Cover Image: Don't Wake Me

Don't Wake Me

Jasmin may have killed a man. Her husband tells her that it must have been a deer. To recover from the shock and escape from the grief of what she did, she heads to a small Norwegian island with her son. While there, the body of the man she hit turns up on a beach not far from her house. Someone is torturing Jasmin to seek revenge for his murder. She must solve that mystery (and a few others) without revealing that she killed him.

Very twisty and intriguing. If you like Girl on the Train or the Woman in the Window, you will like this book.
This was a lugubrious psychological thriller with a haunting setting. It was well written with many twists and turns, and questions of reality.
Many thanks to Amazon Publishing UK and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
This was an amazing thriller that kept me awake  the whole time. The author’s depiction of the characters was really pointed & accurate on and the plot had me nervous the whole time. Very atmospheric, a great read!
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Fascinating read !!

I really liked this book which was very well written. It started really slowly. Up to 40% of the book the author focused on the context looking like he wanted that readers have all information before exposing the components of the plot. From there, it was fast, twisting and full of suspense.

Martin Krüger came up with a psychological thriller which will keep the reader guessing from the beginning to the end. It investigates the "case" of Yasmin HANSEN a married doctor in Oslo and mother of a little boy. She was the victim of a serious car accident when returning from a party. The car crah left her in a coma for several years. Things happened during the night party but Yasmin forgot all events related to this night when she wake up from her coma years after. Her husband is trying to help her to get again her memories but it is not easy because Yasmin is in real and deep pain and what happened is so serious.

Characters are well designed. Yasmin is fragile and likable and personally I liked her character. Minsoy, the Norwegian island where the story takes place, the austere character of its inhabitants, the weather, the storms and many other things increased the suspense and made the plot more believable. The ending is particularly surprising.

I highly recommend this book, paparticularly for Scandinavian Crime fans.
I have so many things to say about this book but I don’t want to ruin the story for other readers! This thriller kept me intrigued throughout its many twists and turns. I could not have imagined the ending and even as I read it I was in shock.
This is a story of how deep a mother’s love runs.
The premise sounded exciting, the blurb made me feel as if things would keep happening every few pages.

But I thought this got lost in translation. Jasmin hit something but what was it. Her husband was infidel but was he really? To escape the trauma she moved to a remote island with her son. But then she discovered secrets which put both her and her son’s life in danger.

The best part of the book was the description as the island felt ominous, great atmosphere written in by the author. The concept was great, but the delivery fell apart. There were too many things happening which didn’t feel seamless. Some felt way out there, and the twist could be easily guessed.

But with so many great thrillers, this one didn’t grip me. I hopped, skipped, and jumped till I got to the end. You can give this one a miss. On to my next.
Author: Martin krüger
Genre: Psychological thriller, Noirdic
Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟💫/5

If u loved reading The Other Mrs by Mary kubica, then you should read this!!!

Don't Wake Me is a fast-paced, heart-pounding psychological thriller set on the small Norwegian island. Jasmin who is a doctor,also mother of five year old son Paul. The story follows the main protagonist, Jasmin travels to Norwegian island of Minsøy along with her son and a dog. A  few years back on one night, a terrible accident happened to her on this island. Her husband assured her many times that she hit her car over a deer. But, she can't remember what happened on that day. She goes back hoping she could get back her memories. As the story builds up, the tension gets intense. The twist at the end i did not see that coming. It definitely was a wild ride. Overall, i loved reading this book.

Huge thanks to netgalley and thomas mercerfor sending me this eARC in exchange for my honest review.
Straight to the point. Excellent read! I am so pleased with this book! I liked the writing, the atmosphere, the setting and the POV. It even tricked me to believe for a different ending although the scenarios in my head were battling with each other. This is something I love in stories! Had the right amount of suspense and action not to be boring but not over fast-paced either. I just couldn’t put it down!
This book didn't quite do it for me, but I find it difficult to say why.

A car crash, a memory of who or what was killed that night  that can't quite be recovered.....Jasmin searches for the answer.  Who will help? Who to trust?

It didn't have me turning over the pages in excitement, but it kept me engaged and reading to the end.
very well written, fast paced yet atmospheric. I've never read this author before and will look for more. I really enjoyed it.
This was an intriguing synopsis, a woman running to a remote Norwegian island, her memory of a terrible accident patchy and ghosts of that night not letting her rest.  It certainly ticked my boxes with bonus ticks for the Norwegian setting, I had high hopes for this one.

The story flits between the present when Jasmin travels to a remote island to stay at her isolated holiday home.  With her travels her young son Paul and their dog.  She is trying to clear her mind after a car crash in which she is convinced she killed a man.  Now there is no evidence of this ever happening, even her husband says it must have been a deer but she is plagued by images of the man she thinks she killed.  Can she put her memories back together?

Her remote house which should help aid her recovery fills her full of unease, like someone is watching her.  The island is not a safe haven, she seems to have run out of the frying pan straight in to the fire.

Sorry if that’s a bit vague, I think I’d be a risk of too many spoilers if I go any deeper.  So I did like this book but it has some major twists, one of which is possibly a twist too far and left me feeling a bit disappointed.  It has an amazing dark, suspenseful, atmospheric setting, plenty of creeps but that last part of the book wasn’t for me.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is the perfect book for this time of year, in these uncertain times. Jasmin has hit something with her car, she’s not sure what it was but her husband has tried to convince her it was a deer. To get some escape she has done for a break on a remote island with her son. Once here she uncovers secrets that put both her life and the life of her son in danger. The scenic descriptions in this book are amazing, they really do transport you to the island. The portrayal of Jasmin is very clever, you don’t know who to trust (including the narrator) and  you feel her confusion and frustration throughout the book.
So the premise of this book sounded great. Jasmin had an accident and can't believe what she's been told happened, everyone told her she hit a deer but she is certain she hit a drifter. So she goes to her holiday home to take space to work put what happened that night.  When she arrives at the island something is off the islanders are hiding something and Jasmin is hell bent on finding out what it is.  Sounds good right?

Well I judt didn’t love this book at all. Its split in two halves. The first half was a struggle to get through I was hoping the second half would improve but it didn't I'm sorry to say. After the first couple of chapters I had guessed the entire premise of the book. If you like me read psychological thrillers regularly you will see it coming a mile off. Then the unravelling of the twist isn't well excavated at all.

The story is quite jumpy abd that didn't help when trying to get into a book you are finding difficult anyway  dreams are presented as reality, loads of small characters who add nothing to the story and it's just so random.

The thing I love about the story is the main character is called Jasmin as am I and it's so rare to find my name spelt that way anywhere, but that obviously isn't really much to do with the actual story.

The writing appears quite basic and I wonder if some of it was lost in translation. I would of loved my descriptive prose but hey I've never written a book.

In terms of this book I'm sad to say it's not one I would recommend but that's just my opinion. It's thriller aspects are random. I wish the twist would io been executed better to give more weight to the twist.
 Jssmin isn't a great protagonist and as its narrated on third person  I felt very unattached to her. The book is quite short around a ten hour read for me. If you are new to the genre give it a try you might enjoy it............

Thank you to netgalley, the author for taking the time to write and to the publishers for the advanced digital copy in exchange for my fair and honest opinion.
I am so sorry to say that this one is not working for me at all. I'm not sure if it's the translation but the writing is a little odd and confusing. DNF.
I found this really dark but interesting.  It started off very difficult to read and I put it aside for a few weeks. Today I went back to it and I must have been in a better place to read it and get absorbed as I wanted to find out what happened.
Other people said the twist was obvious - to be fair I  had thought it was something completely different. I think that is what makes a good book.

This is a first book by this author and I hope it wont be the last.
I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers in exchange for an honest and fair review which I have done so.
I’m a little ambivalent about this book.  It was very atmospheric and had a very interesting premise.  But I could not understand the protagonist and why she did certain things so had a hard time really caring about what happened.  I did like the first half of the book enough to finish reading it.  It does give you some things to think about.
What a freaking page turner. Book had me guessing from page to page and I never wanted to put it down. Literally did not see the end coming. At all.  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Don't Wake Me is a cracking and breathtaking psychological thriller set against a stunning, snow-covered Norwegian backdrop by bestselling author Martin Krüger; this is his first novel to be translated into English. Jasmin Hansen, a doctor from Oslo, travels to the Norwegian island of Minsøy with her five-year-old son Paul and three-year-old Labrador, Bonnie. She hopes that in the seclusion the memories of her terrible accident one night several months ago will finally return. Because although her husband Jørgen assures her that she has only run over a deer, they are tormented by nightmares in which a homeless person is fatally injured in the impact. But she cannot calm down on Minsøy either. Instead, the dark island gives her new riddles. When a dead person washes up on the beach near the village of Skårsteinen, Jasmin is horrified because he resembles the stranger in her dreams. Only a little later she receives a mysterious threatening letter with the words: "I know what you are." But who on the island knows her past? Somebody wants to prevent her from remembering at all costs...This is a riveting and seriously scintillating work of Scandinavian noir and the type of book you enjoy so damn much that you hope the author will race to translate the rest of his fiction into English.

It's dark, compelling and twisty throughout with great attention to detail and an excellent use of misdirection to steer you one way and then another with total ease. I was putty in Krüger’s hands, right from the off, that's for sure. Both the mystery and intrigue are adeptly executed, and as the narrative progresses the tension is ratcheted up to the point where I was desperate to know what was going on. I usually have an inkling of where a thriller is heading, but I can truly say that I was wrong on multiple fronts this time, which was a refreshing and welcome change. The characterisation was some of the most intricate and interesting I've encountered of late; other writers should use this as an example of how to develop engaging, relatable and believable characters. Speaking of characters, the beautiful Norwegian setting of the island with no escape, due to the weather stopping the only mode of transport to and from the mainland, was very much a character in itself and added a claustrophobic and extra sinister atmosphere to the plot; it certainly increased the suspense and created a delicious sense of impending doom. All in all, this is a captivating, tense and entertaining thrill ride I cannot recommend highly enough, and a real must-read for Scandinavian crime connoisseurs.
I don’t know what I think about this book. For a large portion of the story I was confused, not really understanding what was happening which does tie in with the main characters experience and the story itself. At times I found the content to be far scarier than I had expected which isn’t really to my taste, I don’t like scary and this novel really pushed me outside of what I consider comfortable. I found the main character okay but didn’t really love her, the more the story went on the more frustrated and annoyed I got with her, I found her son’s voice to be far older than the 5 years he was supposed to be, but this again could be connected to the storyline. I wonder if some of my issues are to do with the way the story was translated as I’m conscious that some things may get lost or changed during this process.. I did find the story gripping, however, and I didn’t want to put it down. I read it very quickly because it was easy to get into and when I had to put it down I really wanted to continue reading. Not a favourite book, not a hated book, just a book that I have read and enjoyed enough to read quickly.