Cover Image: Murder at the Lakeside Library

Murder at the Lakeside Library

I haven’t read a cozy mystery in a while and it was great to reconnect with that genre.

It took me too longer read at the beginning for personal reasons and not because I wasn’t liking the book, under normal circumstances I would have binge read it.
All in all I’ve finished reading it and loved it!  Great debut cozy serie.  4⭐️

After a tragedy, Rain decides to go to her family’s cottage at Lakeside to be by herself during the hard times.  Little did she know, she would have to take care of the Library her family open every Summer, or that a body would turn up on her property.  Looks like the Summer will not be as quiet as she planed on.

Murder at the Lakeside Library by Holly Danvers will be out on July 13, 2021

Thanks you @netgalley and crooked lane books for the ARC for an honest opinion.  Can’t wait for the next book in the serie
Murder at the Lakeside Library is the first book in a new library cozy mystery series by Holly Danvers. Due out 13th July 2021 from Crooked Lane Books, it's 336 pages and will be available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links and references throughout. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

It's always fun to find a new library cozy, and this one is off to a promising start. Protagonist Rain has only been at the lakeside summer cabin community less than 24 hours before she stumbles (almost literally) across a body. The usual pool of small-town-oddball characters are present, there's skullduggery and hidden motives to be unearthed, there's even a handsome law enforcement officer, and Rain is motivated to establish her parents' innocence, as well as her own.

Some of the plot developments are admittedly a bit over the top and there are some twists which require a healthy suspension of disbelief, but all in all, it's a pretty good example of why the librarian cozy subgenre is so popular. I found the denouement and explanation out of sync with the majority of the rest of the novel and there were a few continuity problems, but nothing truly egregious. The language is squeaky clean and the violence is off-page and not graphic.

Three and a half stars. This would be a good light summer read for fans of cozies. It would be perfectly safe for work/commute reading. I'm interested to see what comes next for Rain and co.

An easy to read cozy mystery debut set at a lake in the North, with a library which sadly doesn´t appear much.

The main character Rain returns to her family´s lakeside library after having lost her husband, and doesn´t only find friends from childhood and other "Lakers", but also a body on her property. Her friend Julia helps to follow several tracks to the murder, though the police are the ones who puzzle the thing together, among them Jace, which whom Rain develps a good relationship.

The setting is nice and summery, and the non-mystery story about love, friendship and family is well written, but the mystery isn´t the main point. There are too many unnecessary descriptions and too many suspects, but the twists and turns lead to an end that´s not really relatable. A chance to develop more in this series.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for a free ebook in return for an honest review.
Newly widowed Rain is back to her family lakeside cabin, where she used to spend her summers, to get some peace away from her corporate job. But getting in touch with her old friends isn't gonna be all the fun in this story, because not long after she arrives there is a body found at her's family property, and Rain doesn't know who the man is. When she and her friend Julia start to investigate who the man was. And who is his killer?

This book is a good pick for a light summer read. The place- lakeside cottage (with a library nonetheless) is the perfect spot for this cozy mystery and there are some surprises in the twist of this story. Even though at some parts the book seems to have some unnecessary dialogue and descriptions one can still find it highly enjoyable.

Thank you to the author Holly Danvers, publisher Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for this free e-book.
What a debut! I loved everything about this book!

The characters were all brilliantly introduced. I loved Rain's character and how humble and honest the author portrayed her to be. Her developing friendships, with old and new friends alike, was heartwarming and fun to see. The plotline was excellent and had me guessing until the very end. The descriptiveness had me feeling like I was lakeside, sipping some iced tea watching everything unfold around me.

I had a hard time putting this book down once I got started. This is one book cozy mystery fans should add to their to-be-read stacks this summer.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for an early copy of this book in exchange for my review!
Murder at the Lakeside Library by Holly Danvers is more than just a mystery. It's a story about loss, family, family history and secrets and a mysterious death of a newcomer to Lofty Pines, Wisconsin.

The story is smoothly paced with family secrets that provide many of the twists, very few suspects with motivations to murder the victim, an idyllic setting along a beautiful lake and strong characters who are developing organically throughout the book. A strong beginning to a new series.
This is the first book in this series.

Rain has just moved back to Loft Pines, Wisconsin after the death of her husband.
She was looking for some peace and quiet, instead she finds a Thornton Hugues the real estate buyer on her property dead.

Everyone is pointing fingers at Willow her mother and someone spotted her father who is supposed  to be in Japan.  It’s up to Rain and her friends to figure out what Thornton was up to and why they wanted him dead.

It’s a great first read, and I can’t wait for the next book in this series.
This was a very good debut and a great start to a new series. I like the characters and feel they have great potential to develop further. There are plenty of twists and turns with wit sprinkled throughout.
Many thanks to Crooked Lane Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
This book is the first in a new series (I always love being introduced to new settings, characters, murders, etc.) and is a quick, fun read.

Rain is a great character with her own past to contend with as she ventures home to the Northwoods for the first time in a long time. Her quirky, pink-haired friend, Julia, always has her back and is very loyal to Rain. When they stumble upon a dead body on Rain's property, they decide they need to find the killer ASAP.

Of course, there is a hunky lawman who is in charge of the murder (*gasp*) investigation and there are minimal sparks between him and Rain, but I'm hoping for more as the series continues.

4 stars.

I voluntarily reviewed this book on Netgalley.
I really loved this book.  Lofty Pines reminded me very much of my cousin's place at Sand Lake, NY.  The characters were perfect for the story.  I liked the way the author introduced each character into the story. Loved the two main characters, Rain and Julia and their friendship from childhood.  The storyline kept the reader involved in the suspense  with all the twists and turns until the ending which I thought was a nice way to end the book with enough openings to continue the story.  I would certainly recommend reading this book. Holly Danvers did a great job with the first of the series.  I look forward to watching the relationship between Rain and Jace develop as well as what the two friends will get themselves into next.

Thanking you NetGallery and Crooked Lane Books for this ARC.
Murder at the Lakeside Library is the first book in the new Lakeside Library Mystery series by author Holly Danvers.  I was drawn to this book because it was set in the midwest and I like the idea of a lakeside library located inside the protagonist's family home. I really wanted to like this book more than I did, but to be honest, struggled to finish this book.  I loved the location and the idea of the library where you could sit on the deck and read by the lake.  The characters were okay but I didn't feel drawn to them which always makes it hard for me to connect with the story.  At times, I felt that the plot was slowed by too much filler and too many descriptions of what people were doing with their hands, and internal dialogue that felt irrelevant.    I'll admit I did skim parts just so that I could finish the book.  I wanted to like this book but honestly, I just don't think this series is for me, and that's okay.

I received an advanced reader copy provided to me by the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, through NetGalley.  All opinions and thoughts are my own.
I really loved the setting - a lakeside library filled with first edition copies of an author (who had previously owned the cabin) sounds exciting. I liked the characters' backstory - Rain especially. The mystery behind the murder was interesting. Having said that, I had trouble following the dialogs - at times, they were too simple or TMI. Overall, this was an okay read. I will be waiting to read the next book of this series.
I was given a free e-copy of this novel by NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

This is most definitely a summer cozy mystery. Newly widowed Rain returns to her family's lakeside cottage where she encounters old friends, the familiar on property library, and murder. The discovery of a complete stranger on her family's property prompts Rain, and her best friend Julia, to investigate why he was there, and how he is connected to Rain's mother, Willow.

I adored the renewal of friendship between Rain and Julia. I wish there had been more interaction with a few other characters that would put Rain more at ease with her circumstances. I think the blossoming friendship with Julia's brother,Jace is curious, and I am eager to see where Holly Danvers goes with them. However, I wish there had been more involvement with Rain's parents, Willow and Stuart. Especially since they were mentioned so much throughout the novel. It just felt like something was missing.

There were cringe worthy moments when it came to police procedure, but I don't think it detracted in any way from the novel. What ultimately made me lose interest was how Rain and Julia were both kind of flighty with their own personal safety. Anyone who has been on water knows various ways to maintain contact in case something should happen. The fact that, at one point, both ladies leave their cell phones behind before setting off on their boat just made the situation feel unrealistic.

The mystery itself was not bad, in my opinion, but it did feel slightly off balance. I'm not sure if it was how quickly Rain came to certain conclusions that I felt were oddly placed, or if it was very fast but anticlimactic ending. Again I wish there had been a little something more.

It was a good read, and the lake location did bring back many memories for me. Some that I am still making even as an adult. It was light, cozy, and perfect for the summer time.

Overall I rate this novel 3 out of 5 stars.
I love a good cozy mystery and this book did not disappoint! I enjoyed the characters and would love to hang out at the Lakeside Library! Can’t wait to read the next one!

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read and review this book!
Rain returns to her family's lakeside cottage after the death of her husband, only to be greeted by an influx of old summer friends, the opening of an on-site library, and... the body of a murdered man! Rain sets out with her friend Julia to solve the mystery of who murdered the man and why, as she does with all cozy mysteries. The first in a series set in the fictitious town of Lofty Pines, this is the first installment.
This story had lots of unexpected twists and turns, as well as a dash of satire thrown in for good measure, which are qualities I look for in a good cozy mystery. The lead characters, an adorable cocker spaniel pet, and the murder mystery all appealed to me, and I eagerly await the next installment.
The characters have a lot of depth to them. Rain and Julia's relationship was rekindled, which I enjoyed. It's amazing how old mates, even though they haven't seen each other in a long time, can reconnect and feel as connected as they did before. The storyline was good; it wasn't one of those that I couldn't put down, but it held my attention. Overall, I had a good time reading it.
The dialogue could have been easier if there had been less time spent explaining characters using hand motions while chatting or tossing objects to each other during conversations; the plot would have been fine without it and the flow would have been better.
There were a few instances of police procedure that made me cringe, but overall, it was a pleasant experience. However, the ending clarification of the motivation had a glaring flaw for me and didn't make sense, so the plot's outcome was unfortunate.
Not as exciting as I expected, but it was intriguing nonetheless. Rain and Julia, best friends, who have been reunited after a long spell apart, found themselves involved in a mysterious murder. This mystery triggered their curiosity, and sleuthing abilities, landing them at odds with the law. It was interesting but not very captivating. It makes a mild afternoon tea read.
I love cozy mysteries, and this was a delightful debute that filled me with all the cozy feelings.

I loved the characters. I found them to all be likeable and can't wait to learn more about them! The atmosphere was absolutely amazing. I want to escape to Northwoods and experience all that's there. And of course the mystery. The mystery was fun and twisty, I loved all the layers and how it all unfolded.

I am excited for more of this series. I was left with warm, cozy feelings and a need to find out more about this delightful community.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book.
Murder at the Lakeside Library is too amateurish to even consider rating it favorably for a high school magazine entry, much less a novel for adults. "Honey Bunch Goes to Toy Town "was more sophisticated and much more competently written..
I think this book suffers a bit because I read it shortly after a different and absolutely wonderful cozy. In comparison, this just felt very bland. I didn't really get to know any of the characters outside of Rain and her friend Julie - and a great cast of characters is key to a good cozy mystery in my opinion. The mystery was interesting and had twists I didn't predict, but I found myself unable to get particularly invested in the Lakers. While totally fine, I doubt I'll pick up the next in the series.
What do you do when your life falls apart?  You go to your family's cabin.  After losing someone close Rain returns to the family cabin to get away and heal.  Unknown to her is a dead body on the property with people pointing fingers at her.  Rain decides she is going to solve the crime herself with a cast of characters that are loveable.  This is a first in a series and it is a fun quick read.