Cover Image: Murder at the Lakeside Library

Murder at the Lakeside Library

Review posted on Goodreads, Amazon, and Facebook.  The review is also posted in my library for patrons.
This was a cute, comforting read, a debut entry in a new cozy series. Rain has lost her husband and decided to spend some time at her family’s lakefront home. She needs some time to relax and grieve and deal with her conflicting emotions around her husband, but cascading, murder-y, events quickly make this impossible. Rain has no sooner pulled into the driveway of her family’s lake house when she runs into her childhood best friend who tells her that her mother had transformed part of their home into a lending library—Rain finds out that this is part of her mother’s plan to help her in her grieving process. Then, they find a body and things happen even faster  from that point forward.

Rain and Julia and the Lakers try to figure out why this man was killed on her property. There are mishaps, an interesting and homespun cast of characters, potential for romance later in the series.

Ultimately this was a decently written, nice mystery. It wasn’t utterly compelling, but it was entertaining and Rain was an empathetic character.
I was a bit disappointed in this book. I really liked the set-up, basically the first half of the novel. The characters were nice and the setting great for a mystery, an isolated lakeside community with insiders and outsiders and interesting class dynamics. But all that was thrown away in the second half when the characters proceeded to make more and more stupid decisions (like confronting a murderer on their own when they really didn't need to) and their conversations became more and more repetitive. The writing on the sentence level is also really clunky and awkward. Lovely descriptions of nature though.
A cozy, easy-read mystery, this book was a good read!  Follow Rain and Julia as they get deeply involved in a murder investigation. They can’t stop themselves from meddling in the investigation.
A great debut cozy that flows steadily along and is absorbing. The lakeside setting of Pine Lake, WI sounds lovely and relaxing. Widow, Rain Wilmot returns to the family’s summer cabin hoping for some peace and quiet to heal her battered emotions. Opening up the part of the house that was turned into a library for the locals to use isn’t on her bucket list; however, with her friend Julia’s help, Rain agrees to try.

Things rapidly shift into high gear when a lifeless body is discovered a few feet away from the cabin! Shockingly, a rare edition of a book written by Rain’s grandfather, Luis, lays near the corpse. Julia’s handsome brother, Jace; a lawman, does everything he can to catch the culprit and protect Rain and Julia, who tend to be snoops.

I found this story filled with plenty of surprise twists and turns and a splash of humor here and there; which are characteristics I look for in a great cozy mystery. I enjoyed the main characters, a cute cocker spaniel pet, and the murder mystery, and look forward to the next story.

I honestly reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books. All opinions are my own. Thank you.
After losing her husband, Rain moves back to the small lakefront community her family has summered at for years. She hopes to come to grips with the loss and reconnect with friends she's lost touch with. Her plans are immediately disrupted when the body of a man she doesn't know is found near an old outhouse on the property.

When one of Rain's relatives comes under suspicion of the murder she and her friends are determined to find out who the real culprit is. I liked the setting and the description of the close-knit community. There are some interesting characters and a mystery within a mystery when a hidden birth certificate comes to light.

The book is an easy read and there are some plot twists and surprises along the way. At times, Rain and her friend exhibit some risky behavior that would be far fetched in real life, but fans of cozy mysteries will enjoy the book.
Murder at the Lakeside Library is a quick read. Dealing with the death of her husband and her parents' separation, Rain travels to her family's cabin. Shortly after arriving she discovers a dead body by the outhouse.

A good part of the plot was spent on Rain's coming to terms with her husband's death, her parents absence and reconnecting with old friends.  Rain and her friend Julia worked together to solve the mystery, along with Julia's policeman brother.   This is a cozy mystery, nice, light reading, perfect for a trip or mental break.
Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed the setting in a lake community in Wisconsin and liked that the murder happened immediately with the rest of the story dealing with finding the motive and the murderer. I thought it was unusual that two of the characters were talked about a lot, the main characters mom and dad, but never actually appeared in person during the timeframe of the story, even though it took place at their lakeside cabin. The story had an abundance of unnecessary details, description, and repetitious dialogue. Some of the descriptions seemed very childish and out of context, such as “he moved like a sloth from South America” and another one “he’ll open up like a flower.” These had absolutely nothing to do with the storyline, the characters, or the age group (all 30+) of people in the story. It almost seemed as if the author was using fillers like these to just add to the word count of the book. The actual plot was pretty good for a cozy and there was a twist or two at the end that was interesting.
If you are really into cozies, you might enjoy this one, but it was just not one of my favorites.
Libraries is one of my favorite cozy settings, and this one was a lot of fun. Great atmosphere and mystery, with twists to keep it interesting while containing enough clues to keep the reader along the right track.
I really loved this first book in a new to my series and author. I can't wait to read the next one. The characters and location really add to the plot. This book keeps you guessing until the end.
A Nancy Drew mystery for adults. I want a lakeside cabin. A quick summer read. ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.
This was a really cute story! The friendship between Rain and Julia was endearing, charming and quirky. The tight-knit community was heart warming and typical of small town communities that I know, so was very relatable. The story line was a little choppy, but overall a fun mystery! Loved the bookish/library theme and really looking forward to reading more of the author’s books.
I enjoyed the first book in the Lakeside mystery series. The characters are smart and refreshing. Rain comes back to her family’s cabin after the death of her husband to regroup and grieve. Three generations of her family have used this location and set up a seasonal Library for the local community of “Lakers”. When Rain’s guest discovers a dead body by the outhouse, a mystery unfolds like no other pulling Rain out of her shell and into the community to solve it and clear her father’s name.

I think I particularly enjoyed this book because my own family has a seasonal home in the Poconos that is reminiscent of the Lake Pine community. I am looking forward to other books in this series. Great start.
Murder at the Lakeside Library was an enjoyable read. Rain was dealing with the death of her husband and her parents' separation when she traveled to her family's cabin. When she gets there, she discovers a dead body by the outhouse.

A good part of the plot was spent on Rain's coming to terms with the recent events in her life. The mystery was there and Rain and her friend Julia did some sleuthing, but for the most part, it seemed the clues came as Rain was trying to figure out family issues.

This was a decent cozy mystery. I was not highly invested in it, but found it entertaining. I will likely read the next book in the series.
When her husband dies, Rain Wilmot leaves Milwaukee and moves to the family cabin at Lofty Pines in the Northwoods. She meets up with her friend Julia and husband Nick, neighbors at Pine Lake.  Rain had only been there one day when a body was discovered on her property and the murdered man had ties to Rain's mother.  Julia's brother, Jace, is in charge of the police there and begins investigating. When new facts come to light about Rain's family and suspicious people prowl around her cabin, she starts her own investigations.
A cozy mystery, in a pleasant setting with characters that are well developed and everything is tied up nicely at the end.
Thank you for this e-copy of "Murder at the Lakeside Library".
http://www.sholee.net/2020/12/The first half was quite a breeze to read through as it's uneventful until the second half kicked in with more action thrown into the frenzy. With the plot twist towards the end, it sure made the story worthwhile with that unexpected ending. Overall, an easy read to fill the Christmas and New Year holiday gap!

I've enjoyed how the two best friends finally reconnected with the murder bringing both of them closer. The adventure they got into trying to solve the murder mystery was quite uplifting but it wasn't the hype for me. It just fell short on adrenaline with the characters didn't quite connect to me at times. Maybe I was expecting more since it's themed with 'library'.mpov-murder-at-lakeside-library.html
I thought this books was a good first in a series book. While the storyline was similar to many cozy beginnings, the author gave a different feel by having her come to a summer like home! The Lakers were a cast of characters that were like able and will be interesting to encounter in future novels! I’d recommend this book, and I’d be happy to read the next installment!
Murder at the Lakeside Library is the first in a new cozy mystery series. Rain Wilmot has just returned to her family's waterfront log cabin in Lofty Pines, Wisconsin after the untimely death of her husband. The cabin is peaceful compared to Rain's corporate job and comes with an informal library that Rain's mother, Willow, used to run. But as Rain prepares for the re-opening of the library, all hopes for a peaceful life are shattered when she discovers a body.

I enjoyed this book. The crime happened almost immediately, there are two plucky heroines, a library with secrets, and a beautiful setting.

The story did drag in some places and there was an over abundance of descriptions about people’s hands. That could have been better used developing the MO a little more and introducing some more suspects. But, as it’s the first book in the series, I expect things will improve as it moves along. I look forward to seeing what book 2 has in store for Rain, Julia, and the rest of the Lakers!

DISCLAIMER: I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
interesting addition to the cozy mystery genre. Rain returns to her family home, hoping to heal after the loss of her husband.
Upon her arrival, she finds the residents eager for her to open the small library her family owns, but unfortunately, she also finds a dead body, which leads to a whirlwind investigation.
This book was very engaging and fun to read.  The characters were personable and believeable.  The plot was well thought out.  The character of Rain was complex, and her humility was displayed throughout the book.  I highly recommend this book to other cozy mystery readers and look forward to more books by this author.