Cover Image: Philosophy: From the Ancient Greeks to Great Thinkers of Modern Times

Philosophy: From the Ancient Greeks to Great Thinkers of Modern Times

I've always wanted to learn more about famous philosophers and this book worked well.  This is a great introduction to philosophy and many great thinkers over time.  It works well read in small doses and would be a great book for discussion with high school students or homeschoolers.

I read a digital ARC of this book via the publisher.
A very useful book for anyone who wants to get a broad understanding of the history of philosophy. it's a good grounding and offers a useful jumping off point for further study.
This is such an accessible and thought-provoking book for anyone who is looking for an introduction to schools of philosophy.  Many times, I feel that such introductions end up watering down great thinkers' ideas, to the point of them being incorrect.  This does not suffer from such a problem.

It can be read it order, or in a different one, depending on what your goal is.  Rooney does a great job including philosophers several times.  For instance, Heidegger is brought up with regards to both metaphysics and  epistemology, so readers won't pinhole each thinkers as belonging to a specific branch.

There are really great quotes sprinkled throughout each chapter, which helps readers really think about the words that are written, without having to digest pages of incomprehensible writing.  Furthermore, Rooney does a nice job with specific thought experiments, either ones created for the book, or significant ones from the literature.

I think this is a great source to use for teachers in the classroom, who are hoping to build student inquiry and help them critically think, but do so in a way that they can interact with ideas in a straightforward way.  It also is great if you are just interested in giving your mind a mental workout but don't know where to begin, or if you want to know what is so significant about names like Descartes or Socrates.
In this title’s introduction, Anne Rooney points out that philosophy is about the big questions in life. She notes that the kinds of issues that we grapple with today are, in many ways, the same as those that the ancient Greeks wrestled with. Over the centuries, beginning with the Greeks, philosophers have engaged with concepts related to being, justice, beauty, ethics, politics and more.

If you are a person who thinks about life’s deepest issues this book will be sure to engage you. The author’s style is readable and the topics that she covers are broad and interesting. Read with her as you think about whether there is a god, how should we live, what makes a good society and more.

I recommend reading this book slowly so that there is time to engage with the concepts and issues raised. It will be time well spent.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this title. All opinions are my own.