Cover Image: The Soulmate Equation

The Soulmate Equation

I adore this writing duo. They never disappoint with their stories and this one was no different.  I loved the storyline.  It was creative and engaging and even had a little bit of a twist that I loved.  I loved these characters and related to the nerdy aspects if I'm being honest.  I can't wait to read more from these authors and to see what they have in store for us next.
Wow, this romance totally got me! I was a little nervous going into this once I discovered that the hero actually has the same job as me (I'm a software engineer in scientific research and also write AI nets). But Christina Lauren clearly did their research! This book was the perfect balance of sweet moments, humor, realistic characters, with a fun, unique premise.

I loved the concept for the data app and the way the heroine got pulled into the startup. I love a bad a meet cute and this definitely fit that bill. The hero is lovably grumpy (at first) and watching him warm up to the heroine melted my heart.

Jess is a single mom and just trying to make ends meet - and I adored her. She's was strong yet vulnerable, and super relatable (even though our lives are literally nothing alike).

There were so many moments that made me laugh and swoon. This book is definitely more on the romantic side than the sexy side and it was exactly what I needed. I loved the communication between the characters and thought they solid chemistry once they broke down each other's walls.

I also really liked that there wasn't an overabundance of unnecessary conflict thrown in.
While the final conflict was a miscommunication, it felt organic and realistic. Plus the hero did a good amount of groveling (and who doesn't love a groveling hero).

Christina Lauren books are so comforting and romantic and this one was no exception. Definitely a recent favorite of theirs!

This review is live on Goodreads!
What a standout book for Christina Lauren! A new, interesting topic -- can you find love through genetics -- and a steamy romance created throughout. A wonderful, summer beach read.
I loved this book! The story was so well written. It was unique and fun. I loved the romantic relationship journey between Jess and River is beautiful. A great mix of sexy and sweet moments, A great level of drama but a perfect resolution, wish there was more!
Okay I loved this book! I thought it was so fun and I loved the romance with Jess and River!It had a fake dating style romance that was slightly different, I thought that was fun! I will say that I wished the relationship had developed a lot faster, but that is more of a personal preference. I loved seeing them get to develop a friendship of sorts and how that turned into a great romance between River and Jess! I loved also their banter! They had such fun banter! I loved the idea of their Diamond match bringing them close together and bringing about their friendship turned relationship. It was fun seeing them discover each other and see the traits they have and how that brings them closer together! I also liked how nerdy River was as a character! He was hilarious at times, and Jess was also really sassy as a person and I loved that! I also loved her nerdy moments too! I loved seeing two nerds fall in love! I also loved the relationship between Jess and her daughter Juno! Their love for each other was so sweet, and I loved how Jess was such a good mother! And I loved the support system she had with her friend Fizzy and her grandparents! The love they all had for each other was so sweet and I adored seeing it! It kind of makes me long for a relationship with my grandparents. I never knew my grandpas, and I barely talked to my grandmas, and so it kind of makes me long for a relationship like Jess had with hers. Overall I enjoyed this book so much! Christina Lauren never disappoint when I read any of their books! I cannot wait for their next book!
LIKES:
📝 hilarious, compelling, unputdownable writing plus some deeper moments!
🧬 LOVED the science/stats vibes! I once worked with genotyping data so this was super fun for me 👩‍🔬
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 the main characters were all so real! I especially loved Fizzy and Jess’ friendship
👩 I also just loved Jess!! She was nerdy but also dynamic, sarcastic, and relatable - so far from the one-dimensional leads in a lot of romances!
🤵‍♂️ I’m an absolute sucker for enemies-to-lovers AND fake-dating/date-plans AND the-emotionally-repressed-a$$hole-guy-who-is-only-nice-when-in-love-and-has-a-secret-heart-of-gold (could I have made that longer? Place ur bets in the comments 😂)
⏱ Perfect pacing...
🥵... and tension 👀...
💗...and ROMANCE!!!!
DISLIKES:
✳️ had no dislikes personally but here are some disclaimers for others!
🤷‍♀️ The whole dna-soulmate premise requires some suspension of disbelief and was far-fetched but I think that made it fun!
🤺some of the reasons for being “enemies” are a stretch
👩‍🔬 has a decent amount of science and math jargon
VERDICT: if you like science/stats and LOVE romance then TSE is for you! A perfect enemies to lovers romance with dynamic characters and such a fun, unique premise of DNA-matchmaking!
Lauren never fails to disappoint! I was hooked from the beginning. So funny and such a fun light read.
The Soulmate Equation by @christinalauren

4.75 ⭐️

I loved this book! It was cute, sweet, funny and nerdy, what’s not to like? @christinalauren were so amazing, I was fan-girling like a teenage girl when she meets a rockstar she loves. The Zoom chat was amazing and we laughed and leaned a lot of cool things, like did you know that Lauren was a neuroscientist? 🤯 I also loved learning how well they worked together and their writing process. They also told us that they think THEY WOULD BE A DIAMOND MATCH and I have no doubts about it. 👭🏻 Any minute now, these 2 powerhouses will come up with this amazing technology for sure! 🤣

What I loved ❤️: The banter and chemistry were really good ❤️ The side characters, specially Pops and Juno were my favorites ❤️ The whole concept of DNA compatibility is really interesting.

What I didn’t like 👎🏼: It was a bit steamier than I like and Jess’ body reacted too much in River’s presence.

What I liked 👍🏼: They are auto-buy authors for me because I know that I’m always going to have a good time reading their books, this one was no exception, they are fun and their books are fun! 👍🏼 I loved that they used a lot of real places that we could Google and that way picture the scenes better ☺️

💎: “You are so quiet. This concern you, too, you know. I realize your default energy level is Cardboard Cutout, but I can’t get to know you if you don’t speak.” 🤣

Thank you so much @leoprny for sending me a copy of this book! 🙌🏼🙌🏼
I loved this book so much I stretched it out so I wouldn’t finish it in one sitting. Such a great adult romance by the amazing duo Christina Lauren! Now I’m officially out of their recent books and will have to dive into their older collection.
As always Christina Lauren does not dissapoint! This was such a fun concept and I loved the DNA aspect. Love the way its written!
The Soulmate Equation was exactly what I needed to get me out of the funk I've been in. As you guys know, I just did a massive move to Okinawa and my reading took a major nosedive because of it. I was starting to think that I would never get my reading mojo back but thankfully, Christina Lauren have helped me out. This was just what I didn't know I needed. A cute, dorky romance based off of genetics, numbers and a whole bunch of other sciency things that went way over my head.

I loved the whole concept and execution of this story. Jess is the unwilling skeptical friend who gets dragged into this new dating app experience by her best friend. They've been eyeballing this one brooding guy who's come into their coffee shop at the same time every day and when they finally talk to him, they find out he's in charge of a new dating app. Since Jess' best friend is a romance writer, it stands to reason that her interest would be immediately piqued. Which is how Jess finds herself in this whole situation. She doesn't think much of it until she gets a notification that she paired very high with the founder, and broody coffee guy. What ensues is the two of them fumbling through this new development and deciding if they are a match, or if the system is just numbers.

Not only did I enjoy the concept of the story, but I loved the characters. River isn't actually this brooding, high and mighty type that he portrays in public. He's actually socially awkward and very shy. He clearly has social anxiety which comes off as him being standoffish when in all actuality, he's just overwhelmed and uncomfortable by his surroundings or making small talk. Might not be something most would notice, but since that is something that I struggle with, I saw it from a mile away. Now Jess is the complete opposite. She didn't have the best upbringing with her mom choosing addiction over her. So, Jess is a bit more outspoken and self-assured. I love that she thought rationally and didn't jump to conclusions. She was very level headed and through things through and I really appreciated it. She also had a very amusing bff in her corner who made life a little interesting and an adorable little daughter who not only adored her, but adored River as well. The whole family/friend dynamic was great and I really enjoyed it.

Even when conflict arose, I was totally feeling it. I mean, it was a huge blow and it would make anyone take a step back. Granted talking would have helped a whole lot, but I can see how things played out the way that they did. I honestly didn't have any real problem with this story except that I don't know how Jess could go on living not knowing!! I mean, I get it, you don't need to know your actual score when you're in love, but I do. Jess, I need to know what your score was because I'm nosy, and invested and I need to know!
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of this book from one of my favorite author duos!!  I love a good single-mom romance, especially when it is clear that this mom always puts her child first above everything else.  Dr. Pena is the epitome of what I imagine a scientist would be like, super awkward, and straight forward, never mincing words.  Since Jess is a numbers gal and has had a rough past, she is always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  The two of them together have incredible chemistry once they let their walls down, which makes for a couple of really great steamy moments.  Juno is an absolute delight with a sharp wit and such a positive disposition which speaks volumes about Jess's parenting skills and her "village".  Fizzy is the best friend we all wish we had and such a great addition to the story.  This was an incredibly sweet and thoughtful infinity stars read and one I will definitely re-read over and over again.
This was so good!

Oh, full disclosure. I am a full-grown adult, mother, wife, and businesswoman. Procrastination is in my DNA and so is mad dashes and always being 15 min fashionably late. My life is real and always busy and sometimes it's covered in mud from soccer practices or dog slobber or even worse kid spit-up or vomit. Messy I tell you. But it's a beautiful and chaotic life I wouldn't trade or give up for anything in this universe.

My disclosure has a point I promise, I read books to escape or change worlds. Cosplay if you will for a few hours. I wouldn't give up my world for anything, but I will mute it for a hot second for a verbal vacation. This book was that vacation, even though it was real. It was raw and it made my heart drop, break and fill all in the same hour.

I recommend this book so hard to anyone who wants to escape and finish a book only to go to the people in your life and hug them, and feel complete love. This book is beautiful and you need to try it. If you want a book to move you and make you take pause and question everything this is THAT book. READ IT!
Witty, wonderful, and delightful from start to finish.

Christina Lauren are my go-to for romance. I’ve been struggling to read the genre, so this book was a surprise. I finished and loved it immensely!!
This takes swapping spit to a whole new meaning. Imagine a world where all you need to do is swab your mouth, send it in to be analyzed and then on an app on your phone you see the compatibility rates of singles near you. You can even define what percentage 50% 60% 70%, and so on that you want to be notified at. Sounds pretty amazing right?
Jess Davis is a statistics queen and she definitely has her doubts about this. She knows the genetic make up of DNA and she has her doubts about GenticAlly the new dating app.
Americano aka Dr. River Pena comes to the cafe that Jess frequents often. She calls him Americano because that’s what he orders. She’s had a secret crush on him for a long time but has never talked to him, but when he steals her parking spot and doesn’t save the elevator for her she knows without a doubt he is not her Soulmate. But when Jess’s friend convinces him that she could help him promote his app she realizes that Dr. Pena is behind GenticAlly. Jess decides to swab her mouth and get it analyzed. What’s the worst that could happen? 🤷‍♀️

🧬🧬🧬🧬 My Thoughts 🧬🧬🧬🧬
1. Give me all the Nerdy romances! I loved the scientific terms! Talk Nerdy to me baby! 🤓
2. I loved her grandparents and how they were always behind her decisions!
This was a great story about two friends, Jess and Fizzy, who start their mornings at the coffee shop. Every morning at the exact same time, “americano”, walks in. He is a man who gets the same thing every day and speaks to no one. The two women watch him everyday for over a year without so much as a glance toward them.

They eventually find out that he owns the company, GeneticAlly, a DNA matching making company to help find your soulmate. They take the test and the results provide a stunning result that Jess’s soulmate is none other than “americano”, Dr. River Pena. The score from the test was one of the highest compatibility result since inception of the testing.

The story continues that the company wants them to spend time together so see if they fit well together and they will provide compensation to Jess for doing so. No spoilers so you will have to read to see what happens.

I love the two authors writing style and look forward to the next book.
Not sure if I had just binged Netflix’s ‘The One’ but the premises just felt too similiar that I couldn’t get into it.
I LOVED THIS! Jess is a single mom, statistics wizard, and love skeptic. GeneticAlly is a matchmaking service that uses DNA science to determine compatibility. When Jess submits her sample, she is a “diamond” match with the GeneticAlly’s founder, Dr. River Pena. The problem? Jess knows River, and she knows he can’t be her soulmate. When GeneticAlly offers to pay Jess (who is barely making ends meet) to get to know River, Jess begins to realize there might be a science to finding a soulmate.

I have yet to read a Christina Lauren book that I don’t like, and this one did not disappoint! I liked Jess, I liked River, and I liked the supporting characters - I really want a Fizzy story! I thought the idea of using DNA to find a soulmate was a fun twist on dating apps. Highly recommend!

Thanks to @NetGalley and Gallery Books for my ARC!
My first read by Christina Lauren and it won't be my last! Very cute storyline about a dating website with a twist. The characters are a lot of fun and the book is absolutely perfect for summer!
Christina Lauren's books are usually hit or miss with me, and I just didn't love this one. I had a hard time staying engaged with it. It won't stop me from reading their books in the future though!