Cover Image: The Silent House

The Silent House

The Silent House is next level good!

It’s dark, gritty and although it drags a little in places you need to stick with it since the pay off is worth it! I don’t want to give any secrets away so trust me when I say you NEED to read this book!
In some ways I feel like this was a couple of different books rolled into one. First, it was very gothic, and those parts worked. But there’s another side to the book, and that’s family drama. This is the catalyst for why Sophy has to take a job at the titular house in the first place. There’s also a (sort of) romantic triangle for Sophy between getting to know Victor and her husband reappearing on the scene. All of it is put together into an epic story that sometimes drags but ultimately did keep me engaged up to the end. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into the book, but what I got (in spite of the differing genres it seems to fit) was an interesting read with good characters (some better than others) that took me out of real life for a while. For a detailed review, please visit Fireflies and Free Kicks. Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for a digital ARC of the book.
This is classed as psychological thriller but it definitely has more of a gothic mystery/romance edge to it!

This one started off really well and had my sucked right in but it got to about 1/3 of the way through and seemed to just fall flat.

I really liked the characters, they were relatable which is always a massive bonus but I felt there were way too many filler characters and moments that just didn't need to be in there.

Personally I think if it had been classed in the right genre it's not one I would have read. There's things I expect from a psychological thriller and this one just didnt tick all the boxes for me.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it!

Please note I read as the original title of 'The Tinderbox'

Thanks to netgalley and Bookouture for the ARC.
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture on the arc of The Silent House by Laura Elliot.

4 Star Read- This follows Sophy whom is a Live in nurse at a place called Hyland Hall. The owner of this hall is called Jack Hyland he requires constant care and also has full body burns.  So her and her children stay here after her leaving behind debt and a failing marriage..  as her husband ended up gambling everything away... but Jack has a hidden agenda... this is narrated by Sophy herself and Isobel.  Such a gripping, emotional and distresssing read as all the twists and turns are gruesome but great!

Highly Recommend- 4 stars- ⭐⭐⭐⭐
What a thrilling edge of your seat read. This was a quick paced gothic thriller type. Plot was well thought out and the flow was suspenseful with a slow build which was perfect for a book of this length. I really enjoyed this and definitely recommend.
Anyone looking for a suspenseful, adrenalin-packed thrill ride, need look no further. Though there were a few parts of the book that were overly dramatic, and made me suspend belief, it was a page-turner. Part crime thriller and part romantic suspense, the novel had me gripped under its spell for two days.

The atmosphere and descriptions were very vivid. The characters quite easy to imagine, though at times I grew impatient with Sophy and her daughters, I came to like and understand them more towards the end.

The plot was well planned and executed. It spoke to what measures some people will go in the name of avarice. How difficult it is to trust after it has been lost, and also, to the randomness of fate.

This is my first Laura Elliot novel, and when time permits I will search out more of her work.
3-4 stars.  This was a well written book, with great character development, but was a bit slow paced for me.  Overall, I think most will enjoy, as it does offer some great thrills, chills, and shocks, but at a slower pace than I prefer.  I would recommend though, as it is a fun, quick read!
When Sophy is forced to take a job working at Hyland hall, she discovers that the owner Jack is disfigured after being caught in a fire. Sophy's marriage has also broken down due to her husbands gambling ways, and soon after she settles in at Hyland Hall, she quickly discovers there are many secrets lurking.

This was such a gripping, chilling read from the start! Sophy's character was realistic and easy to connect with, and her daughter Isobel was charming.
The authors brilliant writing style really captivates you from the start, and you find yourself fully immersed in the world that they have created, along with being fully Invested in Sophy's life and the safety of both herself and her daughter.

This was an absolute page turner that I couldn't tear myself away from. An absolute must read for all who love a thriller!.
A ok booking not sure if I like or not but I keep thinking about the plot so I must of like it it stat in my head so that good plot was ok characters good very strong a good read
In short: Sophy, a newly single mother, needs to find somewhere for her and her daughters to live, following a separation which left them homeless. They go to live with an elderly recluse in his gothic mansion so that Sophy can care for his medical needs whilst providing her girls a home. This man and his home are not all they first seem, and a tale spanning 40 years unfolds.

This story had me gripped from the get go, full of mystery, ambience and it came to life like a motion picture in my mind. I am new to Laura Elliot as an author and she has a talent for submerging you into a new place which feels entirely real, that you can hear each creak, touch each piece of furniture- I can honestly say I've not experienced such certainty and vivid pictures of each scene in any book I've read before and she is remarkably able to do so without all the waffle which would usually tire me. In terms of a thriller, this is not out and out suspense... I foretold the outcomes early into the book however this made no difference to wanting to see how they were played out and to be immersed in the plot.

I incidentally preferred the first name initially assigned to this work- (The Tinder Box) feeling it was more relative to the tale, however assume it was changed so not to be mistaken for the fairytale. In many ways this is a work of literary fiction, romance and suspense; however regardless of which genre it has been branded, I enjoyed it very much. I do feel chapter 60 was far too advanced from 59 and something was missing between the two or that possibly chapter 60 should have been incorporated into the epilogue.

Wonderful use of language and creation of atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed the diary entries. With thanks to Laura Elliot, Bookouture and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
Well-written Gothic thriller/mystery about a woman who loses everything after her husband gambles away their life savings, and is forced to take a job as caretaker for a reclusive older man disfigured by a fire. She lives in the dark mansion with her two daughters. This was one of my favorite 2020 reads. As you read, more and more twists and turns occur that I never would have thought of. The ending was very surprising and satisfying. If you like atmospheric and haunting books, you will enjoy this book.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
A broken marriage forces a move to a broken home and a broken man for our main characters. Add in a too good to be true love interest and a development plan and you have all the elements of a good mystery story.
Sophy's marriage has broken down after her husband's gambling addiction leaves the family homeless. Desperate to protect her daughters, she take a private nursing job, living in at an old stately home withe the reclusive owner. Jack Hyland was hideously disfigured in a fire and rejects human company. Can Sophy's care heal her own heart as well as Jack's or will the past haunt them both?
The Silent House is an intriguing book. An old house, family secrets, physical and mental scarring, all combine to capture the imagination of the reader.
Sophy is a very likaeble lead character. Devoted to her daughters, betrayed by her husband, and trying to negotiate the change in circumstances while also grieving for the love and life that have been destroyed.
Jack is quite a mysterious character to begin with. Gruff and reclusive, desperately clinging to his independence after suffering severe injuries. However, his journal in part 2 of the book allows us to learn about his history and reveals secrets that have been hidden for years.
I enjoyed the multiple perspectives used in the narrative structure of the book. The inclusion of Sophy's daughter Isobel as one of the leads allowed us to step back from the events and see things through an alternative viewpoint. Most of us will identify with the struggles of being a teenager!
Overall The Silent House was an enjoyable mystery novel which had very relatable characters.
This book, originally titled, "The Tinderbox" was really very good.
I loved, Isobel! She was simply hilarious. The book kept me interested
through-out. The ending was totally different than what I expected, and it
was a great read getting to where it did. I think anyone would enjoy it.

Thank you so much, Laura Elliot, the publisher, and NetGalley, for the
chance to read and review this wonderful read!
An Ok novel.  Mostly well written but dragging in places.

Intriguing to begin but also in parts it drags. Clever storyline with a good opener.

Not one I would really read.  Not the best characters  and drawn it in places.
An atmospheric and haunting read.   A mix of mystery and intrigue with the authors usual twist and turns.  I read it in one afternoon and found it intriguing. Though I did see the conclusion coming it was still a very enjoyable read.
The Silent House, previously titled The Tinderbox by Laura Elliot is a well written mystery/thriller. The book starts off following the story of Sophy. Her whole world has been torn apart. Sophy's husband Luke had massive gambling debts and to pay off loan sharks they had to sell the family home and also Sophy's business, Kid Chic. With nowhere to live Sophy is handed a lifeline to become an in-house nurse for Jack Hyland, the owner of Hyland Hall and move in with her two daughters Isobel and Julie.

The story delves deeper and we learn about Jack and his nephew Victor. Jack is a recluse after a terrible fire almost took his life. He lives upstairs in the "Fear Zone" and won't let anyone see him except for a select few people. Victor lives nextdoor and his love interest with Sophy sparks or is that what we are meant to think? Strange things start happening at Hyland Hall. I don't want to give too much away.

The Silent House has a few twists and turns we all enjoy from psychological thrillers and I really enjoyed the ending of the book. It kept me wanting to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and kept me on my toes.

If you are after a good mystery/thriller I recommend reading The Silent House.

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advanced reader's copy in return for my honest review.
One of my absolute favorites of the year. It's a wonderful rendition of what a thriller novel should look and feel like by Laura Elliot.
The only issue if I'm being honest is the fact I downloaded an earlier copy and there's been a name change from the original title, "The Tinderbox." Same title different author also set me back a bit but we're on track now with a fab review.
This one starts off laying down the groundwork. It has an abundance of energy right out of the gate literally and figuratively.
The setting is at the Hyland Hall with the owner Jack Hyland a well known recluse as a fire victim.
He's also being tended too by Sophy our main character with a heart of gold and two daughters Isobel and Julie who always seem to get into things.
Marital issues are also in the mix with Luke and his gambling addiction that adds an extra flare for the setting was such a dark mysterious place and this kept things current and focused.
As if this wasn't enough we have a great dialogue going on with plenty of non stop heated action throughout this gem.
Victor is one to watch as he's the nephew of Jack with a mind all his own. Perhaps when he gets final word he'll cool his jets or it'll ignite a new fire within him.
Either way it's passionate, alarming, heated, and extremely moving to read as these characters are constantly set in motion.
The idea that nobody can live forever and the last will and testament may be part of the reason behind all the gloom and doom could be the temptress in this one.
However, we need not lose sight of the fact that not everyone may belong and in fact I wish I had that DNA kit as we speak because something not right in this one.
As if I can spill more beans... nope! Can't but look this is a winner so try it on and see what you think as you'll not be disappointed.
Just remember take one day at a time and don't get overwhelmed by it all.
Stress is never a good thing.
Love it ....
This book just didn’t do it for me. I almost gave up several times and kind of wish I had. Too much going it was confusing. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy in exchange for review.

2.5/5