Cover Image: Murder at the Lakeside Library

Murder at the Lakeside Library

Recent widow Rain moves in to her family's lake side cabin to take time to recover and start over. When someone is murdered on the property, she finds herself involved in the investigation with her childhood friend Julia.
There were so many things I enjoyed about this series starter. The location felt as if you were on summer vacation. Boats on the lake, sunburns and barbeques.
At times it felt as if elements of the mystery overshadowed parts of the story I would have preferred spending more time on, such as Rain's family issues, the loss of a husband she both misses and resents, and opening the seasonal library that operates out of her new home.
Hopefully I'll get more answers as the series continues. #netgalley #MurderAtTheLakesideLibrary

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book. The opinions in the review are my own.
The first in Holly Danvers' A Lakeside Library Mystery series was a mixed bag for me.  There were too many unanswered questions, with over the top angst attached to those questions.  The dialogue at times was infantile, certainly uneven.  The setting was lovely and the idea of a cabin library intriguing, however the promise was not fulfilled in the execution.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Sweet little cozy mystery based in Pine Lake, Wisconsin. I loved following Rain and her Lakeside friends get together to solve the murder in the story. I felt like I was part of the plot working along with the characters enjoying their time at the lake, finding clues, and solving the mystery,  Highly recommend this to all mystery and lakeside fans.
A library mystery series is one of my favorite to read.

Witty, enjoyable read like a cozy mystery book should read. Characters who make you laugh, you find relatable and enjoy their story make it that much more enjoyable.
A cabin library in a lakeside town sounds glorious to me.  A mystery to go with a it? Even better.  I enjoyed the characters  in this new series; they were relatable and enjoyable.  The mystery was more complex than I thought it would be at first.  Overall, I enjoyed the storyline and look forward to more in the seruies
I received this book for an honest review

Thank you netgalley for allowing me to read this story. An amazing cozy I thoroughly enjoying and I'm definitely going to continue with the series. I love the family drama. The scenery and plot we're incredible and I love this spunky best friend.
I loved this book. I live in WI and found the setting to be very realistic.  I loved the characters and how strong their friendships were. This is a fantastic book about friendship, family and if course a mystery to keep you guessing. I look forward to reading more in the series,
I am becoming a huge fan of the cozy mystery genre due to books like this. You can read this as an escape from the everyday in a weekend. A  really good mystery.
Enjoyable first in the series entry, good characters and story development.  Will be interested to read how the series develops as it progresses.  I enjoyed myself.
Cozy mysteries are my favorite and this is a good one! This is a series debut with recent widow Rain being thrown into a mystery as soon as she comes home to her family’s log cabin home in Lofty Pines. Rain is planning for a change of scenery and a little rest but is informed she is expected by the Lakers to open the little library that is part of her cabin but soon that is the least of her concerns. This cozy mystery was enjoyable and I’m looking forward to the next in this series!
Good start to the series. I liked the setting at the lake and the characters were OK but I didn’t really feel a connection to any of them. I also was not a fan of the TSTL moments within the book but I will read the next in the series.

I received a copy from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

#MurderattheLakesideLibrary #NetGalley
Recently widowed, Rain Wilmont runs to the family's lakeside cottage to deal with her grief. Once there she discovers she's expected to run the library that's attached to the cabin and there's a dead body in the back yard.
Though Rain's Mother and Father are out of the country, (one for business one for volunteer work) a resident swears he's seen her father in town. Now, afraid her father will be accused, Rain and her best friend Julia begin to investigate who killed Thornton Hughes.
I love the idea of this book, but the reality did not live up to it's potential. As I read the descriptions of the location and the cabin, I certainly wanted to go and visit, but as for caring about the mystery or the characters, not so much. It was slow moving, the main character is not likable, and some of the dialog is awkward. Not a series I'll continue to read.
#netgalley #MurderattheLakesideLibrary
An enjoyable new cozy series set in fictional Pine Lake, Wisconsin. After the death of her husband, Rain heads to her family’s summer cabin that also houses the towns small library. When a body turns up on her property, Rain sets out with her old friend to solve the murder and uncovers some family mysteries along the way.
A perfect summer cozy.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book.
4 stars
Rain spent her summers in the Wisconsin Northwoods at the cabin built by her great grandfather. Having lived most of her adult life in the Milwaukee area, she returns to the northwoods to grieve for the husband she recently lost to an accident.
Rain is immediately surrounded by childhood friends and a murder!
I liked that the back story of the characters was interwoven with the present.
The surprise Rain uncovers while trying to solve the murder is something readers will appreciate!
There are so many things going on in this book, I don't know where to start, but i can tell you if you pick it up and give it a try, you will love it. Suspenseful, emotionally satisfying and an enjoyable read = you really can't ask for more.  Family history sometimes gets in the way of living your own life as you would like to.  But once the truth comes out everything falls into place quite nicely.  Exactly what happens in this book. .
Murder at the Lakeside Library by Holly Danvers
Book #1: Lakeside Library Mystery
Source: NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books
Rating: 3/5 stars

**MINI REVIEW**

The Bottom Line: I’m not entirely sure where I fall with this read.  In some ways – setting, the main character – I really should have loved this book.  In other ways – the oddness of the plot and some of the minor characters – I couldn’t really get behind this story.  The setting really is idyllic and when you add in a library, I am generally hooked.  However, the things that would normally suck me in were overshadowed by the very odd nature of the plot, the identity of the big bad, and the qualities of some of the minor characters (the next-door neighbors!).  Normally, I would be willing to give a new series a second chance, but I think I may take a pass on this one.  I just don’t feel there is enough in this book to allow it to stand out from the pack – this is a packed genre – and hold my interest for the long run.
I'm always a bit hesitant when starting a new series as many times so many pages are devoted to setting up the characters and the location that the mystery starts to get a bit lost.  However, this debut book kept my attention from the first few pages.

The characters seem very 'real' and feel like they could become friends very easily.  The setting of the book was also very interesting to me.

I'm looking to reading more in this series.
#MurderattheLakesideLibrary #NetGalley

Cozy mysteries aren’t my favourite genre, but I make exceptions if they revolve around cats or libraries. This one fit that latter category, so I decided to give it a try.

This is the first book in a new series and the author really paints a lovely picture of lake-side cottage life. The premise is that after losing her husband, Rain moves back to her family cabin (out of which they run a library). She meets up with her childhood friend, Julia and the two of them attempt to solve a crime.

It’s definitely a nice, easy read, but it took a while for this story to get going. There’s a LOT of backstory here, which makes a bit of sense given that it’s the first in the series, but at times you start to forget there is a mystery supposedly going on. And how many times do we have to establish that Julia and Rain are really great friends that are always doing everything for each other. It would have been better to have had less of Julia and Rain reconnecting and had a few more suspects thrown in to make it interesting.

I also did find some of the story unrealistic - some of the dialog, the character reactions, and parts of the explanation at the end (I won’t give details in order to avoid spoilers). But a bit of unrealism is sort of par for the course for a cozy.

So, if you are looking for a new cozy that is a decent read and is in a nice setting, then certainly give this one a try, as there are some elements that are good. But I think this story could have been more focused.

Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC.
This was a sweet story of mystery and deception. The characters were loveable and it was definitely was suspenseful. The main character escapes personal tragedy to an idyllic lakeside  settting . She was exoecting peae and quiet and was immediately pulled into a mystery. The library connection was really cool and this was a very relatable setting.
Rain  has just arrived at the family cabin at the lake,   she is not there very long and and a body by the outhouse is discovered.  who is he and how killed him.  all Rain wanted was some quiet time to rest and heal, her husband  just died in a wreck  and her parents are traveling and working around the world.  if you like mysteries you will want to read the book, i was given a copy by netgalley but this is an honest review.  it is well written and keeps you guessing  what is going on,  i enjoyed reading the story to the end