Cover Image: Murder at the Lakeside Library

Murder at the Lakeside Library

#MurderattheLakesideLibrary #NetGalley

Cozy mysteries aren’t my favourite genre, but I make exceptions if they revolve around cats or libraries. This one fit that latter category, so I decided to give it a try.

This is the first book in a new series and the author really paints a lovely picture of lake-side cottage life. The premise is that after losing her husband, Rain moves back to her family cabin (out of which they run a library). She meets up with her childhood friend, Julia and the two of them attempt to solve a crime.

It’s definitely a nice, easy read, but it took a while for this story to get going. There’s a LOT of backstory here, which makes a bit of sense given that it’s the first in the series, but at times you start to forget there is a mystery supposedly going on. And how many times do we have to establish that Julia and Rain are really great friends that are always doing everything for each other. It would have been better to have had less of Julia and Rain reconnecting and had a few more suspects thrown in to make it interesting.

I also did find some of the story unrealistic - some of the dialog, the character reactions, and parts of the explanation at the end (I won’t give details in order to avoid spoilers). But a bit of unrealism is sort of par for the course for a cozy.

So, if you are looking for a new cozy that is a decent read and is in a nice setting, then certainly give this one a try, as there are some elements that are good. But I think this story could have been more focused.

Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC.
This was a sweet story of mystery and deception. The characters were loveable and it was definitely was suspenseful. The main character escapes personal tragedy to an idyllic lakeside  settting . She was exoecting peae and quiet and was immediately pulled into a mystery. The library connection was really cool and this was a very relatable setting.
Rain  has just arrived at the family cabin at the lake,   she is not there very long and and a body by the outhouse is discovered.  who is he and how killed him.  all Rain wanted was some quiet time to rest and heal, her husband  just died in a wreck  and her parents are traveling and working around the world.  if you like mysteries you will want to read the book, i was given a copy by netgalley but this is an honest review.  it is well written and keeps you guessing  what is going on,  i enjoyed reading the story to the end
A good debut cozy mystery.  Rain has gone to her family's lakeside cottage to attempt to heal after the death of her husband.  The quiet she craves doesn't happen as she is immersed back into the community of year round lakeside residents, finding both old friends and new.  The community is anxious for her to open the library that her mother has opened each season for the small town.  Then there's a murder on her parents' property.

The characters were well developed.  I liked the rekindling of the friendship between Rain and Julia.  It's so true how old friends, even after not seeing each other for a long time, can see each other and immediately they are as close as they were before.  The plot was good - not one of those you couldn't put down, but kept my interest.  Overall I found it an enjoyable read.

Thanks to Crooked Lane Books through Netgalley for an advance copy.
I tried to enjoy the story but I had trouble connecting to the characters. I love the name of the female in the story.
Life hands you lemons so you pack up and head to the lake! A great new series that finds our main character having to start her life over from scratch as she is widowed and lost so she retreats to her family's lakeside retreat to try to figure out what comes next. Unfortunately, her mom left a few details out like that the family had started a makeshift library for the locals and tourists to use and she would need to run that, that there is something odd about her family history and then of course there is the dead body that she finds before she even gets a chance to unpack! Great plotting wrapped around fantastic characters makes this a must read book! I can't wait to see happens next!
Heartbroken and seeking escape, Rain Wilmot travels to the family cabin of her youth only to find pushy neighbors and a dead man on her property. The stakes are raised when it's found that Rain's mother was close to the victim. But as always in a mystery, not all is as it seems.

The premise of this book was strong, but I really struggled to get into it and I think that was because I found the characters quite unlikeable and painful. I also liked the setting and the cover art.

I'd be interested to see what other series this author has but this one is not for me unfortunately.
A delightful & cozy read with a lakeside setting in Lofty Pines, Wisconsin that takes you away. Rain and all the supporting characters made the storyline all the more enjoyable.
This is the first book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed it. Centres around a murder in a small community and the two best friends who act as amateur detectives in a bid to solve the mystery and clear the family name. Agreed escapist read yo while away a few lockdown hours.
Run off the mill cozy. Ticks boxes for contemporary cosy mystery stereotypes.
A single woman on a self searching after her previous life has collapsed. Looks like a model, loves books and reading. Etc. Descriptions are long and did not keep my interest.
The title and cover of this cozy mystery caught my attention, the setting on a lake with books sounds like heaven to me. It was anything but for Rain who returns to her family cabin after being away for so long. Rain is still mourning the loss of her husband and has unresolved issues with several of her relationships. Her need for peace and quiet is disrupted by the discovery of a dead body on her property. This leads Rain and her friend Julia on a mission to uncover clues about the mysterious victim and his murder. The discovery of secrets involving the locals (the so called Lakers) made for an intriguing storyline and the best aspect of the book. To me the story didn't flow and the characters were too flat.  Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a free copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The good: the setting is fantastic! I love the lake, the surrounding cabins, the peaceful atmosphere, it’s all very cozy and reminiscent of childhood vacations camping in the woods at the lake. The two main characters are nice, I like that the main character is taking advantage of her new surroundings and using the opportunity to change her life in other ways.

The not-as-good: the dialogue was kind of awkward in places, which slowed the story down. There was also a bit more description than I like, especially the authors tendency to overdescribe what people are doing with their hands. The formatting was really off and I had trouble in some places telling who was talking because the paragraphs were smooshed together. The ending was a little confusing to me, the victim was apparently the one who created the killer’s alibi, but did so without knowing a murder would be committed.

Overall I enjoyed the story, I think some more editing could make this a 5 star book. If you enjoyed Lucy Lawrence’s Decoupage series, this is very similar.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC.
Returning to her family's cottage in the north woods of Wisconsin brings Rain Wilmont a mixture of odd feelings. Combined with her continued mourning for the loss of her husband, she is not sure how comfortable she will be back in the old surroundings. When her old friend Julia appears from next door, Rain begins to feel more comfortable until they discover a body on the property. Thornton Hughes was a property developer who made some people angry with his plans for Lofty Pines, but Rain soon learns her mother was friendly with Hughes and that starts to worry her. Was her mother having an affair with Hughes? With the help of her friend Julia and Julia's policeman brother Jace, Rain learns who the killer is. An interesting start to what I think might be a continuing series.
While the murder mystery itself was decent, there was far too much exposition and the characters were difficult to connect with. I found Rain to be by turns flaky and a complete pushover, Julia to be both overwhelming and self effacing, and both seemed a little too easily manipulated. Additionally some of the relationships between characters seemed unrealistic given the premise of the story.
A story setting that seems peaceful but instead filled with mystery. Full of well developed characters and a mystery that gives away nothing!
This is the first in the Lakeside Library Mystery series. Our heroin is Rain Wilmont who has recently lost her husband and decide to move to her family summer home in Lofty Pines Wisconsin. Her first day there and she finds a dead body. Not just any dead body, but the dead body of a close friend of her mother's. But how close is part of the mystery. With her mother and Father not easily reachable, she will depend on her childhood friend, Julia, "laker" Marge, Julia's husband and brother, Nick and Jace (who is also a Lofty Pines police officer) to help her solve the murder. The setting is very lovely and makes me wish I knew of a lake town where I could borrow a book from the library and sit on the deck overlooking the lake. Or maybe get in the boat and head to the local dock side restaurant. The characters have their own backstories which adds to the story.  Julia shares a secret that makes Rain have second thoughts about what she was sure was the perfect way of feeling about her late husband. I enjoyed that the characters were not perfect and had to be shown there are often if not always two sides to all situations. This was a fun, yes fun, murder mystery and I hope the series continues. I am giving this solid 4 stars and looking forward to book 2 and more.
Very cute first in a series! I really enjoyed the main characters quirkiness and the pace at which this cozy was written. A lot of first in the series are a slower pace to introduce us to the characters and setting but I thought this one did a good job of introducing us to Rain and the small town that she is from! Well done! Can't wait for book 2! My only complaint is that this is coming out in hardback first, which is a hard sell in my area for a cozy
It took me til the third chapter when the body was found that i got into this book. The chapters are long, I like short chapters cause I hate stopping in the middle of a chapter. As with all mysteries, you think you have it figured out right away, this time it took awhile and I was still wrong. This will surprise you and i hope to see this author excel.

Thank You #MurderattheLakesideLibrary #NetGalley
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the first in a new series by a new author, at least she is to me.

In this first instalment, we meet Rainmaker who’s coming to spend the summer at her family’s cabin in some small lakeside community in Wisconsin. Barely arrived, her plans for a quiet summer are thwarted first by her friend and neighbor, Julia & an old lady from the town named Marjory who want her to reopen her family’s private library to the inhabitants of the village. With some apprehension, Rain agrees but that too gets thwarted when a dead body is discovered on Rain’s family’s property. Obviously, the ladies will have their investigation and will be well that ends well.

I like the way the story went and it wasn’t too hard to follow, the way any cozy mystery is, in my mind, supposed to be and the motivation is also pretty straightforward.

I have to confess to being jealous of Rain for having a library in her family’s summer cabin but that felt unrealistic to as well as the too perfect  instant friendship between Rain and Marjory.

The description of the decor was perfect and I appreciated that there was no cheesy romance between the characters thrown in just for the sake of it, that is so tiresome to have that when it serves no purpose to the story.
I had a hard time really getting into this book.  There was so much filler and descriptions of everything that I forgot what was going on.  The main character did so much self introspection that I thought it would have served the reader better  for this to be written in first person and not third person.  It got awkward at times.  There seemed to be a lot of people to keep track of for a tiny vacation place. I got to where I was just skimming the book by the end to find out who dunnit.