, while others I feel like they've lost their touch. Luckily, The Soulmate Equation was a hit for me. I found the storyline to be really engaging - it was the perfect mix of romance and science. I enjoyed learning a bit more about DNA and the science of matching while reading this book. As for the characters, they were so endearing and I found myself rooting for them the whole time! I love a good enemies to lovers trope and this perfectly fits the bill. I also loved Jess' BFF Fizzy - she's the kind of friend everyone needs in their life! If you're looking for a good romance with a bit of substance, add this one to your list. rating: 4 out of 5 ⭐️
Obviously as a high school teacher, this book is outside the scope of what I would have students read, however, I would definitely recommend it to the more mature readers because it is just great. It was so fast paced and so cute and I absolutely loved the more complex secondary storyline about the alcoholic mother and the family conflict. Basically, this book was everything you want out of a romance: sweet, sincere, steamy, but also rich and vivid with well-developed characters.
The Soulmate Equation. I was granted an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Initially, I was interested in this book because I kept seeing it promoted on social media. It took me longer than I anticipated to finish. It started really interesting but somewhere in the beginning it slowed down heavily. I will say around the 60% mark is when I could not stop reading. I loved the concept of finding your soulmate based on genetics. I also loved that the main heroine was a single mother trying to make ends meet. There were plenty moments that were totally swoon worthy. The two characters, Jessica and River were totally destined. They went from not liking each other to being totally in love. Jess had a pretty strong alpha personality and I was worried that it would turn River off. River surprised me- he too was very dominant but he let his guard down and went out of his way to cater to Jess and her family.
This was not my favorite Christina Lauren book but it was still a decent read. The DNA premise is very interesting and the love story was OK. The chemistry between the two characters wasn't written well enough that I could not wait until they got together. Decent read but Christina Lauren has better books.
I really enjoy Christina Lauren's stories and generally really like their characters, unfortunately, this one fell a little flat for me.

The concept of the story was really interesting and I was really looking forward to reading it, but I couldn't fall into the romance the way I would have liked.

As always, I liked the plot and the writing but I wanted a little more from Jess and River. I wanted the passion, the angst, the build-up, and the drama of it all. I am not sure it gave me what I was looking for at the time.

That being said, I still did read the entire story in one day so what the heck do I know.
What goes into the process of attraction? What is the best way to find one’s person? Is it chance? Tindr? Or… could there be another way? These questions are delightfully explored in The Soulmate Equation.

The Equation of the title is created through DNA matches. Who knows? Maybe as good as any other way to find a partner with its sense of scientific process and method? The creators certainly espouse that it is the best way.

In any event, protagonist Jess is the single mom of adorable seven-year-old Juno. Jess works with numbers and facts and is too busy (and hesitant) to date. When her friend Fizzy, a romance author, encourages her to look at a company called GeneticAlly, Jess reluctantly goes along.

Meanwhile, the man that Jess and Fizzy call Americano always appears at the same cafe as they do. Watch what happens as it turns out that he works at GeneticAlly. Will there be a romance? Sure. Will it work out? Are there surprises ahead? Read to find out.

At times this title was funny enough for a laugh aloud or a smile. The characters are engaging and this novel is a nice take on a romcom. Old and new fans of the author should enjoy this one.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this title. All opinions are my own.
This book was super cute! CL did it again! This duo blows it out of the water every time! For all you romantic science nerds… here you go!!! One of my favorites of the year, cover included!!!!
When I think about romance, I’m happy that Christina Lauren can write them and write them well.

This time, this pair has succeeded again in crafting interesting characters in Jess, River, Juno, and Fizzy. Furthermore, this one had a futuristic undertone by using something like GeneticAlly.

The premise: With just a small sample of saliva, you can be successfully matched with your soulmate. Forget about the dating apps when DNAduo can tell you which relationship will have a favorable outcome.

Jess is a single mother who's doing the best she can for her daughter, Juno. Her grandparents are a big part of her life since her parents are not. Her father or better said, sperm donor was never in the picture and her mother was a junkie. Juno's father is also not in the picture. He bailed when she was pregnant without a backward glance. Juno's friend, Fizzy, wants Jess to start dating again but Jess is not sure she is ready. Then on a night when she is feeling down, she decides to submit her own sample. She is shocked when she learns they have found a match for her and the identity of this so-called match is even more astonishing.

For River Pena, the scientist behind the technology, learning that he has his own diamond match (98%) astounds him. If he was not the scientist who created it, he wouldn't believe it. A diamond match is almost unheard of and this could make his company become an instant success. Learning that Jess is his match flabbergasted him until he starts spending time with her and Juno.

I know I should mention how much I enjoyed The Soulmate Equation but I think I should say instead of how much I loved Fizzy and Juno in this one. Fizzy was everything someone should want in a friend to be and Juno simply put, was adorable. They made the story more believable and complemented Jess and River's storyline perfectly.

Cliffhanger: No

4/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by Gallery Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I cannot get enough of Christina Lauren!  They haven’t put out a bad book yet! The Soulmate Equation was absolutely amazing!!!
I loved this one so much. These ladies are usually a hit for me. This one has a single mom, hello all your single moms out there. Cheers ladies cause it is hard work. Throw in a super hot scientist who made a dating app, yeah I am all in.

This book did not disappoint. I loved it. The science bits weren't too sciencey. The romance was crazy hot. I loved River and Jess. Their chemistry was off the charts. I had the opportunity to listen to the audiobook as well and loved it. I flew through it in less than 8 hours.

4.5 big stars from me.

Thank you to the authors, the publisher, and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review.
The soulmate equation is such a fun idea, that DNA can actually show romantic compatibility, with equally great execution. It was a little difficult to get attached to the characters at first, but once we get to know River, the founder of a new revolutionary dating app based on DNA, the chemistry starts to flow. I would recommend this to fans of Christina Lauren and romance in general. It was a fun story that kept my interest the entire time.
Not my favorite Christina Lauren book. I felt like the characters fell a little flat and I didn’t feel invested in their story or journey.  Great concept but wasn’t executed all that well in my opinion.
The Soulmate Equation definitely takes a different look at romance. There's definitely quite some science in a dating app that matches you based on genetics and DNA. Besides that this is still a romantic comedy that we're used to getting by this author duo.

When I picked up this book it had me laughing the first few pages in. We follow our main character Jess. She's a single mother of an amazing little girl (she truly added an extra element to this book and make me laugh quite a few times). Jess is focused on her daughter and their life and has no interest in dating. She's a smart woman who works hard for the ones she loves.

River starts off as a character I wasn't sure what to think of. He's a bit arrogant in the beginning (or so it seems). I really think that River is a character you come to love as you learn more about him. He's also very smart and is trying his best to get his company off the ground and doesn't seem to have much time for anything else. In the end, he becomes a character that left a smile on my face during most scenes. River ends up being a very caring and protective individual and the interactions between him and Jess' daughter were very sweet. He knew she belonged in Jess' life and didn't want to do anything to hurt her.

Then there's the romance. For me it was definitely a slow burn romance. It took River and Jess quite some time before they truly gave their high matching score a chance. I feel it fit this story though and until then I loved their banter. It fit these characters and made it even more fun when they finally gave in. Neither of these characters expected to fall in love, but they can't deny their attraction. I have to say I think I would've gotten just a bit more invested in their romance if we got a few chapters from River's POV. In romance books I need to get the thoughts and perspective from the other character as well.

Also, once again there was an amazing side character. Jess' best friend Fizz was so much fun and I'd love to see her get her own romance. If you're looking for a fast and fun summer romance I definitely suggest picking up The Soulmate Equation!
I loved this book! I especially enjoyed the science aspect of it. It seemed extremely realistic, given how far science has been advancing. I also loved the chemistry between River and Jess, and how important the best friend was in this story line, as well as Jess's daughter and her grandparents. On the surface it seems like just another romance, but on a much deeper level it was about family, doing what is right, and science. 4.5 stars!!
Sometimes we just need to read something fun and cleverly written, and this book does the trick. It was a joy to read. I believe most of us would love to feel the person we decide to spend our life with is our soulmate. What if there was a way to scientifically predict the success of one’s relationship? That’s the premise of this book, sort of. It’s also about love, romance, life, and all the people in our lives that make us happy and unhappy.

Jess is a smart, young, single mom determined to make it on her own. “But then Jess hears about GeneticAlly, a buzzy new DNA-based matchmaking company that’s predicted to change dating forever. Finding a soulmate through DNA? The reliability of numbers: This Jess understands. At least she thought she did, until her test shows an unheard-of 98% compatibility with another subject in the database: GeneticAlly’s founder, Dr. River Pena. This is one number she can’t wrap her head around.”

This is a fairly quick and easy read. I enjoyed the characters and I laughed aloud several times, which is always nice. If you are looking for a fun-pick-me-up read, pick up this book.

Thanks to the publisher, the author, and NetGalley for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I have recently found Christina Lauren books, and The Soulmate Equation was good. Not my favorite, but I did enjoy it. I think the premise of the book was a little out there, but I did enjoy the characters except for Fizzy. I don't really understand her as a "best friend character" she was a little grating. Overall I would say I enjoyed this book, but I have read better ones from Christina Lauren.... ALSO, it is outrageous that this is a hardcover book at Barnes and Noble right now. That is so crazy and doesn't add up at all.
I really loved this one, it was the perfect amount of fun and sweet. I did not enjoy some of the name choices but everything else was perfect.