Cover Image: The Silent House

The Silent House

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Bookouture for the e-ARC of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Laura Elliot is completely binge worthy! The Tinderbox was not my first read by Laura Elliot and it definitely won’t be my last.

With Imaginative details and eerie character building, The Tinderbox made for an easy read. Similar to previous novels, Elliot plays on a slow burn writing style to engross the reader right to the very end.
A gripping psychological thriller that'll keep you guessing as you turn the page. I honestly didn't see that kind of ending coming but it kept me reading until the wee hours of the night to find out what would happen next.

The story starts out a little slower paced as we follow Sophy who has no choice to but to take a job as a live-in nurse to Jack Hyland, sole owner of Hyland Hall. Sophy needs this job as her husband has an addiction that has lead them to sell everything they own including their house. Sophy moves her two daughters Isobel and Julie into a huge dark rundown mansion called Hyland Hall, where Jack who has recently survived a terrible fire has closed himself off in the upstairs and will not show himself to anyone other than Sophy and his nephew, Victor.

Told through Sophy and Isobel we get different takes on this "new adventure" Sophy has promised her girls. Sophy is trying to deal with the lies from her husband and pick herself up from her failed marriage. Isobel's side of the story is that of a teen just trying to find some light in this creepy old house with the top floor she nicknamed Fear Zone. She doesn't want to be here and is very afraid of Jack as she hasn't met him but can hear him moving around above them. Throw in a mannequin doll her younger sister, Julie, wont go anywhere without and it's definitely a creepy read.

I give this a 4 star review!
The Tinderbox is a psychological thriller by Laura Elliot. When Sophy marriage falls apart she accepts a job as a live in nurse to Jack Hyland. Sophy moves herself and her two daughters into Hyland Hall to take care of Jack, who was disfigured in a fire and now is a recluse. But she soon finds out he has lots of secrets he is keeping from her. This story started sort of slow but picks up the pace in the middle and end. I enjoyed this book thanks to Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Trying to leave behind a failing marriage and debt, Sophy takes a job as a live in nurse at Hyland Hall. Jack Hyland, owner of the mansion, is a grumpy old man with burns all over his body, and requires constant care. Giving Sophy and her daughters a place to live, to start over, couldnt have happened at a better time.
Some things are too good to be true. Jack has a hidden agenda, a secret reason for wanting Sophy's family to live with him. Secrets that can put her family in danger.

The Tinder Box is a captivating and consuming thriller. The book sucks you in immediately and pushes you to keep reading. The story reads a little like a VC Andrews family drama, with twistyness of a Ruth Ware thriller.

Laura Elliot did an amazing job writing the characters of this book. I loved Sophy and her daughters, Julie and Isobel. Julie is the show stealer with her odd choice in companion and her eccentric personality.
The slow build up of background for Jack was perfectly timed with the twist reveal in the second half of the book. Once the reader figures out what is really happening, the thrill aspect of the story explodes.

The book has a little bit of everything for everyone. Deciet, romance, revenge and dysfunctional family history, are all alive under the roof of Hyland Hall. This is my first Laura Elliot book, and won't be my last.
Strong psychological thriller with excellent characters. I highly recommend this book I was interested until the last page and eager to see what happens
Sophy’s marriage has fallen apart. Desperate to find a new start and a new home for her and her two daughters, she accepts a job at Hyland Hall as a live-in nurse for the reclusive owner. Jack Hyland is severely disfigured, the result of a fire that happened in the house years before. As she attempts to make the most of her situation, Sophy and her daughters unwittingly become embroiled in a tangle of danger and deception -  culminating in the unearthing of secrets that connect her to Jack and his family in ways she could never have imagined. A page-turning family saga with twists and reveals in the mysterious, atmospheric setting of a lakeside, crumbling mansion.
I felt this story had a bit of a Jane Eyre vibe to it, in terms of the main character becoming disfigured in the aftermath of a brutal fire and struggling to accept his fate. The story was thrilling and frightening at the same time, leaving me occasionally gasping in surprise.
This is a good, atmospheric mystery. I will say it isn’t my favorite of Ms Elliott’s but it’s a solid read. Besides the inevitable “bad guy (or gal)” you’ll be trying to identify, there are a couple other unknowns that are to be revealed. It wasn’t difficult to gather the answers to these questions which was a bit disappointing but I still enjoyed the book. 3.5 ⭐️
Great book especially in this lockdown stage. You really get involved quite quickly. Great characters and super plot. A modern day Gone with the wind type of book
With her marriage in ruins and facing the risk of being homeless, Sophy is offered the job of live-in nurse to elderly recluse Jack Hyland. With her daughters Isobel and Julie in tow, she takes up residence in decrepit Hyland Hall. Victor is Jack’s charming and charismatic nephew who sets his sights on Sophy, but Victor also has a dark side. When secrets of Jack’s past come to light, Sophy and her family’s lives will be put in jeopardy.

Very much a slow burner to start but it picked up mid-way through. An intriguing tale with good characters which was an enjoyable read.
Sophy had it all two daughters and a loving husband Luke until he gambled everything and left them with nothing so Sophie takes a job as a nurse at Hayland hall for  Jack but there was a fire the nephew thinks he should not be living there loads of secrets and lies this book is very good and quite emotional i so enjoyed and so  recommend
The Tinderbox by Laura Elliot had creepy character development. I read this book in one sitting. I liked the setting and the scenery descriptions. However, I'm not sure I would classify this as a mystery/thriller book, though there were hidden family secrets that kept my attention. Several parts had a slow burn feeling in the sense that it seemed to drag a bit.

I would rate this a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I will read more of Laura Elliot's work and check out other books.

#TheTinderbox #NetGalley
I found this book lacking in originality and the plot was both obvious and predictable with the exception of little Julie's strength. The characters while well written were for some reason difficult to relate to and overall it just wasn't for me. Sorry!
Thank you Netgalley for an advance copy.
A marriage destroyed, an unexpected job offer to take care of a old and wealthy recluse who is recovering from a fire accident which had left him disfigured. Sophy's kids trying to cope with the trauma of their parents separation, their fathers gambling addiction, their moving to a creepy and crumbling mansion, to a new school. The story has been told mainly in the form of three main characters, Sophy the mother, Isobel the eldest daughter and Jack, the old recluse, who through his journals trying to recollect the events before the fire.
The second part where secrets starts tumbling out has been very well written and it kept me hooked and I just had to finish it in one sitting to know how the entire story gets closed. The ending is more or less what is expected but it has been handled well and that's what counts.
Recommended read
This book kept my attention throughout.   Sophy's marriage is in pieces and she accepts a position taking care of wealthy and disabled Jack, owner of Hyland Hall.  Her husband had lost all the family's money with his secret life.
 Sophy moves in to Hyland Hall with her two daughters, Isobel and Julie.  Jack had been horribly disfigured in a fire at the stables and needs rehabilitation and care.  There are some terrible secrets  at Hyland Hall and mystery and drama ensues.

My favorite characters in the book were Jack and Luke.  I disliked the ventriloquist obsession Julie had.  Isobel was a strong character as well.  The plot of the story was absorbing and I think would appeal to many.  The story moved at a good pace and there was a lot happening in the second half of the book.

Thanks to Bookouture through Netgalley for an advance copy.
Touted as a mystery/thriller, The Tinderbox was a fun and somewhat captivating read, but  I’m not sure I would classify it as such.  I figured out very quickly who was going to be the bad guy. There was a mysterious element to it; a woman leaves her husband after his betrayal.  She takes a job playing nurse to a disabled and disfigured elderly man who lives in an equally disabled old house.  Along with her goes her two traumatized daughters, who are still coming to grips with their broken family.  She enters quickly into a relationship with her client’s charming nephew, who may be her way out of poverty and despair.  Of course, as mystery/thrillers go, things are not as they seem.

In the second half of the book, things pick up quickly, strange things occur, and truths are divulged.  Can a father’s love bring redemption and restore a family?  In the final moments, will a cat and a ventriloquist’s dummy save the day? What an ending.  I thank the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.  I gave it 3 ½ stars rounded up to four.  I do recommend; it was an enjoyable read. #netgalley #thetinderbox
This is a great read, though very much a slow burner. Well written and a good narrative throughout. I would recommend this one.
A novel about long-hidden family secrets and the mystery surrounding a disfigured recluse, “The Tinderbox”, by Laura Elliot (Bookouture), features a separated mother and her two daughters trying to adapt to a new life in a new place.
This story might be compelling and intense for others, but it didn’t really work for me. I found the writing style flat and dull, the pace often dragged on and I didn’t really connect with any of the characters; even the two girls and odd Cornelia…
The romantic plotline seemed contrived, with Sophy and Victor’s quick relationship; I enjoyed Luke’s redemption and the reconciliation much more.
2.5 stars.
Thanks NetGalley publisher and author for this copy.

I had a hard time putting this book down!
This book will keep you guessing till the very end.
Talk about an intense read!!!! This is it!
Not sure what I thought if this I liked it..  didnt love it. The characters were well built up it was just missing something for me to make it a great thriller. Still a good read.

Thanks to the Author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.