Cover Image: Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop

Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop

It's a good start for a new series, engrossing and entertaining.
The characters are well thought, the setting is lovely and the solid mystery kept me guessing.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Lindsay is starting over in a new town starting a new business. Where disaster strikes at the opening. She makes new friends and together they try to figure out the mystery. There is also some romance involved. It was the first story I read by this author and it kept my interest.

** I received a copy of this book from NetGalley**
I loved this foodie cozy though I did spend a good bit of the book wanting food. But hey with a foodie cozy that might be a good thing. I loved Lindsey, her humor, her sass but especially her sarcasm.  I look forward to the next book in the series.
Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop by Darci Hannah
Publisher: Kensington Books
Genre: Mystery & Thrillers
Release Date: February 23, 2021

Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop is the first book in a new series by Darci Hannah. This is actually the first book I've read by the author and I really enjoyed it!

This was such a fun cozy mystery! I loved the small town setting and all of the characters! I found the mystery so exciting! This was a great book and I can't wait to see what is coming up in the future books! (Isn't the book cover just the cutest!)

The next book in the series, Murder at the Christmas Cookie Bake-Off, is set to release in September of this year. I can't wait to read it!

I'm so grateful to Darci Hannah, Kensington Books, and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this ARC ebook in exchange for my honest review.
Wall Street whiz Lindsey Bakewell has abandoned her entire life in New York City following her discovery of her (now ex-)fiance, hot-shot restaurateur Jeffrey Plank cheating on her with his pastry chef, Mia Long. In a moment of drunken self-pity, she decides to buy a dilapidated lighthouse in a Michigan town she has fond memories of visiting as a girl, with a view towards converting the structure into a bake shop and cafe where she can follow her life-long dream of running a bakery.

Not everyone is thrilled by her plans, however. Notorious local rabble rouser Fiona Dickel is upset at anyone rehabbing the historic lighthouse, never mind that it would have been torn down for luxury condos if Lindsey hadn’t intervened. So it isn’t a huge surprise when Fiona brings a group of protestors to mar the Beacon Bakeshop’s grand opening. What is a surprise is the sudden appearance of Jeffrey and Mia all the way from New York City, the latter of whom especially causes a huge commotion. Lindsey is determined to grit her teeth and see the day through, but the Bakeshop is forced to shut down after all when Mia suddenly chokes on a donut mid-protest and keels over.

After Mia’s death is found to have been caused not by an accidentally restricted airway but by a deliberate dose of cyanide, Lindsey becomes prime suspect in her murder. Worse, the Bakeshop must stay closed indefinitely while she and the premises are investigated. Determined to clear her name, Lindsey recruits her influencer best friend Kennedy Kapoor as well as Wellington, her gentle giant of a Newfoundland, to help her solve the case.

I loved Darci Hannah’s Very Cherry mystery series so was all set to fall in love with her new cast of quirky city-types converging on a lovely Michigan lakeside town. While I didn’t find them quite as charming as I’d expected given my prior experience with Ms Hannah’s writing, Wellington, or Wellie for short, exceeded expectations as a delightful canine companion. Most importantly, the mystery was intriguingly layered. I also really enjoyed the food and baking descriptions, and thought the inclusion of both the romance and the paranormal element tidily done.

Over ten recipes were included in this volume, and since I was in the mood for a savory baked good, I decided to try out this one:

Bacon and Spinach Quiche

Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook time: 35 to 40 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

1 piecrust (use your favorite premade or homemade crust)
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie plate with crust and crimp the edges.

In medium bowl whisk milk, eggs, salt, and pepper and set aside.

On bottom of piecrust, layer cooked bacon, Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, and scallions. Pour egg mixture over the top and bake 15 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue to bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
END QUOTE

I love a good quiche, and this was no different! However, I did have trouble sourcing the bacons I prefer, so decided to get a little crazy and use beef scrapple instead, which I found a perfectly adequate substitute. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that substitution unless you’re a fan of offal though, as I am. I also thought I’d have to shred some sharp provolone, since I couldn’t find the parmesan my husband had hidden in the refrigerator, but I finally unearthed it so the rest of my cooking went as I and the recipe planned.

Until, that is, near the very end, where I found that my custard was just not setting! I had to bake it at 350 degrees for fifteen more minutes to get it to set properly. Since my oven does tend to run cool, other bakers may find that they need less time: regardless, a maximum of 40 minutes does seem a little on the low end for a quiche, especially at a finishing temperature of 325 degrees. The end result was very delicious and worth the extra time though.

Next week, we head back east to solve the murder of a local curmudgeon while whipping up a sweet, multi-purpose condiment. Do join me!
Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop by Darci Hannah is the first book in a new series. More interested in kneading dough than adding it up, Lindsey's breakup inspired her to set up the shop she always wanted in a place that always made her happy. She'd spent many childhood summers near this beach community and converting the old run-down lighthouse into a bakery café and home offers a perfect fresh start for Lindsey and her devoted Newfoundland dog, Wellington. But not everyone in town has a sweet tooth. The preservation society won't have the lighthouse's history sugar coated by lattes and cakes--and a protest group crashes Lindsey's Memorial Day opening. Then her ex-fiancé Jeffrey Plank and his girlfriend Mia Wong arrive to trash the place. In the ensuing chaos Mia chokes on a donut and dies. An autopsy reveals cyanide in Mia's bloodstream and Lindsey is the police's prime suspect. To clear her name, she's going to need to combine ingredients found in the town's checkered past to uncover the identity of a desperate killer.

Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop is a good series starter, but still manged to keep the mystery on point. I really enjoyed the character building. I liked Lindsey and her approach to the world. I liked Rory as a mysterious neighbor, and the growing circle of friends and acquaintances. I thought the ghost story and added mystery was a good touch, and was woven into the larger story very well. The food talk, and the recipes at the end, were also welcome extras to the story.  I adored the small town feel and the truth that even the smallest towns have secrets.I though the murder mystery was very well plotted and executed. While I had my suspicions about some aspects of the case, the final reveal was a surprise to me. I was glad to be taken by surprise, and see how everything came together at the end. I am interested to see where the series goes from here.

Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop is a mystery with a nice balance of world building for the series and twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.
Release Date: February 23rd 2021

Who leaves a solid finance career in NYC to buy a lighthouse in Michigan? Well Lindsey does after she after she finds her fiancé cheating on her! Thanks to her best friends impressive social media skills Lindsey’s bakery takes off. Things are great...until the cheating ex brings in Mia the mistress. Then things go from bad to worse when Mia dies in the bakery, making Lindsey the top suspect. She needs to clear her name and fast!

I was ambivalent about this book. It didn’t draw me in like most #cozymysteryseries books do. I LOVED Wellington. He’s was a highlight to the book. I wouldn’t read it again but it didn’t seem like a waste of my time. It truly was just meh for me.

#bookstagram #murderatbeaconbakeshop #bookrecommendations #netgalley #cozymystery
This is a great start to a new cozy mystery series. I really enjoyed getting to know Lindsey and the residents of Beacon Harbor. It is a well written mystery that kept me guessing until the end. I look forward to reading more books in this series.

I received an advanced copy for NetGalley and the publisher in return for my honest review. Thank you for the opportunity.
This book has plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing.  I liked this book and thought it was a great start to a new series.  This book is great for fans of cozy mysteries featuring bakeries and lakeside small towns.  And Wellington is a bonus.
Eating a donut may be bad for your health but it most certainly should not be deadly! Lindsey Bakewell (and yes she can), former financial wonder woman and recovering baker (recovering from a jerk fiancé) has decided to leave New York for a quite lake town in Michigan, after all, she made it there, so she and her pup Wellington, can make it anywhere. Buying a dilapidated landmark lighthouse, thereby saving it from developers, and renovating it into a bake shop and home, she has her work cut out for her. You would think that the preservation society would be happy, you would think. You can tell right away that this is one determined character. She has a lot riding on opening day and doesn't help that her ex-fiancé shows up with his girlfriend and her followers/friends to cause a mess of trouble and a mess. While Lindsey might have wished that Mia would just choke on her words she did not mean for her to choke to death! Teaming up with her sexy and secretive book writing, former military, neighbor to get to the bottom of this mystery because there is more than just dough riding on the outcome. Your typical cozy town with some extremely awesome characters, especially her pup who Perfect series starter and the recipes, OMG, I think I gained 10 pounds just reading through them!
Although not a book I would purchase in my professional role, it is one that I will be recommending in my personal life!  Thank you so much for allowing me to have access to the digital arc!
I read and enjoyed the author's "Very Cherry" mystery series, so it is not surprising that I also enjoyed this one, especially as it is set in Michigan!  Go Blue!
Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop by Darci Hannah is the debut of A Beacon Bakeshop Mystery series.  I thought this was a delightful story.  It is well-written with developed characters.  The author took the time to introduce us to Lindsey Bakewell and her dog, Wellington.  After catching her fiancé with his pastry chef, Lindsey is given the advice to follow her dream.  Thankfully, Lindsey invested well and has a solid portfolio.  It allows her to purchase a rundown lighthouse in Beacon Harbor, Michigan that she renovates into living quarters, bakery, and café.   Lindsey is smart, loyal, independent, and has a good heart.  She is also an excellent baker.  I love Wellington.  He is a large, fun, friendly dog.  We are introduced to the charming town of Beacon Harbor and its friendly (most of them) residents.  Unfortunately, Fiona Dickel is not happy with Lindsey purchasing a historical landmark and improving its appearance.   The mystery was entertaining.  A bruhaha on opening day leads to the death of Lindsey’s ex-fiancé’s lover.  Lindsey finds herself at the top of the suspect list and her bakery closed.  She has no choice but to investigate.  With help from her bestie, Kennedy Kapoor and her new friends, Lindsey asks questions, does research, and looks for clues.  There are several good suspects in this whodunit along with subtle clues (you have to pay close attention to details to find some of them).  I enjoyed piecing together the clues and figuring out who is behind the poisoning.  There is action that kept the book moving rapidly forward toward the conclusion.  The conclusion was eventful and complete.  There is a hint of paranormal in the story.  It is said that the ghost of Captain Willy Riggs haunts the lighthouse.  I enjoyed the ghost legends and how it was incorporated into the story.  Lindsey and her neighbor, Rory Campbell hit it off from their first meeting.  He asks her out to dinner right away.  I did feel there was a wee bit too much romance (for a cozy mystery) and that it was happening too fast (I prefer the romance to play out slowly over the course of the series).  Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop is a delightful cozy mystery with delectable donuts, a wandering Wellington, an enticing neighbor, a fashionista friend, a guileful ghost, and a busy baker.
What a great start to a new cozy series. Lindsey has had enough of the New York financial world having made a lot of money but now with a broken heart when she catches her fiance doing the horizontal tango with his pastry chef, Mia. While drowning her sorrows, Lindsey happens upon a real estate ad for a charming Michigan light house. Perfect - chuck New York, move to Lake Michigan and open a bakery in the light house and also live on site. As they say, best laid plans and all that....let's just say that the lighthouse has great bones and potential and needs oodles of cash to bring it back to its glory. On the big day, the grand opening is marred by a group of local protestors who would rather the lighthouse remain as it was intended. Add to that? Her ex and the pastry chef, Mia, show up and soon pastry is being used as artillery and Mia meets a sticky end. By poisoned donut. Let the investigating begin. Might there be a real, honest to goodness ghost joining the team to uncover the killer?
I was hooked on this mystery from the first page and enjoyed every page. The characters, the setting, the ghost and a sweet, big goofy dog. And yummy donuts, too. What was there not to like?
My thanks to the publisher Kensington and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. I loved the characters, the setting and the best - Welly the Newfoundland.

Lindsey Bakewell catches her fiancé in a compromising position involving Himalayan sea salt, gets a little tipsy and buys a lighthouse in Michigan, sight unseen. She follows her dream to open her own bake shop, The Beacon Bakeshop in a small town in Michigan. Except an anti-development posse (7 people is not a group) and a murder spoil her opening day and now she is a murder suspect. Lindsey just wants to get back to baking and starts doing her own snooping.

No spoilers but the ending was a doozy. This was a good whodunit in terms of red herrings and worthy of Dame Agatha herself. I very much enjoyed reading this book and was very sad when it ended because I wanted more story. The treats in this book sound absolutely mouthwatering. The colorful cast of characters including a retired Navy SEAL, a British publicist (and Lindsey's best friend) and her pooch make this a wonderful, colorful story that will keep the pages turning.

Publisher if you read this review, I want many, many more of these! Thank you Netgalley for the ARC.
New to me author that took some getting used to. Lots of twists and turns and the bad guys shocked me. Fun ending, though! Excited to read more!
This is a lovely book that makes for a pleasant afternoon's reading. I am looking forward to reading more in the series.
This is a fun read with a great mystery and some mouthwatering recipes. The plot was well crafted and the cast of characters were quirky and fun. The mystery kept me guessing until the very end. This is a great cozy mystery and a wonderful start to a new series. This is my first read by Darci Hannah and I can't wait to read more.

I received a free copy of this book via #Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving a review
I absolutely loved this whole adventure from Lindsey's buying the dilapidated lighthouse to the awesome showdown with the killer. There were some fun and well-developed characters that I came to really like a lot, and sweet Welly the Newfoundland definitely helped save his mom's life at the end. A lot of people had secrets, some of which were good, and others weren't so good. It was so funny in some parts, and I got to the point where I could hear Fran Fine the Nanny speaking for Lindsey, lol.

The showdown ranks up there with some of the best I've read, and the ending was just as awesome. Just from the first book, I know I'm going to like this series a lot! I have to admit, I like it a lot better than the Very Cherry cozy series by the same author.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.
When Lindsey Bakewell left her perfectly happy life in New York after catching her boyfriend with another woman. She took her pup Wellington that ate a lot, chewed a lot and pooped a lot to Beacon Harbor Michigan overlooking Lake Michigan with a lighthouse that faced the public beach. She wants to open The Beacon Bakeshop and Cafe since her favorite thing to do was bake which she learned from her grandparents. On the opening day promoted by Betty Vanhoosen and Lindsey’s best friend influencer Kennedy Kapoor draws a crowd. Unfortunately the intended include Fiona Dickel who wants to preserve the lighthouse as a historical land mark. Also there were Jeffery her exboyfriend and Mia the gal he cheated with. A wild scene of flying pastries ensues. Things get worse when Mia dies on the lighthouse lawn presumably poisoned and Lindsey finds herself the prime suspect. Uncovering the killer strains Lindsey’s romance business and puts her in danger.this author wrote a very enjoyable story everyone will like. The characters are very active and make the story real.
A really good start to a new cozy series! I loved the introduction to the community as the main character, a transplant to town, gets to know them. Off the bat we're introduced to a solid love interest, and the baked goods sound delectable. With a really interesting mystery solved in the first one, this is a great kick off.