Cover Image: Before She Disappeared

Before She Disappeared

Wow what a read, full of twists and turns. A great read that kept me wanting to read more. One of the main characters Frankie, was so well written I felt like I was in her shoes.
I really enjoyed following the story of our main character, Frankie. She has flaws like we all do but how she deals with them was well written and engaging. It felt like reading about someone who had to help other people in order to heal themselves.
Thank you to Netgalley and Lisa Gardner for the opportunity to review this book.
I enjoyed this, it was different than the usual crime thriller and had a unique plot.  The main character was likable and the author gave her more depth as the story unfolded.  I read this quite quickly and it was easy to get into.  I have read other books by the author and have enjoyed them and would certainly be willing to read more.
This was very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to more from Frankie. I particularly liked the fact the author had been inspired by real-life amateur sleuths who search for missing persons.
I struggled with this book. It wasn’t fast paced enough for me but once it got going I did enjoy it.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC in return for an honest and unbiased opinion.
Before She Disappeared by Lisa Gardner is a fast paced thriller recounting the disappearance of a young woman and following the subsequent investigation. The main character, Frankie follows missing persons cases and takes up the investigation herself, as an amateur. I think the character of Frankie is complex and she appears to be very much a loner. However, she is likeable and I’d definitely read further stories based on her investigations.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a well written mystery thriller.

My thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House for the opportunity to read this book.
I personally didn't hugely enjoy this book and was disappointed as I loved the DD Warren series so much. It is well written with good characterisation but I wasn't enthralled and found it to be too contrived. I didn't gel with the main character and perhaps I was just not in the right frame of mind for reading about someone troubled and battling with her past.
I loved this book.  Frankie was a brilliant character which made me fly through this.  Would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Frankie Elkin is a recovering alcoholic who roams from one place to another, searching for missing people. She needs this to give her purpose and ultimately to fill a missing void in her life.

She is now in Mattapan, Boston on the search for missing schoolgirl Angelique Badeau. She is met with distrust by the family and barriers by the police.

However, it is not long before she manages to uncover valuable information about Angelique’s disappearance and the hunt for her steps up.

A lengthy book with various twists. It kept me interested, though I am not sure some of the facts were credible - Frankie had too much of a sixth sense and was better at this than an entire police force. That aside, once I reminded myself that this was fiction, I did enjoy it very much.

Before She Disappeared is the second book that I’ve read by Lisa Gardner, both very different (the other was When You See Me - if you haven’t read it, do!) and although completely different, I think her writing style is excellent.

I rate this book 4 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Before She Disappeared by Lisa Gardener introduces an off beat almost hobo detective.

Frankie Elkin has no possessions, no home, no ties or connections just a passion for finding missing people. She travels from town to town tracking down missing people, up to now she has only found the hidden bodies of victims, is this case going to be any different? Frankie arrives in a rough neighbourhood of Boston on a mission to find a missing Haitian teenager only to discover that neither the family or the police are comfortable with her uncovering what might have happened and the local drug gangs have a few things to say as well.

This is good, it’s twisty and well paced. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to Frankie making a return.
Thank you Netgalley and Lisa Gardner for a copy of this book.
I really enjoyed the idea of this book. In the age of social media and cyber sleuths, this book measures up beautifully. I loved Frankie and her roughness so much that the pages just flew by quicker than her exit.
Before She Disappeared is a psychological thriller focusing on Frankie, who spends her time finding missing people who the police have stopped looking for. She arrives in a tough Boston neighbourhood to help find Angelique Badeau, a High School student is still missing after several months.
This is the first Lisa Gardner book I’ve read, and it is a stand alone novel unlike some of her others. Fans of this genre will enjoy the twisty plot line that keeps you guessing.
I think this book is gripping and, yet again, Lisa Gardner, has written an engrossing novel.

Her characterisation of the main character, Frankie, was brilliant and I was rooting for her to succeed in her mission.  I cannot recommend this highly enough.
Frankie Elkin solves cold cases for missing people. The police had stopped looking into these cases. One such missing person case takes her to Mattapan, a rough Boston neighborhood. Angelique Badeau disappeared outside of her school eleven months back. Angelique Badeau’s disappearance felt weird to Frankie. And to top that, she faced reluctance from Angelique’s family and the local Boston PD.
But someone in Mattapan doesn’t want the truth to come out. They will go to any lengths to stop her from investigating.

Before she disappeared follows the story of Frankie Elkin, who is fighting her demons. Her strength comes from solving these cold cases. She is a recovering alcoholic and goes to AA meetings diligently and found one in Mattapan too. Her knack for solving unsolved cases takes her to different parts of the country. She does this for her fulfillment and doesn’t make money out of it. She has a flair for asking the right questions and makes mindful observations to solve the case. The book starts with a fantastic opening, and it is a window that gives the reader a glimpse of Frankie and her involvement in this investigative business.

Angelique Badeau is a Haitian immigrant with dreams of becoming a doctor. She is a dedicated student, and her family loves her. But the day she goes missing, her younger brother Emmanuel is in despair. He wants nothing but her sister to come back home. He plays an important in her search.

The story moves smoothly and keeps thrilled, moving from one page to other. The case is not complicated but, the close-knit community of Mattapan is tough to penetrate. There are few characters, and they are easy to navigate through. Det Lotham, who was reluctant to help Frankie, initially comes around to help her eventually.

Lisa Gardner’s writing is impeccable and pulls you to keep flipping the pages. The author also described the neighborhood with so many intricate details that the readers can imagine the scenes with ease.
The book deals with sensitive issues of the current times, and the author handled them well.

Before she disappeared is a crime thriller with an amateur detective with a rock-like determination to solve missing cases.

My rating for the book is 3.5 stars.

Thank you, NetGalley and Random House for the copy of the book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review
I read this book in a day and loved every page. Following the story of a recovering alcoholic who travels across America to find missing people I loved our main character Frankie from the start.

With a tragic past and over 9 years sober Frankie has yet to find any of the people she has searched for alive. Moving to a town in Boston to search for a 15 year old missing for just under a year we are introduced to a fantastic cast of characters.

The story is gripping with the end extremely satisfying and I loved that Frankie's past was teased right until the last chapter.

My only wish is that this does not remain a stand alone and we get a Frankie series.
A stand-alone novel from a very good writer

I have read a few books by Lisa Gardner and have never been disappointed. She always writes about interesting characters and the plot makes you want to read on and on. This book is no different and Frankie Elkin immediately grabs your attention and you are on her side right from the beginning.

Frankie is a middle-aged white woman with multiple problems in her past including a damaging relationship and her constant fight against her alcoholism. She has decided to make her life meaningful by devoting her last 10 years to trying to find missing people whom the police have stopped searching for. We discover that she has been 100% successful but has never found one alive.

She arrives in Boston drawn by the story of a 15-year-old black girl, Angelique Badeau, who had disappeared 11 months ago The trail has gone cold but this does not deter Frankie, neither does the fact that she is working in Mattapan, a black area of Boston where no one wants to help her. She also takes a job in a bar despite being a recovering alcoholic and starts asking questions that do not appear to have been asked.

Although the actual story kept me interested right until the end I feel the real strength of the book is in the main character, Frankie and the various other people that she comes into contact with during her investigation. These are real people struggling with real problems far away from the affluent part of Boston. Frankie can reach out to people completely different from herself and get them to confide in her.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book but was slightly disappointed at the ending concerning Frankie. However this is a compliment to the author that I was rooting for her character and I would hope that maybe, in the future, we could see another book featuring the same person.

Dexter

Elite Book Group received a copy of the book to review
“Maybe the question shouldn’t be why am I doing this, but why isn’t everyone looking?”

Frankie Elkin is a middle aged alcoholic bartender, though 9 years sober, and she is the one who is looking for those who are missing when it seems everyone else has forgotten about them. Frankie is brought to Mattapan, a Boston neighbourhood with a rough reputation, her mission: to find Angelique Badeau; a Haitian teenager who vanished from her high school 11 months earlier. Experiencing some resistance from Boston PD and the family to start with, she soon learns she's asking questions someone doesn't want answered. But Frankie will stop at nothing to discover the truth, even if it means the next person to go missing could be her.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The first Lisa Gardner book I have read and her first standalone in 20 years, she has well and truly sucked me into the life that Frankie leads. Based on the real civilians across the world that spend their time looking for the missing, it was a really interesting premise for a story and she pulled it off so well.
Complete with diverse characters, with a wide range of personalities they all worked so well together. Viv and Piper the homicidal cat were probably some of my favourites. I loved the relationship between her and Detective Lotham, a slow burning but charged relationship. I’m really pleased that their growing affections did not distract them from the job.
One intriguing side plot running alongside  and a chance to see more into Frankie’s past and realise why she is the way she is. With the alcoholic part of her personality, it was nice to see her discuss openly about it and get the support from going to AA meetings as well.
TW: Alcoholism, AA Meetings, grief. Missing children, violence and gangs.
Overall I loved the whole story, the relationships, the way she works and the honest and raw feelings she has to deal with about her past and her career. It may have been my first Lisa Gardner book, but it won't be my last.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for gifting me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
4.5/5
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and Lisa Gardner for the eARC, in exchange for an honest review.

Before She Disappeared is a fabulous, gritty read.

A gripping storyline with  well-rounded, believable characters.

I would highly recommend.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Lisa Gardner has done it again! Before She Disappeared is a standalone thriller about Frankie, an ordinary person who looks for missing people after the police and rest of the world have given up. The characters are well-developed and feel real. I thoroughly enjoyed the character Frankie. The story has a nice amount of suspense and twists throughout. Highly recommended to those who enjoy mysteries.
I'd never read any Lisa Gardner crime novels before, but I'm glad I started with this one. It's a stand alone, but I'm hoping it's the first of a few if she decides to write a series.

The narrative introduces Frankie ,a loner who moves from place to place, searching out people who have gone missing and who have never been found.  She's tough, determined and likeable. She has a talent for talking to people, for finding information and convincing people to help her.

This story focusses on her search for a young girl called Angel. She finds a job working in a bar, and although the environment is hostile, she wins people over - and even manages to befriend the nasty cat that lives in her rooms above the bar. In my opinion what carries a good crime novel is the personality of the main character and forming a connection with them. Frankie has personality in spades. I found myself rooting for her and wanting to read more about her. When she moves on, inevitably, I felt slightly bereft.
It's a great read, a strong narrative and I enjoyed it immensely.

May we have more, please?

WIth thanks to NetGalley and Random House for the copy in return for an honest review.