Cover Image: The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton

The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton

This was a sweet and hopeful book that was well written and left me with a smile. I've never read this author before but look forward to more from her!
This book was sold as quirky and similar to Evvie Drake so I signed up to review the advanced readers copy. Unfortunately, I didn't connect with the story or the protagonist, Amy Ashton, who seems a bit uptight and a hoarder. This was a mystery as something happened to her boyfriend and best friend but the timeline jumped around too much and lost me. I easnt engaged just wanted it to end. The ending, however, was wrapped up nicely. It just took much too long to get there. 😪

Thanks to Gallery Books for the opportunity to review via the NetGalley app.
Just finished a brilliant read from another new-to-me UK author, The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton by Eleanor Ray.  It was a deeply reflective novel tackling issues of mental illness, specifically hoarding, while at the same time having a mystery suspense element.  The author spectacularly unravels the reasons and triggers behind what really led to the main character Amy living in a house filled to the ceilings and gardens with all manner of items that she sees as her “treasures.”  Through a alternating dual past and present timeline, the reader learns how each type of particular item is connected to a moment in her past.  Like many others who struggle with mental issues, Amy didn’t start out that way, but traumatic events in her past caused a descent into hoarding behaviors that crippled Amy’s life and prevented progression.  However, although it is a false security, these abundant items give her comfort and stability allowing her to cope with daily life.  Amy had had a ‘normal life’ with the dreams of an artist, a boyfriend she loved, and a best friend like a sister - but when both disappear abruptly at the same time and questions swirl around about a possible relationship and the ultimate betrayal.

Yet one day new neighbors move next door with two boys and their widowed father that start to help bring Amy back to life and moving towards a healthier direction.  There is a return of joy and a reason to let go.  They aren’t the only reason for this needed shift occurring 11 years after Amy’s boyfriend and best friend go missing.  Amy stumbles upon a letter and ring that act as new clues and developments in the mysterious cold case.  Ironically, it had been there all along, but because Amy had let her hoarding get out of control they had remained buried and unseen until the neighbor boys ‘shake things up ’ and ‘break everything right open’.

Eleanor Ray has brought to the reader a heartwarming story of hope without shying away from reality and mental illness.  The author offers an atypical and understandably deeply flawed female protagonist whose future is championed and wished for by the reader.  A reminder or takeaway is given to not judge people solely on appearance and perception, when one doesn’t know the reasons behind their behaviors.  The book shines a spotlight on the much needed current topic of mental health.  This author will be one to watch!!
Single woman whose life turns out differently than she planned. Impact of unresolved trauma on mental health and relationship to hoarding it can have.. This had some unexpected twists and had moments of wonderful connection.
This is exactly the kind of read I enjoy. Amy is struggling with so many things. She's a hoarder and, like many hoarders, doesn't really seem to understand how dangerous this is. She's got some nosy neighbors and when new people move in, children that just won't leave her alone. Will she let people in her life or her home?
I was pleasantly surprised by this book and so happy I had the opportunity to read it. The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton was not lacking in treasures and my antique shopping self was loving every page. I don't know if you are a collector of things or maybe something specific like ceramic cats or coffee mugs with silly sayings, but for me it's old books and anything I spot at the vintage market I can't live without. This book was so unique and the author does such a good job describing each object it made me feel like I could actually picture each beautiful item!
Amy Ashton is stuck in the past and holding onto what could have been, and it's slowly taking over her home. With dreams of being an artist Amy started gathering beautiful objects she could use to create masterpieces, but now those objects are stacking up, in every nook and cranny in her home, stacked up to the ceiling, threatening to tumble at any minute. When Amy's boyfriend and best friend go missing they take her passion for art as well as her heart with them. Now the only friends she has is her ceramic birds, her beautiful pots, her collection of tea cups,the little clocks that don't tick, and lots and lots of ashtrays. (even though Amy isn't a smoker) Old,broken,trash....Amy loves all her possessions and if someone came into her home they would call her a hoarder, but that's exactly why no one is allowed in. Her heart and her home are closed to outsiders.
Everything gets messy when the new neighbors move in and the two little boys start breaking stuff and trespassing in Amy's back garden. Some see her yard as a hazard but Amy sees it as a beautiful over grown jungle of beautiful pots and twirly vines. When one of the pots breaks Amy discovers a note and a ring hidden that start her search for her boyfriend all over again. At the same time Amy is reluctantly starting to enjoy the little boys next door, and their very kind father. Maybe what she needs is closure and the room in her heart and home to let new people in. It's time to be happy and find joy in life and making art, just don't ask her to part with any of her precious items!
What a quirky little book that I absolutely devoured! The characters are ones to fall for despite the seriousness of some of them. I found Amy super relatable and was sad to turn the last page.
This was an interesting read. I really didn't know what to expect. Lots of twists and turns. Amy Ashton seems successful on the outside, but on the inside, she's a mess.

This book is told in alternating chapters of the present-day and flashbacks to a simpler time in her life. There's quite a few twists and turns, some mystery, and a tiny bit of romance. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. My only criticism was that the ending seemed a bit rushed. When I was getting to the 85%-90% mark I was convinced that all the loose ends would never be wrapped up. They were, but it seemed a bit forced.

Thank you NetGalley and Gallery Books for the opportunity to read this digital ARC in return for an honest review.
I love a good quirky character novel and The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton hit the nail on the head.  Amy's emotional story was both sad, happy, and moving.  If you enjoy stories of damaged people rising above their problems, you will love this book.
This book was very moving. By the end I feel like I had journeyed with Amy and her birds.

Amy hoards things, she collects birds, ash trays, lighters although she doesn't smoke, among other things. Her memory box get lost in the towers of stuff, but when it is found, Amy begins to deal with the sorrow and grief that brought her to this point. I thought this was a light hearted read at first but by the end I teared up.  The children in the book felt real and believable and they are the light that helps Amy begin to think about the future and not the past.
After reading the first few chapters of this book I was convinced I knew exactly how it was going to go, but since I liked the characters I continued to read. I was pleasantly surprised that this book doesn't end at all how I thought it would.

I read this book very quickly because toward the end I couldn't put it down. I will admit that the main character, Amy's, house was hard to read about at times for me with all the hoarding. Overall, this is a good read and would make a great beach or fireside read on a vacation.
BOOK REVIEW: The Missing Treasures Of Amy Ashton by Eleanor Ray

For those who love endearingly quirky characters that surprisingly resonate with each of us… Loved it!… ✨😎✨

--------------------

All my reviews can be seen at This Is My Everybody | Books, Lifestyle & Home Ideas for Simple Living | Denise Wilbanks at www.thisismyeverybody.com

You can see my complete book feature on The Missing Treasures Of Amy Ashton at https://www.thisismyeverybody.com/books/2021-books-new-books-coming-out-in-2021-june-books-tbr-books

♡ A big thank you to Eleanor Ray, Gallery Books and NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in my reviews and content are my own… ✨😎✨
The Missing Treasures of Amy Aston (2021) written by Eleanor Ray, is an uplifting mystery centered around missing persons, the passage of time, and the crushing anxiety and grief of not knowing what might have happened. Ray studied at the University of Edinberg, where she earned a M.A. in English Literature, she lives in London with her husband and two children.

Amy Ashton had worked for a large London advertising agency for years and lived alone in a once spacious home. The fact that she “rescued” broken items from neighboring rubbish bins including cracked and broken flower pots that she glued back together—suggests she likely had a psychological disorder. Amy could no longer have her (sympathetic) friends over for tea—there was no room, as she could barely navigate through the mounds of floor to ceiling boxes, bags and miscellaneous “treasures”.

Over a decade ago, her beloved boyfriend Tim vanished with her best friend Chantel. The disappearance was fully investigated by police detective Jack Cooper, who concluded Tim and Chantel had run away together. Amy knew neither Tim (who was on the verge of proposing marriage) or Chantel would betray her.
When Amy finds her engagement ring, a faded unreadable letter, and an equally faded photograph lost and overlooked for years in a musty flower pot, she knew she had a valuable clue. Slowly, with the help of her widowed neighbor Richard, and his two rambunctious boys that spotted a clue in the photograph right away-- Amy began to feel the necessity of sorting through her treasures and cleaning her house. to have Richard and his sons  over. The story flashes back and forth between past and present, and readers get a sense of Amy as a former artist/painter, her devotion for Tim, a musician in an up-and-coming Indie-Rock band and his love for Amy.  With a shocking conclusion, the narrative of Amy and Tim’s relationship tugs at the heartstrings.  (3*GOOD)  ~ ** With thanks to NetGalley for the DDC for the purpose of review.
3.5 This author was just brilliant at describing the personality of her title character, Amy. We learn early on that Amy is a buttoned up office worker, seemingly put together and aloof, but that her home life is quite a different story, she is still standoffish but her house is floor to ceiling chock-full of "treasures".  There is no doubt that Amy is a hoarder, but the why is what this novel is all about.
The author flips between the past and present to give us, first a back story, and then to finally blend her past and present together.
The damage betrayal can do to someone is amazing. Trying to fix the broken in you by fixing broken things doesn’t work, and Amy has a hard road to travel to get to that understanding.
The plot is curious and developed, while the writing is worthy.
THE MISSING TREASURES OF AMY ASHTON by debut author Eleanor Ray was a bit of a surprise – part romance, part mystery and plenty of details about Amy's hoarding tendencies. Traumatized by the disappearance years before by her boyfriend, Tim, and her best friend, Chantel, Amy collects all sorts of items (lighters, mugs, clocks, newspapers, flower pots and more). Years later, she is still struggling to come to grips with the abandonment (did they run off together?) when a new family with young children moves in next door, forcing her to begin to reevaluate her lifestyle. Elements of the plot are a bit obvious, but readers will develop affection and respect for Amy. THE MISSING TREASURES OF AMY ASHTON received a starred review from Booklist.
I shudder to think of what the pandemic would do to Amy Ashton!  Amy, whose boyfriend and best friend vanished one day without any notice, has become a hoarder.  While she still manages to get up and go to work every day, and seems to take care of her personal needs and hygiene, she has taken to collect things that fill the emotional hole left by the tragedy of being abandoned. When a new neighbor moves in, and the small children decide that Amy’s garden is a treasure trove just for them, Amy is given a push to make some reluctant changes.

Amy is a difficult character.  Even when we understand the root of her behavior, and her stand-offishness, she is not easy to like.  I did come to understand her, and to cheer her on as she makes more life-affirming choices over the course of the book.  I loved the children next door.  They appreciate Amy’s horde at face-value, and welcome her into their lives.

4 stars

You can read all of my reviews at Nerd Girl Loves Books.

This is a sweet Contemporary Fiction/Mystery that is a quick and easy read. Amy Ashton once dreamed of becoming an artist but after she suffered a terrible betrayal that she refuses to think about, she withdraws from the world and collects pretty things. Lots of pretty things. Her house is overflowing with pretty things, and Amy now loves pretty things instead of people because they won't leave her.

Amy's quiet life is disrupted when the house next door is sold to a widower, his two young sons and the widower's girlfriend. One of the young boys loves things too, and has a collection of bulldozers of his own. Before long changes in Amy's life begin to multiply, and she finally examines what happened to her. A surprise discovery in her back garden sets her on a mission to find out for herself what happened, and why.

The author does a great job of portraying Amy and how she's taken to hoarding things rather than working through her heartache. I liked how she showed that there is no quick and easy fix to Amy's fear and anxiety, and that no matter how helpful and good-hearted people may be, you can't push or intimidate someone to "get better" on your timeline. I enjoyed seeing Amy's growth throughout the book, and loved the two young boys she befriends. This is a sweet, uplifting book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and Gallery Books. All opinions are my own.
Thank you for an advance copy of this debut. The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton was an enjoyable read, deeper than I was expecting. Fans of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine will enjoy this book.
Eleven years ago, Amy Ashton suffered a tragic betrayal and it changed the trajectory of her life.  She once dreamed of becoming an artist but, instead, she simply began collecting objects, including lighters, ash trays, crockery and pots of all sizes, bottles, and mugs – just to name a few. Amy treasures her collections because she knows they will never abandon her.

Then a new family, with two young boys, moves in next door. Now Amy is forced to re-evaluate her life as she deals with nosy neighbors, an amorous co-worker, and an interfering government agent. Not to mention the new family that seems to be infiltrating her life and her heart.

The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton is a quirky, heart-warming, and engaging book, that includes an unsolved mystery. Although it seemed to move slowly at first, the pace increased as the story moved along.  I found it relatively easy to make some accurate assumptions about the outcome, but there were still a few surprises and the story had a satisfying ending.  All in all, I thoroughly enjoy Eleanor Ray’s new book.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.