Cover Image: Seven Days in June

Seven Days in June

Sensual, smart, and socially conscious, Seven Days in June is one of the most enjoyable books you’ll read all year. Tia Williams’s latest novel has the sort of detail and emotional resonance that it feels deeply personal, and thus is compulsively readable. While deeply rooted in the Black literary circle and creole history, and populated entirely by black characters, this book is somehow not exclusionary, nor is it to be relegated to the niche of black romance or erotica. The author refuses to fall into cliches of any genre, making the book accessible to people of any race or background and fans of highbrow literature, fantasy, Women’s fiction, and romance.
This is one of those rare books that succeeds in portraying deeply flawed individuals who are still likable. My most common gripes with characters are: they’re too perfect/innocent, they’re one-dimensional archetypes, or they’re interesting but wholly unlikable. There’s none of that here. Even the secondary characters are well developed.
On par with the characters is the plot. Here, we have multiple timelines, complex family histories woven into the fabric of our protagonists, art imitating life, career and creative struggles and successes, social status and racial issues, mental health issues, all wrapped up in a star-crossed romance. There’s so much going on, and so many layers, all working in tandem, but Williams is always in control, never getting preachy or lost down a rabbit hole. The author maintains sight of her guiding light: Gia and Shane.
4.5 stars.

Finally, an extremely well written romance novel that I was able to gobble up in two sittings!

This story follows Eva, an accomplished erotica writer, and Shane, a well-respected literary author, who re-connect as adults in New York, 20 years after their emotional high school fling.

My complaint with romance novels has always been their lack of depth. We never really get a glimpse into real-life issues, and the characters rarely ever have to tackle any hard obstacles along the way. This story broke that mold completely. Tia Williams writes about an all-black cast of characters and tackles racism, alcoholism, drug addiction, self-harm, single motherhood, and chronic pain, and she does it beautifully. Eva and Shane, as teenagers and as adults, are both dealing with some brutal stuff, but they manage to have an authentic and beautiful connection through it all, and it results in a swoon-worthy love story.

My only issue with this story is that I think we could've done without the typical romance trope of a misunderstanding that occurs between the lovers in the last quarter of the book, but this is just a personal romance novel pet-peeve of mine.

This book is sexy, heart-warming, and heart-breaking, all at once. I whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a great romance to read.
RATING: 4.5 STARS
2021; Grand Central Publishing

OMG, this was a great excerpt!!! It really drew me in.  I wasn't planning to read this one anytime soon.  It was on my list because I am doing the RBC reading challenge.  Then. This. Excerpt. Happened.  So good.  I actually downloaded and requested a copy from the publisher.  I am so happy to have my own copy.

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley, and hardcover from the Publisher. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
I read this book and then reread as part of Reese's book club.  I really enjoyed the characters.  There are some racy sex scenes in it but overall I enjoyed it.  I would recommend reading it.
Seven Days in June by Tia Williams was a great read. I will feature it as Book of the Day on all my social media platforms, and I included it in my monthly roundup of new releases for my Black Fiction Addiction blog.
This book was just ok for me. I liked the backstory of the characters more than I liked their current day story. I found her daughter more annoying than cute, and I was just more frustrated that none of the characters seemed to want to really change.
This is different than a typical romance – there are a lot of complex issues explored and I enjoyed reading it! I really liked the characters and rooted for Shane and Eva from the first page. Their rekindled romance is complicated from a past of misunderstandings and unknown circumstances. Throughout the pages, we come to see what split them apart all those years ago, while also rooting for them to be able to find forgiveness to move forward together.

One aspect I really liked about the book was the exploration of an invisible disability – Eva suffers from severe and debilitating migraines – and feel it adds a lot to the conversation of having compassion and empathy for people because we are not always privy to what is actually going on with others. “Sick” does not always have a “look”, and I really remember this when my mom was going through chemotherapy for cancer. The nueropathy got so bad that she would often need to get one of those motorized shopping carts and people would give her the rudest looks thinking she was just too lazy to walk. Yes, on the outside, she looked perfectly capable, but she couldn’t feel her feet so she was nervous to fall down, and after too much walking, her legs would just give out. Anything that helps highlight how we can be better humans will come highly recommended by me!

Everything about this one feels like the perfect summertime read, so be sure to add it to your TBR!
Single mother Eva is known for the erotica fantasy romance series that she has written.  Although she writes steamy books, her real life is lacking in that department.  When popular writer Shane Hall shows up at an author event, Eva is thrown into a tailspin.  She hasn’t seen Shane in fifteen years since they were 17 years old. They spent seven glorious days together and he left her without a goodbye or explanation.  Now he is back, wanting to reconnect and Eva doesn’t know if she can bear getting her heart broken by him again.

This was an amazing second chance romance!  The story alternates between the present time and those seven days Eva and Shane spent together when they were young and you get a real sense of how deep their connection was from the start.  They both were lost, barely surviving life and their relationship saved each of them from going down a road of complete darkness.  This book is heavy on loss and mental health struggles and it cut me really deep.  The stories of their childhood were heartbreaking.

When Shane and Eva reconnected as adults, they still have that fiery chemistry.  I love the confidence each of them have developed in their adult lives.  I also loved that they still didn’t have their shit completely together as adults because that is real life!

The social commentary on the need for more Black-centered literature and how much Black authors struggle in a White dominated field is insightful and important in this book.  Eva struggles with supporting herself and her daughter while maintaining her integrity and advocacy for BIPOC authors.

Does anyone else wish that Cursed was a real book???  I was so intrigued by the storyline of Eva's fantasy series and I wish it was real so I could dive in!

Steam level: 🔥🔥🔥
⚠️: substance abuse, overdose, self harm, suicidal thoughts, death of a loved one, chronic illness
I loved this! Although I don’t read romances often, I almost always read rom coms when I do. This book made me realize that I’d like to start reading more romances like this one: a story where there is some humor thrown in, but it essentially tells a serious love story.

For me, this book was unique in a lot of ways (the first way being it’s a romance, not a rom com).  Another way was that I found Eva’s daughter Audre, a 12-year-old girl, to be so likable! I typically don’t love when children are main characters in adult narratives, but Audre was so endearing I had to make an exception for her.  I also appreciated the attention the book gives to Eva’s migraine condition.  While I don’t experience migraines as often as Eva, migraines affect my life, and it was nice to see a character having to deal with them.  One thing I especially loved were the chapter titles! To title the chapters, Williams picked a funny line from each chapter. Chapters are hardly ever titled in adult books, and I always wonder about that! I thought this little detail definitely added to my appreciation of the story.

I really don’t think there was anything I didn’t like about this book!

My rating: 4.5 stars

Thank you to Grand Central and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
This book deserves the hype it got. Tia Williams is an excellent author and the story was beautiful. I loved Eva so much and her story just broke me over and over.
Tia Mercy is a divorced single mother and erotica author, who is in a bit of a slump in almost every aspect of her life, some of it due to her invisible disability. Her next book is due, but she simply is no longer inspired. Shane Hall is an award winning writer in his professional life and a tortured soul in his personal one, he can no longer write now that he is sober, so teaching the elite while educating troubled youths are career goals, yet he knows he is lacking personal ones. Tia and Shane have been writing about and to each other in their literary works for years, can rekindling their  romance in real life, not as the troubled teens they used to be but as reformed adults, be the balm needed  for both personal and professional life? Well pick up Seven Days June experience this second chance romance for yourself.

Seven Days in June is a fantastic women's fiction novel sprinkled with a perfect blend of romance. I was hooked from the very first page. I wanted to know more about Tia and Shane from the first time each character was introduced, they had amazing chemistry yet, I was a bit disturbed by how much I was drawn to their past backstory as two broken teens whom experienced fleeting yet extremely, extremely unhealthy romance, I think that is a testament to Ms. William's writing, because I am not sure I would be rooting for this relationship in real life. Yet, after learning more I was still eager to ship these two characters because it was so obvious how much work they put in to become better more healthy versions of themselves.  As a native New Yorker I generally do not like books set in NYC, I have always felt that writers spend too much time describing it that it can take away from the storyline, surprisingly I did not feel this was with Seven Days In June, the city became the perfect backdrop for Shane and Tia to rekindle their long lost love, I was experiencing the city through them with new eyes. One of the reasons this is not just a romance but quality women's fiction is because along the way we get the perspective of several characters who add layers to Tia and Shane's story such as Audre Tia's precocious daughter as well as other charming and trifling characters, whose point of view made the story richer. Droll and still dramatic, amorous but still amusing, unexpectedly earnest yet still really entertaining as a light read, Seven Days in June delivers in my opinion the reader will never stop rooting for the perfectly imperfect characters, Tia and Shane.
I loved this book. It was such a ride - I couldn't put it down, and I can't say that about many books this year. This was so full of emotion, heartache, love and contemporary life. This was such a book for book nerds lol. Loved all the author and book references. It was just a genuinely good book with likable (even at their worst) and relatable characters.
A unique story about love and forgiveness. With a captivating style, Tia Williams tells the past and present story of Eva and Shane and the connection they have. For Seven Days in June, they live an intense romance that has the power of destroying them.
When I first heard about this book, I never thought I would end up enjoying it so much. It is a different story: characters that are complex and that have so much history (individually and between them), a plot that is interesting, and a writing style that mesmerizes you and that keeps you reading for hours. Eva and Shane are both great main characters, with flaws and fears that feel authentic. Audre was amazing and I loved her relationship with Eva.
The story is not a light romance but it does not feel heavy either. It has fun moments, drama and some raunchy scenes too. Being both writers, Eva and Shane share with us some aspects of their careers, and it was a part I enjoyed reading too.
What I liked the most about Seven Days in June is how intense and raw are Eva and Shane’s feelings. Williams did an amazing job portraying their past and present selves and all the feelings they have about life, loss and for each other.
I did not know that to expect about the ending but I liked the way things were, it felt real, but I would have liked this to develop maybe in more length.
Considered me now a fan of Tia Williams, I am definitely looking forward to reading more of her work.
Oh my goodness. This was so absolutely heartbreaking. I loved both of these characters so much and all of the side characters were so wildly well rounded. This was so tough to read at times, just because there is SO much going on emotionally with the characters, but this was absolutely breathtaking to read. It was romantic, traumatic, and just so well written. One of my favorite books of the year!
I know I've said recently that second chance romances have slipped from the top spot on my list of favourite tropes. But I was really intrigued when I head about Tia Williams' Seven Days in June. Sure there's a second chance romance to it but this novel didn't seem like a typical romance. It seemed deeper and more angsty and it made for a read that I was totally invested in.

Here's the book's description:
Brooklynite Eva Mercy is a single mom and bestselling erotica writer, who is feeling pressed from all sides. Shane Hall is a reclusive, enigmatic, award-winning literary author who, to everyone's surprise, shows up in New York.
When Shane and Eva meet unexpectedly at a literary event, sparks fly, raising not only their past buried traumas, but the eyebrows of New York's Black literati. What no one knows is that twenty years earlier, teenage Eva and Shane spent one crazy, torrid week madly in love. They may be pretending that everything is fine now, but they can't deny their chemistry-or the fact that they've been secretly writing to each other in their books ever since.

Over the next seven days in the middle of a steamy Brooklyn summer, Eva and Shane reconnect, but Eva's not sure how she can trust the man who broke her heart, and she needs to get him out of New York so that her life can return to normal. But before Shane disappears again, there are a few questions she needs answered. . .
While the second chance thing had me intrigued, I was also looking forward to reading about a couple of authors. I just love bookishness in my reading material. I'm not totally sure why. I mean, I know I'm totally obsessed with books so that's a huge part of it. But it's kind of...meta, I guess?...to read a story by an author about authors. I loved that Williams threw the characters into so many Black Literati events and had every type of book lover and industry professional depicted. There were the hardcore readers who embraced the fandom, genre authors and literary darlings, publishers, editors, book reviewers and influencers. It was great. It also really made me miss book events!

Eva and Shane's relationship was, in a word, intense. It was off the charts bananas and the truth of what had happened to them fifteen years prior (the first seven days in June) just about broke my heart. It was a tough situation to begin with but then you learn more about it and I was so sad and so infuriated. And the romantic in me was distraught over all the lost time (but the realist in me understood, as the couple did, that maybe they can only work because they're older and aren't reckless teenagers). Their attraction almost seemed far-fetched but the comments from the people around them, like Audre, Eva's daughter, and Cece, their editor, made it clear that they were so much happier and healthier when they were together. That means something.

I don't know if I think all books need to be classified into a specific sub-genre but I still found myself sort of struggling to fit this novel into a box. I wouldn't call it a romance and it's not a rom com - though it does have super steamy romantic elements and it's wicked smart, it's just not laugh out loud funny. It falls into that large, vague contemporary fiction space that gets defined very differently if you're a man or a woman. And, I imagine, if you're a white woman or a Black woman. Regardless of what genre you could shove this into, it's a really good read that hits all the emotions you encounter in life.

I don't have an invisible illness like Eva, who suffered from debilitating migraines, but I do know that those kinds of disabilities (among many, many others) aren't seen in fiction all that often. I hadn't realized until the last several years how important it is to be able to see yourself reflected in the fiction you consume (whether that's books, TV, movies, and so on) because I'm straight, white woman. Eva's illness is a large part of her life, of course, but it doesn't define her and it doesn't define the novel and I think Williams found the perfect balance in this book (she does thank her own migraine doctor in the acknowledgements).

Seven Days in June is worth a read. It's raw and real. It's sexy and smart. It's probably a few other alliterative adjectives. Tia Williams has written a few other adult novels (and YA novels) that I'm going to have to check out because I really loved her voice and writing style.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the Canadian distributor, Hachette Book Group Canada, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*
Eva and Shane shared one intense week together in their final days of high school.  Years later, both successful writers, their worlds collide again.  With some nudging from her daughter and a literary executive, their paths continue to cross.  I was staring to get worried as the book came to a close, but the epilogue pulled it all together.  A good non-fluffy beach read.
From a rather unexpected rom-com-like start to the deeper twists and turns that brought humanity and depth to the characters in ways unexpected, Williams has brought a story that manages to honor the issues of expectation, failure, addiction and illness in ways that allow readers to understand choices made, even the bad ones, and empathize with, if not see oneself, the characters.

Eva is a thirty-something author with a paranormal erotica series that features vampires and star-crossed lovers, but her next installment is proving harder to write. Her chronic illness has flared up and leaves her unable to leave her bed for days on end, her tween daughter is finding things difficult in school, and quite frankly, Eva is just not feeling it right now. She’s worried that her muse isn’t interested in the stories that pay the bills but would rather write of her own family – women who’ve been “cursed’ and found trials and challenges that are beyond the normal ones you’d expect. Of course, her editors and publisher want the next book – now.  And, to top things off, she’s got to attend a literary event – that she’s not been able to prepare for because life intervened with other more pressing (or intriguing) options.

Award winning and enigmatic author Shane Hall appears (much to Eva’s surprise) at this event, and the literary world is watching. Neither can share that years ago they spent a week together – a week fueled by youth, drugs, drink and sex – and never spoke after.  Shane’s aged and changed in those years – he's now two years sober – but the connection between he and Eva is as strong, or stronger. Neither forgot the other – that's apparent in their writing – but will they actually SEE what’s in front of them and admit it to themselves, let alone one another?  The chemistry jumps off the pages when these two interact, their conversations alternate between hilariously funny and surprisingly sweet, and despite all the outside forces pulling at them both – makes the story one where you want them to get it together and make it work.

And while I loved their story and the way that Williams managed to work in all sorts of outside issues that were far deeper than the earliest pages of the story promised me – there was a sort of disconnect between the timeframe, the consistency of emotion and the blatant laying out of the characters on the pages, allowing an instant recognition of who was who – particularly in the last 12 – 15 percent of the novel.  The texting felt modern and ‘today’ but was rushing us to an endpoint that was strangely devoid of the heart, hope and depth that the earlier parts of the book brought.  While the writing and the characters were people I wanted to know and see together – letting them find the happy ending they both deserved, I felt as if we had missed something along the way. I enjoyed the book nonetheless and loved getting to know Eva and see her interactions with her friends, family and the people around her – and even her struggles with her muse, and her desires versus her “I should”, even when the two were totally opposite. Grab this book and read it – there's plenty to love and discovering a new author and perspectives you’ve not found before makes even more reasons to grab it.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at <a href=” https://wp.me/p3OmRo-aV9 /” > <a> I am, Indeed </a>
This is an immersive and beautifully drawn love story of two authors who find their way back to each other after writing about one another for many years, refusing to come to terms with the painful way they lost touch with each other. The romance is sizzling and spicy. There is a sweet relationship between the main character and her teenage daughter, as well. The writing is authentic and characters are true to life, allowing readers to easily picture them while reading. Thank you for the review copy of this title. Lovely story!
Past and present. Heart and humor. Then and now. Who we were and who we are. All of these pairings perfectly describe Tia Williams’s novel Seven Days in June. It’s a steamy romance that is rooted in reality, including the trauma and every day humor of every day life. ⁣
⁣
The novel considers a number of things: who we are in our own stories, who we are in the stories we tell, and who we are in other people’s stories. It reaches into the past and clearly shows how the past can shape the future in terms of all kinds of relationships from friends, mother-daughter, to long lost loves. ⁣
⁣
Told with heart and humor, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good character study, a steamy read, or a book that reminds you of the importance of your present overcoming your past. ⁣
⁣
The story is great. The writing is vivid and accessible. The audiobook was also very enjoyable. Thank you to @netgalley and @grandcentralpub for the ARC.
This book was funny, serious, and downright hot at times. I enjoyed this so much. It covers multiple subjects without feeling like it was trying too hard. I will definitely be recommending this book.