Cover Image: The Never-Ending Summer

The Never-Ending Summer

A glorious read. Heartwarming, entertaining and beautifully written with truly lovable characters. My first book by this author, hopefully not my last.
I adored this book and its marvellous characters who are so recognisable and relatable. I can’t pick a favourite character; Agnes, Bea, Florence are each wonderful in their own way.
You will feel a kaleidoscope of emotions while reading this book, it is so moving and true and so easy to relate to the characters, their experiences and their highs and lows. Highly highly recommend!

With many thanks to Random House U.K, Cornerstone, Arrow for the opportunity to read this ARC, in return for an honest and unbiased review.
What a delightful read. I thought that I was going to struggle with it but was so glad that I persevered. Set in the 70’s, and how things have changed, thankfully, since then. So many parallel stories, all interconnected but so individual. A definite recommend from me
I struggled with this book to begin with, it didn’t seem to catch my imagination at all, but the further I got into it the more I felt myself engaging with the characters, especially Florence who I felt was like a Phoenix rising from the flames !  Florence’s story made me quite emotional! Agnes and Bea have grown up together in a little village where nothing really happens and they’re both expected to go to secretarial college which they hate the thought of. So they hatch an elaborate plan for them both to pretend to go to France with some girls from school when in reality they’re going to London to lose their virginity and experience life.  This is when it started to get interesting to me.  With the girls away Florence starts to realise how dull and monotonous her life is with her exceedingly boring husband who never notices her and expects her to wait on him hand and foot ! She has an epiphany when her friend leaves her husband and starts having the time of her life.  She has her hair cut, buys some fashionable clothes which her husband never even notices. Armed with a new resolve after he refuses to go to Italy for her birthday she leaves her husband and drives herself to France and begins an exciting adventure. Agnes and Bea mess up completely with their new lives and they fall out after an incident at a festival. There’s a lot of soul searching with Agnes and Bea and they both realise they’ve made a big mistake going to London.  The book ends with a fitting end with all parties happy or well on the way and all loose ends tied up. I thought this book was going to be a bit more comedic judging by the cover and it was the cover that drew me in to request it. I must admit I didn’t read the blurb too closely and I really thought it was about 2 girls driving round during the summer in a camper van having adventures, when in reality the camper van hardly featured at all ! Still all in all a good book but it wasn’t, what I was expecting.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed this book so much more than I expected to. It’s a story of mother and daughter who are both living a life they are unhappy with and feeling the weight of expectation from society. They make life-changing and life-defining decisions for themselves over one long summer that lead them on a path of self discovery and acceptance.

Set in the 70s, themes of independence , feminism, politics and gender expectation are all explored and it’s much more than a ‘chick-lit’ (I struggle with that term but hope you know what I mean).

I liked that there was a resolution for all of the characters and I felt really satisfied with their journeys and ending of the narrative.

An easy read that would be perfect for a sunny garden (or beach if you’re lucky enough!)

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the review copy.
I struggled with this one. Something didn’t quite click and I found myself fairly uninterested so never actually finished it unfortunately
This book tells the story of Agnes and Bea, two bored young ladies plodding through secretarial college to a planned future neither of them want. This is all thrown into disarray when Bea reads The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer. Suddenly the girls want to get away, experience life in full and lose their virginity. Agnes and Bea break ranks and head off for a summer in London, where they meet people and experience things the like of which neither could have imagined before. Set in the early 70s, we are ably transported to that time with fascinating descriptions of people and places. Early Glastonbury Fayre, protests about bunny girls, hedonistic parties, sexual inequality....
Great read ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I had high hopes for this book.  From the description it sounded like something I would enjoy reading but sadly this wasn’t the case.
I persevered but by the time I was almost half way through I still wasn’t enjoying it and it hadn’t got any better so I decided that life’s too short to and I’ve a long list of books waiting to be read so I gave up.
I always feel bad when I don’t complete a book as I feel I owe it to the author and to NetGalley to compete it and review it but the characters lacked any depth, the story line was boring and it just didn’t interest me.
It's the early 1970's. Bea and Agnes have finished secretarial college but neither wants to be a secretary. Florence, Agnes's mother, is married to William, who barely notices her. Marjory, Florence's friend, leaves her husband and Florence realises she could do the same.

All three women set about changing their lives, with unexpected results. The two girls go off to London whilst pretending to be in Europe and end up working for the seedy Mr Adler whilst sharing digs with two other girls, one (Kiki) who is nice and the other (Camilla) who isn't.

Florence wants to go to Italy but William refuses, so she decides to go anyway. He finds himself unable to cope and ends up at his married daughter's home. Florence, meanwhile, has a great time and realises what she wants most of all is to be respected for herself.

The novel is basically about women taking control of their own lives and not being objectified or disappearing into the background. It is also about friendships and how people change.

It took a while to settle into the book and the characters seemed fairly mundane. Florence interested me the most because I could sense her latent resentment and was pleased when she finally recognised it and acted. As the story progressed, the characters began to fill out and it was easier to empathise with them, especially with Agnes. I particularly liked how the book ended as it affirmed the journey all three women had been on.

A good read in the end, despite the slow start.

I was sent an advance review copy of this book by Random House UK, Cornerstone, in return for an honest appraisal.
I haven't read any book over 500 pages in so long but this was a great one to dive into, very entertaining! You can swipe for the brief blurb but essentially I loved that the story is set in the 70s against the backdrop of The Female Eunuch and women's liberation as it's a perspective I've never really read from in a work or fiction before.

I really felt for the characters- Agnes and Bea, 20 year olds on an adventure to be more adult, break away and lose their virginity. I should be more drawn to them as I'm closer in age, but the story I found most compelling was that of Agnes' mother, Florence, who realises a life of domesticity and being a housewife is not what she wants forever and goes on a journey to become the woman she wants to be. I love that each chapter is from a differing perspective and feeds into each other.

This is not your average summer read! I thought it was going to be light and fun but it really explores some big themes. If you're looking for something a bit meatier then this is for you!
A well written novel with two main characters plus the parents of  one of the girls.. This is a funny romantic novel that I think most people should enjoy. 4 stars from me.

Thanks to NetGalley and publisher for this ARC.
Set in 1971.
Two young women set off on an adventure to find themselves before settling down.
And one of their mothers decides to do the same thing .
This book is well written with believable characters.
Thanks NetGalley
This is genuinely a wonderful read with a superb range of fantastic characters whom I have adored from the very beginning. This book is centred around love, finding yourself and friendship. It is definitely a book that must be on the TBR.

Kennedy has produced well written characters who have really been brought to life in this one. I have found myself invested in Agnes and Bea, I have loved the journey with them. Kennedy allows us to transport to the 1970s which I have found really interesting.

This is a completely heartwarming and inspiring read that I have devoured. I have been completely unable and unwilling to put this down. This is an enlightening trip and journey with some amazing characters.

This is definitely a read that I will be highly recommending and I absolutely cannot wait to read more by this author.
I’m probably about the same age as the author and thought she evoked the feeling of being a young adult in the 1970s really well.
Bea and Agnes are friends whose lives are just beginning. They decide to go to
London and lose their virginity, but things don’t go according to plan.
Meanwhile Agnes’ mother Florence is struggling with her loveless marriage and decides to escape and to have a holiday - a journey of self-discovery - in France and Italy.
This is a coming-of-age tale for all concerned.
The themes of this novel are friendship, love and self-discovery.
I didn’t always feel for the characters - it took me a while to believe in them as more than stereotypes, but this novel and the people in it did grow on me.
By the end they felt real and i mourned their loss!
In summary: this is a light and evocative read. Perfect for those who want a whiff of nostalgia, some major social issues addressed in an accessible way, and a sweet coming-of-age story.
This had a really interesting storyline set in the 1970s which i started off thinking if I could connect to the characters or not, I loved reading about how the characters were growing up in London after their exams. I preferred the story of Agne's Mum though, but can't say too much without giving spoilers.
i found this book really thought provoking. Set in the very early 1970s it amazed me how much changed between then and a decade later when I was a teenager. The difference in the life of a wife and mother, and the life of a young woman. The stifling lifestyle expected of Agnes and Bea, and the rut that Florence felt her life had to be. This was joyful as the women discovered who they should be. It wasn't all plain sailing and there were some hilarious adventures along the way. I didn't expect to be thinking so much about life and its progression on reading this, and having a frank discussion around the issues it raised in my mind with friends. Excellent read. #netgalley #theneverendingsummer
3/5 🌟 Thanks to the publisher for the e-ARC in exchange of an honest review. ❤️

The Never-Ending Summer had a really interesting storyline! It's set during 1971, so I was very excited to see if I could relate to the characters belonging to a different time period. I ended up having mixed feelings about the book. 😅

The story started off with a promising touch, but kind of fell short with the execution of the main characters' Agnes and Bea's lives. I couldn't connect to them at all. 😩 I enjoyed knowing about their experiences in London though. Just wanted to see a more fleshed out  character development from both Agnes and Bea, that's all.

I unexpectedly loved reading about Florence, Agnes' mom! 😍 The secondary plotline surrounding her was the best part of The Never-Ending Summer in my opinion. Her struggles with her marriage were very thoughtfully written. I empathized with her, and cheered her all throughout her trip to Europe! Her growth was remarkable in my opinion. :')
I really liked the idea of this story. Set in 1971, Agnes and Bea just finished their exams. They live a dull, predictable life and adult future seems no more exciting. It's the time of second wave feminism. After reading Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch, they hatch a plan to spend a month in London and lose their virginity.
I found the first half of this book hard going. I know that it was deliberately dull to contrast the events that happened in London but I nearly gave up. It was only the side story about Florence, Agnes' boring mum, questioning her humdrum life, that kept me going. As her last child moves out, she decides that she needs some excitement and when her husband won't take her away, decides to go on a road trip any way.
By the end of the summer, the whole family dynamic has changed.
A nice read.  I didn't enjoy the storyline between the 2 main characters as much as I did that of Agne's mum and dad.  Nice characters and well written.
Unfortunately this was a DNF for me at 25%. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and found Agnes and Bea particularly irritating. Considering they were twenty years old I thought they acted very immature. After trying with the book for a couple of weeks I've decided to put it down for now and maybe try again a different time.

I have seen a lot of lovely reviews for this book and there are many out there who seem to enjoy it but on this occasion something wasn't working for me.