Cover Image: Murder at the Lakeside Library

Murder at the Lakeside Library

What a great story! It definitely held my interest. I loved Rain and Julia together. Don’t you just love when you reconnect with a friend and it’s like you saw each other yesterday instead of several years ago? The characters in this story are great. The setting is wonderful. Nothing like growing up on a lake. I can’t wait to see what happens next with some of these good folks. I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.
Murder at the Lakeside Library by Holly Danvers is the first book in A Lakeside Library Mystery.

I really liked the premise, lake and the library what more could you wish for. Unfortunately, it didn't reach my expectations.
The plot was ok, I generally liked the idea. I also appreciated that the murder happened very quickly.
Later on some of the police procedure was too much for me to believe it, but maybe that's how it is done in small places. And it is a cozy mystery after all.
I enjoyed main protagonist's friendship with the next door neighbor and their lovely banter.
There was a lot of descriptive writing and a lot of hand gestures, which for me were completely unnecessary and off putting.
Even though I liked the premise the whole story made me lose my interest soon after murder happened. It somehow seemed too polished and perfect even for a cozy. I skimmed a lot of it as I wanted to finish the book but didn't feel compelled to read everything and it wasn't absorbing enough for me.
All in all, not a bad start. Will see what happens in the next installment.
Murder At The Lakeside Library is the first book in the A Lakeside Library Mystery series by Holly Danvers.

Rain Wilmot has recently lost her husband in a motorcycle accident, sold their condo, and is going to the family’s lake-front property on Pine Lake in Lofty Pines, WI.for the summer.  Rain has fond memories as a child staying at the cabin, where her mother ran a library out of the original log cabin her grandfather constructed.

When Rain arrives and keeping to family tradition, she heads for the dock to look over the lake.  At the pier, she meets Julia, who lives in the cabin next door, with who she had been friends since childhood.  They hadn’t seen each other in years as Rain’s husband didn’t like going to the lake.

The first thing that Julia poses to Rain: is she going to open the library.  The library hadn’t come to mind.  With her mother and father working outside of the country this summer, Rain was looking forward to relaxing and dealing with her husband’s loss and infidelity.  Rain remembers the good times she experienced with the library and, after finding a note from her mother urging her to open the library, she agrees to continue its operation.  Retired school teacher, Marjorie, comes to help open the library.  First, Marjorie has some books to donate.  As Rain goes to carry the books, Marjorie’s dog Rex goes off exploring, and Margorie goes to find Rex, but instead, she finds a dead body.  The body is that of Thornton Hughes.  When Rain learns the town gossip is that her mother knew him really well, she feels compelled to clear her mother’s name.  To make matters worse for Rain, the hardware store owner in town claims to have seen her father in the city.  In addition, she will learn about some family secrets.

This book is an exciting start to a new series.  The book is well-written and contained plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing until the end as to who the killer was.  The characters are interesting and believable.  I would like to learn more about the community of Lofty Pines and the residents of Pine Lake.

The book also includes a delicious-sounding recipe.

I’m looking forward to the next book in the series, Long Overdue At The Lakeside Library, due out February 8, 2022.
This was just awful and really not for me. You know it is bad when you are taking notes on what bugs you and you are on point 12 by chapter 5 [and I was going to add them here, but they just got to be too many and it just wasn't worth it]!! I did not enjoy this at all [the one star is simply because I was enchanted by the aspect of a little lake library] and am dreading the second one [though I have been surprised before by second books so here's hoping]. I really cannot recommend this to anyone. It is disjointed and upsetting, the writing and character development is really poor and the reveal was extremely anticlimactic; overall, it just was not a good book for me.

Thank you to NetGalley, Holly Danvers, and Crooked Lane Books for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Murder at the Lakeside Library is the first book in the Lakeside Library Mystery series by Holly Danvers.

Rain is recently widowed and heads to her family’s home on the lake to get away when she finds she will need to open the little library they have on their property for the community.

I couldn’t put this book down.   The location reminded me of summer vacations to northern Wisconsin.  I like Rain and Julia and their friendship as well as Marge and her dog.  There were times were there was more talk than action, but I expect that in the first book of a series.  The mystery was interesting and there were some surprising twists at the end.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the free copy of this book and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
Following the death of her husband, Rain Wilmot gives up her big city life to return to her family's vacation cabin in Lofty Pines, Wisconsin. It has been a long time since Rain has stayed at the family vacation cabin. She didn't know that her mother has been running a small library out of the original part of the cabin. She also didn't know about the man her mother is rumored to be having and affair with. The man whose body is found near the cabin a short time after she arrives. Her parents are suspects in the killing but they are out of the country for the summer. So who was the killer?

This is the first book in Holly Danvers a lakeside Library mystery. I'm glad that I already got the next book in the series courtesy of Netgalley. This book would make a great mystery movie.

I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher and/or author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rain is at a crossroads in her life after the loss of her husband. Should she stay in her corporate job or return home to Lofty Pine, Wisconsin? The choice made, she goes home to the shelter of a cabin by the lake. It includes a library managed by her mother, Willow. Rain's childhood friend Julia encourages her to get it reopened. What she finds is a dead man on the property. If that isn't bad enough, the police focus on her mother as the prime suspect because it has been rumored that she was in a relationship with him. Well Rain has no choice but to track down the killer in true cozy fashion.
There are some weak spots in this debut mystery but nothing that were a big deal. A first in series has to set up the foundation for future books and by the end of this book I was looking forward to reading the next in the series. It's a nice addition to the cozy genre.
My thanks to the publisher Crooked Lane and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
I found Murder at the Lakeside Library an entertaining cozy read. It is the first book in a new series called A Lakeside Library Mystery and it shows great promise. I look forward to reading more in this series.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for my ARC.
Murder at the Lakeside Library has Rain and company finding a dead body the day Rain arrives at her family’s lakeside cabin. Rain decides she must investigate.
This is the first Lakeside Library Mystery. It has all the elements of a cozy mystery. And I would say it’s well enough written. I simply never really connected with Rain. It never felt like the actions she took were a natural extension of who she was.
The setting in the north woods of Wisconsin on a lake was good. Bring in a summer library for the people on the lake. Have a heroine who has experienced personal tragedy - check. Have cool transportation like a pontoon boat - check. Add in several motives - money, family secrets, unwanted real estate development- all to obscure the reason someone is deceased - check. Give the heroine a sidekick or two, in this case an old friend who is a teacher and is sporting pink hair and uses colorful phrases instead of cursing - check. The reveal at the end felt like it was meant to tie things with a tidy bow.
It has the elements, they just didn’t flow for me into a story I can be enthusiastic enough to give more than 3 stars. It’s a good start but not a great one.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review this book prior to publication.
This is the first in a brand-new series.  Rain Wilmont returns to Lofty Pines Wisconsin which is her family’s summer home and she is there to get over the death of her husband Max.  The minute she arrives she is met by her childhood friend Julia who sees her arrive.  They begin to catch up and Rain learns that her Mother Willow has planned to open up the Lakeside Library which is adjacent to the family cabin and that Rain will need to run it during the summer.  Julia tells her there is even a meeting that night to discuss the opening which is traditionally done right at the Memorial Day weekend.  Rain is furious with her mother but cannot get a hold of her as she is on a humanitarian trip to Africa and when she goes into the library, she finds a letter addressed to her from her mother.  Rain agrees to host the meeting that night and after a quick shower while her friend Julia sets up Marge the next library volunteer arrives but they are halted when Marge’s dog Rex takes off and Julia and Rain hear Marge scream.  They rush to the old school outhouse only to discover a dead body of a local real estate developer Thornton Hughes.  The police arrive including Jace who is Julia’s brother and back in Lofty Pines as a police officer.  Rain is shocked to learn that the local gossip linked Thornton with her Mother Willow.  Rain is also surprised when someone says that they saw her father who she thinks is in Japan.  She is unable to get a hold of either of her parents, so Rain is trying to learn more about the victim and who would want him dead.  I really enjoyed this mystery and the setting on the lake and lakeside community.  Anyone in the Midwest will understand the summer on the Lakes!  The dynamic of Rain with her longtime childhood friends and how they just fit back into the friendship and how they looked after her and lots of good dynamics in the family for lots of future entertainment as well.  Can’t wait to meet the parents in a future installment, I hope.  Looking forward to the next in this series.
2.5★s

Rain Wilmont sold her home in Milwaukee and headed for the family cabin in Lofty Pines, Wisconsin, for some peace and relief from her grief and anger. She had only just arrived when she spotted Julia, her long-time friend, who lived in the cabin next door with her husband Nick. But it was when Marge arrived with books for the library which was set up inside Rain’s cabin that shock hit them all. A dead body was found behind the cabin, and it wasn’t long before Julia’s brother, Jace, the local policeman, arrived.

As Julia and Rain did their best to investigate the situation, Jace refused to fill them in on the case. There were too many angles and Rain was determined to discover why her family was implicated, but with past secrets coming to light, the confusion was high. Would they find the killer?

Murder at the Lakeside Library is the 1st in A Lakeside Library Mystery by Holly Danvers, and I was disappointed in it. Rambling and repetitious, the writing seemed immature. I loved the library idea, attached to the cabin, the old and new books, the way it ran each summer for the locals and tourists alike. But there was not a lot of focus on the murder mystery and the ending seemed rather flat. I’m really hoping #2 is a lot better as I already have it on my kindle.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
After suffering a tragedy Rain has decided to spend some recovery time at a lakeside cabin that has been in her family for years. She quickly reconnects with a childhood friend and soon finds she will need her support in unraveling a family secret and a murder.

I liked Rain's friend Julia who is both supportive and fun but sometimes the dialogue between the two was a bit choppy. Overall it is a good mystery that will leave you wanting a friend like Julia. Thanks to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for an ARC. The opinions expressed are my own.
I will leave a review on Amazon or B&N on July 13

Murder at the Lakeside Library is the first book in a brand new cozy series by Holly Danvers. I really enjoyed this book, which was my first written by this author. The storyline was able to pull me in from the first couple pages, and I was able to finish it in only a few hours. I have always wanted to place on a lake, in a secluded area without a lot of tourist. I loved the concept of having a small lending library out of one of the homes located there, where else would those that love reading be able to find a good book to curl up with. Poor Rain has so many battered emotions, and then to head back to the place she loved spending her childhood those emotions are only made worse. I did enjoy the interaction between her and Jace and hope to see more of that interaction hopefully in future books in the series. I would certainly recommend this book to those that enjoy cozies.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher Crooked Lane Books, all opinions expressed here are my own.
This is the first book in the Lakeside library series.  Rain Wilmont returns to her family's summer cabin in Lofty Pines, Wisconsin after her husband, Max, dies.  Rain realizes that her mother left her to run the towns library by herself.  As she prepares to reopen, she finds the body of Thornton Hughes near her cabin.  Found near the body is a copy of Rain's grandfathers rare edition book.   This naturally makes Rain curious and she and her friend Julia investigate.

What I liked about this book was that it felt natural that the characters investigated.  They didn't try to do the job of the police and had a good relationship with the detective.  I really liked the characters and the setting.  I love that even though so much time has passed that Rain and Julia can pick up their friendship right where it left off.  The murder was okay.  I didn't figure out who the killer was and I kind of felt like it wrapped up too quickly.  Overall this was a great start to a series.  I received this book from netgalley and Penguin random house publishing in exchange for an honest review.
This is the beginning of a new cozy mystery series set in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.  The titular library is in a cabin on the property of Rain  Wilmot's family and is only open in the summer, run by volunteers and filled with donated books.  The library is not a main part of the mystery, which is disappointing for those of us interested in little, unique libraries.  The apparent murder of an unknown man on her property turns Rain, and her friend Julia, into amateur detectives.  The setting is beautiful and the library is promising but the two women became a bit annoying.  Hopefully, the second volume coming next year will be better.  Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for providing an ARC.
Murder at the Lakeside Library by Holly Danvers is the 1st book in A Lakeside Library cozy mystery series, and it's off to a great start.  Rain Wilmont returned to Lofty Pines, Wisconsin after the sudden death of her husband.  Rain's family opens up their library ever summer, so Rain and her friend are busy getting it ready.  Unfortunately the women find a dead body outside by the outhouse, which delays the opening.  I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, I enjoy the characters, and the book is well written.  I highly recommend this cozy mystery.
The setting sounded like a really fun place, and I liked the whole premise of a small library in a lakeside mostly-vacation town, but somehow the characters just didn't do much for me. Some of their dialogue sounded like they were high school or college age kids when they were actually thirty-something professional people. I have to give some praise for the awesome cover of this book. It really does depict a place that's relaxing and somewhere I'd like to visit and read.

The history of the library and the book that Rain's grandfather wrote was cool as was the twist at the end, but the mystery itself just seemed to drag on and on without much hope, and I honestly found myself skimming over some of the meaningless dialogue and descriptions. The descriptions of the lake and homes were fine, but sometimes other descriptions and text ran on and on. I really hope the next book is better, because I did commit to reading that as an ARC as well before I'd even gotten into this one.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, and my opinions are my own
Murder at the Lakeside Library the first book in the new cozy series, “A Lakeside Library Mystery.”  Rain is recently widowed, and she is having trouble getting through the grief and anger. Her husband had cheated on her while they were trying to have a baby just before he died, and she can’t deal with his death, work, and everything else. She sets off to hide out at her family’s lakeside cabin and library in Wisconsin. She reconnects with her childhood friend, Julia, immediately, and some of the older neighbors. But unexpectedly comes across a body near the old outhouse on her first day.

The few characters that are in this book are interesting but have room for much-needed growth. The location of a lakeside cabin that also has a library open to the public sounds lovely. The victim is known in the town of Lofty Pines but not well-liked. He has secrets, and small towns are famous for not allowing people to keep secrets for very long. Rain and Julia decide it is up to them to solve the murder, even though Julia’s brother is in charge of the investigation. There is a fair amount of action throughout the story, twists and turns, and suspects with motives. They do uncover the killer but almost get themselves hurt in the process.

In general, I found this book filled with too much introspection, with not enough background to tell the reader who the characters are or what part they will play in future books. Rain seems to be a bit immature in her way of looking at life, and her difficulties stem a great deal from her inability to express her feelings and learn to handle her issues.  The investigation was minimal as far as the police side; why wouldn’t the cabin and library, and even the lake surrounding Rain’s property be sealed off until the police finished their investigation? The killer just didn’t work for me or the motive. I did not like that this story set up a possible love interest for Rain, which is far too soon in the series or with the character’s initial situation.

The lakeside location and library are great for this first book, and there is a town, but it isn’t described in enough detail to make any buildings or businesses stand out or add intrigue for future volumes, and using the library and the lake as the focus makes you wonder where the author can go with such a limited setting. Murder at the Lakeside Library is not a terrible start for a new series, and it has potential, but it will need to grow considerably in the next volume to keep readers interested.
This is a first in a series cozy mystery.  Rain has returned to her family’s lake home to recover from the death of her husband. Unfortunately on the first day, a body is found on her property. And to top it off, the rumor mill says he was having an affair with Rain’s mother. Rain’s old friend and pink-haired neighbor Julia is on the scene and is great moral support.

I enjoyed the book and would have enjoyed it more if it was more concise. But it’s the great start to a series with a perfect location.
Nice cozy mystery! This is a new-to-me author and the start of a brand new series. I thought it was a promising start. Sometimes the first books in the series aren't my favorite because there's so many characters to introduce and backstory to fill in. I still found it entertaining and look forward to reading more in this series.