Cover Image: One Day All This Will Be Yours Signed Limited Edition

One Day All This Will Be Yours Signed Limited Edition

In 100 pages Adrian Tchaikovsky sets up a complex time travelling universe where time is in fragments and no continuity exists. Within that he narrates (from his lead male characters POV?) about love, loss, existence, and evolution. It’s really quite an impressive feat for 100 pages.
The only downfall, for me, is that the leading lady he meets and hangs out with for a time is a bit blah. She’s interesting at first but quickly seems to just be along for the ride as a possible baby incubator. As though Tchaikovsky wishes he didn’t need her in order to keep his storyline of the possible outcomes of the future intact.
If not for this point, this could be a five star novella.
A wonderfully quick, science fiction, time travelling focused story. The perfect sort of teaser is you’re unsure about classic sci-fi approach. It has enough so you can get a sense of the genre; but not too much that most won’t get to the end and at least understand that most sci-fi is all about the ending. Especially in a universe where time is no longer linear, or even really continuous; it’s more of a moment that both exists and doesn’t exist all at once (yes that a Schrödinger’s cat reference as the icing of this little review. Lol.)

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.
I didn't know I needed Adrian Tchaikovsky to write a time-travel romantic comedy, but he has and of course it is brilliant. Perfect at its novella length, and surely ripe to be adapted into a film. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC
This felt similar to other novellas I have read by Tchaikovsky despite being a completely new concept and characters. In this case, a former time traveling stops at the “end of time” to prevent the time war from occurring again. The ending, which I won’t spoil, is abrupt and may not be everyone’s cup of tea but fit the narrative flow to me and the overall theme. I read it in a single sitting and enjoyed it, so I gave it four stars. It is a fun and light story. There really isn’t much character development and I would recommend it to other who enjoyed novellas from Tchaikovsky (his novels are very different in my experience and I loved Children of Time). The pet dino was also fun.
The synopsis is very interesting and I was sure I'll love this, especially as I thoroughly enjoyed some other books by Tchaikovsky, but unfortunately I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. I found there are elements missing from the world building and time-coherence, and I didn't particularly like the sociopath nature of the characters.
The one thing that saved it for me was the witticism and snarkiness of the main character.

* Plot: 4★
* World building: 3.5★
* Characters: 3.5★
* Sense of time: 3-★
* Coherence/Consistency: 3-★
* Language/Humor/Witticism: 4★
* Enjoyability: 3.5★
The problem with wanting to change things is that, well, things change. The problem with time travel – or at least scientifically-based time travel – is that the things that change are fundamental to the reason you time travelled in the first place.

In other words, it makes a mess. And going back to fix the first mess makes an even bigger mess. And so on and so on, ad infinitum, until history and facts and even ordinary causality are totally FUBAR’d beyond all recognition or possibility of repair.

In a way, that’s the premise behind One Day All This Will Be Yours, that the war to end all wars was a time war, and that all of the combatants – along with the governments and organizations that sent them – lost complete track of what they were fighting for, who sent them, why they were sent, and even, to some extent, who they were, because all of those antecedents had been lost in the continued fracturing and refracturing of time.

The past can’t be changed. Well, it can, but the result is just an increasing level of chaos. Which leads our unnamed and unreliable narrator in the Last Lonely House at the End of Time to his resolve to make sure that no one can ever restart the endless cycling chaos of time travel by sitting in that house with all of the best stuff that he has taken from all the best of all the fractured eras, watching and waiting for any errant time travelers to land their time machines in his backyard.

So he can kill them and prevent the time and place that they came from from ever developing time travel. It’s a lonely job, but this veteran of the Causality War has decided that someone has to do it and that someone is him.

It’s all going just fine until a time machine slips through his net from the one time and place he never expected to receive time travelers, because he believed he’d guaranteed that it would never exist.

They’re from the future. His future. The future he’s sworn to prevent at all costs – although admittedly those costs are mostly to other times, places, and people.

The worst part of this invasion from the future is that his descendants are perky. And determined. Downright compelled to make sure that he creates the future that gives rise to their perky, perfect utopia.

This means war.

Escape Rating A-: The surprising thing about this book, considering that it’s the ultimate post-apocalypse story, is just how much fun it turns out to be. Because in the end, this is a buddy story. It’s an enemies-into-besties story where the protagonists are absolutely determined that it not become an enemies to lovers story.

Because neither of them like the rest of humanity nearly enough to want to make more of it. Especially because that other side wants them to do it – literally – just so damn badly.

So the fun in the story is in the time bonding, as these two misanthropes who are supposed to repopulate the world exercise their determination to just say no, all while having a fantastic time time-tripping through all the best eras that fractured history ever had to offer.

Time travel can be handled any number of ways in fiction, all of them equally valid because we just don’t know – although it’s a fair guess that if humanity ever manages to make it happen we’ll probably screw it up somehow. This story treats history as one big ball that is endlessly mutable – then sits back at the end of the time stream to observe just how badly it’s been mutated.

Another book that did something similar, with more romance and less snark, is last year’s This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone. I wasn’t as big a fan of Time War as most of my reading circle, however I thought One Day was a really fun read. Last year’s book was less straightforward and more lyrical, while this one tells a similar story with a lot of gallows humor and it just worked better for me.

Also this is a more straightforward story – in spite of the time travel. There’s that fixed point at the end of everything that the characters keep returning to that helps to anchor the story. Any time travel they do together or separately is treated as tourism. Time is so screwed up that while they don’t have to worry about whether or not they change anything, they also aren’t interested in changing anything in particular. If the butterfly flaps its wings differently in the wake of their passing, they’re not going to be affected by it in their little cul-de-sac at the end of time.

But as much fun as this was to read – after all it’s a story about two people at the end of the universe essentially pranking each other into eternity – after all the laughs it’s kind of sad at the end. Because even by not doing the thing – and each other – that they’ve both sworn not to do, the thing they were trying hardest to prevent has happened anyway.

There’s no way to stop it except by starting another one of the thing they vowed to prevent in the first place. Whatever began the original time war, theirs will be powered by, of all things, irony.
Time travel is fun because it makes your head hurt (especially if the author takes a loose approach to explaining how time travel works).  Time travel is fun because of the nonlinear story possibilities.  Time travel is fun because you can see what happens when you try to kill your own ancestors.  This book has all of that plus dinosaurs and soviet-era tractors!  Honestly, Tchaikovsky has written a really fun novella here, fun and action packed and filled throughout with some casual misanthropy and regret over the consequences of tribalism and war.  An engaging, thoughtful read (even if I never totally understood how one could break the time line....).
I've heard a lot of praise for Adrian Tchaikovsky over the years but had never read him before this year. The first thing that caught my attention about this novella was the dinosaur on the cover but then I read the synopsis and I was sold! And this story was so much fun!

What would you do if your time war broke time? That's what this story explores. And it was a cynical portrayal of time travel and a time war and what someone would do to end said war. It gave me some serious This is How You Lose the Time War vibes and I loved it! I laughed so much while reading this and the farm setting at the end of time was a perfect main setting for the novella! It made me want a Miffly so badly!

I want to fangirl a little bit about how this story took the time travel trope and turned it on its head! At the first of the story, I thought I knew where the story was going but I was totally wrong. I was trying to mow my lawn while listening to this and I found myself standing in the middle of my yard just listening to the story. I was enthralled from the start.

I’ve had an ARC of this book for a while but I ended up checking the audiobook out from my library which was an A+ decision on my part. The author narrates the audio and his performance increased my enjoyment of the story. It's on the shorter side and can easily be listened to in less than a day.

I can't recommend this novella enough! I can't wait to dive into Tchaikovsky's backlist later this summer!
3.5 rounded up. It’s been a week since I finished this book. I’ve just been really busy, but I need to write a review at least to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with the ARC. What a relief that this ARC’s formatting was not a mess like the last wine I read.

This is a brief book about love in the end times of a time war. Sounds similar to This is how You Lose Lose the Time War. But that is where the similarities end. Firstly, this story is much more straightforward and the nature of the war not nearly as nebulous. Also, it is not your average love affair. In fact, there is nothing romantic that occurs at all. But they know what they have to do and grow together. Sort of.

The tone is humorous and had me snickering a bit here and there.

All in all, I quite enjoyed it. I wish I’d been able to read it in bigger chunks though. I think it doesn’t support an extended read. Try to read it in one go, if possible. Or over just a few days.
Brilliant and funny if your a fan of Adrian Tchaikovskys previous books you will not be disappointed with this one..
Another fun piece from Tchaikovsky. I was particularly fond of Miffly and I hope she is okay. She is a good allosaurus who did nothing but look out for her family and there better have been a plan to ensure that she survives the end of the end of the time wars.
I really enjoyed this sci-fi novella, this is my first time reading Tchaikovsky and it definitely won't be my last. I really enjoyed this take on time travel, it shows how it can all go catastrophically wrong and ruin the whole world. It was also a very humorous story and I really liked the voice behind it. I think this worked very well as a novella, it had enough time to explain all the time stuff and have a small plot. I did find it quite confusing for the first couple of chapters but after that I found it very enjoyable. The plot itself was nothing too complicated which made it easier to read with the confusing time travel bits. I'm not always a fan of time travel stories as the more you think about it the more complicated it can get. But in this case the complicated nature helps explain how the whole mess came about.

I loved that the main character had a pet dinosaur and used it to clean up his messes. The plot was good and for the most part very fun. I liked the openness of the ending, I feel it could have gone on longer but it didn't need to. I ended up really enjoying the characters, nobody was a good person and were not against destroying people and timelines to meet their own ends. It was a great story to show how time travel goes wrong and how something so complicated should not be messed with. It was so much fun, I liked when they went back in time and we see different figure from history. Overall it was a very quick and enjoyable read, I'd definitely recommend it.
A wild ride and not a little bit confusing, but in a good way. The plot was all over the place, though, and didn't wrap up very well. I'm not sure I fully understand what Tchaikovsky was trying to do.
At just under 200 pages, this was either a long novella or a very short novel, narrated by an unnamed narrator, the sole survivor of a time travel/time and space annihilating war, living alone on the last edge of time and killing any time travelers who make it there to prevent the war from starting again, when something happens that changes everything.  It’s both dark and snarky, confusing and clever, very readable but then sort of just ends.  I didn’t love it but it definitely was interesting.  Probably most interesting to me though was the contrast with the two other books by Adrian Tchaikovsky I have read, Children of Time and Children of Ruin, which could not have a more different tone, serious and emotional and really bringing characters (even non-human characters), so vividly to life.  It shows how versatile he is that this is so different, but I preferred those books.  3.5 stars.
"I am the full stop to the sentence that is human history. That's the point."

We never get to know the name of the main character of this time traveling novella.
But as he slowly unfolds his story, more and more details are revealed both about his past and his present life.
Because he now lives alone at the end times, also known as the postepochalypse.
Well, not entirely alone …

"She might be several tons of ravaging therapod dinosaur, but the old girl is also just a big softy; feed her and rub her tummy and she's yours forever."

His dinosaur pet Miffly keeps him company.
She's certainly one of the most original pets you'll encounter in a fantasy book.
Every scene with her in it will make you laugh. That's guaranteed!

"By setting up shop here where the regular passage of time recommences, and denying access to the future to all comers, I am saving the unseen future from interference. I am time's gatekeeper, and without me the future would become the same ruin as the past."

Our storyteller doesn't want history to repeat itself and thus sees it as his vocation to stop humanity.
He'll be the last survivor.
At least, if he can stop all the time travellers who succeed to get to the point where he's now.
As he says himself:

"I have come to value my solitude, here at the postepochalyptic end of time.  I don't mind visitors, but I make sure they don't stay long and, simultaneously, never leave. And I make sure nobody can ever come looking for them."

In order to maintain his goal, he regularly goes back to the past to set things right.
Lots of interesting thoughts are discussed. The only downpoint is that some of those interludes felt a bit like page-filling with repetition of the same ideas over and over again.
Luckily there's always humour present which gives a certain lightness to the whole:

"I do wonder whether the way things turned out after the Causality War was inevitable the moment someone invented the first time machine (and the problem with someone inventing the first time machine is that someone else immediately took a trip to ten years before and invented the first first time machine so they could grab the patent, and so on, and so on)."

This book offers an excellent mix of serious subjects (like war), funny thoughts (delicously black humour), an uncommon romance (just read it for yourself to find out), …
For people who already know the works of Adrian Tchaikovsky, this book is apparently quite different in approach than his other books. But after all, isn't that one of the main qualities of this author?
If on the other hand this is your first acquaintance with him, it's without doubt a very nice introduction to a talented writer.
A charming and quirky tale of time travelling in search of utopia, with pet dinosaurs and annoying relatives that just mess everything up! One of the things about Adrian is that he can move seamlessly from genre to genre. His characters are always plausible, relatable even if not always personable and well developed in a reasonable timescale. His writing style is fluid and engaging from the first chapter. This book was no exception.
I absolutely loved this book!! I read it in one day because I could not stop reading it. This was my first time reading anything by Adrian Tchaikovsky and I was pleasantly surprised.
Brilliant in so many mind-blowing ways. This novella starts a bit grim (it's the end of times after all) but at the end I was laughing. The shenanigans the relatable characters got into were so extremely funny.
I won't get into more details here because the less you know the better; just read this, it's one of the best novellas I read so far.
One Day All This Will Be Yours by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Welcome to the end of time! A farmer lives a quiet life in the aftermath of the Causality Wars, wars that nobody remembers because everybody was unmade. The past has gone, blown apart into chunks of time, which the farmer pops into in his time machine, gathering up goodies to make his life at the end of time even more perfect. Other people do turn up now and again, time travellers from the past, but he sorts them out, following a lovely meal and some polite conversation. There are benefits to having a pet allosaur called Miffly. And then the unexpected happens, the impossible, the future comes to visit.

Adrian Tchaikovsky’s science fiction is absolutely incredible, hugely clever, vividly imaginative and wondrous – Children of Time is one of my favourite novels of all time and I loved The Doors of Eden and Cage of Souls. I also love time travel books. The novella One Day All This Will Be Yours was therefore irresistible to me. And there’s a dinosaur on the cover. Oh yes.

Our narrator remains unnamed and our view of the end of the world, the Causality Wars, the broken past, is entirely his. He’s a genial and witty host, generously recounting his experiences of entertaining amusing and astonishing visitors who have come calling, as well as his trips to the little fragments of the past that survive. There is also the elaborate detail of how he keeps his present safe by fixing the past. It’s extremely jovial (albeit distinctly troubling), as he passes the time with us, and then everything changes when the future arrives and he meets his match. It’s fair to say that I was riveted.

As you’d expect from a time travel novel, there are more paradoxes, causality loops and upset space time continuums than you can shake a very friendly but always rather hungry pet dinosaur at. It can be complicated at times but I think you just have to sit back and enjoy it and not try and unravel it too much as that would raise some questions. It’s a novella and so it is short, at a little less than 200 pages, but it is meaty and, as it’s narrated entirely by this farmer, it suits the novella format.

I listened to the audiobook (which lasts three hours and something), which is narrated by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the author himself. I had my doubts about this as authors don’t always make good actors but Adrian is fantastic! As a result, I’ll be listening to more of his other books that I have yet to catch up on. He fully captures the wry humour of our narrator, his tormented personality, his (self-appointed) godlike status, and the sheer absurdity of the situation he finds himself in. And I loved Miffly. Listening to One Day All This Will Be Yours for an afternoon was a perfect way in which to spend time.

Other reviews
Children of Time
Children of Ruin
The Doors of Eden
Cage of Souls
With C.B. Harvey and Malcolm Cross – Journal of the Plague Year
How I Learned to Love the Time Travel Bomb

What’s a grumpy, misanthropic time traveling warrior to do? Governments and factions have misused time travel machines, each using their time machines to remake the past in the way they want it to be, over and over again. Time travel machines really are the ultimate weapon: if you go back far enough you can change history enough that your enemy never has a chance. Except that your enemy’s time traveling agents are cut off from those changes, so they’re still around to try to change history in a different way that favors them. And then there are Causality Bombs, “[f]or when regular time travel just can’t mess up continuity enough.” Now the past is irretrievably broken into shards and splinters.

So our surly main character, the last survivor of the time soldiers, has set himself up as a gatekeeper in a distant future to make sure it never happens again past his point in time. His tech allows him to pull all time travelers heading to the far future to stop in his particular place and time, where he can make sure they never go any further. And when that involves murdering said time travelers — he keeps guns, poisons and a feathery Allosaurus named Miffly just for this purpose (“she is ridiculously adorable when she’s not actually eating people”) — well, that’s just the way it goes. Until one day, when he gets an unpleasant surprise … from his future. Maybe, though, with the help of Miffly, he can solve this latest problem too.

One Day All This Will Be Yours, a new SF novella by Adrian Tchaikovsky, is wildly intelligent and imaginative, narrated by the main character with lots of irreverent and extremely black humor. You have to be able to enjoy a protagonist who, with no discernable regret, offs any number of innocent people in pursuit of what he views as the greater cause. One of the highlights is when he and a time-traveling antagonist engage in a battle in which each of them has pulled together an army of the worst villains they can find throughout human history: Stalin, multiple versions of Jack the Ripper, Vlad the Impaler, and many, many more.

"In the end there is only one of them left, and wouldn’t you know it, it’s Hitler. Basically because he’s been hiding in a bunker all this time. He pokes his head up, and I set Miffly on him. … It’s very therapeutic. And the thing about allosaurs is they can run really quite fast, and the thing about Hitlers is that they can’t, not really, or not for very long."

Tchaikovsky’s concept of time and causality being broken is uniquely executed here in One Day All This Will Be Yours. Our main character makes the most of his access to the past, both for pleasure and to enforce his idea of keeping the far future pristine. Of course, time travel fiction is replete with paradoxes, and everything here isn’t entirely logical — at least, my brain couldn’t quite wrap itself fully around this novella’s concept of time — but Tchaikovsky commits to it completely and pulls you along with him, immersing you in this fascinating and slightly loopy world until you really don’t care any more if it doesn’t altogether make sense.

My only qualm with One Day All This Will Be Yours is that its ending is remarkably abrupt, with reams of hanging threads and no real attempt at a wrap-up. I don’t think I fully get what Tchaikovsky was going for with that ending, other than (view spoiler), but even after a couple of rereads I’m still not a fan of it. As a whole, though, this novella is so very funny, creative and intelligent that I have to give it my strongest recommendation … at least if you’re a fan of dark, flippant humor.

4.5 stars.
Fun, quick read from Mr Tchaikovsky! A bit of idyllic #eotw calm, a sprinkle of all out chaos with a dinosaur (singular) and time travel shenanigans thrown into the loop. Loved the approach & the humour but found it a bit short - in hindsight though it probably rounds out rather nicely as novella. Will probably be writing something more extensive on GR.

... and yes I can still say I haven’t read anything by him that I didn’t like!