Cover Image: Into Darkness

Into Darkness

Into Darkness is a fun middle-grade novel about a boy whose stuffed animals come alive to protect him.  This is the second book in the series and while I did not read the first, I found it easy to follow.  The main story is about the kid going to camp and the stuffed animals basically going to war with some monsters to protect the kid.  The main part of the story was good, I enjoyed reading about Clark and the camp but the stuffie side of the story was a bit drawn out.  One thing I found super cool was the instructions on how to make your won Danger Mouse and the instructions for the badge patch.  That was such a cool addition to the story.  All in all, it is a really clever book.
Another one of my favorite authors, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
Look, I love this author and it actually pains me to say this but Into Darkness, was not as interesting as the others in the series. It pays omaje, and that is why I kept reading. But the storytelling is phenomonal.
I requested this without realizing it was a sequel, however I think the book did a decent enough recap that I wasn't lost, just missed out on little inside things. It was still a cute read, and the book included DIY activities like making your own stuffed mouse!

I'm turning thirty-seven this year and I still keep, buy, name, sleep with, and talk to my plushies/stuffies/stuffed animals. When I was a kid, you better believe I thought they came to life while I slept, and I would make sure I said goodnight to every one of them and tucked in whichever ones were sleeping with me. So, this book resonated something nostalgically fierce with me.

Pros: Referenced *Maus* & elasmosaurus & axolotls, has positive message overall and lines/quotes throughout; good example from a Barbie being - "I suspect that if you're lucky and live long enough--you <i>never</i> stop making mistakes.....(L)ife is growth, Stuffy. Change is life. There is no such thing as perfection." No romance present (or, if there was, it was hella subtle), just friendships and love between kids and their toys. Also, a possible subtle trans Stuffy?

Con: Aahhh, no, the author used the falsely spread rumor about eating spiders in your sleep! Alas, everyone has mobile devices now to confirm that, so hopefully readers do their research?

Book ends with a set up for third installment.

By the Grace of the Velveteen!
I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS STORY!!!!!

As someone who has had stuffies since she was a baby, this book--though written for Middle Graders--spoke volumes to me..   The idea that stuffies are trained to fight monsters to keep kids safe as they learn to become brave themselves is so endearing!

My suggestion?  Find your favorite teddy and thank them for all their years of loyal service and read this story to them.  Appreciate them.  By reading this amazing book, you'll understand why.
Foon has been battling monsters for almost a year now  Clark, D.A., and C.L. are ready for summer at Camp I Can. As soon as they get to camp, things don’t feel right. The Camp director, counselors and weather have all changed., as rise to the boiling point on the weekend camp out on the mountain. Foon makes a dangerous journey.
. Liz Braswell did a fantastic job on this sequel, which was to be expected, the only thing I missed in this story compared to the previous book was the cute  conversation Foon makes with the reader. Also, the author once again put in exciting tutorials on how to make badges and more stuffies! The story also ends with a hint of another book coming soon, which I am already excited to read!
DNF at 33%

Thank you to NetGalley and Disney Hyperion for an eARC of this book. All opinions are my own, as usual.

NetGalley really needs to have a series feature similar to Goodreads, because it was not clear that this was a sequel. I didn't give this a rating because I can't decide my opinion on a book that I need to have context going into. That being said, I enjoyed what I read of Into Darkness. The story seemed like it was heading in a fun direction. I loved how we got a few chapters from the Stuffies' perspectives and even instructions on how to make your own Stuffie. This seems like a perfect series for many middle grade readers.
Back into the Fray. Foon has been battling Monsters of the Dark for a year now. Clark, D.A., and C.L. are ready for summer camp at Camp I Can. As soon as they get to camp, things don’t feel right. The Camp director, the counselors, and even the weather have changed. Things come to a head on the weekend camp out on the mountain. Foon makes a dangerous journey. A Monster that he meets has him questioning whether some Monsters can be brought to the Light.
I love the idea of stuffed animals coming alive at night to fight the monsters for their kids. I really enjoyed the first book in this series so, of course, I wanted to read this one.

It was a good book and it added some new elements that were a nice touch. It did not hold my attention as much as the first. I hope to find more books with a similar concept though!
Even if I realize afterwards this was book two and I didn’t read the first one (working on it)
I did enjoy it and catch up easily with the story
I liked the concept of stuffies and the young characters as well! Nice story and I think even if it’s middle grade, us adults can appreciate it! Looking forward for book 1... which sound weird but it’s is what it is lol
I had enjoyed the first book in the series and other books from Ms. Braswell, I'm glad I was able to read this book as it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed being reintroduced to the characters and this work. This story was great and I always enjoy Ms. Braswell's writing style.
I read “Stuffed” before reading the sequel, “Into Darkness,” and it did not disappoint!

The author went to the next level with this story. Initially, I was worried, as the story starts off a bit slow, with nothing much happening. However, the story takes full form when Kris joins the picture. While I was not too fond of Kris, I must admit he brought the story to life. From there, the author terrifically paces the story, especially when Foon starts his quest. The author fills the story with suspense, action, adventure, with beautiful messages that a reader of any age group would enjoy.

On the one hand, I loved the drama between D.A. and C.L. Unfortunately, Clark’s reunion at camp does not go the way he had hoped. I enjoyed how the author tackled this because we face situations where we make new friends growing up, and sometimes we don’t realize who our real friends are. On the other hand, the author fills the book with fantastic adventure moments revolving around Foon. The moments where Foon fights Yechzeken was one of the highlights! Similarly, I loved Foon’s interactions with “Phlebbish” and how the monster questions his beliefs.

However, the only thing I missed in this story compared to book 1 was the cute interruptions Foon makes with the reader. While the first book was more of a children’s novel, this book is a full-on middle-grade adventure. Nevertheless, it is very entertaining! Also, the author once again put in exciting tutorials on how to make badges and more stuffies! The story also ends with a hint of another book coming soon, which I am already excited to read!

Overall, “Into Darkness” is a beautiful middle-grade adventure and a complete entertainer!
I haven’t read the first book in this series, which may have tainted my view a bit, but I still felt it was a 4 star read!  It was very well written, with fun, wittt characters, which I think children will truly enjoy!  I thought it was a fun read, but also one that will give kiddos things to think about!  Cannot wait to get my son to read this one, as even without reading the first it truly captivated me!
I had such a great time reading this book and when it was over I was instantly sad. The plot moved at a fun pace and I loved the characters. A great read for young minds!
I should start by saying that I read this without having read the first book in the series, which created some difficulty with getting into the story. The events from the first book are mentioned, but it was a little hard to keep everything and everyone straight. By the time the kids got to camp I had caught up enough to really start to enjoy this story. This book is a lot of fun. Although some parts might be a little scary for younger readers, it is not too scary for older elementary school students. I enjoyed that the story is told from different points of view, it helped keep the story moving. I also thought the instructions for making your own stuffies was a fun idea for kids who want to feel a part of the story. One of my favorite aspects of this book was that Kris wasn't possessed by the evil doers, he was just a jerk. It's a good lesson for the readers that it's good to meet new people, but to remember that real friends will always have your back.
#IntoDarkness
#MustRead2021
#NetGalley
A second book in the Stuffed series that will make you fall in love with your stuffed animals all over again! What a treasure!
This book was received as an ARC from Disney Publishing Worldwide - Disney-Hyperion in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book was adorable to the max but also adventurous and everyone needs a stuffy to protect them. This book made me become a kid again and bringing back so many childhood memories of summer camp and the fun that came with it including adventures in the dark woods. The bond between Foon and Clark was a special one to the point where Foon risked his life to save Clark from the Monsters of the World of Darkness. I could not help but let a few tears escape me while reading parts of the book. I can totally see this as a Disney Channel Original Series or even a new and upcoming Disney movie in the near future.

We will consider adding this title to our JFiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.