Cover Image: Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry

Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry

I was given a complementary copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Quinn is a list maker.  She keeps a journal full of lists that she would never share with anyone.  When her journal goes missing, she frantically tries to find it.  But when a blackmailer threatens to reveal her lists to the entire school unless she completes certain tasks, Quinn is forced to face her fears.  Even though she ugly cries throughout, Quinn becomes stronger through the process of facing her fears and defines her own future, one that includes a hot guy in it!  #ExcuseMeWhileIUglyCry
First of all, thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for providing me with an ARC.

When I first heard about this book I was immediately excited to read it as it sounded like To All The Boys I've Loved Before.

This story follows Quinn, who is only two months away from graduating high school. She keeps a journal in which she documents all her deepest secrets, until one day this journal goes missing and she's blackmailed into facing her fears.

I ended up really enjoying this book. My favorite part was getting to see the immense character development Quinn goes through. It starts off with a girl unsure about herself and her future and ends with someone who is confident and not afraid to go after what she wants. I like how you get to see her relationship with her parents evolve as she goes from doing what's expected of her to accepting that she needs to do what makes her happy. Also, I really liked that Quinn was able to build friendships with people who connect and understand her.

Things I didn't like about this book was that it did feel cheesy at some points. Especially in the beginning of the book as Quinn would often make immature choices.

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of contemporary romance as this was a fast and cute read.

Please excuse me while I (ugly) cry and scream about this book. Yes, this is the second book that actually brought me to tears. It wasn't ugly crying or full-on sobbing (which I did when I finished reading Allegiant by Veronica Roth), but my eyes were definitely watering at around 80% of Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry. No tears escaped, but I'm still counting it as crying.

I admit that this book had a slightly rocky start in the sense that I didn't like Quinn and Carter. I didn't like Quinn for lying to her parents, and I didn't like Carter for being unnecessarily mean to Quinn. However, these two characters grew on me, and I came to love them and their dynamic by the end of the book! I don't know the exact moment where my attitude towards Quinn and Carter shifted from "dislike" to "like", but if I had to guess, it would be when Quinn started to actually make an effort to become a better character and when Carter actually started to care about Quinn.

But Olivia (Livvy) completely stole the show. I love how strong she is. I love how independent she is. I love how supportive she is. I love everything about her, and I really appreciated her friendship with Quinn.

I finished this book in a few hours because I was intrigued to find out who the blackmailer was and how the parents would react to Quinn's lies. And there was that part of me that was completely obsessed with the relationship between Quinn and Carter. I wouldn't exactly describe it as enemies-to-lovers per se, but it was definitely a slow-burn romance!

And finally, the diversity was a huge plus! Quinn, Carter, and Olivia all are Black (or half-Black). I also really liked how the book dealt with racism in a high school that had a majority of white students.

Overall, I highly recommend this book!
Alright, Netflix, since YA romance seems to be your thing: You better start paying attention to this book.

This was such a sweet, fun read. It manages to address very serious issues while also feel light and warm. Joya Goffney walked a very fine line with this book, and she did it with such grace that I cannot wait to read more from her.

Seriously, this book is such a good YA romance that deserves as much hype and more than all the other current hits. I could read about Quinn and Carter for so much longer and be perfectly happy. They're complex, they're lovable, and they're exactly the kind of characters you want to read about while also wanting to be friends with them.
4 stars

Quinn is a main character who loves list but is tough to love. When her book of lists gets stolen - and then some really creepy blackmail starts - it's possible to feel bad for her but never without the undercurrent of WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! She is a compulsive liar, a fairly selfish individual (even relative to her age group), and she seems to have somewhat set herself up for something like this to occur.

These initial feelings make her turnaround so much more compelling. It's a pleasure and a relief to watch Quinn grow, repair, and start fresh over the course of this work. I was surprised by how much I grew to like her, the plot and setting overall, and the way that she, other characters, and of course Goffney treat issues surrounding race.

This is a great read that gave me much more than I anticipated initially. I'll be recommending it to students for the long haul.
Recently, I've been having a hard time sleeping due to, in all honesty, mental health issues. I'm increasing my self-care (i.e. facials, meditation, doodling/journaling) these days, which leads me to an increase in books. Especially romance!
The upcoming YA coming of age romance fiction "Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry" by Joya Goffney (@joya.goffney) is what the doctor ordered.
The story centers on Quinn, an overly enthusiastic list maker who has lists from "Things That I Would Never Admit Out Loud" to boys she would like to kiss. Her journal is her loyal yet voiceless confidante where she can be honest yet also not face her fears, worries, and secrets. However, after her journal goes missing, she is blackmailed into completing a to-do list of all her worst fears.
This is another book I am scared to gush about because, not only is this a debut, but it is coming out THIS MAY (Stay Tuned)! Goffney does an incredible job discussing race (including colorism), privilege, consent/privacy, and facing consequences. I see myself in Quinn, someone who is scared to be vulnerable and to face herself. But, I feel like, for her too, I am starting to find my courage and take risks. Plus, I love how Quinn must face accountability! The book is heartfelt and humorous yet also triggering at times (i.e. cyberbullying, racism).
Thank you so much, Doris (BIPOC Sr. Sales & Marketing Associate at Harper) for sending me this ARC (as well as the others which I will be reading).
The book is being published on May 4, 2021, by HarperTeen, a subdivision of HarperCollins. Thank you to NetGalley too! I just reviewed Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry by Joya Goffney. #ExcuseMeWhileIUglyCry #NetGalley
A novel about facing one's fear is very empowering and the protagonist going to face these fears is on a totally different level. I am glad that Joya Goffney wrote this because there are teens out there with fears and this is a voice that is resonating. I hope to see this on the shelves at a nearby bookstore. Even if I have to request it myself.
This book centers on Quinn and the drama that ensues when her journal is stolen. She keeps all of her innermost thoughts and secrets in her journal. An unknown person gets their hands on her journal and uses the contents to blackmail her. In order to stop them from airing out her secrets on social media, she has to comply with their demands.

Quinn’s attempts to appease her blackmailer leads her on a journey of self discovery that I found to be very satisfying. She was forced to face her fears. She discovered the magic in being a Black girl. She found her voice. I was rooting for her to succeed. She also came to terms with her beloved grandmother’s dementia. That was especially touching for me as I had to deal with that in my real world.

The supporting cast of friends that she makes during her journey were so lovable. The enemies to friends trope between Quinn and Carter was perfect for me. Their chemistry gave me butterflies!

I found some similarities to this book and the storyline of The Black Kids by Christina Hammonds Reed. If you’re a fan of that book, I’d highly recommend Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry. I thought Joya Goffney elevated the premise to something even more magical.

I give this book 5/5 stars. There was enough angst to keep it interesting. The romance was realistic, but super sweet. The lead character was quirky, but super likable. This book made me happy. Thank you Joya Goffney, HarperTeen, and NetGalley.

#ExcuseMeWhileIUglyCry #NetGalley
oh my god. this. was. AMAZING!!!! i loved this book so so so much. i needed something like this as a kid—a story where an unapologetically black love interest is depicted as the desirable option. these characters were amazing and it was such a pleasure to read them.
Thank you @HarperTeen and @Netgalley for the gifted #VoiceGalley and ARC of Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry!

I was super excited for this one but I sadly did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I’m giving this one a 2.5 rounded up to 3/5!

The book overall felt very repetitive and I don’t really buy the whole, let me shame you, steal your journal and black mail you into doing and saying all the things you always wanted to 🤷🏾‍♀️!

The main character stressed me out but I do not want to minimize her experience as a biracial character because I am not a biracial woman myself.

I appreciated Carter’s character in this one although he too felt a bit stereotypical. I think this was done in part to showcase the area he was in as well as the issue Chloe was dealing with.

On a separate note, I really enjoyed this new style of receiving ARCs! The voice galley was perfect! It takes a little bit to get used to it but if I’m honest, this is the way to go! Audiobooks and voice galleys are just the mode I’m in right now!
Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry was a refreshing book that I couldn't put down. It captivated me from the beginning. Joya Goffney, I am now a huge fan!

Quinn, a senior in high school, writes lists in her journal. Very private, very personal lists. Lists about her secret desires, her secret feelings, and the times she ugly cries. Her journal gets mixed up with Carter's notebook and chaos ensues when they both realize her journal missing. Quinn and Carter form an unlikely bond to go on the hunt for her journal.

While I am not of YA target audience age, I loved this book! I couldn't put it down. It put issues like race and class along side the struggles of growing up. I really enjoyed Joya Goffney's writing style and loved that lists were included throughout the book. It tied everything together and who doesn't love a good list? The only critique I have is that there was something left unfinished for me at the end of the book. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't affect the book at all. I would have just liked it to be wrapped up more for my peace of mind.

I am excited for this book to be released. I highly recommend it.
Disclaimer: I got this ARC in exchange for an honest review from @NetGalley.

Joya is a teen who loses her journal and is blackmailed into ticking off a list of one of her major fears. Along the way, she falls in love and it's one of the most enjoyable books I've read this year!! It's incredibly cute. It's perfect for fans of Frankly in Love, To All the Boys I've Loved Before, and Odd One Out.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I wanted to like this book but it just fell flat for me. Honestly, it was a slog to get through. I didn’t rally respond to the main character, Quinn, and her journey of finding her voice left something to be desired. Typically I enjoy the enemies to lovers trope but this one didn’t do it for me.
This book contained several topics that could trigger some people.  Be aware that race, cyber bullying, and white privilege are dominate themes.
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel.   This was a very well written YA contemporary novel about facing your fears, race, and growing up.   The issue of race was ha naked very well and will give readers a chance to do some deeper introspective thinking.  I loved Quinn!!!  And Carter!!  All the characters were very well developed and has great depth!   I do wish there was more resolution with how things "closed" with Matt and Quinn.   I appreciated that this YA book did not have sex in it but still managed to convey the attraction between Quinn and Carter.  Well done and I would read more by this author!
This is definitely a book to put on your tbr if you love messy, high school drama-filled coming of age ya novels. I will say I struggle reading on my phone as opposed to physical books, so the reading process was a bit difficult for me and definitely impacted the speed at which I read this one. This may have impacted the memorability of the story for my in the long term.
Still, I think the author did a really great job of including important conversations around identity and the main character's understanding of herself and those in her life, both separately and in relation to her. I thought this balanced a fun driving plot while also including conversations about race that would be beneficial to any high schooler reading this book, if not to relate to Quinn, perhaps to better evaluate their own relationships and treatment of others.
The plot element with Quinn's grandmother was an unexpected aspect of the book that definitely made me tear up due to my own experience with family members experiencing memory loss. I think it was a really important conversation to include, because it is something many young people are forced to grapple with, but without knowing someone in the same or a similar situation it can feel pretty isolating to experience.
Overall, the plot was fun and engaging, while also having heart. The book essentially read like a movie I would’ve loved as a teenager and I was here for it.
Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me a digital ARC of this book via NetGalley. This is a fantastic YA contemporary. I adored the humor, the writing style (with all of the lists), the authenticity of the characters and their experiences. I appreciated Quinn's journey to self-acceptance, and her tackling of issues with identity and racism and knowing what's right or wrong. So many important conversations, and so many important statements expressed in this book.
I loved the representation and overall premise of this book. I feel like the characters were enjoyable despite their flaws, the plot kept me engaged enough to continue reading, and this book leaves the reader thinking about the topics presented within.
A thought provoking young adult contemporary brimming with humor and heart. Joya Goffney’s debut addresses issues such as racism and bullying with a thoughtful and gentle hand. Quinn is a list maker. She has a list for everything in her journal -The boys she wants to kiss, the bad things she has done, the things she wants to do before she graduates high school, her hopes, her dreams.... When Quinn‘s journal goes missing she is convinced it must be Carter (a boy she’s not sure of) who has it, after all he was the last one with her before it went missing. BUT then Quinn is blackmailed and Carter is determined to help her. Can she trust him though? what follows is a sweet story about coming to terms with who you really are, learning that you cannot judge people at first sight, and taking responsibility for your actions.

In honor of Quinn here is a list of reasons why you should read this book:

Quin is a likable relatable character, flaws and all.
 Carter is a sweet guy that will steal your heart.
 The subject of race and racism is handled particularly well in the story. It is never preachy but betrayed very realistically. Gave me a lot to think about.
I also really liked the family dynamics in the story. It was really interesting about how different families have different expectations and how suffocating that can sometimes be.
The Romance in the Story was super adorable. Nothing better than first love.
Quinn and Carter had some pretty fabulous friends.

This book comes out in May 2021, so be sure to add it to your TBR. There is no better palate cleanser than a good sweet young adult contemporary.

*** Big thank you to Harper Teen & Harper Audio for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***

🎧 The audio version I was given of this book was narrated by a synthetic voice, therefore I will not be offering any feedback on the narration in particular. However I do have to say this is a pretty good synthetic voice for anyone who reviews audios.
This was the cutest book. I couldnt put it down!! Quinn has a lot going on in her life. She writes lists in her journal. Even the really personal things. When her journal is misplaced and she begins to be blackmailed, she must try to figure out who has it. Whoever is blackmailing her tells her that she must do one of her lists, telling a boy she cares for him, her parents she didn't get into college, and facing the way she sees herself and how others see her.
This was a good book! I appreciated Quinn's struggles, and Carter's, and the development of Quinn's friendships with Carter, Olivia, and Auden. Ah, Olivia! What a great character and friend. :)

I did wish we got more interaction with Matt along the way because I feel like things with him kind of went...quiet? And if he was her best friend I would've expected him to be a bit more pushy about figuring out what was going on and why they weren't interacting as much. But that's my only complaint!

I am very glad that I read this! The depiction of anxiety, race, friendships/betrayals, bullying, and how Quinn grows so much more confident throughout the obstacles that she faces...absolutely splendid!