Cover Image: PHOTOGRAPHER,  PARATROOPER, POW

PHOTOGRAPHER, PARATROOPER, POW

This enthralling tale of the other side of modern warfare, that of the combat photographer who put himself into exposed frontline situations to record the ‘hot’ actions of both the allies and the enemy with little disregard to his own safety. That part of this story is interesting enough however, the POW element is a harrowing story in itself and for my part, became the most memorable part of the book. Anyone interested in WWll history really need to read this story to appreciate what the author went through because to try and summerise the events does not do justice to his own description of what he experienced.
If you want to be glued to a book to ‘find out what happened next’ this is the book for you.
this was a really beautifully done memoir, the story itself was beautifully done. I felt like I learnt so much about them and it was quite a journey.
This book contains some amazing images that evoke so many emotions. Highly recommended and would make a great gift.
I appreciate having had this chance to see all of the photos and stories. Wonderful compilation. I have read so many war stories and seen so many pictures of this time in history. Thank you M. Carroll for taking the time to gather it all into story form for the public.
This was a wonderful collection of stories and photographs that I have never seen before. I found them to be very powerful and interesting.
This book represents a major undertaking on 5he part of the author, covering in considerable detail as it does, aspects of American history from the early/mid 19th century to the end of the Second World War. This is, at once,  a strength and a weakness, particularly in the light of the title: a strength, in that the book unexpectedly covers in painstaking detail aspects of life from the American antebellum south, particularly  as it affected the lives of the family at the heart of this book; a weakness, however, for the reader who might have expected more detail of the life of the central figure, whose image appears on the cover. The book, however, made a considerable impression on this reader in a number of ways: in the first place it represents a considerable effort on the part of the author to research and collate such a volume of detail; and - more especially - the way it leads the reader to reflect on the demands and expectations placed on that ‘greatest generation’ who fought - and in far too many cases - were captured or killed in the effort to overcome the horrors inflicted by the Axis powers.
A 'lost' canister of photographs not developed until 2006... a POW... and a fascinating family history. This is a pretty incredible collection of stories, letters and photographs, woven together by M. Carroll. From Wyoming to Germany and back. Three brothers go to war, only two return. What a journey!

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Amazing.  Truly a case of a picture telling a thousand words.  Through these images, I felt a real sense for what life must have been like.  I hope books like this will keep a dark period in our history alive so we will not see it repeated.