Cover Image: Berried Motives

Berried Motives

Monica is thrilled to have the opportunity to showcase the cranberry farm and bakery on local television.  When the reporter is found murdered shortly after filming the segment, Monica's brother is among the suspects.  Monica quickly discovers that the suspect list is long and is determined to prove her brother's innocence.  I enjoy this series.  The characters and setting are perfect for a cozy mystery.  I do wish Monica would pretend to be involved in the bakery.  She depends way too much on her assistant.
This is book 6 in the Cranberry Cove series and Monica and her brother are happy for some free publicity when the local news show wants to do a segment on their farm and bakery.   It's harvest season and things are hectic.  It's not good news when the new anchor is found dead on the farm and brother Jeff is main suspect.  A nice cozy mystery with all Monica's friends and family updated and present.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book is part of a series but it reads well as a stand alone, I haven't read any of the others but will definitely add them to my list.
A good story with great characterisation and it kept me turning the pages.
Monica’s sleuthing ability on the alert, she found herself immersed deep in a murder mystery, one that was too close to home, one she could not ignore, even if she wanted to. It had a few twists, which was mired in some deep-rooted secrets, uprooting them, could become fatal, but she was determined to bring the truth to light. A must-read, and a worthy bookshelf addition, folks, it was engaging, gripping, intriguing, and entertaining.
Berried Motives by Peg Cochran is the sixth novel in A Cranberry Cove Mystery series.  It can be read as a standalone if you are new to the series, but you will be missing out on some good stories.  I thought Berried Motives was well-written with developed, relatable characters.  The story moves along at a good pace.  The mystery was nicely done with multiple suspects along with misdirection.  Monica actively questions people in her quest to clear Jeff’s employee off the suspect list.  There are good clues to help readers solve the whodunit and the mystery was nicely wrapped up at the end.  I had a good time following the investigation and solving the crime.  It was interesting learning about cranberry harvesting.  It is a fascinating process.  There are recipes at the end for some of the items Monica made.  The ending was happy and heartwarming.  I enjoyed reading Berried Motives and I look forward to the next A Cranberry Cove Mystery.  Berried Motives is an engaging cozy mystery with cranberry bogs, a happy hound, scrumptious salsa, a departed reporter, a suspicious senatorial candidate, and a healthy harvest.
I'm a big fan of this series but honestly, this is not my favorite book. While I love the cranberry farm and the recipe, I didn't love Monica this time. Everyone knows that a cozy has a protagonist that "investigates", when in reality it's snooping. In this book Monica crosses the line for me by reading papers that are in a backpack. I really struggled with that. And I'm really not sure why this book kept talking about Monica's hair and why do you have to check your cat's food and water so often?! I also didn't like the fact that she has figured out who the killer is and then blindly opens her door when someone is knocking on it, cue the teenage slasher movie. I will read the next book because truthfully I enjoy this series and I'm hoping Monica behaves better the next go round.
An entertaining and well written cozy mystery.  Great addition to the series.  I received an advance ebook from the publisher and Netgalley and this is my unbiased review.
2.5/5

I've stuck with this series thorough many books and while it's not my favourite cozy series I keep coming back so that must say something right?  While the story was alright, I found the writing was a bit repetitive and some of the relationships seemed forced.  I liked the setting but would have enjoyed a bit more happening in town rather than so many scenes of Monica and Greg eating meals and tidying up their house.  Will I read the next one?  If past experiences say anything then there is a good chance; I seem to just keep coming back hoping for more.
This is the sixth book in a series by Peg Cochran and my second.

The local TV news channel is keen to feature Monica Albertson's and her brother Jeff's Sassamanash Farm on its evening show 'What's Up West Michigan.' She is absolutely thrilled that the farm will receive the publicity at cranberry harvest time but panicked as she hasn't been given much notice. But when the show’s host, Betsy DeJong's bloodied body is found by the side of the road to the farm - and Jeff is cast as the prime suspect - her problems really begin...

Although I am rather late to the party in Peg Cochran's 'Cranberry Cove Mystery' series as I started from book five, I still found Berried Motives an enthralling, fun read. I especially like the character of thirty-something baker Monica, also the proud owner of Mittens the cat. Monica creates tasty treats using cranberries that are sold in her brother's farm shop and she also does the financial accounts for the farm. The cranberry-based culinary creations that Monica makes sound absolutely delicious and I would particularly like to try the White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Cookies.

The character development was excellent, and I liked the addition of the dog named Hercule. The plotline was well done and I was turning the pages late into the night. A humourous, absorbing story of mystery and mayhem that has inspired me to read some of the other instalments.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Beyond the Page Publishing via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
A fun mystery with an unlikable victim and plenty of suspects, both likeable and not so likeable. I always like it when a cozy mystery keeps me going back and forth over "whodunit"!
This is a series however I had never read them before and it didn't matter as background was given - this may be frustrating if you'd already read the books but as I hadn't it was useful!

The overall plot was very basic and it was obvious who the murderer was without any red herrings which was a shame. I would have liked to see a bit more of the cranberry farm as it was quite an interesting setting. There were a lot of characters but not much depth to them unfortunately but overall a cosy murder mystery. If a tad obvious.
Berried Motives by Peg Cochran is the 5th book in a Cranberry Cove series, and another fun addition. I really enjoy this series. Monica and Greg are married, and looking forward to their future.  When a local television news stations did a segment on the Cranberry farm and shop, and later the newscaster was found dead on the farm, the sleuthing begins. I found this book interesting, and I couldn't stop reading. I can't wait for the next book in the series. I highly recommended this book and series for anyone who enjoys cozy mystery, like me.
Such a great read. I really enjoyed the plot of the story. I felt like I was a character interacting within the story. This was a new author for me.
Every installment in this series just gets better and better, and this latest installment does nothing but add to it. Opening the page is like visiting old friends, even with the twist of murder. Full of surprises, we join Monica as she tries to find the real killer. A fabulous read!
I've discovered this series in the middle, but that doesn't matter since the novel works perfectly as a standalone. However, I shall definitely be reading the other books in this series.

Sometimes food and drink-based cozies can be a little claustrophobic in that we hardly seem to get away from the cafe or restaurant, or wherever it's based, but this one has us out and about,  not just round the cranberry farm. It's fascinating to discover how such a place operates, and nice and seasonal at this time of year (December).

We meet a lovely array of characters, from awful to adorable. Each one is rounded and very convincing. Monica is a splendid heroine as she's down to earth and loyal, but there's a lively spark to her too.

The plot is complex and clever, and it's a book that's hard to put down once you start reading.
Very enjoyable and satisfying.
This was another great book in the series that I couldn't put down! I love to see the relationships as they develop, not just with Monica and Greg, but with Jefff and Lauren and Detective Stevens. In this installment, the farm is doing so good that a news crew is coming by to do a story. The anchor, who is rude and nasty to everyone ends up murdered on the farm. One of Jeff's crew members is suspected of the murder due to his long past history with the victim. The story has a lot of twists and turns that I really did not expect. The anchor was engaged to a local business owner who was running for senate, and due to her negative and nasty attitude, there are plenty of suspects!

I really do enjoy the setting of Cranberry Cove and can imagine walking down the street between Greg's shop, the butcher shop and the sister's candy store. I really enjoyed the addition of the family pup in this one. The writing style is great and the story flows nicely. One thing I wasn't huge on was Monica running off to investigate and leaving Kit alone in the store. I felt bad for him and angry on his behalf. I do like him being a bigger part of the story though.

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.
cozy-mystery, Michigan, amateur-sleuth, murder, murder-investigation, rural****

As a Wisconsinite used to cranberry bogs I was surprised to learn that western Michigan had them, too. This book gives an easy tutorial on cranberry growing and harvesting along with a good murder mystery. The local TV news diva comes out to the farm for a highlight but leaves in a body bag instead of a news truck. Monica can't help but sleuth while cooking up cranberry deserts. Loved it! And the recipes, too!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Beyond the Page Publishing via NetGalley. Thank you!
I love this series, and I’m never disappointed when I read a book by this author.
It’s always fun to learn something new about cranberries, and I love reading about the wonderful baked goods.
It’s like catching up with family when I pick up a book in this series.
What's up West Michigan is doing a segment on Sassamanash Farm. The filming goes off without a hitch until the diva host Betsy DeJong  ends up dead. Monica immediately goes into investigating mode even though it's gotten her into trouble in the past. As she digs into Betsy's past she realizes the woman wasn't well liked and held a few deep secrets. Betsy's  fiance, Bob Cider becomes the main suspect but since he's running for senator a murder on his resume wouldn't look too grand .. When Dan Polsky,  former boyfriend of Betsy's is arrested  for the murder Monica is certain he isn't guilty. Yet proving that is harder than it seems. Monica suddenly finds herself face to face with the real killer and they aren't in the mood to play games or leave behind anyone who can identify them. Will this be her final case or will help arrive in time.??.
It's great to be back in Cranberry Cove and a return to Monica's brothers cranberry farm. The local television station decides to travel to the farm to show the viewers the farm itself and different parts of the harvest. The anchor is bossy and rude towards her co-workers, but she is attractive and engaged to a US Senate candidate. But her hopes of hosting DC parties end when she is found dead on the grounds of the farm. Monica wonders if there is a random killer or if only she were targeted. She is determined to find the answers..

I've read most of the prior books in the series and this can easily be read as a standalone. I really enjoyed the author's synopsis of the series during the first chapter. It's much easier for me to concentrate as opposed to looking back and forth for snippets of prior events. The town is so quaint, just as I imagine it to be with all of its small shops and of course, Monica's husbands bookstore. The characters dialogue flows easily and the mystery plot provides good red herrings.

Thanks to NetGalley and Beyond the Page for a copy of this book. My review is voluntary.

<a href="https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/43755056-amy">View all my reviews</a>