Cover Image: Maxwell's Demon

Maxwell's Demon

I've put off writing this review for about a week but it doesn't seem to have helped; I have absolutely no idea what this book is about. I can appreciate what Hall was trying to do here but it just didn't work for me. I love a good mind-bending twist but either there were too many here or the resolution wasn't enough to make sense of them. all in all, i didn't enjoy this one, at all.
Very much in the take-it-or-leave-it style of House of Leaves (pun not intended) and other weird-format, surreal, experimental novels. Not my exact cup of tea but for those who like that sort of thing - such as fans of the author’s first book, from what I can tell - there’s no reason they wouldn’t also like this. Most of the references felt like typical obscure Wikipedia fare but I’m a nerd like that; that aspect (especially some of the Biblical history) could be a really engaging factor if any of it were new to a reader. Can’t tell whether the ebook was supposed to be really difficult to read because of the narrative plot of how one of the characters claims that ebooks are bad, or whether the publisher just can’t digitally lay out weird formatting in an accessible way yet.
Quirky and offbeat, this won't appeal to everyone, but it's a solid secondary purchase for most general collections.
It's a weird book, I stopped and started reading it more than once because I was fascinated by the weirdness and loved the style of writing.
It starts like a sort of "this is my life book" and then it mixes a lot of different things, from Bible to physic.
I think you can love or hate it, at the end I loved it.
It's a sort of lysergic travel and I loved but you must be ready for a trip.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I was excited to see a new book by Steven Hall, and I was glad it was mind-bending like the Raw Shark Texts.

I enjoyed the entropy theme and the story-within-a-story-within-... It is highly recommended for fans of Raw Shark Texts and other similar ergodic works.

I'm left a little unsatisfied with the denouement, but then here I am creating something out of nothing with my words.

The LORD said, let there be a GoodReads review, and the book was reviewed.

Thanks to NetGalley and Grove Press (if that really is where you work, Sophie Almonds...) for the ARC.
Perhaps more important than the mystery at the heart of “Maxwell's Demon” is the skillfully crafted feeling of perplexity. It was engaging and bizarre, with brilliantly shifting points of view, and a seemingly unraveling mind of our protagonist, Thomas Quinn.
The novel builds from a slightly sluggish beginning, with more narratively opaque sections, towards a gripping climax. Not a casual read, but rewarding for those who enjoy novels that plays more like an existential puzzle than a traditional narrative.
"Mister B. Gone" meets "House of Leaves".  This was a great read.  Every time I thought I was going to lose interest, it dragged me back in with a new twist or hook.  The ending went a little over my head (I'm not nearly smart enough for these meta-books), but I still enjoyed everything that happened, and how the narrative unfolded.
Even though I tried to read this, I couldn't, the start was interesting but then with every time we got to something that felt good, it wasn't, I didn't like it at all
Thomas Quinn is a writer who has not achieved the acclaim of his dead father Stanley or the huge success of his father’s protégé, Andrew Black. Andrew stopped writing and shrank from the publisher eye after a contractual dispute with his publisher.  Now, 7 years after Stanley’s death, Andrew sends Thomas an enigmatic letter that lures him into a mystery that becomes increasingly surreal.

I wish that I could tell you what happens in this book, but by the end I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I did really enjoy the journey though. It’s a trip through various scientific experiments, the work of Joseph Campbell, bee dances, the value of the written word and the lost Gospels. The writing was excellent and the plot certainly held my interest, even when I was totally lost. I think it helped that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Piers Hampton.  He has a wonderful voice and did a great job with the characters, atmosphere and pacing. I suggest giving this book a try if you are interested in having a different reading experience and don’t mind if your brain explodes a little.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
Saw some other mixed reviews on this but I really enjoyed it. It was fresh and engrossing. Maybe the subtle twists and turns didn’t work out for some folks. Sure there were plot holes, but they weren’t too bad.

Very unsettling read at times. Not too sure about the ending but I’ll keep ruminating on it.
DNF @50ish%

This started off intriguing, but then just got...weird. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It wasn't holding my interest, so I am throwing in the towel. Can't love them all, right?

**ARC Via NetGalley**
I have no idea how to explain this book, and I’m not sure that I totally got it, but I did like it. What I thought was going to be a story about the son of an iconic author trying to figure some stuff out turned out to be something far more complex and interesting than that. I’ll probably read it again sometime, just to see if I can understand it better.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc.

None of the characters were likeable and I didn't believe a lot of the motivations behind their actions, even before the Lemony Snicket-esque costumes and alter ego reveals. The setting felt confused between contemporary and futuristic and I had to suspend disbelief a lot to follow the plot. I have no problem with abstract writing and there were parts of this book I found enjoyable, but I felt confused and let down in the end. There was potential with the order vs chaos theme, it just missed the mark and probably could have used a little less chaos.
I tried to read this, but gave up about 1/4 of the way through.  It was definitely a DNF for me.  I would still read more by the author.  However, I just didn't connect with this story.

2/5 Stars
From the beginning this books is filled with such purple prose that it is distracting. It also jumps so much in thought that it can be confusing. Fans of speculative fiction might like this, but it wasn't for me.
I requested this novel based on a podcast recommendation, so it's not my usual fare but I thought I'd give it a go.  Unfortunately, this one is just way too in the weeds with science and religion (weirdly) and I bailed on it about 1/3 of the way in.
So I finished this book last night and I'm still not quite sure what I read. The first half of the book is kind of a slog and involves a lot of quotation from the Bible and physics principles. Some of it was formatted strangely on my Kindle making it impossible to read. The second half picks up once Thomas arrives in a small town to find Andrew Black. I finished it in a few hours eager to see how it ends. But now I'm just left confused. Imogen was Andrew Black the entire time? Is the baby even real? Unfortunately this book left me with more questions then answers.
I loved this. I didn’t think it would be my kind of book but I really enjoyed it. I’m so glad I was chosen to read this by email. Thank you. It’s such a good story. I couldn’t put it down,
3/5 stars

Thanks for providing this precious arc in regards to the publisher and author!

It was a fine novel. Not too dazzling but fine piece of work
Maxwell’s Demon by Steven Hall: first a thank you to NetGalley for giving me an e-copy of this novel in an exchange for an honest review.
This mystery/speculative fiction is about a failed writer, who one day receives a strange voicemail from his world famous father who happens to be an exceptional author..except his father is...dead. He also seems to think that he is seeing fictional characters in real life. What is going on?
📚
Okay soooo this one was not for me. So much of this book is presented in a really bizzaro way. There are pages upon pages dedicated to quantum physics, biblical studies, some really esoteric ideas. It was all a bit too much to grasp my attention and interest. Also, while I respect that those subjects could be said to add to the air of mystery, to me it felt like I was straight up reading a research paper. Like, what?!
📚
I couldn’t connect with this book, it was just all over the place for me. Although if you are into deeply philosophical novels with very factual encyclopedia-esque type style...then this may actually be appealing to you