Cover Image: Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades

Aces of Spades by Faridah Abike-lyimide is a great story. The pace is fast and kept me on my toes, while constantly keeping my interest. The story of a private school with all white students, other than the two main characters, showing the oppression, racial struggles and fear of all the peers around them. The QPOC representation was well written and relevant. Aces Of Spades is my favorite book of 2021, with the best outcome. I will definitely be buying the physical copy of this story once released June 2021.
Please everyone read this book. It’s so fun and so good and a PERFECT “burn it all down” story. I loved it.
This book has a great concept, but I was not a fan of the execution.

The overall concept is intriguing. I definitely think the comparisons to Get Out and Gossip Girl are spot-on in regards to what kind of feel this novel is going for. I was also wholeheartedly rooting for Devon and Chiamaka to prevail. They are not always particularly likable, but they are relatable in their humanness. Devon’s story, in particular, hurt my heart.

But despite a promising concept, the plot and writing style fell flat for me. The beginning of this book is slow going and takes a bit to ramp up. The middle is tightly plotted and the most thrilling section of the novel. I was actually really excited when I got to this part because I thought we were building to an explosive, mind-blowing ending. I was so disappointed when I got to the end, though, and it was rushed and full of convenient, tired plot twists.

The writing felt pretty juvenile and had a lot of cliches. I wish the author had been more descriptive in general, as I had a hard time picturing anything due to the minimal descriptions. The book is set in America, but the use of UK terms for things threw me off and the lack of descriptions just made this story hard to place.

Great concept but didn't love the execution, overall.
Great book for anyone who loved One of Us is Lying or other mystery/thrillers!

Chiamika and Devon go to an elite private academy.  Chiamika's parents are doctors while Devon lives on the other side of town.  As the two black kids in their entire school they don't interact much until Aces begins to spread their secrets to the entire school.  Can Chi and Devon find out who Aces is before he ruins their futures?

Loved the characters and plot for this book.  Has a group of diverse characters and shows the struggles that many students of color may be going through when they are in a school they don't feel they belong in.  The plot is somewhat predictable at times but most mystery and thriller books have similar tropes.  100% would recommend this to my students.
Ace of Spades is a masterful book, elegantly yet seriously dealing with important topics such as racism and sexuality all while providing a delightfully captivating setting. Marketed as Gossip Girl meets Get Out, it truly does encapsulate both of those, relaying the author's love for Gossip Girl in the best possible way. As one of the best debuts I have ever read, it is sure to be applauded as a brilliant thriller for years to come.
This book was the best debut I have ever read. First off the setting was immaculate I love the dark academia setting and this story incorporated it so well. Second the pacing was amazing, their was always something happening and I was never bored. These characters were written so well and I felt like I actually knew them. Well sort of since I felt like I could not trust anyone LOL. But this scenarios and everything that happened was something that could happen in real life and it was just amazing. Sometimes I felt like screaming at the characters not to do that. Last but not least that ending O M G I cannot wait for more by this author and thank you to netgalley and the publisher for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley.

Ace of Spades is fun, exciting, sad, heavy, comedic, infuriating, and thrilling all at once. To be honest, I missed the Gossip Girl hype train and never saw the show so I feel like this was me getting to experience that excitement a little.

One of my favorite things in a book is when you connect with a character so hard that their pain feels personal and their triumphs fill you with pride, and I absolutely felt that way with Devon. Both main characters are well written and fleshed out and all the side characters felt like they really needed to be there. No one felt extraneous.

The pacing and storytelling is wonderful for 99% of the book. It kept me going for more page after page and getting annoyed when I’d inevitably have to put it down to go to work or sleep. Who needs either of those things anyway?
The only time things felt rushed in my opinion was at the end, and I would have loved to see more...well no spoilers so I just would have liked to have seen more from the ending.

My only other complaint is that the book leans a little too hard into cliche sometimes for my taste and big things become predictable when you actively think about the pieces of media that inspired it. That said, it still managed to shock me and thrill me and I had a really good time with this book. I can’t wait to get my hands on a physical copy in June!
As usual I have to start by saying I am not own voices so please seek out those reviews first.
  This was so much more than I was expecting! I knew this book tackled some tough subjects but this was so good! It took the thriller genre to a whole new level! I would be genuinely shocked if this book doesn't make its way onto several award list this year. This was absolutely stunning!
This was such a wonderful book. The characters had depth and the characterization they went through was expertly done, and the writing style itself was one of my favorites. The pacing was a little slow in the beginning but it picked up in the middle, and I was easily able to devour it. Very unnerving even if slightly predictable at times, and I can't wait to read more from this author.
This was an absolutely beautifully written book! I have not read a five star book in a while and do not have many five star reads. That being said I don't think I have ever read something quite like this. Ace of Spades is about two black students who go to a private high school and suddenly become the victims to an anonymous bully. This book falls into the YA, thriller, mystery categories.
     First off, the way the author portrays racism in America today and the daily and hierarching struggles that black men and women face is astounding. I have read many books focusing on racial injustice in today's society but this one hit the hardest. It was a very emotional read and had many jaw dropping moments throughout the book. I have never faced discrimination for the color of my skin, but this book shows the horrors and injustices of today's system.
     There are also themes of discrimination and bullying because of sexuality. The author also does such a wonderful job handling these issues as well.
     This book had its fun and more lighthearted moments but it also had some very powerful messages throughout. I have no doubt in my mind that when this book hits the shelves it will be an instant bestseller. The tension, suspense, writing style, and twists all combined with the powerful messages this book centers around are sure to make it an instant success!
     Go check out my Instagram for sneak peaks at character art before the book comes out! Thank you to Macmillan publishing for giving me an ARC of this book.

Ace of Spades is a dark academia tale told in alternating POC point of views. Devon and Chiamaka attend Niveus Academy, but suddenly and unexpectedly, someone begins sharing intimate details about both of their lives with the entire school population. The twists and turns of this plot are woven masterfully together, and Faridah Abike-Iyimide made me want to scream out loud a few times. The message of this novel is certainly one that has stayed with me long after finishing the reading of this dark but needed tale. This is a book one won't soon forget.

#aceofspades #netgalley
Ace of Spades is perhaps the best book I  have read in a long time. I could not put it down. I implore everyone to read this novel
This book!  What a wild ride!  This book has a dark and twisty backdrop that deals with institutional racism in an in-your-face kind of way.  I loved that this book tackled prevalent current societal issues with a no-holds-barred attitude.  I could literally not put this book down.  Despite the heaviness of the topics in the book, this is a fun read with a powerful message.  Every time I thought I had everything figured out, this book shocked me again.  If you like powerful storylines with strong QPOC main characters, you will LOVE Ace of Spades.  Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!
Excellent look at social eugenics and racism. Told in dual voices of two lack students at a otherwise all white elite prep school. Devon and Chiamaka led a pretty normal high school career until senior year when they began to get haressed, abused, and blackmailed. Once they realized they were the only two students that this was happening to and set out to stop it.
Relatable characters. Addresses many different issues
Ace of Spades is filled with twists and turns, and I was left with my mouth open on multiple occasions, whether that was from horror or shock. Àbíké-Íyímídé is truly a genius, and has woven topics such as generational wealth, social capital, incarceration, anti-Black racism, homophobia, and intersectionality into this phenomenal tale. Ace of Spades is what dark academia should be at it’s very core: an exploration of academia, and how much of a role white supremacy, microaggressions and systemic oppression play in our everyday life.

As Chiamaka struggles with maintaining her spot as Niveus’ most popular girl, talented musician Devon’s simply trying to stay under the radar, and make it out alive. After all, they’re in their senior year — how difficult could it be? Quite difficult, it turns out, when they suddenly find themselves targeted by Aces. Whoever Aces is, they’re trying to make Chiamaka and Devon’s lives a living hell by sharing some of their deepest secrets. It’s up to Chiamaka and Devon to team up, and figure out who is behind all of this, before it’s too late.

Ace of Spades is told in alternating POVs; one following Chiamaka, and one following Devon. In the realm of the high school social hierarchy, Chiamaka and Devon are as different as two people can be, making them the perfect foil for one another, and allowing us to truly see the true effect Aces has on their lives. First, we have seemingly perfect Chiamaka, whose parents are rich, and her only “flaw” is her best friend’s lack of interest in her, and can only truly lose two things — her perfect academic record and her social standing. Then, we have scholarship kid Devon, whose only friend is Jack and the music teacher at school. His one ticket to a better life for him and his family is dependent on his acceptance to Julliard. Àbíké-Íyímídé has crafted such fascinating characters, and I found myself really rooting for Chiamaka and Devon very early on.

If nothing else, Ace of Spades is gripping, powerful, terrifying, and intriguing. I was hooked from the first page, curious to know who was behind Aces, why they were doing so, why they were targeting Chiamaka and Devon specifically, and what would happen next. But what truly captivated me was the way Ace of Spades calls out white supremacy in academia. Every aspect of Chiamaka and Devon’s school lives were controlled by rules that supported their white peers, whether spoken or inferred. Rules about their hairstyle, social norms, what was - or wasn’t - acceptable, and conversations about how their rich white counterparts had it much easier.

There were moments where I had to put the book down, pace around my room, process, and then return. While I’m not much of a thriller reader, Ace of Spades may have changed that forever. Everything unraveled slowly, so slowly that you might not even realize it at the time, until the very end, where I was left staring at a mess and just being in shock.

Àbíké-Íyímídé’s writing is immersive, rich and descriptive, leaving readers hooked onto every page. I also must give a honorary shoutout to the epilogue, because I am still thinking about it, weeks later after finishing my ARC. Ace of Spades truly goes out with a bang, one last adrenaline rush, that ensures that you’ll be thinking about it forever.

Ace of Spades is one of the most clever, twisted, shocking and genius books I’ve ever read, and I cannot wait for its June release! Many thanks to Netgalley and Macmillan Children’s/Feiwel and Friends for providing me with an eARC.
I adored this book. This is what I desire in a mystery/thriller.
Where to even begin.
The pacing was phenomenal. Every chapter left me wanting more. With many mysteries I read it slows down or drags but this one only grew.
I loved our central characters and how they felt human and I was really rooting for them to find Aces.
At the moment. I'm still in awe of this book and don't know what to say. This is an amazing debut. I will be recommending this to many people.
Touted as Gossip Girl meets Get Out, this book is all that and more. It does give off a Pretty Little Liars vibe, especially in the beginning, and readers are taken on a thrilling ride. Issues like racism and white privilege and supremacy are presented. It's a book that will give its readers a lot of food for thought, and I can just imagine the discussions this will rightly inspire. Definitely a book worthy of a place in any collection.
Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé has been described at Get Out meets Gossip Girl and I cannot think of a better description. The dark academia books opens up to Niveus Private Academy, where we meet our main characters Devon and Chiamaka, two seniors just trying to finish their last year of high school until they can leave for bigger and better things at university: Devon is a Julliard-hopeful for music and Chiamaka definitely wants to go Ivy League.  But it all goes awry when everyone at school starts getting messages from "Aces" that reveals Devon and Chiamaka's personal secrets. But is something even more sinister afoot?

Àbíké-Íyímídé takes on some big themes of race and sexuality as the story unfolds. Devon and Chiamaka both give you reasons to love them and you find your heart breaking right along with them as the secrets are revealed. The attitudes and actions of the various other characters have you constantly guessing who Aces may be.

I really wish Devon and Chiamaka could have gotten more redemption by the conclusion. The ending felt rushed and I wanted more depth to the resolution. However, I really enjoyed this writing from Àbíké-Íyímídé. It was a fun read; out of my normal realm as it has been awhile since I have read a book classified as Young Adult. It was action packed and I devoured it in a matter of days.
Fun read that handled serious, systemic problems well. Would definitely put it in a hands of a teen, even if I didn't love it.
Devon is a scholarship student just keeping his head down until he gets into Juilliard. Chiamaka is the ice queen who rules the hallways with an iron fist. All they have in common is that they are the only Black kids at the exclusive Niveus Academy. When they are targeted by the cyberbully Ace of Spades, they reluctantly team up to take down Aces before their lives are entirely shredded. Neither is prepared for the brutality of the fight ahead of them. Compelling characters, a devastating depiction of racism and homophobia, and a stupendous gut-punch of a twist.